Legal & General Reviews

28% of reviewers recommend Legal & General

Tell us how Legal & General made you happy

Over a week
"Applied for my pension 6 weeks ago and still waiting, Just seem to get lie after lie after lie, Phoned them last Wed and told will have it in 3-5 days and surprise, surprise 8days later and still no pension. Would think twice before using this appalling company."
"Terrible. They try their hardest not to pay out. They wouldn't pay for my dog, even though she had a completely unlinked illness. They somehow managed to link one illness 2 years ago to a brand new issue. I would avoid them at all costs."
"18 years ago my husband and I took out a life insurance £38 monthly payment & critical illness insurance £58 monthly payment as well as a building and content home insurance £13 monthly with legal and general, in all this time we never missed a single payment or made a claim thank god.!!!!! 11yrs ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and had to leave my job as care assistant and over the year I suffered many many dips in my health until finally in 2015 I was rushed into hospital on several occasions with my health I was so ill that I had to have life saving ileostomy. When I recovered I was told that I had been wrongly diagnosed and in fact I had Crohn’s disease. And that there was a possibility that it may return. I was never going to be able to return to my job so I made a claim on my critical illness policy to which I was refused as I was told it was to soon and all medical intervention had not been excused Unfortunately after 2 weeks I was once again rushed to hospital and this continued until I finally had to have a full rectal removal in 2017 I once again made a claim on my critical illness policy to which I was refused again even with my consultant reports backing my claim legal and general argued that I maybe able to return work even though I had not be able to work for over 11yrs and my health was never going to get any better. I appealed the decision twice and was still refused payment. I finally took it to the ombudsman where it was refused due to wording on my consultant report he did not state that I would never be able to work again he explained my illness and how it effected me but did not use the actual words I would never be able to return to my own job again. I was livid. On a visit to my GP in December I happened to mention it to him his words where (they would look for any loophole not to pay) the next day my GP rang me and told me that he had wrote a letter stating that I have been unable to work as a care assistant since 2015 and due to the heavy lifting etc involved in this type of job I would Never be able to return to it. I again made a claim and again was refused I again appealed and again was denied!!!!!so again I ask the ombudsman to get involved. I have received the decision in my favour this time BUT legal and general will only payout from the date of my GPS letter December 2018 instead of 2015 when I became unable to ever work at my job as a care assistant. I have been fighting this claim for 4 yrs THATS My worth to legal and general. along with dealing with losing my bowel having an ileostomy followed by rectal removal depression skin abscess vision impairment arthritis and many other illness that go along with crohns disease I had to ask my consultant on every visit to provide legal and general with the paper work they should to gathered. On several occasions mark Faulkner rang me tell me that I should get this report and post it to him. I was the ill person recovering from surgery IF YOU NEED TO MAKE A CLAIM OR NEED TO BE TREATED WITH KINDNESS AND COMPASSION legal and general are not the company to deal with I was pushed from pillar to post. Every step of my claim was made impossible for me every goal post was moved once I reached it. disappointed discussed and excusing are a few words I would uses to describe my dealings with legal and general"
"Right where do I start oh I know. Once upon a time many years ago I took out a buildings and contents policy with L&G and all was well payments taken each month on time with no problems. One wintery night in October, the 15th to be precise at around midnight my daughter in law said that she could smell smoke and to our horror she was right we discovered a small fire in my dining room ( the fishtank lid had set on fire due to a led lamp shorting out), the result was a hell of a lot of thick black smoke. A couple of days later the loss adjuster came and said that the dining room and everything in it was condemned and that the rest of the house was infected with soot. He said that the dining room will need to be gutted and everything in it will be disposed of, the rest of the house will be deep cleaned with a time span of around 3 weeks and asked me if I want to organise the work or let them sort it out,as I've never been in this predicament before and didn't have a clue what to do I opted for loss adjuster to sort everything out. I received a call soon after telling me that the big bad wolf (let's call him polygon) so as he said polygon rang us up and said that the earliest they could get out would be the 6th of November which happened to be the day we went to florida for a well deserved holiday that we had saved up for for 2 years, we told the loss adjuster and also said that my son who lives with us and his girlfriend would be available to help. The loss adjuster said" that's fine you go on holiday and when you get back it will be to a clean and repaired house and any decor that needs touching up will be done meanwhile we was put up in a hotel for 3 weeks and then extended on a weekly basis for my son and girlfriend till we move back in (this also included my 5 dogs as no kennals were available) While Iwe was on holiday adout two days in I received a phone call from my son telling me that polygon had started to check some of the electrical equipment and it had failed and needed to be disposed of is that OK I said that they are the experts so let them get on with it. Most days of the holiday I received phone calls and on the last one I was informed that the big bad wolf had huffed and puffed and blew everything we owned (40 years worth) into a rubbish skip and took it away (5 tvs, furniture, sky boxes, laptops record player, xbox, games, dvds aprox 500, every carpet in the house everything was deemed beyond economic repair even my brand new polar express train set (for the grandkids 😂) still in its sealed box never been opened) yes everything, my son was kicked out of the first hotel as it had not been extended (this happened 4 times) we was told to go out and sort out some essential furniture so that we can move back to the the house for Christmas so we went out and got some cracking deals and just needed deposits, did we get the deposits no so we lost all the deals apart from one that I'm paying off on instalments with interest but we were made to look real idiots. I received a phone call from the high claims manager (let's call him thewicked sheriff of Birmingham) who had the audacity to say that I was dragging my feet for not getting the essential furniture that they failed to pay for. Eventually we got the furniture but still with payment issues on a serious note the list of things (lies, payments, arguments etc) have been going on for the last 7 months and still not resolved, we have reported them to the financial ombudsman the total settlement amount is a joke (and my wife has told them that they should be on the stage as comedians) there does not seem to be any real help out there to get us through all this you have to fight it all on your own,this ordeal has put me in ill health and nearly cost me my job and my wife has lost over 3 stone. Tpshis is still ongoing and I'm sure that they do all this hoping that you will give in All I can say is avoid this company at all cost if I could I would have given them a - 5 star 🌟 ps... To tell everything that has happened would take me several days and I'm not joking!!!"
"This company should be avoided at all costs,do not answer phones,have tried three different emails all a waste of time either no response or this is only an automated answer no action can be taken,I can only guess that paying them money will be easy but trying to get a small pension back seems impossible.PLEASE PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY"
"Needed to change a pension as the pension they offered gave very poor value"
"Thank god I never made a claim! Cancelled my pet insurance had a £30 admin fee which I paid and still they are pestering me for renewal payments! Passed from pillar to post just to cancel my insurance god knows what I’d have needed to do if I’d made a claim. Never had this much trouble with any insurance companies before."
"My buildings insurance is with Legal and General. Never use them. I had a water ingress due to a leaky hot water cylinder in September 2017. They used Cunningham Lindsay/ now Sedgwick International to organise repairs. I replaced the cylinder and got a new boiler myself, but the resultant damp in sitting room, kitchen and bedroom above was supposed to be covered by the insurance. Sedgwick sub contracted to Expert Property Services. 19 months later, the house is uninhabitable as the kitchen units have been abandoned on the kitchen floor. The sitting room and bedroom repairs and redecoration are half finished. The rest of the house is now filthy as the decor has been damaged and there is builder's dust and gravel throughout. This is relentless. The buildings insurance provided by Legal and General is not fit for purpose."
"Do not insure anything with these crooks they don't mind taking your money but if you ever have to make a claim its very unlikely they will pay out"
"Their company Claims Consortium Group is horrible! The surveyor was deceitful and manipulative! Now I will be not paid for damages because of this lying guy!"
"Six months into a claim for an escape of water, still no further forward, incompetent contractors have caused more leaks, customer service doesn't exist. The company entrusted to carry out the repairs is Claims Consortium group who are at best useless. DO NOT USE LEGAL AND GENERAL"
"Two days running I have been unable to get through on the phone to L&G - simply a terrible customer service department. Still currently waiting on the phone. 24 minutes and counting."
"claims for pet insurance are by no means easy to sort out with this company, usually takes many phone calls to chase up and a minimum of six weeks but has taken 3 months. premium increased over 150% in 5 years. i have tried to cancel as the premiums are now too expensive and will be charged £30 admin fee!"
"The L & G website has to be the worst website of any provider of financial services that I have used (I have used many). Continually crashing & logging you out through inactivity when you are desperately attempting to carry out an an activity. I dread to think what their call centres are like I havent got the patience to try that. Will probably have to move my pension elsewhere. Kevin"
"Poor company 16 minutes waiting on phone to speak to someone.. Ridiculous redemption rules. Sent more paperwork to for me to reclaim my mum's small investment after her death than I got from all the other companies put together. IS A has lost over a quarter of its value in a year. Don't bother!"
"Shocking company. Would give them a zero if I could. My sister and I have been hounded to repay money that they say was overpaid to our mum on her death. Unbelievably insensitive. DO NOT TOUCH WITH A BARGEPOLE"
"They say that I cannot claim under my legal expenses insurance even though my specific claim is highlighted as a key selling point of my policy. I have been informed that the small print says I am not covered."
"I have my fridge freezer cover by your company. And have just had dealings with one off your staff members her name is Julie Edwards and I had to take the time to let you know how good she was she went out of her way to help me and sort out my problem she is an access to your company and I only wish I could put her forward for a reward her customer service is next to none A BIG THANKYOU to her from me would recommend you company to anyone"
"Spent all afternoon trying to phone you cost me a fortune not to mention my valuable time.finally I had retirement pack sent.it was all opened and now worried my data can be used by fraudsters."
"They say they give a refund, but then it didnt arrive, and when I asked they say it takes a MONTH to refund your money. When I said this is unreasonable and they should get poor reviews, they sent a legal letter to intimidate. I don't think its good to do business with people that act like that"
Legal & General is rated 2.10 based on 315 reviews