elephant.co.uk Reviews

63% of reviewers recommend elephant.co.uk

How would you rate elephant.co.uk?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

90 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about elephant.co.uk in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"Had a pretty bad accident a few years ago which I admit was my fault, but Elephant are now refusing me full liability which means I now have to pay back an horrendous amount of money back to them. It’s all down to this imdemnity form which I signed, although I didnt actually know what is was about. They simply said if I don’t sign it they will keep hassling me until I do, feels like blackmail. This company has always tried to find ways of avoiding to pay up even though you are insured. I feel like I have been cheated by this company, yet there is nothing I can do about it, all they really care about is money. Elephant have pretty much ruined my life. Joke of a company, STAY AWAY!"
"I was charged £19.50 for change of address"
"Had my insurance with them for a number of years, last year I got 3 points on my license I told them this numerous times when renewing my policy last year however they have failed to put them on to my insurance. So for a year my insurance has been invalid without me knowing! All They have offered me is £20 compensation. Joke if a company."
"The company charges you for any changes to the policy, but doesn't amend the existing charge, because they claim that the amount is frozen. So even though that you improve your policy because you exchange the driving licence from EU to the UK, or you move to a better address makes no difference, but gives them an opportunity to charge you more."
"I was over charged an amount and therefore received an email detailing the re-fund amount and why I was being refunded. I received the refund only to discover that elephant had tried to re-take the amount from my bank account without any prior warning or reasoning- which also resulted in a £30 bank fine for myself. When contacted they defended their action of trying to take money out of my account which I did not owe as I had paid my insurance off EARLY, therefore did not have to pay anymore direct debits. They could not give me a concrete reason as to why I had to pay back the refund and could not fluently give me explanations with facts and figures. Instead they demanded I pay back the refund without knowing why I had to. I pushed and pushed and at the end of a 30 minute phone call they said 'we may be wrong we'll look into it further, but even if we are you will have to pay the refund back as our accounts system requires it' because of a 'technical glitch'. God help an older person who would willingly pay that in fear without challenging them. Elephant is the saddest, most ridiculous and unprofessional insurance company I have ever come across. STAY AWAY!"
Marc Blenkinsopp
Unverified Reviewer
"Diabolical service dealt with that many call handlers one doesn't know what the other one is doing. Also different notes are put on each callers system which makes it even more confusing and the caseworker who processed it from the beginning must be the invisible man as we can never track him down or hes getting paid too much as hes always on holiday also there's never a manager available. Overall we are at the end of our tether with hour long phone calls each time. Definately wouldn't recommend this service to anyone. One frustrated customer. ????"
"Bad experience with these guys. Firstly they messed up the direct debit date after being specifically asked to change the date twice. Secondly we realised the premium did not match the one that we originally signed up for. The second person I spoke to had a strong Pakistani accent and could hardly be understood. The third person was undestandle and slightly better informed about our issue, but still had the wrong details which resulted in a higher premium after we had agreed to one price. They claimed we didn't declare one of the additional drivers had done a speed awareness course, even though I did over the phone, and didn't think it important to inform me they had changed the premium before we had even made the first payment. I knew I was in the right, our Confirmational e mail proved it and the call was recorded, but couldn't be bothered to argue our point, as it had only gone up by Severn pound a month and didn't wish to waist any more time trying to talk to these people. I'm sure we are not the only people this has happened to, so it sounds like the company are going to be needing the Severn pound more than me. Compmaies with unhappy customers don't do well in the long run."
"Without any claim even, they suggested that I had made a claim because I've asked what happens if I report an incident. This increase the costs of my insurance for 3 consecutive years at least even if I moved to another company."
"After a non-fault accident i was promised a car on the day and to not go through with the claim with LV insurance (the insurance company of the driver to blame for the incident), even though they were able to send a car to my house later that evening. after several calls with elephant insurance, telling me to call different car hire providers, i have now 4 days after the accident still not got a courtesy car, despite the fact that they promised me one each day.. I am very dependent on having a vehicle, something i informed Elephant insurance about, however, they have failed miserably... I would not recommend Elephant insurance to anyone after this, as when you need them they are unable to uphold they promises. Seems like the smarter insurance company to choose would be Liverpool Victoria, as they would have been able to provide me with a vehicle on the day, had not Elephant insurance told me to not do it through them..."
"Had a car accident which was my fault but elephant are refusing to pay out as I had previous NON FAULT accident."
"After a year with elephant I found cheaper insurer. I've received letter from elephant stating that if they will not here from me, my policy will be cancelled and I don't need to do anything. after my policy has finished i've got another letter from elephant statin that because I didn't informed them of not renewing policy i need to pay £116.68. Worst Insurer ever."
"Their portal told me my car wasn't insured and despite contacting them through the usual channels, it wasn't resolved. Therefore I complained. My complaint was upheld and the main issue sorted, but I still have outstanding questions. I've found the complaints department to be unhelpful and defensive. I asked to speak to a supervisor and that request was continually not actioned. It still hasn't been so I remain concerned that their complaints department doesn't do what it needs to. I won't be renewing because I'm so disappointed."
"A tree fell on my car so Elephant had it collected and taken to a local garage. It has been 7 days now and Elephant haven't even decided if my vehicle is a write off or if it is repairable, why does it take this long to decide this? I wouldnt mind so much if they had provided my with a courtesy vehicle...I'm on day 7 without one meaning I'm paying out for taxis to get to work and back. I have been told I would get a courtesy vehicle only if my vehicle is repairable. 7 days later and I don't think they've even looked at my car. I don't think I've spoken to a single friend or family member that have had to wait this long for action to be taken and to be without a courtesy car. I have made a compliant and have received about three phone calls from them all saying the same thing...they will look into it."
"This company is out to make as much money as possible. Their customer service is horrendous, they take ages to deal with anything. They charge you for cancelling your insurance with them. Dont Use them!"
"Absolutely awful service, try to do a COV prior to renewal. Renewals cannot help and neither can the MTA team. I work for a brokers myself but could not insure my son due to his age. Please do not use this company they are shoddy, unhelpful and no english speaking staff!!!! Absolute JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! god help anyone who has to deal with them for a claim !!!"
"Took out a policy 1 year ago and paid around £750. I have had no claims on my insurance or incidents and I received my renewal through at £1,600 so I called to say what a joke that was and they brought it down to £1,350. I went with another company (obviously) and got my insurance for £700. They could not give me an explanation as to why it was so expensive. My policy ended with elephant and I told them I didn't want to renew and they sent me a letter to say due to my "cancellation of policy" (even though it had ended and I had notified them) I owe £2,700!! They said it was an error but I think they are just a con. They also automatically renew your policy and store your details from previously unless you notify them which they do not make clear. I have never had so many problems before with a car insurance company!!"
Chris Chetwyn
Unverified Reviewer
"Long story cut short: Uninsured driver with no insurance and driving a car that wasn't hers...crashed into my ex partner. The other driver claimed they were just a passenger in car with their partner who was driving. They made claims for injury not knowing that we had the incident on CCTV. We provided the evidence that proved the fraud and incident details. The police have also seen it and begun an investigation. However ELEPHANT decided they couldn't be bothered to investigate, ignored all the evidence and just paid out the fraudsters in full!!! Then just said they don't have an investigation department. They have disgusting attitudes on the phone and couldn't care less about their customers. They are the reason why insurance premiums are so high. Joke of a company"
"They are great in quoting and do a good deal!!!!! but when you have to claim you will see there true side of them. They tried to pay 70% of the claim then down valued the car buy another 30% and was then trying to bully me into taking it. Do not use this company they do not care about the customers, bad service and try to make you feel like you have done something wrong. when a bad thing has happen to you and your streesed out already. They should be helping not making things worse."
"Originally the cheapest insurance that anywhere had to offer me but for the next year they charged me almost double what other companies were offering so I didn't renew with them and went elsewhere. I then kept getting letters saying I owe them £770, another years' worth of insurance. I rung them up to sort it out and they said my policy gets automatically renewed and now I have to pay £50 cancellation fee as well as £41 from December 18th to now (January 7th) for insurance I never even asked for, needed or used. BE AWARE OF AUTOMATIC RENEWALS BECAUSE THEY DON'T MAKE THIS CLEAR."
Paul Delanty
Verified Reviewer
"My son had a "not at fault" accident over 3 months ago when someone ran into the back of his car. He reported the incident to Elephant who the put him in contact with a third party company to handle his claim. He had to sign a credit agreement with this company that effectively made him responsible for all costs if they failed to recover the costs. He did this and an agreement was made swiftly with the insurer of the person who hit him and a settlement figure agreed. My son now is having to chase the insurer of the driver who hit him to try and get his money, Elephant and their repair management company Auxilis are nowhere to be seen in all of this. He still hasn't received a penny and has been without a car for three and a half months. In my experience your insurance company should deal with the whole process from start to finish including securing the agreed payment. Elephant and their management partners are shocking, truly disgraceful and we are currently looking at taking some legal action and escalating this just on principle."
elephant.co.uk is rated 3.47 based on 90 reviews