Legal & General Reviews

34% of reviewers recommend Legal & General

How would you rate Legal & General?

244 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
took two payments for the same policy-still havnt refunded after five days

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Legal & General in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"took two payments for the same policy-still havnt refunded after five days"
"Warning !!!!! Avoid buying anything from legal and general at all costs. I have a critical illness policy with them which they won't pay out on. I have been critically injured. they are a dishonest company and wriggle out of making any payments, they're quite happy to take your money but when you need them they're not there. Don't bother buy insurance somewhere else, disgraceful company without ethics."
"Don't touch legal and general. we have a life policy with them that was unfortunately swapped over from Scottish Widows to legal and general by Santander. L&G lie they get things wrong they don't respond to your letters or calls, when you do try and make a claim with them they refuse the claim and wriggle out on any grounds they can this company is a joke they haven't even sent our policy through and we have requested it numerous times. Rubish"
Teresa Morrison
Verified Reviewer
"Put in a claim for damaged rhino flooring they use renew assessors and the cost if replacing with the same plus delivery fitting and lifting and taking away old vinyl is £440 told I'm only to get £250 less £100 excess. Your penalised for wanting a cash settlement to buy your replacement at your store of choice instead of from renew they say they can do the whole lot for that and we are pensioners and have to find £200 to make up the shortfall. I think this company is a disgrace"
Mr Stephen Martin
"Excellent value for money House & Contents Insurance exceptionally competitive quote with market beating features."
"We had a terrible week with our van being broken into and all our tools a a few personal things stolen L&G were excellent found out what we could claim for and ere incredibly helpful kind profession staff"
David Charles
Unverified Reviewer
"I bought an endowment policy with them and dutifully paid my premiums for 25 years at the end of which they told me that their invements hadn’t performed as well as they had hoped and so they could only pay out 60% of what they had originally promised. I find it extraordinary that they can get away with such behaviour. We entered into a contract: I pay a fixed amoun set by them and at the end they pay out a fixed amount to me. Not: I pay a fixed amount set by you and at the end you pay me whatever you like! Quite extraordinary. I will never do business with dishonest, unprofessional L&G again."
"For my sins i ended up with legal and general.Having a car come through your garden and hit your front door and arguing with their surveyors BVS was a nightmare.It took them three months to tell me i wasn't insured for ornamental plant pots although BVS told me i was on the internal fittings which i thought was iffy.Their claims line is abismal you are on at least twenty minutes with no answer by which time you have hung up.Never again"
"Can never get through to them by phone for anything, always wait over an hour and still they dont answer, will be cancelling my policy its ridiculous"
"Bisto had a sudden attack of violent unexplained vomiting, she had to go on a drip and have bloods taken. L&g sorted the claim out straight away and paid the vets direct with no worry to me at all"
(Pet Insurance) - Posted 4 weeks ago
"Claims/complaints are truly dreadful"
"Had a major water leak and they offered a measly £400 towards a £1500 bill to fix it. No point having home insurance with them, they find a Clause in your policy to not pay. Taking my case further now as I know another family who have taken them to court with a similar care and won. These big, well known companies are robbing innocent people"
"I bought a life insurance from them and I qualified for a gift card at Marks and Spencer or Amazon. I never received it. I contacted them countless times and every time they said they sent me the instructions to get in their possession by post. Lies. I wonder what credibility they still have in paying my life insurance if there is anything going on. Stay away from them. This company is a joke."
"Sent in an estimate for the cost of a repair which has until today not even been picked up I have had to chase them for an update, they have had it two weeks, Then the employee asked me if the quote included VAT which i confirmed yes but as it wasn't detailed on the estimate I have to contact the repair company and get another estimate showing the cost net of VAT Then they said they will not pay the VAT until the work has been completed. So now I not only have to stand the excess (accepted) but also the VAT and then repeat the process to claim the VAT back my claim is for £300 net of the excess hardly an excessive claim ! I dread to think if you were claiming for a large amount what you would have to stump up in the first instance for VAT before getting it back BTW sit in a comfy chair when trying to contact them you are in for a long wait !! Rubbish"
"Worst insurance company I have ever had the misfortune to use. I could not even get through to discuss my policy. I am so lucky I didn't need to make a claim. Do NOT use"
Steven Casrswell
Verified Reviewer
"The way I was treated during my Insurance claim by yourselves is nothing short of a disgrace. So I am now cancelling my Insurance with your company. Totally incompetent, I always wait for a very long time to speak to someone on the phone, then no common sense from them. Do not use this company at all. No confidence in their ability, if they have any."
"very disappoinoited"
(Pet Insurance) - Posted 3 months ago
Mr David Martin
Verified Reviewer
"Fantastic service from my home insurance provider. One initial phone call to claims line then received a phone call within one hour to provide me with a voucher to cover the cost of my much loved , lost , personal item. Thankyou"
"L&G just don't get it. I have had a recurrent problem with desperately poor customer service and communication; I have been left hanging on to the automated system for hours, not just minutes; and promised call backs never materialise."
Craig Robinson
Verified Reviewer
"We have had the misfortune to have an ongoing claim with legal and general for water damage. They are completely incompetent. They could not even document the correct amount of rooms we had water damage in, they even mistook tiles for laminate flooring. We had ten visits from multiple contractors they use, several of the visits cancelled some without any notice at all. They then offer a sum in settlement which is a fifth of the cost of the work with no breakdown of the work behind it. This is still ongoing I would never recommend to use them they just go to extreme lengths to not pay out what they owe."
Legal & General is rated 2.35 based on 244 reviews