Legal & General Reviews

31% of reviewers recommend Legal & General

How would you rate Legal & General ?

"Diabolical response and attitude towards my recent pet insurance claim. Very poor and misleading policy wording that did not cover what it claimed. Unacceptable response to my complaint with no further explanation or details. THEN, when I asked for my policy to be cancelled, I was told that they would charge me a fee!!! Absolutely disgusting service and would NEVER recommend anyone trusting them with the cover for their pet."
"Most unhelpful company I have ever had to deal with put up thousand of pounds worth of scaffolding can't provide a ladder from the ground to the first floor. To get materials up totally and utterly fed up with the on going issues don't ever use legal and general home insurance"
"Would give a 0star if I could And one word to describe this company Fraudster Happy to take money and not willing to pay up when there is a claim then send out there loss adjuster how act like hire goons. The government needs to close these down ASAP Oh and once this review goes up there silly like online team will request I contact them and when u do they will not reply completely pathetic"
"Their appointed surveyors rushed their visit, lied in their report guessing cause of damage without proper examination. Absolute disgrace. Won't use this company again."
"Avoid this company at all costs had a major house fire would not pay a penny out house was totally gutted by fire."
"Nobody would answer a phone call for a simple renewal question. Every single contact number stated - One of our advisors will be with you shortly - but nobody ever answered the phone. Thanks for holding on, we are on our way to help The worst customer service I have ever experienced - good job I wasn't making a claim. I have to ask the question 'are they still operating as a business?" - all I want to do is speak to someone"
"We had raw sewage in our basement and they will only pay for half of it"
"Took 14 months to refuse my husband health claim"
"Came home from work. Puddle of water on my dining table along with white ceiling plaster. Crack halfway across the ceiling. Following heavy rains and winds after the heavy snow we had. On investigation it looked as if the flashing on the roof of the extension had slipped down slightly. We moved it back up and resealed the joins. We think the weight of the snow had dislodged the flashing , as back a couple of months before it was ok because we clean and check thevroof for moss. We phoned L&g to claim for the damage , to be told we can't. Something to do with wind speeds and rain fall. WHY do I pay a fortune for a top cover, NOT to be covered. Not claiming for the roof, just the damage inside. That's what I thought insurance was. I also live in a town with its own micro climate, so the readings for 5 miles away will not always apply. First and last year with this company. Never heard of anything so ridiculous."
"The call waiting times are horrendous I've tried to contact them at various times of the day to discuss my home insurance policy. In the end I finally got through after an other wait of 25 minutes on hold and duly cancelled my renewal. The staff member asked why I wished not to renew with them when I explained that I've tried numerous times to get through she didn't even try to offer me any incentives to stay. I hate to think if if you ever had to claim emergency assistance this put me off using them in future"
"I have tried a couple of times since I have become of retirement age to get some figures for an annuity or other options. Another retirement company can give me these figures by return of email. L&G have to send out a pack even though you know exactly what you want quoted on , then you have to tick that box and send it back and then if you are lucky you might get some figures. So far since the first phone call it has been 4 days and we haven't even got the pack yet. Not keeping up with the times. Plus I have 2 pensions which I have to speak to 2 different departments and I don't get anywhere with any of them. So frustrating."
"been trying for 2 weeks to cancel my policy,sent two secure mails only managed to get through via phone twice and person still did not do what was requested,have not refunded direct debit or replied to messages,worst company I have ever dealt with"
"on two occasions I have taken out a policy using this company. The first time the contact email on the confirmation letter / email was wrong, it took time to establish that it was not just down. When I went to tell them this their webpage only give options related to specific queries for contact. Eventually I got through to them via Twitter but even that took over 6 days and then another 4 days of investigating. By then I was tempted to drop the policy, now in the light of the new problem I am regretting continuing. They are all about themselves and don’t think about their audience or clients, eg defensive unhelpful mentality which can clearly be seen in their website where their methods of contact are clearly controlled and are to suit the company and not themselves. The second incident is a non-refund of a premium taken despite a cancellation email being sent to them within hours of the contract, no confirmation of cancellation has been sent either by mail or email. Endless phone calls (different department so could find number) to find out if they got email, eventually I got a verbal confirmation that they did and that policy has been cancelled and that funds would be in bank in two days. I expect (after 6 days of checking inc w/e) I’ll have to spend hours reaching out to them on the phone today only to be told the same. FRUSTRATING Policy cancelled 24th July Premium taken 25th July Notified premium not returned multiple times Still awaiting return of return on 8 August Update - they asked me to contact them following this review, see response below. Which I did and 4 days later I have had no acknowledgement of my email and I am waiting their response Update - 15 August - no premium return yet. The complaints number that they gave me is no longer working."
"A total disgrace of a company, never replied to emails,phone calls , customer service is the worst I have experienced!"
"Next doors pipes burst and came into my house they admitted gilt and was insured with legal and general but I have to pay £500 aces, we have one room running through to lounge they ripped wall paper of one side and fire Brest witch was flock paper they will not put flock back on and they will only decarate one side / they renewed the dado rail with different style now it does not match I'm left with a nother bill , non of this is how falt and it's going to cost me around £1200 , bear in mind it was next doors pipe work that burst and came in Howe house , Ho skirting put on but in 5 picess not one or 2 looks verry bad ,so be awear when insuring what are you covers for .this just seams to be robbery on their behalf. Wood definitely not recommend had a lot of trouble with them and it's been 6 months now will think twice againe before insuraning againe , big firms like this just getaway with it 👎😡"
"I am writing so you can hopefully bring this issue to light as I know I am not the only service veteran this company has done this to . I left the royal air force after serving 15 years for which I was then entitled to my service pension at the age of 60 . When I left the service in 1990 I had various products with Legal and General and a member of there staff convinced my wife and I it would be beneficial to change my Service Pension to one of there opt out schemes he guaranteed my pension would be greater than my forces pension. I approached them to ask how to claim my pension as I am 60 next March only to be told I cannot have my pension till age 65 . My Royal Air Force pension would have been payable at 60 were I would have got approx £7000 per annum and a tax free sum 3 times my annual pension amount . My service pension is calculated by length of service / rank /trade . So not only do Legal and General say I wont get a pension till age 65 but will only get around £5500 per year and no lump sum , so my wife and I have been lied to and misled to cheat me out of my earned service pension . I have complained through there complaints process and told there is nothing they can do so I then called the Chief Exec but he refused to talk to me . I then asked for his contact details to be told NO . I then wrote to him at there head office only to get a responce from some one else . I then get a letter stating they have done nothing wrong and my pension stands as they told me ."
"Have so many regrets using this company to insure our pet. They argued over a period of six months before paying out for our three valid claims. During this time we had to act as 'go between' with L&G and our vets as they claimed to be unable to contact them. Many excuses were used to try and avoid legitimate payment and we had to take matters further with the support of our vet until payment was made. No department communicate with each other and it had proved a very unpleasant and stressful time for my partner and I after the already heartbreaking situation of losing our much loved young Boxer dog. Unfortunately had to award one star as it doesn't accept zero. Avoid this company"
"Your company is not good for people that smoke you so have a false information on Google. As it does not say that you wouldn't insure smoker's"
"Been informed if you travel to Turkey legal and general will not cover you despite paying policy for 5 years so check with them what other countries have they on their list"
"If I could give 0, I would , shocking long wait anytime I called ,staff communication with each other very poor ,worse with customer .I decided in the end not to proceed with making a small but very genuine claim as they make it nearly impossible to proceed .I have several different policies over last 15 years without ever making a claim with L and G ,will never re new again , disgusted !Daniel Chambers"
Legal & General is rated 2.24 based on 270 reviews