Lancaster Insurance Reviews

03AM
3AM

Tell us how Lancaster Insurance made you happy

Over a week
"Truly appalling company to deal with and, having now read some of the reviews below, its pretty obvious that they are scammers. Having paid my premium - which admittedly was much lower than other companies (danger sign..!) - I NEVER EVER received any papers from them just demands for extra money when, having sent them photos of where the car was parked (off-street in a very secure residential area of Brighton Marina which has its own 24 hour security and loads of cameras), they claimed it wasn't secure and demanded more money. I had to send the extra money otherwise they were threatening to cancel the policy. Having sold my car - I was only insured through them for about 2 months - I have been trying to contact them for weeks. I have never ONCE got through to their "customer service" line - they just keep you on hold forever and every minute or so a recorded voice cuts in to say "you will be answered soon". Having only a pay-as-you-go sim I must have spent £20 or more on many futile attempts to speak to someone. Needless to say they don't have an 0800 number. If you try to contact them via email you get an automated reply (sometimes, but not always) saying that they are very busy and a reply might take several days or longer. The email says "if urgent it is better to phone us"..!!! But if you phone they never reply - at least not in a reasonably short time. What a CATCH-22 situation..!"
Are you Lancaster Insurance? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Very poor customer service, cancellation fees are double the yearly insurance. When added extra person my insurance went twice as much when wanted to remove they added another adjustment fee, but the insurance will not go down anyway. They renewd without informing me in any form. Very bad company to reach I have spend many days on hold trying to reach them just to hear to be called back which never happened."
"awful company. sold my car took 4 days to get through to them to be spoken to by a rude lady. now there wanting £97.00 for canceling it. not a chance. im takeing this further. stay away from this rip off company."
"Dreadful, stay well clear. Poor customer services and terrible claims handling"
"Dreadful customer service and very unprofessional claims handlers who basically interrogated me for a stolen vehicle. They were reported to trading standards. I would strongly recommend you insure elsewhere and save yourself the stress and frustration. Been on hold now for 30minutes trying to contact them!!"
"Picked Lancaster from moneysupermarket because price was lowest by a mile.They took my payment.Then I found an email asking for photo of where my car would be kept overnight(in junk box).I then had an email asking for photo of my driving license.I phoned them up(took about 30mins to answer) and had a conversation with their rep and I decided to cancel within the required period.I have waited e week for my refund and discovered they have stolen nearly £40 off me.Keep away from this firm at all cost."
"This company and its agents are rip off and charge extra (e.g., admin fee) without your fault and extremely bad service and threaten you to cancel your policy if you do not pay their unfair charges-not recommended at all."
"Completely Unprofessional. I'm going to leave my name out of this review so that the person that took my call can remain anonymous. Called to request a car insurance quote, got through pretty quickly but went downhill from there. Firstly, the advisor pretty much refused to pronounce my name correctly and kept pronouncing it completely wrong even after I said it multiple times and spelled it out for them, not the end of the world but it felt deliberate. The person didn't seem to know their own system, maybe a trainee? It took 25 minutes to find out that I couldn't recieve a quote. I was asked unnecessary questions such as when asked whether I use my vehicle to commute to work and I replied "No", I was asked "So, do you walk or catch the bus?". Also, the advisor refused to quote for the future even though I was looking for my insurance to start in around a month, for example, I asked if we could quote with a car club discount as by the time I went ahead with their insurance I would be a member but they refused incase 'we both get in trouble', strange considering every other insurance I have received a quote from have been more than happy to quote as a car club member. They also refused to quote with my no claims discount that I would have gained before the date that the insurance starts because 'I dont have it yet', again, other insurers accept future NCD without problems. Honestly, I only looked into Lancaster due to a fairly popular Youtuber endorsing them. Lancaster Insurance need to give their advisors some much needed customer service training because if I was able to get a competitive quote from them I still would have gone elsewhere."
"Awful customer service."
"I purchased a Mazda MX5 on the 8th of March. On the 9th, a vehicle inspection from a local mechanic determined it was scrap and needed to be returned for a full refund. I was insured for all of 33hrs, for which Lancaster Insurance charged £51 in fees and usage charges. FOS regulations state they can charge an admin fee (£20) and pro-rata the insurance used... or £1.01 to be exact. I complained that a fee of effectively 25% of my policy was excessive and they agreed to increase my refund by £17. However, FOS regulations also state you're allowed to cancel within 14 days, starting from the start of your policy or receipt of your insurance documents, which ever is later. I had yet to receive my documents, so technically I was due a full refund. They disagreed. Today, I called to find out why my refund hadn't arrived. They said the insurer had gone back on their word and I was being charged £78 instead of £32. I threatened them with an FOS complaint and amazingly, my refund was processed immediately. The customer service rep was rude, bordering obnoxious and clearly wasn't interested in helping. "I've done everything I can" was her parting shot, before I asked to speak to her Manager. The Manager however, was helpful and polite. In summary... yes, they're cheap... but I can imagine it'd be an absolute nightmare getting them to pay out on a policy if they drag their feet over a simple refund. Once bitten..."
"A group of scamsters masquerading as an insurance company. They come across as very professional & helpful when enquiring to buy insurance but if you ever need to alter/cancel/claim your policy you will face a wall of ignorance. Avoid at all costs and go with the main companies who are more regulated."
"I had a accident on the 9/10/18 , which was not my fault , had a very bad back and neck since , have been chasing the solicitors instructed on my case every week , but I am not getting anywhere , I feel less me they don’t seem to be doing anything , I also contacted Lancaster today and the lady on the phone , was very rude and didn’t care so one very unhappy customer"
"After being a loyal, long-standing customer with Lancaster insurance. I called to cancel my policy. My son, now 21, can insure the classic mini himself. I’m not due any refund after only 3 months in cover. Due to the loyalty discounts they have given me!!! £120 for 3 months cover. Where’s the loyalty there??? Disgusted. My advice, get your insurance elsewhere 😡😡😡"
"I have just cancelled my policy with Lancaster Insurance, with 8 months left, my my car has died and i cant afford another at the moment....shockingly the only way i could cancel was to pay £195! LANCASTER INSURANCE ARE THIEVES, please believe myself and all these other reviews, i cant believe they are still getting away with this, it seems like it has happened to many people. How can they use the excuse of "well its written in our policy documents" to justify this? They said they would reduce this by £25 if i cancelled my complaint with them (trying to pay for my silence)....when i said i wouldn't they said i would have to pay the full amount then. I was expecting good service from such a large well known company, but i did not get this at all! Another few things, the renewal of the policy was extortionate- i didn't get chance to cancel as they letter only came a few days before renewal date, even though they had dated it 3 weeks before! the people who i spoke to were rude and very impersonal. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I will be taking this to the ombudsman, surely there is something collectively we can do to stop this....they are taking advantage of there position, this is extortion."
"Insured my land rover for 295 in Dec 18 and cancelled the policy January 18 probably drove a total of 100 miles. According to Lancaster my total cancellation fee was 295 all in oddly enough the same as my total policy. These guys are legitimate thieves do not under any circumstances insure with them. Pass any relevant information you have onto the ombudsmen or relevant institute, assuming you get any they have a tendency to hold onto documents."
"Just from curiosity after having been seduced by Lancaster's low lead in insurance quote three years ago I googled to see if they were still trading. It seems so, and people continue to suffer at the hands of this cavalier company from all the complaints I am reading. I threatened them with a very big legal stick once alerted by DVLA my insurance cover was not adequate. I was like a dog with a bone and pestered all the head office numbers I could find before a supervisor saw sense and refunded my payment in full. It is time this cowboy outfit were closed down. Write to your MP. As for putting any money the way of this boiler room operation NEVER CONSIDER DEALING WITH THIS COMPANY."
"What a con they automatically renew your policy. Use a fraud signture and hand wrting keep the date from the last year . Take my money ignore my emails They have no rights in renewing your insurance it is not there choice ."
"Avoid I regret insuring with them. Very poor customer service. I requested my insurance to be cancelled mid last year and I could not due to to charges. I asked for it not to be renewed in sept 2018 because I did not call within their thirty day window I again got a fine for cancelling. They automatically renewed the policy. No amount of conversations with them on the phone persuades them other wise because I did not follow their policy. Within ten days of cancelling despite me setting up a payment plan they sent a letter stating that they were passing my details to a credit reference agency even though they had on file I was paying monthly. The letter was not accurate it said that they had made previous attempts to contact me. I asked twice to speak to a manager they are never available. During the insurance it was no good as well my car is a classic it had a fire and they would not pay out. I was insured with them many years longer than I actually wanted due to the black mail situation of cancelling. My father has four classic cars one insured with Lancaster I have it logged now to call within the 30 day window to cancel he will not be continuing with them and his three other classic cars these will be insured else where. Lancaster are to big and no personal service. Conversations I had with them were contradictory as well they did say they would remove the fine if I proved I sold my car I proved this the garage who brought the vehicle contacted them and this was still not accepted. I advise anyone to avoid this company in future I will be insuring with a smaller company who respect their customers."
"Company did not tell me that my policy had been cancelled!!! I was unaware that there was a problem with the NCD notice, and they cancelled my policy. They send lots of emails, that simply say "here are documents that apply to your policy", at the bottom, tucked away in the attachments (that don't always open properly on a smartphone) here you will find a document that says they have cancelled your insurance!!! I don't know why the don't actually tell you in the subject line of the email "Your policy has been cancelled"?? Its certainly not due to any legal reason, as the DVLA will send you emails saying your car is not taxed... And they want to apply a £100 cost to stop the £250 policy 2 months in. So it will have cost me £200 for 2 months insurance! Then, when I want them to sort it out and re-insure me, they have the cheek to ask for an "arrangement fee" for the new policy. This is very sharp practice from a very poor company. I would avoid them - they go out of their way to deliberately entrap you... I'll be going to the ombudsman and lodging a formal complaint."
Lancaster Insurance is rated 2.15 based on 144 reviews