Hsbc Reviews

10% of reviewers recommend Hsbc
2PM
2PM

Tell us how Hsbc made you happy

Over a week
"spent four days trying to open a bank, used the phone set up, used the online help - all useless. Nothing worked, they try to cut staff and do everything online which does not work"
Are you Hsbc? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"On-line fraud We have been holding a regular account (no business) with HSBC for 14 years, mainly used to pay utility bills and regular expenses. We have been victim of a fraud by a hacker. During the on-line fraud, my wife alerted HSBC whilst the transactions were still happening. Our call was on hold for about 15/20 minutes before been able to speak with the fraud team. HSBC has been unable to stop a 15k transaction to a fraudulent Barclays account. After days we received only a letter blaming us for lack of protection of our secure details. Nothing was mentioned about them releasing an unusual payment of 15k without any check… no call or text has been made. Nothing was mentioned about lack of security from Barclays opening fraudulent accounts. We are a standard family planning ahead every investment and this matter has permanently affected our future plans. Now we are no longer HSBC customers anymore. I am writing this to warn future consumers."
"My relative is UK born, but has lived in Zimbabwe for past 60 years. She has a HSBC account in UK which HSBC made dormant and are now refusing her access to her savings until she proves her identity. HSBC had no problem with her identity talking to her by phone over past 10years; no problem with identity supplying her with a debit card sent by courier service and no problem with her identity sending private & confidential statements to her home in Zimbabwe. She is now terminally ill, confined to a wheelchair and has not been able to leave her home for 4 years. The mental stress is unbelievable, but HSBC seem quite happy to condemn her to a premature death, by withholding her only means of buying the health care she desperately needs. They even asked her to supply a copy of her bus-pass!!! She lives 6,000 miles away and has not set foot in UK for over 20 years!"
"Held an account with HSBC for around 16 years. I have no credit card or overdraft. My wages are paid into the account each month. Also hold my savings accounts with them. Recently scrolling through their website realised I qualified for their Advance account. Contacted the call center after around 45 minutes of being on hold finally get through to the Advance team to be told I don’t qualify due to my poor credit rating. This baffles me. They get my money every month. They know the state of my accounts. What purpose is there for a credit credit check? The operator told me it was to ensure I’d be able to keep up repayments on my overdraft or credit card. As stated I have neither. Extremely annoyed as it’s just withholding perks that should be offered as a loyal customer. Seriously considering changing banks."
"I woss in FINCHLI Road 122. London NW3 5 JD to upgrade my account I was served by Seema Panda it incredible service. BEST SERVIS I got So Far ever. She voz very frandly and helpful. And Myne Thanks."
"I have banked with hsbc for 35years our family have never had a problem with this bank the staff have always been so helpfull .After reading some reviews i just cannot understand how so many people were dissapointed .Last week i was in the holderness road branch in HULL when i mentioned it was mine and my husbands 60th birthday the teller was so lovely she even sent us some boxed flowers which was a lovely touch its not something i thought a bank would do .Once again keep up the good work ."
"Hsbc closed my sons account in Jan19. He was advised a cheque would be put in the post on the 1st Feb we are now on the 11th April. No money no cheque. 8 to calls no solution 11th april i have been advised the cheque will be put in the post today."
"Never open an HSBC bank account! The app is rubbishy I cant manage my direct debits or transfer money between accounts. Telephone customer service is a nightmare. Two hours on the phone trying to close my saver account and get it transferred to current account. The customer service personelle are in another country and don’t seem to know what they are doing, putting me on hold for long lengths of time. I am closing my account as soon as possible moving to another bank."
"Never use HSBC as a business account. It's an awful headache in every way possible."
"I got into big financial difficulties, with HSBC giving me massive credit card and overdraft limits. I had a couple of other credit cards too. Virgin Money at least stopped the interest on my credit card while I pay it off over the next 5 years. HSBC greedily charged me 16% on a consolidation loan for my debt with them. They are making around £10,000 in profit on the loan. And they love it. Scum."
"Today I was in 122 Finchley Road HSBC branch ,just to help one of my friend to open an account, The Lady Seema Panda ,she was very friendly, professional polite and helpful,she not only helped my friend to open an account,talking to me,when she learns I’m looking for a credit card, Seema after completing my friend’s account,helped me to get a credit card. She showed me how to apply for a credit card online and get a decision immediately,I never imagined it will be so easy and quick... I’m really happy with the service I got in the branch Thank you HSBC"
"Why do you keep charging me for Hsbc advance card and overdraft services when I have spoken to you couple of times to cancel it due to my I’ll health that has caused my retirement and unable to pay. You deduct the money for life cover and critical illness cover which I never benefited. Why are you stressing me this way."
"The most bureaucratic bank in the world. Try to open an account with them and they will flood you with paperwork and passwords/codes for online banking. An absolute nightmare."
"Taking long time to review an account Seriously which bank takes 6 weeks to review an account and still tell to wait? More of a joke"
"Do not like the new website. Writing too small for me and difficult to read being pale grey type not black. Too many boxes open, which made it very confusing for me as a senior citizens. May look to move our money elsewhere, at a site we can read without a magnifying glass."
"There is too much wrong with the High Street Banking *unts to cover in this short review. But, to those familiar with Star Wars - think of “the dark side”. Think of pure evil. That is my experience of HSBC and I despise them for what they have done to me. A truly wicked organisation."
"Worst bank ever"
"HSBC may be "the world's local bank", but more notably they're the world's worst! I have never had a worse banking experience than with HSBC, they are unhelpful (especially to existing customers), uncompetitive (both in terms of lending rates and banking services) and moreover they're completely incompetent. Thankfully it's been years since I held a current account with this shameful institution (never again shall I make that mistake) but last week I foolishly applied for a 0% balance transfer credit card with them. I'll bullet-point the chaos that ensued to save time: - Nearly a week after my application, without providing even an email confirmation to acknowledge that they had received it, they finally contacted me by email to request further information. - Despite me passing a credit check with ease, they requested that I upload copies of my last 3 payslips and last 3 month's bank statements. In hindsight this was a ludicrous request considering I had passed the credit check, but I figured I was committed by this point so I obliged and uploaded the documents through their frustrating online service. - A further 2 working days after this (again, no email confirmation) I finally receive a call from their frankly downright rude and abrasive credit card team. They start by challenging my declared salary, insisting that they've 'done the math' and it adds up to less than I've declared. Now, like any normal human being on this planet, I know what my annual salary is - so I questioned what 'math' they had done to arrive at this bizarre conclusion. It transpires they are calculating my annual basic salary post-tax and post corporate deductibles (company benefits, pension, etc.). That's not right is it? Damn straight it's not right, in fact, I've been back to their online application screen since to check and it clearly states that they want your annual income BEFORE tax. In any case, there was no reasoning with this particular moron who was adamant they had read my payslips correctly (they hadn't - my salary before tax is clearly stated and if you multiply it by 12, guess what? it adds up to my declared annual income!). In less polite words than I'm using now I 'requested' that they cancel my application and swipe their 0% card somewhere other than a card reader. - 20 minutes later I applied online for a similar card with Santander. - My application was accepted immediately. The moral of this story is: DON'T EVER BANK WITH HSBC, EVER, FOR ANY REASON! With love, Sam"
"I gave them 1 star but if I could I would have given minus 1 as they are so bloody bad, HSBC let thieves take money from my account £99.00 and £94.00 on the same day and the same amounts 14 days later. I had to visit the branch as trying to understand the operatives at the Indian call centre was like trying to knit fog. I started a dispute of trying to get the money back but it seems the fraudsters gave the bank false evidence and the bank found in their favor and took £386.00 from my account and paid the fraudsters. So we are moving our 3 accounts to another bank."
"Dreadful! I've been with them for over 20 years and they confiscated money from my account - bouncing all my Direct Debits and VAT payment. They confiscated the money because they needed more proof who I am - this was AFTER a visit to my local branch with my passport and utility bill and numerous phone calls and emails with the details."
Hsbc is rated 1.44 based on 312 reviews