Santander Reviews

25% of reviewers recommend Santander

Tell us how Santander made you happy

Over a week
"This is a bank that very clearly refuses to help when you get into financial difficulties - let's just say they don't care - they fall back on "well you got yourself into this (even if you didn't). Quite happy to allow charge after charge to build up. Certainly a faceless company happy to fall back on "policy". Might be great having a free bank, but when things take a turn for the worst, this is NOT a bank you want on your "side". Pretty disappointed by Santander and their draconian policies."
Are you Santander? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Avoid business transfer... We transferred our internet business account from RBS to Santander but when finally completed the santander internet banking was view only access. We could not pay anyone! 48 hours later, 2 hours of phone calls, a fax and still no access! NOT good enough Santander! Customer services unable to help and couldn't care less attitude. Totally outdated system of transferring and setting up new business accounts - Avoid transferring to Santander business unless you want to annoy all of your suppliers and staff!"
"Blocked debit card without good reason. Kept me on phone for an hour then demanded I present id at a branch otherwise visa card would remain blocked. Refused to give reasons for blockage."
"Poor customer service experienced as senior citizens - went into branch to arrange changing our 123 accounts into a joint account but were told on the info/help desk that would have to sort out direct debits ourselves - total lack of awareness as to assisting less savy OAP's. Will change to a service provider who provide a more sympathetic approach to elderly customers."
"No idea how to support elderly citizens wanted help in amalgamating our two accounts to a joint account. We were told we had to do it ourselves. Will therefore have to close account and transfer to our bank who were most willing to assist."
"Have had no access to online banking for FIVE WEEKS now, despite Santander conceding that the fault is at their end. After numerous attempts with their staff to get me back online; their final comment was to say that "we still cannot understand what is going wrong at our end"! I declined their derisory offer of £50.00 to appease me and for my "inconvenience" and have advised that I shall be closing my 123 accounts. I rang them this morning in an attempt to arrange a meeting in Bluewater, in a last ditch offer of an "olive branch if my problems could be resolved. Their response was that this could not be arranged until the 10th. April 2019. I found this to be as insulting as the offer of compensation made to me, which I declined. My ratings of your Customer Services are as follows;..... Counter Service in Bluewater 10/10; Backroom service in Bluewater 4/10; Service from Mr. David Fleming in Belfast 8/10, despite being hampered by severe constraints on your "system". However, 10/10 for his patience! Overall rating of my experiences over the past five weeks 3/10. If you put any great value on your sanity, I would strongly suggest that you "SWERVE" Santander and take your custom elsewhere! Santander:......... please, please do not offend me further with you hackneyed platitudes; they have become ineffective!"
"The emergency 24hour number says the office is closed and no-one picks up the international number - been on hold for 40 mins listening to music. Shocking customer service. I had my wallet stolen and needed to cancel cards. All other banks had this sorted in 10 minutes. Still can’t get through to a human at Santander!!!!"
"DON'T use this bank. I'm at sobbing at home because of their treatment of me, then justifying it by saying 'it's our policy'. I own and rent out a large caravan in Pendine sands. Last year I took a deposit from a gentleman for his holiday this August. I gave him my phone number and my details. He then lost these details, so to contact me he went into his bank saying he couldn't contact me and that I must have scammed him. My card was stopped and my account locked. There was no pre warning, email text or anything, and the only reason I knew was because I tried to pay for diesel and my card wouldn't work, forcing me to call them for an explanation. I found his number on my bookings and called him. He was extremely embarrassed and said he'd call his bank right away, which he did. Santander then called again and I updated them. They said they'd lift the block when I could prove I'd given the service paid for. How do I do that when he's not taking the holiday until August? I've just called again. Once again I was asked for proof I'd provided the service so I had to say AGAIN what had happened. I was told it's policy to stop a bank card in this instance. I feel this is very wrong as this could have been sorted out easily without this. I'm really desperate. I'm going on holiday to Cyprus with my two elderly parents on Sunday. How will I pay for anything? What can I do? I still can't use my account. The one thing I WILL do is this... Change banks. I've been a loyal customer of theirs for almost 20 years. Such appalling treatment doesn't deserve my custom."
"Hi I got a bank account with SANTANDER more then 15 years and I receive a lots of money from my work and my small business here in Scotland Glasgow I have done business with someone back in January 2019 almost over 2 months ago and that person make lies complaint to his bank and his bank contact Santander and Santander suspended my account I didn’t had a phone call text message or email I found out last night as I was trying to get some money out of my account to top up electricity and gas for my house my account was suspended I call them worry and they told me that gentleman make complaint about the money he send back in January I explain to them that guy is the one who did problems to me and was wrong and I ask them if I can get access to my account to get £20 only £20 for my electricity and gas please I beg them again and again and again I was on the phone over an hour at Thursday 21/03/2019 I explain to them everything and I have two young kids can’t go to hotel don’t have family or friends here in Glasgow and they were so rude and so unhelpful disgraceful bank the worest bank I ever dealt with I never had such complaint never ever Santander is the worest bank to use. They advice me to go to the branch here in Glasgow Shawlands Arcade I was there on Friday 22/03/2019 am to show them proof I have about everything and they refuse to look at it and even to take a photo copy of my proof I am right now in Glasgow at 16/10PM on Friday 22/03/2019 and I have my two kids coming to my home tonight. How can I take care of them as I don’t have electricity at home or food my fridge is empty of everything because not electricity how is this Logan in the UK In Europe in this planet Santander is the worest bank In the history I am gonna get my money out and never ever ever to use it again or advice anyone I know family friends anyone. It’s disgraceful bank treating the customers with the worest pain you in life I am shock and very angry I keep calling them last night when if happened this morning and this afternoon at 15:00PM it’s the worest bank in the history I will closed the account once I take my money out sick bank treating me and others disgraceful way shocking unbelievable"
"I just wanted to pass on my thanks to Emma at Santander Windsor. My mother had died without making a will. As a family we needed to pay for my mother's funeral. After necessary security checks Emma was able to arrange for the bank to write a cheque for the funeral directors and close my mother's account. As the amount was under £50,000 it was not necessary to go through lengthy and expensive probate which we were unaware of. Emma was so kind and understanding at this very difficult time. Thank you."
"Santander security is busy frustrating genuine customers instead of chasing fraudsters. An encounter with a Delan in security was a nightmare."
"Terrible bank. Online advisers are from HELL. Security team, they are callous over the phone. block genunine for no reason. they will not stop fraud but great confusion for genunine customers. KEEP OFF THEM."
"Awful brand and service"
"Excellent help and advice"
"Incompetent morons. I have had the same phone number for 22 years. It has been registered for Internet banking for about the same amount of time. I can see it on my Internet banking page right now in the Personal Details section. Santander, however, maintain that they have a different number for me for the purposes of making on-line payments (OTP code). As I do not know what that number is, they refuse to help me. They entered some random number on their system and want me to guess it!"
"santander bank in halifax town centre the business manager is amazing relly helpful and friendly"
"wont allow me to access it and are returning all my direct debits and standing orders. I have made a complaint via the complaints department as nobody in customer services was able to help, but they can't either, my caseworker tells me the person he needs to speak to isnt replying to his emails or calls. What sort of organisation is this?"
"Screwed 3 times in last 4 months by this bank. From a teller entering the wrong deposit amount to holding $28,000 check for over 6 days with no good explanation as to why to a mortgage loan officer in Perth Amboy bank who has no idea on what he's doing. I'm finally done!!"
"Would have to be one of the worst banking interface, online and mobile apps you can get..! so 1980's and cluncky.!... please take a leaf out off ANZ or NAB banks in Australia.! seamless intergration, app's are modern and online banking is simple with much simpler logon security systems. Your just OLD HAT Santander, no state of the art banking with you guys."
"Worst bank in town"