RAC Insurance Reviews

58% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"RAC had decided To take virtually all aspects of my score down to 0 despite the car not moving! They are constantly taking my score down drastically, which would be fine of there was justification for it. When reviewing my journeys there are not reports of speeding or harsh breaking, yet my score is randomly lowered without explanation... also very high price point. Feels like one big money making scheme, attempting to make your score lower so that the charge increases in the following year..."
"They charge £25 to make even the tiniest of changes - like a date of birth. Total rip off for something that takes them seconds to activate. Shameful treatment of customers and unlikely to retain their loyalty."
"They charge customers extra for NO FAULT CLAIMS and they take 7-10 working days to refund your money. Especially when they take your money out immediately!"
"Every time I enquire about a temporarychange to my policy there is a £25 admin fee before anything else is added. In over 35 years of insuring cars I have never previously experienced such exorbitant charges"
"Through comparison website my cost is 780 gbp . Renewal through RAC directly £1408 . Same company , same cover , same details . What a renewal rip off . I won’t be using RAC again on principle . Best quote was £680 through another provider ."
"i would never use RAC again, i was 10 months into a policy, had a small accident so they wrote of the car. Not only that but they then proceeded to cancel my insurance and take the money that was owed for the remaining tens months in 1 foul swoop (£800) because i didnt purchase and insure another car within a week of getting my payout although not once did they mention this to me when i made the claim or in a letter when i received the payout. To add insult to injury they also wanted ME to pay the cancellation fee of £70 because THEY cancelled the policy despite the fact that i still needed the policy for when i purchased another car so i have had to take out another insurance policy with another company for the same period of time that i paid RAC for. Also dont expect them to call you back or leave a message. i phoned them up about 6 times in 1 morning and they blatantly lied to my face telling me their manager had tried to call me back despite the fact i told them i work in a noisy enviroment and please leave a message. not 1 missed call or answerphone."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 8 months ago
"Wife had her bonnet come up due to failure of the bonnet catch and failsafe catch, damaged car whihc was eventually written off. We had protected NCB and the renewal cost has now gne up by 300%. They say they are honouring the NCB but the premuim has juped due to the "accident". They were difficult to deal with assessor was downright rude when dealing with us. Avoid like a dose of the clap"
"I used the enquiry number for members, just one option after another to be selected taking an age to actually speak to a real person!"
"Steer clear of these Guys they rip you off"
(Home Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
"Making a no fault claim has been a farce. The RAC promote the services of Enterprise, who arrange repairs and car hire. You end up doing the chasing of the other insurance company, getting the other party/Enterprise/RAC/repairer to talk to each other. When I have made a claim in the past I have gone to the broker who sorts everything all out for you, seamlessly. In this case RAC is the broker, it is not a seamless process. I would not recommend RAC in this instance."
"My son had his card and called the rac when his car broke down we waited over an hour then when the guy came he asked if that was his card as it was added to our membership later he said it was and when I got out the car and asked what was wrong he said sorry and fixed the car we are still with them but not sure if we will be next year"
"Wouldn't recommend for learner or new drivers. Black box policy is reasonable price (£550 approx) while learning but rockets to almost £4000 when test passed. To add to the insult when cancelling the policy they say throw the black box away having charged to fit it! Then had to pay £150 to new insurer to fit another one as they're not compatible. 😩 Add all that to hours on hold and no I wouldn't recommend them. Saddest thing is that nobody reads these reviews so confirming the view that RAC have no interest in customer service."
"I had a no fault car accident nearly 3 weeks ago. My car has still not been looked at, been passed between RAC, Enterprise and the underwriters with no communication between any of them. Enterprise are regularly ringing me up to say they are taking action and then nothing happens! No single point of contact to deal with my claim. I've made so many phone calls. Incredibly frustrating and confusing. Avoid."
"All seemed fine until I bought another car and wanted to extend cover on the original until the date of sale....this has not been a problem with previous insurers. They didn't seem to know the details of my existing policy and advised that a seperate policy with their relatively high temporary insurance cover was the only option plus admin fee for changing original policy. Not impressed."
"I just completed my year with RAC motor insurance, during which there were no issues (I did not make any claims). Towards the end of the year they sent me a letter saying they would renew my insurance for £434 - it said I didn't need to do anything, I could just sit back and it would all be taken care of. £434 was much more than I had paid, and would continue to pay with other insurers (I pay around £250 a year). So their 'sit back and it will all be taken care of' was more of a 'if you are not on the ball enough to ring and change this, we will sting you'. I did ring - I requested that they did not renew. Then on the night that my insurance expired, I got an email saying they were renewing it. The email was - suspiciously- sent 3 minutes after the helpline closed, so there was no chance for me to stop it happening. I rang the next morniing. The advisor was helpful, but it will take around 2 weeks for the £434 to be repaid into my account."
"I'll be reluctant to renew with this insurer .. they treated my no claims with disbelief.. and within a couple of days of my joining them , threatened to cancel my policy ,although I had contacted my previous insurer the proofs I needed from them were not coming through quickly enough for RAC.furthermore when I made a change of address.. the guy I spoke with needed a lesson in civility... Even though they'd just charged me £50 for admin fees ...never again"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 years ago
"Accident last Nov 2015. Still not fixed April 2016. Awful experience. RAC simply bounce you to an insurer and overcharge for that service. The insurer they lumber you with Ages is rubbish. RAC also tried to charge inflated recovery package on renewal. I bought another cheaper povider with better package. Definitely will never use RAC again as insurer. They simply don't care about the customer. Loyalty is not rewarded. They just increase charges each year for no reason. Better to use another broker."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 years ago
"I MY CAR INSURANCE ,I added my wife as second driver at that time she had professional licence .after 3 months she passed full driving licence. I contact with rac and update my wife driving status but they didn't update my policy. They forced to cancel my policy and given new 1 year policy and take £625 extra. .. After 1 weeks I got new cheaper policy from tesco. .I cancelled rac policy and save big money"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 years ago
"I had to speak to 3 advisers to clarify the price and terms of my policy. Only one of them knew what he was talking about, also extremely accurate, patient and polite. This was the second one . Both first and third were obviously in need of more training.... The third adviser tried to make me pay £25 for asking to correct their own mistake about my actual profession when I just received the policy by email. Before agreeing to purchase the policy I had to really "fight" to get the right price matching the quote obtained from a comparison site and the end of the day I paid £245.20 instead of £222.87 only to realize later that I have paid more for a lower level of cover .... I am still waiting for a refund of £397.66 from a cancelled policy. I feel that this was not a good experience and I don't wont to reiterate it next year."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 years ago
"WHEN I WENT THROUGH ON TELEPHONE TO CLARIFY POINTS AND GET DIFFERENT QUOTES THEY COULD NOT PULL UP MY REFERENCE NUMBER AND TOOK OVER 20MINS BEFORE FINDING MY QUOTE. THEN THEY TOOK ME ALL THROUGH THE DETAILS I HAD PROVIDED AGAIN, THE FASTEST DEALING WAS THE ENQUIRY FOR DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS OF QUOTES, AND AS IT WAS A PREMIUM NUMBER I GOT THE DISTINCT FEELING THE IDEA WAS TO KEEP ME ON THE PHONE AS LONG AS POSSIBLE AND IN THE END THE CALL COST ME £3+ PLUS A SURCHARGE FOR CREDIT CARD PAYMENT SO IN THE END I QUERY WHETHER I GOT THE GOOD DEAL QUOTED ON "GO COMPARE". THE REASON FOR AMENDED QUOTES IS RAC HAVE FINISHED DISABLED MEMBERSHIP AND THERE "BETTER" MEMBERSHIP IN MY CASE ISN'T."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 years ago