Real Gap Reviews

of reviewers recommend Real Gap
Email, Live Chat, Telephone
Read Real Gap Reviews

social@realgapexp.co.uk

Real Gap Experience, Top Floor, 121-123 Mount Pleasant Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent,

Tell us how Real Gap made you happy
Real Gap 5 star review on 23rd February 2021
Rory Watkinson
Alexandra Williams
September 2019 my 18 year old son travelled to New Zealand with the help of Real Gap Experience on a working visa. He had an absolute ball - made incredible friends, worked for 4 months, mostly in a Vineyard Restaurant and travelled across both Islands. Unfortunately due to Covid-19 this all came to a dramatic halt as the country went into lock-down. As a mum I can't express my gratitude enough to the team - in particular Matt Latimer who was constantly updating me around how we might be able to get him home - a situation which was changing by the hour. Our son is now home BUT wants to go back as soon as he can to squeeze everything he can out of his working visa! THANK YOU for giving him the courage to do it in the first place - life in England is now slightly boring!
Thank you for your review Cheryl, it is really appreciated! We're glad to have been able to help, and we hope he is able to continue his adventures in New Zealand soon!
I volunteered with Real Gap in Nepal teaching at a Buddhist Monastery. Firstly, be aware that the money they charge for the trip is excessive and you could do the exact same thing for half the cost. Also be aware that a lot of the things they claim are not true and be prepared to be put in very awkward situations due to their bad organisation and communication. You must also be prepared to have to buy resources such as paper and pencils for the children you are going to teach as it doesn't seem that any of the money you pay goes towards that. You may also be told that you have a choice as to which monastery you stay at. However this is not true as you will be taken to which ever is more convenient for the team to drive you to. Along the way we met many other volunteers from other organisations who were in shock when we told then the price of our trip as they had only paid a fraction going through other organisations. My biggest disappointment of the trip was our organised trip to Chitwan Safari which you'll find the majority of is already paid in your package yet you still have to add $50 when you actually get there. This weekend almost ruined my whole trip. It was awful to see chained up elephants that are beaten in order for tourists to ride them. Our guide was confused as to why we weren't enjoying seeing the process they go through to train the elephants, which includes separating the calf from its mother. The visit to the breeding centre was so upsetting I wasn't able to take part in the evenings activities. I am disgusted that Real Gap supports and advertises animal cruelty. Their elephant riding industry will continue to thrive due to organisations such as Real Gap providing them with regular tourists. I 100% do not recommend Real Gap, however, I do recommend visiting Nepal as it is a beautiful country. My trip was saved by the amazing monks and other volunteers I met along the way. But please be aware that you can do this trip yourselves or with other organisations that will only take a small percentage of what Real Gap charges.
Hi there Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we really appreciate your feedback. Our prices are in line with similar experiences offered by UK travel agents. Please bear in mind that when you book with us you're ABTOT protected, the project has been fully risk assessed and you also have access to a 24/7 emergency helpline. A portion of your money also goes towards our operating costs in the UK which provide you with a personal travel coordinator to help you get everything organised and answer any of your questions before you go away. Whilst it may be possible to visit Nepal on your own accord for less expense, the majority of our customers choose to book with us because of the security (both financially and from a safety point of view) that Real Gap Experience provide. We're sorry to hear that you had an upsetting experience in Chitwan National Park. Exploitation of animals for tourism or any other means is something which we do not support. This has not happened before and we will be raising this with our local team immediately to ensure that it does not happen again. It's great to hear that you enjoyed visiting Nepal as it is such a beautiful country. The work you did at the monastery is much appreciated and we hope that you'll choose to visit Nepal again in the future.
The team were attentive before I left, they were attentive in Thailand - the opportunities that I had were some that I would never have had without this trip. My group were incredible, we all got on like a house on fire. I couldn't rate this trip any higher, I loved every second, and cat wait to use real gap again
Vietnam experience- Arrived and told we were no longer with real gap and now bamboo. This hadn't been mentioned before. Accommodation was extremely poor considering how much money we paid. Woke up with bed bugs and a few of us were ill which I'm sure is due to the poor living conditions. Went on a pub crawl in Mui ne with the manager of the resort where he told us that he would be taking drugs. Made us feel extremely uncomfortable and completely innapropriate. A lot of the things were missed from our iitinery as we "didn't have enough time"
Hi Lauren, Thank you for your feedback. The Vietnam Experience is an exclusive Real Gap Experience trip, which is operated in Vietnam by our partners, Bamboo Travel. This information was detailed in your online account in advance of travel. We are sorry that you felt dissatisfied with the accommodation and we are investigating your concerns with our in-country team. The pub crawl in Mui Ne is an optional activity that is not operated by us or our partners. We are sorry that this experience was not enjoyable. We have made a complaint on your behalf and the resort manager in question has since been dismissed. We really appreciate your comments about the Vietnam Experience. We always value customer feedback, and we will be sharing your points with our team in Vietnam.
Every service you provide is highly inflated in price and you take money from organisations trying help the poorest and most needy people in the world. You also rip off those (volunteers) who are trying to do something good. I'm gutted to have used your service, complete waste of money.
Great service so far from Real Gap. After having to reschedule our trip to Thailand (due to COVID 19) they were very quick to reply and sort out any changes we needed to make. Looking forward to travelling with them for our trip next year!
Thanks for your comments, we appreciate you taking the time to leave them, and we are looking forward to you travelling with us next year 😊
I've booked my dream trip to Bali through Real Gap and can honestly say I've received amazing service from them. Unfortunately due to covid-19 I've had to postpone my trip but the Elisha and the team kept me up to date with changes and help reorganise with no issues at all! I want to thank them for still working so hard throughout these hard times and I cannot wait to go to Bali, even though later than expected just means something to look forward to more!
Thank you for your review Francesca, it's really appreciated! We hope you have an amazing trip to Bali 🙌
Great support pre-trip from the team, incredibly helpful in regards to all questions. The trip itself was great from start to finish made better by our amazing group leader Beth! As everything is organised it really takes the stress out of travelling and it is a great way to ensure that you see all of the best bits!
Hi Cai! Thanks for much for taking the time to leave us a review. It sounds like you had an amazing time in Bali :)
very responsive and happy to put up with the most unorganized of people!
Hey Max, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review - we really appreciate it! As travellers ourselves, we're always keen to help out with advice as much as we can! Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with :)
An unforgettable journey through the north of India now came to an end. Very good organization, great people and breathtaking moments. Definitely want to come back.
Hi there Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in India. Please get in touch when it's time for your next adventure!
Oli and Hannah made the booking process easy peasy and the flights team sorted everything out for my 4 month trip which took a lot of hassle out of my life! Plus the lights were so much cheaper than I had budgeted for so I could spend the extra money on the Bali Beaches tour. Plus I liked that they re-instagramed mine and other peoples photos.
Real Gap 5 star review on 24th July 2017 Real Gap 5 star review on 24th July 2017 Real Gap 5 star review on 24th July 2017
Hi Philippa Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're so glad to hear that you had an amazing time and we hope we've inspired to to travel again in the future! Thanks for sharing your photos with us throughout your journey - we loved keeping tabs on what you were up to!
The team at bamboo were great the trip covered the main sights of Cambodia and there was never a dull day
Great adventures and exciting people!
The South Africa Experience was truly amazing - all very well organised and every accommodation we stayed in was great! Wasn't able to interact that much with the animals on the reserve as hoped but you can pay extra for activities to do this - really recommend the Cheetah Walk and Elephants! Best part for me was the Shark Cage Dive!! Also, Cape Town is beautiful shame we don't have more time there so would suggest staying a few extra days after the trip is finished!!
I was lucky enough to travel to South Africa to do the horseback conservation programme. In this time I saw rhino, zebra, various species of antelope and birds. The journey over was as smooth as could be when travelling alone and being picked up from the airport was a massive bonus!! The people are some of the nicest people I've ever met and were incredibly welcoming and had amazing local knowledge and make you feel like one of the clan in no time at all :)
Real Gap 4 star review on 29th September 2016
Although I enjoyed the site seeing aspects of the trip and the yoga classes, this trip is unfortunately not worth the money at all. I was expecting the accommodation to be basic, but it was poor. The sheets were not clean when I moved to my shared room, the bins were not emptied regularly which is not good as you have to put toilet paper there not the toilet and the bathroom was filthy. There were cockroaches in the bathroom and our room. Also the water didn't always work so you couldn't always take a shower. I was excited to try the traditional Indonesian food in the canteen which they do offer, but people on the program got food poisoning regularly and had to see a doctor so I ended up having to eat out a lot which makes the trip more expensive. The coordinators in Penestanan were very friendly but had poor English. This didn't bother me most of the time at all but it only became a problem when I was trying to book a taxi to the airport. They told me a taxi was booked but it didn't show up. I called the office and they couldn't understand me at all and hung up the phone, when I called back they didn't answer. The activities planned are good, but honestly if you are planning to go to Bali you can book these excursions so much cheaper yourself so I would recommend that. The plus points were that I met some lovely people, I was just disappointed that the trip was not worth the money.
The trips that the company offers are great; usually well organised and lots of fun. But the services delivered from Real Gap itself are poor, as I was given wrong information when booking and emergency contact details provided were wrong. As well as this, there was a problem getting refunded for a trip that was cancelled, which is booked through the company
Hi Ethan, Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed our trips and had lots of fun on your travels! We are sorry to hear you about the trouble you had when travelling. At the end of April Real Gap Experience was purchased by Gap360 and since then we have re-checked and revisited all our suppliers, documents and trip itineraries to ensure information is correct and new processes that will let you know if there are changes (we always try to avoid changing trip itineraries). We’re also pleased to say that we are launching a new system that 'saves' all correspondence along with a new and improved online account with a clearer design and accessible pre-departure information. We always value customer feedback so thank you again for your review. Real Gap Experience
The overall experience was good but i was very disappointed with the accommodation offered. The bungallow was 10m from the beach but that was the only good thing about it. It was old, sheets had holes in them and seemed overused..no colour left in them. There were a lot of ants so i had to buy a bug spray to kill them. It only had a fan, no aircon. There was a small private bathroom with cold water only. No perimeter for the shower either so the water would go everywhere. Toilet seat was disgusting and had to cover it. The mosquito bed net was in a horrible state and i didn't dare to touch it. I would have rather not have it at all. Windows had nets so that stopped mosquitos from coming in. Wifi was barely working. You could get aircon, brand new bungallows with 1k baht a night and it would have been cheaper to pay for everything separately. The scuba shop was amazing on the other hand which made my experience better. Dealing with the staff at Realgap was a pleasure. I would definitely choose RealGap for another trip but I'll have to double check on the accommodation, that wasn't very pleasant.
Our experience with African Dawn Bird and Wildlife Sanctuary was incredible - I would recommend it to everybody. It was a great way to interact with the African wildlife and get heaps of hands on experience. However, a friend and I booked through Real Gap Experience - paying approximately $1,300.00 (AUD). When we reached African Dawn we made a few friends, and we found out most of the people who organised their trip paid directly to African Dawn. They paid approximately $200.00 (AUD) a week. So, overall we paid almost $1,000.00 more to Real Gap to organise this trip for us (which did not include flights, travel insurance, etc.). Real Gap did though, for our extra $1,000.00, send us a few emails, have an emergency phone number, and organise our transfers.
Greater communication between booking and arriving would have avoided problems on arrival. Some of the initial information was misleading such as distance of animal sanctuary from the nearest town. When I queried location for inoculation purposes I was given different information. I enquired about booking the airflight with them. The flight cost given was considerably higher than I had found on Expedia and my email had not been read correctly so the dates did not match the dates I had given. Although I stated that I would be staying in Ecuador for a few days after the volunteering and would not be returning straight to Quito, this was not relayed to the local organisation and so they had booked a hostel room for me. The meeting with the local agent was good, the taxi driver hired to take me to the bus was excellent. The hostel was very poor. I had asked if I would need Spanish as I have none. I was told no as English was spoken at the project. That English was spoken at the project was correct. Not at the hostel where I was booked in, fortunately a little by the taxi driver but that was fortunate - I found very few taxi drivers, shopkeepers or hoteliers who spoke English. Given that the arrival day is Sunday, many places were closed and the hostel could not even muster up a cup of tea people need to be told to buy plenty of water at the airport before leaving it and food if possible. I was able to find a pastry shop open, otherwise I would have had nothing to eat. The volunteer project was brilliant.
Real Gap is rated 4.66 based on 509 reviews