RAC Insurance Reviews

71% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

How would you rate RAC Insurance?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

342 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
Susan

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about RAC Insurance in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
Susan
"I used the enquiry number for members, just one option after another to be selected taking an age to actually speak to a real person!"
"I have been with RAC for car insurance for about 6 years. They are not the cheapest on the market, but you only get what you pay for. I had a non-fault accident five years ago, and claimed via RAC. The procedure was quite straightforward. I received whiplash injuries after my car was struck in the rear. Because I had taken out Legal Cover, a firm called Minster Law dealt with my claim, arranged physiotherapy for my neck problem, and obtained a settlement for over £2000 for me. My car was repaired and returned to me and a hire car was available during repairs. Every firm will get five stars for arranging to take your money, but how many will give you the high class service that the RAC gave me when I needed to claim."
"I was paying 50 quid a month. I added my brother to it ( same experience, no car accidents etc) and it went up to 72 quid ( not to mention admin fees I paid). Now I want to take my brother off from the insurance and they told me it will go up to 92 quid if I want to keep it solo!! Now I have to wait for a contract to finish before I can leave those thiefs otherwise they would rob me of cancelation fee. Scammers. Worst car insurance in UK. Avoid like fire."
"We've been members for some years and not used their services, so had planned to stop it. However the direct debit didn't stop and we needed to use them 3 times within the first month. Great service by thoughtful, polite and professional people."
(Home Insurance) - Posted 2 weeks ago
"I had a claim being struck by a lorry no fault to me at all the driver admitted liability whilst making a claim I was asked on the phone link 1) Do you want to keep your protected no claim bonus 2) Do you want to keep your access, obviously this is the case in a no fault accident, then you end up with a car rental "partner" company that will lend me a car and send mine to a breakers not happy, it took me 11 phone calls to actually contact the insurance underwriter direct and they sorted out my claim and repairs. Absolutely disgusting customer service. When renewal came up I was told my policy had gone up by over £100 owing to my accident when i rang up the idiot at the other end said that the accident was down to me and that was that, I actually contacted the underwriters directly AGAIN and they sent me a copy of the third party resolved claim for my records. What an absolute waste of space,"
Jackie. Edinburgh
Unverified Reviewer
"Spoke to an RAC representative about my policy as I had moved to a new address . Five mins away from my previous address. They managed to bump up my policy cost by an extra £14 pounds a month . Charge me a 25.00 admin fee and re-charge me interest for the new policy even though my existing policy was due to end in two months. Needless to say I will not be renewing with them in March . Nothing more off putting than being ripped off."
"I have listened to the blurb twice and it does not allow you to enter a quote reference number"
"My car insurance policy expired the end of the year. I received no notification before it expired of the premium RAC planned to charge me for the following year. Instead I got an email demanding to know why my bank had declined a payment for renewing the insurance at a premium double the amount of the previous year. I told them that of course they had declined it because they had given me no advance warning of the cost and it was more than I intended to pay. They also said that I would incur a late payment fee of £25. I fought this one and it was removed as unjustified. I found a cheaper and better policy and transferred 8 days into the new year. I paid RAC £10 to cover the insurance for the few additional days I had gone into the new year and was told this was the last payment I would have to make. Since then they are demanding £25 for cancelling a policy I never intended to renew and would have cancelled before the renewal date if they had contacted me before the policy expired! Three letters demanding £25 and a referral to day to a credit agency is the first time I have discovered that this £25 is not a late payment but a cancellation fee. This is downright sharp practice. I am being asked to pay for the RACs administrative incompetence and they are now involving a credit company for recovery. Be warned!"
"Very good service. Very pleased."
(Home Insurance) - Posted 1 month ago
"RAC don't actually do car insurance. They will take your money and then pass yo to Aviva if you have a claim. Trying to deal with Aviva is nigh on impossible. I registered a claim on the 2cnd December 2018, it is currently January the 9th and I have not had anything done. I am currently on hold (20 minutes so far) trying to get them to do something. Luckily my car still drives or I'd be in real trouble. NEVER use RAC car insurance"
"Steer clear of these Guys they rip you off"
(Home Insurance) - Posted 1 month ago
"waste of my time, after listening to the longest ever terms and conditions for what seemed an eternity. I expect to hear a bit where the insurance company covers itself but i have never heard anything like it. it went on forever......i was warned by the nice young lady that it would take about 30 mins to get a quote!! obviously i questioned why it would take so long but agreed to give it a go. 10 mins in and we are still on my details, they wanted to know everything! when i heard the question on what date did you pass your driving test? i was 17 and gave a rough month as i have no idea ( i am 46 ) we cannot go any further unless you have the correct date she exclaimed. At that point i knew this wasn't going to work. If you have time to spare and like listening to someone speak at you then the RAC is perfect! otherwise go somewhere else and enjoy the 15 mins of it on something entertaining."
"All great...so far. Acid test comes if I need to claim"
(Home Insurance) - Posted 2 months ago
"Stay clear be aware"
SBAZAI, 20 YEARs RAC Member Wants To Say Now Good Bye To RAC
Unverified Reviewer
"RAC is one of worse service in UK, their response time over the phone is only 50-60 minutes and their rescue time is 6-7 hours in cold weather. Your will hear a nice music and advice over the phone. You will loose your all day if you got membership with RAC. You may die in cold weather if wait for RAC so it is better you immediately organise yourself an alternate service for hotel or for Taxi."
"Very pleasantly surprised that this company could provide a very comprehensive house insurance policy at a VERY competitive price. Hope they can femain competitive at renewal time."
(Home Insurance) - Posted 2 months ago
Andrew Simpson
Verified Reviewer
"Making a no fault claim has been a farce. The RAC promote the services of Enterprise, who arrange repairs and car hire. You end up doing the chasing of the other insurance company, getting the other party/Enterprise/RAC/repairer to talk to each other. When I have made a claim in the past I have gone to the broker who sorts everything all out for you, seamlessly. In this case RAC is the broker, it is not a seamless process. I would not recommend RAC in this instance."
M L Alderson
Verified Reviewer
"Terrrible customer service i sorted my sons insurance got an email saying no need to see his 9 years no claims money went out my bank for the full year payment next thing i get is a letter saying they are cancelling insurance on 13/12/17 as havent received documents i had no email no mail asking for documents anyways documents emailed twice now and no email to say received and when checked on my online account there is money getting repaid into my account with quite a bit of it not getting paid back and hes been insured for less than a month it seems like they just dont want the business absolutely disgusting service and very stressful"
"Filled in details online. Obtained quote of £377.08. Tried to pay having put in purchase date - and suddenly 'the site was closed due to maintenance'. Rang up - 10 minutes listening to drivel before I got to an adviser. Lots more sales chat - finally confirmed the quote of £377.08 and eventually go to the payment part - and I was then told. 'The price is £553 - OK?' Hang on - what ... No explanation for the huge price hike, just told 'That's now the price...' No explanation for not honoring the quote which on screen I was told was valid for today. He just kept saying - 'That's the price - OK? No - that's really NOT OK! Disgraceful! Will not buy any RAC products from now on."
"RAC seem to be good haven’t had any real issues apart from with the black box. The app isn’t very accurate/ the box isn’t meaning my score was a lot lower than it should be as I don’t speed but it thinks that I am, and I tried to get it sorted but they never did anything about it"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 months ago