Legal & General Reviews

35% of reviewers recommend Legal & General

How would you rate Legal & General?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

231 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Legal & General in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"Sent in an estimate for the cost of a repair which has until today not even been picked up I have had to chase them for an update, they have had it two weeks, Then the employee asked me if the quote included VAT which i confirmed yes but as it wasn't detailed on the estimate I have to contact the repair company and get another estimate showing the cost net of VAT Then they said they will not pay the VAT until the work has been completed. So now I not only have to stand the excess (accepted) but also the VAT and then repeat the process to claim the VAT back my claim is for £300 net of the excess hardly an excessive claim ! I dread to think if you were claiming for a large amount what you would have to stump up in the first instance for VAT before getting it back BTW sit in a comfy chair when trying to contact them you are in for a long wait !! Rubbish"
"Worst insurance company I have ever had the misfortune to use. I could not even get through to discuss my policy. I am so lucky I didn't need to make a claim. Do NOT use"
Steven Casrswell
Verified Reviewer
"The way I was treated during my Insurance claim by yourselves is nothing short of a disgrace. So I am now cancelling my Insurance with your company. Totally incompetent, I always wait for a very long time to speak to someone on the phone, then no common sense from them. Do not use this company at all. No confidence in their ability, if they have any."
"very disappoinoited"
(Pet Insurance) - Posted 4 weeks ago
Mr David Martin
Verified Reviewer
"Fantastic service from my home insurance provider. One initial phone call to claims line then received a phone call within one hour to provide me with a voucher to cover the cost of my much loved , lost , personal item. Thankyou"
"L&G just don't get it. I have had a recurrent problem with desperately poor customer service and communication; I have been left hanging on to the automated system for hours, not just minutes; and promised call backs never materialise."
Craig Robinson
Verified Reviewer
"We have had the misfortune to have an ongoing claim with legal and general for water damage. They are completely incompetent. They could not even document the correct amount of rooms we had water damage in, they even mistook tiles for laminate flooring. We had ten visits from multiple contractors they use, several of the visits cancelled some without any notice at all. They then offer a sum in settlement which is a fifth of the cost of the work with no breakdown of the work behind it. This is still ongoing I would never recommend to use them they just go to extreme lengths to not pay out what they owe."
"Not even worthy of 1 Star. They drag things out to the absolute max. Very poor communications. Will ignore emails you send and will not answer their telephones. The amount of times I have been in that telephone queue for during the past month is shocking. I have waited for 15 minutes some days and still the same annoying voice telling me someone will be with me shortly. I will be sending them a copy of my next telephone bill and they can pay for not only my time but the telephone bill as well."
"Frustrating from start to finish! We had home insurance with Legal & General for a couple of years - didn't receive any summary of cover and only renewal notices, which also didn't include any detail at all. When calling to check the status of our policy was on hold for 30 minutes, then answered with a very confused customer support person who asked to put me back on hold for five minutes... will definitely not be using Legal & General again!"
Nicholas Grundy
Verified Reviewer
"I took out home insurance with Legal & General in January 2017. I received no communication from them until a renewal e-mail arrived in December. When I took the trouble to look through the renewal documents, I noticed they didn't cover my wife's engagement ring, which had been a separately-listed high value item for which I'd paid a premium. When I called to clarify, they told me they had stopped covering this in June, and had sent me a message to my online account to tell me this. I received no notification of this message, no letter, no e-mail, and no phone call. Unless you want to have to log in and check your secure online messages every few months to make sure Legal and General haven't changed your cover without telling you, do not use them for insurance. I also echo the comments about extremely long wait times to talk to them on the phone."
"Ignore the adverts nobody ever answers the phone........................................... If you have a break in they use a company called martindales to patch up they are not part of the GGF provide the cheapest rubbish ever. A company to replace jewelry that has a 43% mark up as that is what cash value the bad quality goods they sell have. Just do yourself a favour and avoid at all cost the burglar is a criminal but the insurance company is as bad."
"If you call, you will go straight to automated system and will never speak to them. Appalling service. Don't use them."
"Poor communications. Will change insurer at next opportunity."
"As with other reviews: they are hopeless at responding to phone calls or emails. Switch to other company"
"They don not return emails or answer the phone."
"They don't pick up the phone or respond to emails. Time Wasters"
"Don't bother phoning, they don't pick up. Don't bother emailing they don't respond. Hopeless company"
IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THROUGH VIA TELEPHONE
Unverified Reviewer
"Impossible to get through to their claims department. Constant automated messages asking you to press this button and that button and then a mans voice advising you that someone is on the way to help you .... nobody ever come to help you though, you just tot up a very large telephone bill!"
"Trying to contact them by telephone is proving impossible!! Automated calls, press this button, press that button and then listening to a voice every 10 seconds informing you that someone is on the way to help .... pffffff .... just been waiting for 20 minutes! 7 times I have tried today and 5 times yesterday. Absolute farce!"
"Let uninsured for two months, got the renewal figure wrong several times, no confirmation emails, when sent, its all wrong amounts stated, kept on the phone waiting for minimum of 25 minutes each time. absolute waste of time. For a large national company to be this abysmal in its operation, is shocking. they should not even be on the compare the market website."
Legal & General is rated 2.37 based on 231 reviews