RAC Insurance Reviews

50% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"New policy this year, lost my wallet and hadn't got a new card just before my monthly renewal and got charged £20 for a late payment - literally nothing I could have done about it. Contacted customer services and was told that a refund would be unfair on other customers - seems like they are being unfair to everyone to me. "Customer is always wrong" mentality, won't be renewing with them I can tell you. AVOID."
"Claimed for water damage. This has taken in all.... 6 weeks in total. Firstly told me to get my own builder.. Then had to send everything over to them.. Email. They didn't agree with this. Got there own people to come look.. 2 men.. Then after over week of that advised my builders were cheaper after all... Then got told last Monday it wld take up 7 working days for funds to be paid into my account. Called following Tuesday. Got told it won't be in till Thursday. Worst insurance company I have been with.. Never again!! Stressed to the max."
"Took out a car insurance policy with breakdown. No RAC Breakdown card or permission to use the breakdown app. Then charged me another £8 a month when I put on my Private Registration. See what happens my renewal is due."
"Disgraceful after sales service, appallingly expensive, difficult to contact and shoddy business ethics."
"Be careful of the cancellation charges they apply if you cancel before you finish the ‘12 month contact’ you enter into. Daylight robbery."
"Took out RAC travel insurance in January 2019 for a trip to Australia in October. Unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with cancer in April. I informed them of the fact and that her treatement is now finished and she has been cleared to travel in October. The RAC said to continue to be covered we will have to pay them an extra £200. Apparently it is in the policy document somewhere. Cancelled and got a better deal (with the cancer diagnosis) with InsuranceWith. They take you money but will worm their way out of any claim if they can. Don't trust them."
"5 weeks since I had my car accident and despite numerous phone calls and an official complaint my car remains unfixed. This is a disgrace of a company and I would advise everyone to run away from them. They weren’t the cheapest either. I’ve never been involved with such an incompetent bunch of employees and am currently now involved with the ombudsman. I wouldn’t even merit this crowd with one star if I had a choice but the system doesn’t allow me otherwise."
"Been on hold for hour Bet if I selected new customer they would answer straight away Use someone else Or if you have hours to spare listening to hideous music select these guys"
"I switched from another provider as I wasn't happy with renewal quote. RAC beat quote by a square mile and even though I haven't had any need to claim the paperwork /policy etc. were handled professionally."
(Home Insurance) - Posted 3 months ago
"Very nasty on the and and charge for anything they can. cancelled my insurance and said, I would pay the cancellation fee next week , Then I was asked about my financial situation . I would honestly not recommend this company to anyone. please shop around."
"The worst company I’ve ever dealt with, completely inept staff with a non existent level of customer service. I’m now into week 4 of a no fault claim. This company have asked me to attempt of retrieve information from the police so they don’t have to pay £90 to get the report from them. I have had to ask around for dashcam footage and a witness, basically I’m doing their job for them!! They have sat on their hands and been extremely unhelpful. I had a hit and run by a local building company delivering building materials to my property, they reversed their van into my car then denied they had done it but fortunately a neighbour witnessed it happen. A no fault accident - Rac insurance expect me to pay £400 excess and take the claim against me, it makes life easier for them! Not a chance!! So I sit here with no working vehicle while they twiddle their thumbs, rather than obtain the police report and arrange a courtesy car and the repair of my car. I’ve been shunted from pillar to post over 3 different companies. I’ve spent £40 on phone calls so far but the disinterest I’ve experienced has been shocking. I would NEVER USE RAC insurance again and will make sure everyone I know hears about this pathetic excuse for a business. They also encompass SAGA insurance so be sure to avoid them too. I’ve never experienced anything like it. Disgraceful!!"
"Contacted them 3 weeks ago when a car scratched mine at the petrol station. Passed from pillar to post ever since. Various people ringing me regarding the repairs all telling me something different. Absolutely awful service and so stressful. Almost identical incident last year while with Tesco insurance who I'd been with for years,A all done and repaired in less than 2 weeks. I certainly won't be staying with RAC when it's time to renew!"
"Just called RAC insurance to inform them that I had sold my car and they automatically cancelled the policy. I explained that I will be getting another car within the next few days and they said that I couldn't insure a car that I don't own, I explained that I had no intention of cancelling the policy, I only need to hold it until my next car comes. She was having none of it - cancelled policy - charged £55 for them cancelling the policy and I now have no insurance at all so potentially can't pick up a car and call them to put it in cover. Be warned - this is just a moneymaker I have never been treated like this by any insurance company but I will certainly be asking a lot of questions before taking out another policy"
"Very helpful and polite ,straight to the point would recommend them"
"I joined them in April, 2018. In February 2019, I bought a breakdown cover with an agent outside a supermarket as it had tyre cover which the breakdown cover on my insurance policy did not offer. I was aware that it overlapped with my existing policy for 3 months but wasn’t bothered as I liked the tyre cover option on it. In April 2019, I had an automatic renewal which included a breakdown cover even though i had purchased it separately. When I rang customer services (second week of April) to check if I could cancel it I was told that I could but no refund would be made. How they could think one car would have 2 breakdown covers is beyond me, they blamed it on the computer so I moved on. 2 weeks ago, I called them to make a claim. I was referred to my underwriters co op, which was the first time I heard of them being my underwriters. Getting a courtesy car was a nightmare, I was on the phone all day to them with no result. Following day, I was offered a car from enterprise which was nothing like my car I had to pay for an upgrade. It took them 11 days to authorise the repairs to my car and on the 13th day I was asked to return the courtesy car. When I phoned them to check what my options were as my car was still getting repaired, I was passed onto several departments ( without the courtesy to tell me I was being transferred). Lack of professionalism from the agents. At some point I was informed that enterprise rentals were the ones responsible for what courtesy car I was entitled to and the duration so I was transferred to them. I was transferred on to M&S car insurance at some point. An hour and a half later there was no positive results, so I gave up. My claim is still existing, more stressful days to come."
"Took out insurance with RAC black box, was told someone would contact me to install box, no one did, tries to book appointment on line but the system didn't work, now been on hold for 20 mins"
"I bought motor insurance from the RAC this year(2019) for the first time. I thought the price was very competitive, too good to be true that I even took out protected No Claims. I decided to pay by instalments, and the first two payments were fine, then I forgot the due date of the Direct Debit. I got a email to say I have'nt paid the DD and therefore defaulted which will now cost me twenty pounds on top of my monthly payments(thirty seven pounds). I thought oh dear, I'll ring them up to say sorry I'll pay it into their account. I asked that the default fee be rescinded, but the woman on the line was having none of it, no more than it says so in the terms and it must be paid by a certain date. When I checked the terms, it also states they will charge fifty five pounds cancellation fee. This is particularly unfair if you have sold your vehicle and therefore would'nt need insurance anymore. I've now concluded these people are just simply ripping off the public. They are the insurance equivalent of the airline in Ireland that advertises very low fares, but makes it up on various back door fees. I have'nt checked, but it will most likely be a roll over contract, and I certainly won't be using these pickpockets again, nor would I advice anyone to use them. They are nothing more than regular thieves hiding behind a famous name. AVOID I tried to give a one star, but the site won't work at all."
"Never been able to access the online self service due to 'Maintenance' errors. Policy is finally about to end and they send me a letter saying I will be auto-renewed. Can't access the online self service, no reply to my emails and the phone line is down outside of general working hours. No idea why it has to be so inconvenient to contact the insurance company..."
"Disgusting service insurance is lower if u add a drive if u want to remove they charge I for that and insurance goes up they having a laugh"
"Will never recommend or use again.."
(Home Insurance) - Posted 4 months ago