General Accident Reviews

54% of reviewers recommend General Accident

How would you rate General Accident?

304 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about General Accident in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"Horrendous. Not having a human to speak to is horrific. I needed the date changing on my policy as my temp insurance was running out at midnight. Tried getting in contact with them by phone as apparently you are allowed to ring after 28 days (what a load of shite). Phones were down for over 24hrs. Website wouldnt let me change, so how do you expect customers to help themselves when your website won't even let them?. Cancelled my policy anyway to go with direct line, at least i can speak to someone there. Wouldn't recommend"
"I'm very happy with my car insurance"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 4 days ago
"General accident taken a 1000 pound 320 upfront then 180 a month for 3 months cancelled my insurance didn’t even notify me by call email or letter every number you contact to try and resolve the matter they say nothing to do with them and say u gotta email a different company or call and when you do they pass you on to another company when I did get threw the woman said there has been letters sent out they wanted proof of address well they sent the telly matics devise to my address and they can see the car parked outside my address every day and if they sent letters I would have received them by now honestly as a young first time driver this has been nothing but frustrating and upsetting as have done all my driving brought my car taxed mot all for this too happen"
"quick and easy to use website. very clear. good customer service."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 5 days ago
"I think the General Accident online policy is excellent and a positive development in the usually conformist car insurance industry. I own several older cars and in the past, transferring insurance has been an expensive procedure with admin. fees. General Accident gives me complete access to my car policies so I can quickly transfer insurance without, or at minimal cost. My only criticisms are that being an online policy, talking to someone isn't easy after the brief introductory 'phone contact provided' period. Also, customer support for a problem with a renewal notification blocking my policy details prevented online access and I couldn't insure a vehicle when I needed to. This was not dealt with effectively until a manager intervened. If it wasn't for these relatively minor issues, General Accident would get 5 stars."
"Theft claim was protracted to the value of the vehicle. On settlement at the best offer I was likely to get. The MIR database was not updated as settled. A new insurer policy was nearly cancelled over the discrepancy with the total loss of the premium. No one to call to report he problems, basically my problem to sort out their errors. GA is owned by Aviva who can't be ignored as the biggest insurance provider. Wont be going with them again, if I can help it."
"The only criticism that I would make of General Accident were that they were eager to increase my premium when it was discovered that there was something very minor upon my proposal which did not require revealing upon the online questionnaire. I cannot state what they are like as a Company since there has been no contact since taking out the policy."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 week ago
"All went smoothly. Loads of paperwork emailed promptly. Reputable company"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 week ago
"very good service questions asked by email were answered quick didn't give 5 star as it would have been better if you could have spoken to someone on phone"
"Ok"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 week ago
"I found it covered all my requirements at a reasonable price"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 weeks ago
"After being in a vehicle accident that wasn't my fault I got hold of General Accident to make a claim and the person I dealt with sorted everything out very quickly and money was paid to me within 3 working days! Also I was able to update my new vehicle's details quickly by logging into my account. Very happy with this company and its service."
"Good price quote, generally happy with app and documents sent in the post. We are on a telematics policy and the app only goes so far in explaining how it all works. Some times our scores are vastly different for the same roads and very similar driving technique. Some times we got 0 speed score despite never speeding. Would be nice if it could give more feedback, ie roads that are higher risk or that the app would prefer less speed on."
"You can't contact anybody unless you want to make a claim, and if you do need to claim they charge you 13p a minute. There app is absolute rubbish as I can't even see when my renewal date is and can't access my policy."
"My policy has been cancelled as of 11:59pm last night, I got messaged at 4:40pm that this was happening. All because of no claims discount proof, which I have repeatedly tried to upload. I have email on two occasions about the situation, the response was we’d get back to you in 48hrs. Why is there nobody I can speak to!!! I have done everything I can to try and resolve this, I have proof. But now I need to take a new policy which will cost more now because my last one was cancelled!!!!!!"
"website would not recognise my user name or password. Want to change my car but cannot get cover note as no telephone number for General accident. sent email but they can take 24/48 for a reply. Not much good when you have been given time to collect new car within 24hrs. Tried Aviva as General Accident belong to them but they could not advise anything. This whole website only service is ridiculous if there is no emergency number to use when website fails. Have been sent emails from general accident so why they can't recognise my email when I want to log in is beyond me. just getting so annoyed and frustrated. Will not be buying insurance from them ever again. If I do not hear back today I will have to try a new Insurer and then how do I cancel General accident as everything online."
Kevin Grindle
Unverified Reviewer
"This company is a nightmare, their customer service is non existent, apparently I don't qualify for telephone assistance so I cant even speak to somebody, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, I am at present trying to cancel my policy with them but guess what? I cant contact anyone DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!"
"The policy is cheap, but for good reason! So please think twice before taking a policy like this out. If you need to contact them to change something urgently, it is virtually impossible. My policy had about four days to renewal when my son’s car broke down, so tried to add him for remainder of current policy - having already paid them in full for the next year too. The online form didn’t work, rang them and was told it could be done but would have to pay online with my usual payment method. Waited 24 hours for the link before I could pay, then used PayPal. Had no confirmation from them that he’d been added so tried to ring again, but when I put my policy number in, a recorded message told me I wasn’t eligible for phone contact because it was an online policy and cut me off. Was checking my online documents and looking for messages on my policy or by email several times a day but still no documents. I emailed them, received an automated reply telling me my query would be dealt with in 48 hours. It was, but not with an answer to the simple question I’d asked I.e. where is the cover note or why hasn’t my son’s name not been added to my policy. There followed a few days of me checking the policy online and sending yet more unanswered emails until the policy actually expired and I had basically paid them the money but he hadn’t been added, which was very inconvenient and frustrating. Emailed them again several times with the same nonsense replies until I asked for a complaint to be put in. A very nice customer service rep called Kirsten eventually called me and said she had read through the many emails herself and couldn’t quite believe the way it had been handled, she didn’t know why the documents hadn’t been updated and couldn’t apologise enough for the bad service. I cancelled the new policy as just didn’t trust them anymore and they gave me my money back (less the days I’d used) which was fine. She also offered me £30 compensation which I wasn’t bothered about, just wanted someone to look into it as it was a ridiculous way to conduct business. Two weeks later I had a letter from their customer service complaints team telling me that the documents were in my online portfolio all along so I could have checked them there, totally contradicting what the previous team member had told me and basically telling me I just hadn’t looked! 😡 The documents were never updated on my policy nor did I receive any message online or by email. Your service was appalling, but instead of apologising and telling me you would look into improving things, I received a rude letter by email insinuating I can’t read. So it looks like it’s not just the call centre staff who need a bit more training."
"I think it’s absolutely disgusting that you can only communicate with the company when your involved in an accident."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 month ago
"Awful experience. My premium jumped from £650 to £1000 with no claims whatsoever and my annual mileage is only 2500! They failed to make me aware that I could cancel my rolling contract online. I called their customer service telephone line countless times to try and cancel but not once did it get picked up - I waited hours on the phone. Appalling customer service and now am being charged £56 just to cancel!"
General Accident is rated 3.19 based on 304 reviews