RAC Insurance Reviews

Cancellation Process
Difficult

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy
I am
Horrified with the experience and service I received I paid £250 upfront they sent me black box i I stalled it I only did 3 journeys didn’t speed once- I was then receiving constant alerts when I wasn’t even driving advising my score had dropped below 75 it was on 39 , If it goes below 25 it would be cancelled I then read the reviews on RAC all awful every customer seems to have the same experience the black box does not work I called them as it was causing me to get very stressed they advised as I braked my score was low?? Everyone has to use there brake to drive they could not give me any other explanation as to why it was so low. I asked them to cancel it they are only refunding me £45 when I’ve not even used the insurance for a week charging me £125 cancellation fee I will be contacting the ombudsmen as the black box is a scam it doesn’t work it’s not real data please save your money and STAY AWAY this black box insurance needs to be shut down my last black box my score was 80/100 so I knew it wasn’t being calculated correctly I’m appalled by the service and the fact they have had me of for nearly 200 never ever ever would I go near or recommend this insurance I’m horrified . Con artists
Had the box for a week driven the car twice my score is awful even though I have not gone over speed limit once telematics box does not
Work and produces fake data 2 the ones for brake and acceleration does not work so it’s not giving a true reflection of my score I will be contacting ombudsmen
I would not recommend RAC Car insurance they tried to charge me £55 before the 14 day cooling off period and 11 days before my insurance actually started.
The advices was very patronising telling me it was against the law to drive a motor vehicle without insurance. The position I hold there is no doubt I would have already know this.
I got a fare better deal from another insurance company.
The one star was because I couldn't give no stars.
RAC will not refund on an insurance policy if you are forced to work from home due to COVID 19 and if you want to make any changes to the mileage you will be charged an admin fee.
Never ever use this company. Do not believe a word they say or a quote you are given or anything. Do not be sucked in by their initially cheap pricing. Awful, I hope they cease trading.
The black box drained 3 brand new batteries along with quadrupling my insurance payments after the first year! Not only this but the app would record false data and reduce my driving score even if i hadnt driven my car in days. If you must get a black box please choose anybody but RAC.
The black box simply does not work, most of the telematics are simply wrong, it gave me a low score once, and I never even used the car. It keeps coming up with 'tamper' messages, the website never works, emails never arrive, it's like a cheap chinese watch. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
Good if your car is in perfect condition, but if you have a cheap run around which isn’t perfect this policy isn’t for you. They fitted a telematics box on my car, they sensed an engine fault without it even becoming a dashboard light or causing any real problem with the car (apparently an intermittent water sensor) then continued to phone me for months and months ( mostly while I was actually driving, which in itself is a big wtf moment) and when I took it to the garage multiple times they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. Good insurance seeing as breakdown is included but a total ballache
ok not bad
They are selling telematics insurance but their feedback system which is supposed to show you your driving score just does not work at all.
You then receive emails saying your driver score is too low & your policy is at risk of being cancelled however, you literally cannot see your driver score anywhere because their feedback system doesn't work.
Customer service team are useless and basically just tell you that you will have to believe what RAC are saying because they can see the scores fine on their end????
I had to get my blackbox replaced by one of their engineers because it wasnt working properly.
They still refused to reset the driver score despite the blackbox not working properly so they are relying upon faulty telematics data to determine a driver score which you can't even see.
It has been more than 2 weeks since they refit the box and the portal still looks like this: https://pasteboard.co/JxFgom4.jpg
Spoke with customer service who confirmed that my policy is still active & fine etc but they can't do anything about the dashboard errors because they don't know what's causing it.
They are still trying to charge a £300+ cancellation fee because I am unhappy with the dodgy telematics device & portal they are marketing as 100% functional & working.
Just go elsewhere for insurance as this is literally a scam.🤡🤡🤡
The insurance itself is a known company and they also answer calls when you need to get in touch. However, the black box that they use is terrible. If you accelerate badly once your score will drop fully or if you have one slight heavy brake it will also drop, the main problem with this is that no matter how many good drives you do (with no ‘faults’) your score won’t increase. Your score is also determined on when and where you drive (night and ‘urban’) and to me decreasing a score because you have drive after 6pm is extremely disappointing, this also applies to where you drive as they say driving in busy roads is dangerous (I can understand that but sometimes you don’t have a choice). Overall, I don’t recommend this insurance to anyone.
Horrendous to deal with , they renewed our policy before drawing the money from our bank , then said they couldn’t get their money ,but our bank said that they didn’t ask for it !
We couldn’t get through on the phone , now they are charging a couple of pensioners over £90 to cancel. We also were supposed to be self isolating but had to go to our bank .
We are blue chip type of customers , if that’s the way they want to run a business I can only see them going bust ..
Don’t use !!! We are also with Direct Line and have been insured with them for over twenty years and have used them for our second car now .. It,s there loss ..
After unexpected sudden death of husband I phoned RAC to change the main driver name. First attempt fell on death ears. Second attempt at changing name cancelled my insurance. I did not know this until somebody reversed into me in a carpark and RAC told me that I was not covered!!!! In the end I tracked dates of conversations and they found my policy. Today I have had a phone call from the third party's insurance saying that they are not getting much help from RAC and their client has admitted responsibility. DO NOT TOUCH WITH A BARGE POLE AS THEY DENY YOU ARE INSURED!!!!!
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY
We took insurance with Ageas whilst a provisional licence holder and checked out the prices when I passed which were acceptable. 6 months after the policy incepted I passed and called them to pay the extra premium. I was told Ageas can no longer do it as I have now passed but I can take another policy with Ageas. I lost 6 months NCB and have to have a black box for another 6 months - DO NOT USE
Signed up for car insurance back in June as they had the cheapest premiums available, and it was not a black box policy which was great.
Unfortunaley my car had a head gasket failure and it was time to get rid of it and start looking for a new one.
Read lots of bad reviews regarding RAC cancellations but I got through to a woman from sunderland and after explaining, my policy was cancelled within minutes and I was charged the normal cancellation fee of £55. Since I rang up 1 day before the next month started, they had already started taking around £40 so the cancellation fee I had to pay had deducted this so only had around £15 to pay. Lovely woman and lovely service :D
Very quick and easy to buy insurance. Documents provided straight away. Great service.
Absolutely terrible. They have a facility to show where you accelerate and brake, they claim that they do show them. However here is the catch. My black box score keeps dropping for no reason, and is triggering "events" these events should be displayed on the driver dashboard but aren't. Taking to Financial ombudsman if they do not have an answer.
Having Purchased Car insurance from RAC, we received a letter stating that we had not declared a claim, and a surcharge imposed! Following phone calls to RAC we were asked to produce documents from previous insurers proving there was only one claim. RAC could not apparently view this on their systems.
Having produced documents from both previous Broker and Previous insurance company, the extra charge was still not reimbursed, and the 2nd claim had not been taken off policy, on telephoning the RAC to cancel the policy, they now could miraculously see on their system that in fact the ONE claim had been duplicated!! On requesting that the policy be cancelled, we were informed that the charge for the 10 day period of insurance would be £79!!!!!!!!! Policy CANCELLED, cannot trust these people!!!!!!!!!!!
I inadvertently insured my previous car by mistake. It had been part exchanged for a newer car and insurance taken out with a new insurer. After 8 months I realized. Was told by customer service that if I obtained a confirmation letter from DVLA, I could apply for a refund. I was charged £50 cancellation and £10 as I cancelled the direct debit payments. I have paid £140 to them for insurance on a car I didn't have. My mistake, I know, but they are so limited in their understanding. I have now been contacted by Credit Control (Lydia) asking for £20 which is the final month's outstanding payment which I am not paying. I have never made a claim in all the time I have insured with them. RAC could not offer me a competitive changeover to my new car and charged a horrendous admin fee hence I took out a new insurance. My mistake cost me £150 and they are now asking for a further £20. DO NOT USE THEM. Customer service is rubbish - you have to hang on for 15 or 20 minutes at least and then you can't hear them. 😠 😱
Im writing this as my driver has been sat on the side of the road for the last 11 hours. 3 hours ago I was told by the RAC that there was a tow truck with my driver. So I went home as I believed the RAC that they had a recovery truck on site after a five hour wait. I have now returned to the office after going home, having to pay for a cab to go back to work as my driver rang me and told me he was still there. And there was no tow truck with him. Why Lie to me. I am now on the phone at ten to midnight for the third time, asking why they lied and where is my tow truck. I have been told that the contractor will be up to another to 2 hours. My advice, if your considering breakdown recovery do not consider the RAC, especially if you are a women on your own. Do not put yourself in this position. Being left on the side of the road for over 12 hours is bad enough without being lied too. Don't ever use the RAC, stand in the street and burn your money, its better value then this service. Anita Cockburn.
RAC Insurance is rated 2.51 based on 881 reviews