Saga Home Insurance Reviews

0% of reviewers recommend Saga Home Insurance

How would you rate Saga Home Insurance ?

"If I could have given SAGA no stars that would have been a more accurate representation of my experience. ON NO ACCOUNT USE THIS COMPANY. After having our house and contents insured with Saga for a number of years we had the misfortune of having to claim for a nearly new TV resulting from two parts of the stand separating. On contacting the number on the policy details for claims, which turned out not to be SAGA at all (they only leverage the Saga name to sell policies), we were told we were not covered for electrical or sound system items at all, despite our policy saying otherwise. Their claims are handled by a company called RSA which are the biggest bunch of shysters on the planet. On phoning Saga to ask them to sort out this misinformation regarding our policy Saga agreed we were covered and eventually RSA agreed they had liability. You would think that would be the end of the matter but far from it. RSA then falsely reduced the payout by claiming they could replace the TV cheaper by claiming it was available from John Lewis cheaper than the replacement we had purchased. Unfortunately for them my company has contracts with John Lewis and they confirmed that was rubbish. These people are dishonest shysters, pure and simple. Given that Saga are known for selling to older people, who may well not have challenged them or felt intimidated into accepting what they were told, it is disgraceful behavior. DON'T GO ANYWHERE NEAR THEM."
"Poor customer relations and no morals steer clear"
"Do not use this insurer! Involved in a road traffic accident on 23rd April. No correspondence from them and now 23rd May. Car has sat in garage since 27th May and estimate only approved on 21st May as there was a computer glitch! I have personal injury cover and sent them doctor's assessment (cost me £21) stating I have whiplash for which they won't reimburse me as they said they are admitting liability on my behalf - I do not accept that I was responsible for the accident!"
"SAGA just don't care about 92 year old lady whose flooded bungalow is uninhabitable. NO HELP whatsoever. Do not use them"
"3rd March 2018 - extremely busy time for SAGA and all insurance companies should be NO EXCUSE for neglecting the conditions of the insurances. MY 88 year old Aunt has paid for years, her cold water tank froze and brought down the ceiling into her sitting room/dining area/kitchen - water went into the bedroom she was sleeping in - so lucky she wasn't underneath the collapse. She was assigned an agent to take care of her only to find he phoned her bungalow phone number - she couldn't be there - she had to go to her son's - the care has been almost nil - she should have been offered a hotel that day, plus a promise of when the builders could start - they are dragging their heels and not fulfilling their side of the contract. The stress may kill her. The family are of course doing their best but she is in quite a state-she needs to be told what will and won't happen and when. rubbish service. 6April 2018"
"Saga's Home Emergency Insurance is not worth the paper it is written on. During a recent very cold spell, our boiler refused to start one morning and would not respond to the usual trick of hot water on the condensate pipe. After trying for almost an hour I decided to call the SAGA Home Emergency Insurance number. I was greeted by a recording telling me that due to the inclement weather there has been unprecedented demands on their resources and I should call out a local tradesman and reclaim the cost back from them. What ....?? We are an elderly, vulnerable couple now in a home without any heating whatsoever with outside temperatures of -4 deg C and no other telephone number was provided so that we could speak to someone and explain our position. Our roads were not blocked by snow: traffic was moving freely. I took out this insurance so that THEY would initiate the call-out. In the end I resolved the problem myself and also resolved to get some compensation back from SAGA. However, as noted on this and other review sites, SAGA just pass the buck. They just don't want to know. Despite their name being plastered everywhere on the Home Emergency information booklets they claim that the underwriters (AXA-Assistance) are totally responsible. So Mr SAGA why is it named SAGA Home Eergency Insurance? Why do I pay SAGA? Why do SAGA provide ALL the documentation? Don't be fooled by the 5* Defaqto rating. That is based on what they say they will provide and not what actually happens in pratice - as I discovered. I will never go back to SAGA, I cannot forgive them for this one. I recommend you think twice before spending money on this useless insurance."
Elaine Smith
Verified Reviewer
"It is very important for potential Saga customers to realise that Saga are merely brokers and hand on the insurance to little known insurance companies who are immune to contact when there is a major issue. 10 weeks on I have been unable to resolve the buildings claim on my mother's property and am facing, according to Saga a further 4 weeks delay. I would like to post a favourable review for Saga but until this issue is resolved that is impossible."
Chris Wilson
Verified Reviewer
"Had a water escape from a toilet at 0600 am, as we had Home Emergency Cover I called them for assistance. I was told, we don't have your policy number on file. I explained I had the certificate in front of me and it was still valid. The man o the phone said we are AXA and Saga have not given us your details so you will have to call them later. All this time I had a water escape which I couldn't stop. We called back at 0800 to be told Saga dont start until 0830. My wife stayed off work and called back at 0830 to be told Dynorod would call you within 2 hours. 7 hours later , yes 7 hours, Dynorod called to say they would be with us between 1200-1700, the next day! I quote from the policy booklet 'What is a home emergency? Put simply, for the purpose of the policy a home emergency is an event that happens suddenly and unexpectedly and needs IMMEDIATE action to a, prevent damage or further damage to your home or b make your home safe secure and inhabitable.' By 1630 today, we had heard nothing from AXA, Saga or Dynorod. I must say that at 6pm last night I called an emergency plumber at my own expense who attended within 30 minutes and had the job done an hour later. Just called Saga, who told me it was nothing to do with them, even though they sold me the Saga Home Emergency policy, and was AXAs problem. Apparently, Dynorod cancelled the job (nice of them). Would not now buy anything off Saga, they are a disgrace."
"This happened in 2006/7. First time I have come across this review site so things may be different now. Had a burst pipe in kitchen that went unnoticed for several months as it was under kitchen units and vinolay. Base of very expensive hand made units were all damaged beyond repair. The assessor claimed the doors could be rehung on off the shelf carcasses in spite of four independent quality kitchen fitters and makers saying the doors were not a standard size and would overhang at the base. It took twelve months to finally resolve the situation after threating to go the ombudsman, and all this time we had trench across the kitchen floor where we had to dig it up to find the leak."
"Saga Home Insurance trade under the reputation of Saga, that trusted brand name for the greying over 50s generation ... that's me nowadays! We're mature and smarter, we're savvy shoppers, we believe in value for money. Ha, and don't they just know it. So the brochures look great, the bullet pointed benefits seemingly have most things covered, the website's slick ... all designed to get your valuable grey pound. But hey? What's this? Has anybody ever heard of the insurance companies they are actually just fronting up? I certainly hadn't when it came to make a claim. The first mention of the Insurance company came when their Loss Adjuster sent a 'rejection of claim' letter to me! Ah well, I'm a mature guy as Saga quite obviously know, I can take a 'knock on the chin' better than most, got enough grey pounds now to keep myself fed and watered. Thank heavens I've learned my lesson before any real life threatening calamity befell my family and I. Don't be fooled you good folk out there ... Saga are a mean-hearted business, just trying to make easy profits out of their brand strength from the Buildings insurance business .. AVOID"
"Biggest scam ever experienced. Took out their insurance for home emergency. Very quick to take your money. But when it came time for a claim, they stepped back and pleaded ignorance, claiming that a third party uses their name and provides the services and thus they are unable to assist. Third party turns out to be none other than the AA and they turned out to be just as devious as SAGA and started delaying tactics then sending their inspector 10 months later, to be told the emergency leak was to be paid for. Now SAGA, have played a cunning ploy. The same home home emergency policy can only be taken in conjunction with a SAGA home insurance policy. Double slam dunk by SAGA. Thank you SAGA, thank you for robbing elderly customers of their hard earned income and delivering ZILCH."
"no roofing cover with my policy after a £60.00 increase in 2years"
David Mansworth
Unverified Reviewer
"Unless there are two totally different companies trading as SAGA, then you should look long & hard at SAGA and think before taking any insurance out with them. They are only agents and although work hand in Glove with the insurance companies they pass all responsibility and basically shaft the customer when assistance is needed. as below explains; . After many years with SAGA. I like so many reviews here found them to be good for price. Alas that should raise several warning bells. as after many (over 11) claim free years (40 years driving) the following happened. I experienced a incident last year where a van caused a crash for cash incident. No damage to me but presented a many thousand £ claim. And despite my first reporting to Police and fully detailing matter to SAGA. (but not making any claim as the 30mm paint chip to my N/S bumper corner/edge was not worth claiming & marking record for) Providing police report and all letters to & from, and also to their insurers AXA Insurance LTD (SAGA are only agents they don't insure you) they increased my insurance by over 50% (£100+) and reduced my NCB this despite it being totally claim free & 11years protected. Which I paid extra to protect NCB. Now left saga and they have left the penalty to file. and despite many many requests they wont correct file blaming Axa Insurance & they in turn passing the proverbial bat back to SAGA. leaving the scammer richer by thousands & me penalized by marked NCB file Although I never made any claim on the policy, they still increased.and marked NCB file. Beware when insuring with saga !!! .Avoid SAGA and AXA Insurance. . I bet they won't publish this review."
"I recently took out Saga Home insurance to start on 5 July 2017 policy no. 992558257. The premier policy included home and heating emergency cover plus an annual boiler service. An email letter from Saga dated 30 June 2017 advised me to contact 'phone no. 08000271342 to arrange the boiler service. I rang the number and was told to call the correct number 08000923288 which I did only to be told that this was not the correct number, I in fact need to call 03300241259. As it was I was transferred by the operator on the previous wrong number however the new operator advised me that she did not deal with boiler service and I need to call 08009047509. By this time I was somewhat fed up, to put it mildly and was on the point of cancelling the policy. But not one to yield to corporate inefficiency I spotted another number on the Saga letter that dealt with 'any queries concerning your policy' I called this number (08000569051) explained to the operator the above frustrations to which she said 'no worries' a statement I was forced to disagree with, and said she would contact Axa. After several minutes the operator got back to me and confirmed that incorrect information was in the original letter and Axa had the boiler service booking and would soon contact me. This unnecessary shambles should not have occurred, it has left me in a position wondering if I have made the right decision in choosing Saga to insure my house and property."
"Obtaining the insurance was quick and easy on the Go Compare site and got what I considered a good deal. About a month after setting it up, I moved house just 8 miles to a very similar area and when I tried to change my address they told me my premium would increase by close to 90%. I couldn't believe it at first so called them. They looked into it and the person who called me back also couldn't believe it, but said there was nothing they could do about it because they had no or little risk information about my new home location. I cancelled the policy and found the same insurance with Admiral for a price within 3% of the cost of my original policy with Saga."
"Bought comparable cover for approx. £120 cheaper. Were told (by Liam) we could get a pro-rata refund for home insurance if cancelled within 14 days. but when we did we were also charged £20 admin fee!"
Saga Home Insurance is rated 1.06 based on 16 reviews