Lancaster Insurance Reviews

05AM
5AM

Tell us how Lancaster Insurance made you happy

Over a week
"I found this company on Go compare. I wanted to insure my 1999 Audi tt..it is insurable as a classic as it is 18 years old and used about 30 miles per week max. I gave a mileage declaration to verify this. On filling in my application there was a question,.,do you drive another vehicle besides this one? to which I answered Yes... I have 3 vans..one is a berlingo that I use always as my daily transport. Then the following question was do you own another car ? but gives no option for van, just car....So assuming this was to verify the fact that the vehicle I was insuring was a second occasional use vehicle I answered yes. I sent in my proof of no claims . During the next few days I was emailed and called by Lancaster requesting this no claims proof and milage declaration etc. I tried to call them 4 times but after long, long delays gave up. ( if you've tried to contact them you'll know what I mean) . Eventually I got through thinking all was well. I was asked questions like Do you owne another car. I said no..but I used a van every day instead. Did I have access to another car?..Yes I did, but it was my ex wifes car used in cases where our son needed to go with pals somewhere. . I was told neither of these situations counted and so the insurance would be cancelled. I was origionaly quoted just under 290 for the year. I had paid 40 deposit but had used only 3 weeks cover by then. . (I had 2 years previously insured with them under those very same conditions!.) Remarkably I was asked for 130 cancellation fee. ! Now i have received a letter from a collection agent. for 188.10 which I refuse to pay. ......Its in the bin by the way Lancaster... I will happily go to court over this . if its cost me 1000 ,there is a principle here. This company do not need to actually sell insurance if they are claiming huge fees of this kind on a regular basis. It would be very interesting to know just what percentage of their turnover comes from these heavy handed tactics. Finally,.. On a following quotes search to insure after this fiasco, Not knowing the company I contacted the cheapest provider using the telephone....( all calls recorded as per usual).. I explained that I was using a VAN as my first vehicle, not a car. I stated this several times.... I was offered a quote for £280. Yes £280 ..and guess who the company turned out to be?.. LANCASTER ... .Be warned, make one small mistake or even use your initiative on your application and you will give this outfit opportunity to sting you big time."
Are you Lancaster Insurance? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Attempting to cancel a policy I've had with Lancaster, quoted £140 to cancel a policy I'm only paying £27 a month on.. (5months worth of insurance to cancel!) worked out it's almost more beneficial to keep the policy running to gain a years no claims and discount on a new policy than to cancel. I appreciate there will be a cancellation fee but they really take the biscuit with the money they charge and abuse their position as a insurance company. Lesson learnt the hard way, will not use again!"
"£150 pound cancellation fee on a policy that cost £200 what a absolute joke would not recommend to anyone wouldn't let the policy run because I sold the car and all I got off the lady on the phone is " we have this problem alot customers complaints about the charge " well to me that means there is a problem with how they are selling insurance do not use this company (my opinion)"
"Ripped me off when cancelling a car insurance policy - multiple categories of charges for cancellation - ended up surprise surprise I was entitled to no refund even though I had months of validity left on the policy - going to take the matter up with the financial ombudsman - my recommendation is don't touch this company with a barge pole buy your insurance from a firm that has morals and common decency"
"After six months of having car insurance sold car and when i cancelled policy was told i would have to pay a £50 cancellation fee and i would receive the bill in next 7 days , 10 days after i cancelled i received a letter saying that despite previous attempts they had made to collect i had not paid the money and if i did not pay immediately they would submit the account to a debt collection agency at an extra cost of £37 . I will never insure with them again."
"I had a accident on the 9/10/18 , which was not my fault , had a very bad back and neck since , have been chasing the solicitors instructed on my case every week , but I am not getting anywhere , I feel less me they don’t seem to be doing anything , I also contacted Lancaster today and the lady on the phone , was very rude and didn’t care so one very unhappy customer"
"After being a loyal, long-standing customer with Lancaster insurance. I called to cancel my policy. My son, now 21, can insure the classic mini himself. I’m not due any refund after only 3 months in cover. Due to the loyalty discounts they have given me!!! £120 for 3 months cover. Where’s the loyalty there??? Disgusted. My advice, get your insurance elsewhere 😡😡😡"
"I have just cancelled my policy with Lancaster Insurance, with 8 months left, my my car has died and i cant afford another at the moment....shockingly the only way i could cancel was to pay £195! LANCASTER INSURANCE ARE THIEVES, please believe myself and all these other reviews, i cant believe they are still getting away with this, it seems like it has happened to many people. How can they use the excuse of "well its written in our policy documents" to justify this? They said they would reduce this by £25 if i cancelled my complaint with them (trying to pay for my silence)....when i said i wouldn't they said i would have to pay the full amount then. I was expecting good service from such a large well known company, but i did not get this at all! Another few things, the renewal of the policy was extortionate- i didn't get chance to cancel as they letter only came a few days before renewal date, even though they had dated it 3 weeks before! the people who i spoke to were rude and very impersonal. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I will be taking this to the ombudsman, surely there is something collectively we can do to stop this....they are taking advantage of there position, this is extortion."
"Just from curiosity after having been seduced by Lancaster's low lead in insurance quote three years ago I googled to see if they were still trading. It seems so, and people continue to suffer at the hands of this cavalier company from all the complaints I am reading. I threatened them with a very big legal stick once alerted by DVLA my insurance cover was not adequate. I was like a dog with a bone and pestered all the head office numbers I could find before a supervisor saw sense and refunded my payment in full. It is time this cowboy outfit were closed down. Write to your MP. As for putting any money the way of this boiler room operation NEVER CONSIDER DEALING WITH THIS COMPANY."
"Sold our car, and the charges for cancelling the policy are ludicrous, BEWARE"
"Used a price comparison site and answered all questions honestly, Lancaster came back cheapest price and took out cover online Wednesday evening, paid 2 months instalments as deposit. Received phone call from Lancaster Monday afternoon to say they couldn't insure my car as my other vehicle is a company car even though I selected this in the quote process. Advisor very condescending and patronising, almost to the point of arrogant suggesting that I lied on the quote request!! 5 days into the policy and within 14 day cooling off period I was charged £47. Very disappointing service, discourteous & disingenuous and left a bad taste. Case passed to financial ombudsman. TERRIBLE AND AVOID!!!"
"""Pained to have to give them 1 star... I took out insurance with them after using a comparison website, answered all questions honestly and went on to purchase cover... Upon receiving the insurance documents, I noticed that they had classed my 2012 Toyota Yaris as a "Classic car" - I phoned them to query this decision and they tell me that I had mislead them as the [private] registration implied a much older vehicle and my policy was to be cancelled [by them!] that very day! I was left with a car, parked on a main road, uninsured and now have to declare to future insurers that I've had a policy cancelled which has increased my premium by more than £600!!! - Lancaster also kindly charged me a £70 fee for my trouble also... Please be careful if you want to insure with them, they may be cheap at first but I imagine their policies are worthless if you ever have to claim"
"I accepted reasonable quote only to find that it was very difficult to prove my NCD to Lancaster Insurance. They wanted to charge me another £105.65 on top of the Insurance Premium already paid for £133.50 as they would not accept my No Claims past history. Although I have a Multi Car Policy with Admiral it is still on cover but shows a 9 year No Claim. I then sent Policy with Direct Line showing 8 Years and also a copy of Policy with Aviva showing 7 years No Claim but still they refused to accept that I have 9 years Plus. Previously, I had a Motor Dealer's Policy for 20 Years without any claim whatsoever. I'm Retired, 66 Years old, clean driving licence, no accidents at all over the past 25 years. The alternative they gave me is Pay the extra £105.65 and accept the non existence of No Claims or Cancel the Policy and pay for the 10 days cover plus a cancellation charge with a Refund of £87.27 from the original quote/charge of £133.50. In other words this has cost me £46.23 for 10 days cover! They also wanted to charge me an extra £46.50 for an Admin Charge for changing the total yearly mileage from 2,000 miles a year to 3,000 miles a year. I feel that I have been robbed, and that I my integrity has been questioned over my entitlement of No Claims. I couldn't believe the Reviews when I looked at the amount of negative reviews on this page and I wish I had read them before I paid Lancaster Insurance for car insurance. I "DO" have a No Claims Bonus of 9 years and all the other Insurance Companies seem to be able to accept my honesty, however I decided to cancel this Insurance rather than continue with what seems to me to be sharp practice. This was a horrible experience, and the tone of the E-Mails from this Company were appalling."
"An absolute disgrace of a company. After having a windscreen fitted that was faulty, I am now 14 weeks in to the process of trying to get it replaced. After continual phone calls with Lancaster and Auto Windscreens, I have received no help from either company and during which I was brilliantly called a liar by the Auto windscreens manager (Judy) over the phone. Lancaster insurance have promised to call me back on several occasions but have failed to do so every time. When I have resorted to calling them back (again) they state they are just brokers so it is nothing to do with them. In my 25 years of business and customer service I have never been so shocked by such poor (disgraceful) customer service. I would urge all never to ever use this company."
"Lancaster are clearly a cowboy outfit. It appears to be run on similar lines to a junk bond boiler room sales operation. The carrot of "low prices" to hook you in, then a rapid phone process to write up the business, and of course take your payment. Once processed your nightmare with Lancaster will begin and they have no more time for us suckers. In my case I was unwittingly driving uninsured for 4 months as Lancaster erroneously cancelled my policy 30 days after inception. Of course my vehicle eventually showed up on the police database and I got fined. During a week of calling, e-mails and hassle I eventually got an operative to agree they had fouled up. "I need to take this higher sir and will get our brokers to decide if we should re-insure you back-dated or start you off again with a fresh policy." I stupidly believed this for all of a day, then of course realised no one is ever going to make contact. They've had my money, I'm no longer insured, and now I can get lost. So now we will play to the same rules as Lancaster. Please consider making contact after considering this. We begin with complaints to the bodies that recognise Lancaster and their business. That means the Financial Ombudsman and the Financial Services authorities plus the insurance industry federations. Next they are reported to the police for fraud as they are essentially stealing money from the public. I have already researched the parent group and members of the board along with all relevant names and addresses so we can name and shame the guilty men. In certain cases, including my own, I recommend invoicing demands for payment for loss of time/earnings and inconvenience while cars are laid up or one is forced to rent vehicles (as I had to). It is also legitimate to demand reimbursement of any fines incurred through their incompetence. Send in your demands as a Formal Notice of impending action with a strict deadline for responding. Once Lancaster go beyond that without responding you can fast track your way into small claims court actions and/or the appointment of bailiffs. The more people who band together to pursue a class action the sooner Lancaster will cave in. However, to keep up the pressure, black propaganda on all your social media is a powerful and legitimate tactic. Begin the process now of posting your complaints throughout Facebook, Twitter and car/motoring related forums and web sites. Always upload the Lancaster logo if you can when posting. My background is journalism so I know how to get consumer affairs correspondents for all the newspapers to light a fire under Lancaster. I shall begin the campaign with Martin Lewis at moneysupermarket.com. Hope you read this Lancaster, I'm looking forward to the fight."
"I have been insured through Lancaster for 3 claim-free years. My renewal this year has increased by over 370% !!! I have spoken to them twice today and the only sensible reason I was able to get for this outrageous hike was that I don't have a garage. I have never had a garage. So I shopped around and managed to get (better) cover at a saving of over £400 on the Lancaster renewal quote. They need to try harder and work with better insurers! And their policies will not accrue for NCB purposes."
"So I sold my car after less than 2 months and was refunded £0. I was also told that this was due to theeir beneficence as they gave me a discount on the cancellation fee such that it should habe cost me more to cancel than to leave it to run the remaining 10 months. I had another dealing with them that I felt was unfair do I won't be using them again and I suggest you don't either."
"This is a company that is untrustworthy! After some several months of argument through lengthy correspondence, I was eventually pledged a small refund. It is now more than a year since the promised refund and I still have nothing, other than a claim that payment was sent, but no proof provided, just an unknown name they claimed to have sent the payment to. I am unable to get any justice from this company as I am not financially flush enough to get justice. I strongly recommend that you avoid any form of dealings with this company. It could cost you dearly."
"Do not insure with this company . It had a mileage restriction on it that I was not made aware of. I payed in full before my other insurance ran out. I phoned and was told they only wanted my no claims bonus I ask is that all that needed yes was the reply. if I had known I would not of insured with these cowboys. plus I have 20 years no claim bonus but my previous insurer only will put 10 years on it. now they want more money even when I have 20 years. and to cancel will cost a fortune. well and truly stitched up."
"Dreadful service and ridiculous charges. Totally incompetent staff. To those who have cancelled and received no return premium, contact the actual insurers [Lancaster are only the brokers] and ask how much the refund due is. Then press Lancaster for settlement as they will have been credited with the return premium by the insurers. If they don't repay you, I would regard that as theft. Report to the Insurance Ombudsman AND ESPECIALLY to the Financial Conduct Authority who regulate Lancaster quoting their authorisation number which is on their site."
Lancaster Insurance is rated 2.15 based on 144 reviews