Animal Friends Reviews

11PM
11PM

Tell us how Animal Friends made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat
"Poor customer service. Poor complaints procedure. Too clinical and ironically impossible to speak to someone with a human bone in their body."
Are you Animal Friends? No one is perfect. Reply to this negative review and show your potential customers that you value the feedback Animal Friends receives and that when things do go wrong you do your best to put things right. Reply Free
"NO STARS, APPAULING. Refused claim even though it was supported by 2 different vet practises"
"Not so long ago I had five dogs two bms a staffs a boxer and boxer cross on a multi pet with more than never had a problem wish I'd read all the animal friends reviews they aren't cheap and they won't pay out be very carefull using comparison websites as the devils in the details £140 to insure my two remaining pups lifetime policy and everything they can do not to pay thats their way especially excluding dental related"
"They are always very helpful when I ring. Claims are sorted out quickly to without any stress."
"Really poor will find any excuse not pay, would strongly advise not using. Given a 1 star as 0 not an option"
"My vets will no longer do a direct claim with Animal Friends because they say they are so bad to deal with and apparently owe my vets over £150k in unsettled claims. This means I had to pay up front for recent treatment and then try to claim it back myself. However that claim has now been declined because my dog had an anal gland infection in the first 14 days of her policy over two years ago which wasn't covered as it was in those fourteen days and even though she hasn't had another one for two years they have now refused to pay out on a recent anal infection because they say it's linked to the one from two years ago !!!, AND they have now applied an exclusion to the policy for her entire anal and perianal area which they are back dating to the start of my policy over two years ago !, Basically they wouldn't let me claim two years ago because it was within the first 14 days of the policy and now they won't pay the current claim based on something they wouldn't pay out on two years ago !, How can they argue that it's a long term condition when there has been a period of over two years without any problems between the infections and no clear indication that there is any relation between the two. Also, check the policy small print because exclusions are multiple including absolutly anything to do with the mouth area which means anything they can even loosely link to a dental problem no matter how loose or non-existant the connection. I'm paying a premium of £130 per month plus excess and 20% of any treatment costs for an eight year old pedigree dog and in reality probably only 10% of her body is actually covered by this terrible company. Please read other reviews on here and elsewhere because there are huge numbers of people having similar issues. The reality is that I've now got to try and find £4500 which I don't have and that's why I was paying the exorbitant premiums in the first place !"
"ANIMAL FRIENDS INSURANCE only covers your pet 08.00 to 20.00 and never at weekends unless its life threatening. Animal friends only cover your pet at your daytime vets between 08.00 and 20.00 hours x 5 days which is only 60 hours per week They will NOT pay 'out of hours' vet care, as in Vets-Now only if your pet has a life-threatening condition as if we could tell! Male cats block and that is life threatening but I couldn't diagnose that. My pet had a rapidly worsening eye corneal ulcer and her face was swelling on the affected side and in distress, I took her to an 'out of hours' vets at 23.00hrs Sunday night & ANIMAL FRIENDS were not interested and not going to pay at all! In fact, they paid £0.39 can you believe that! So if your animal suffers from a variety of disorders requiring out of hours care, you will pay. The 'out of hours' per week is 84 hours, 12hrs x 7 nights = 84 and the weekends clock in another 24hrs = 108 hrs YOU ARE NOT COVERED. If your pet broke its legs, tail, vomiting, unwell, torn ligament or a male cat 'blocks' unable to pass urine its bladder can burst causing agony, you have to wait till opening times of your vet so your animal can suffer at weekends and every evening. while you look on. I even had to pay the £99 excess fee for no care. Swindlers I HAD ANOTHER CLAIM A FEW YEARS BACK AND YES, THE ANIMAL FRIENDS DONE THEIR UTMOST NOT TO PAY, MY VET GOT REALLY ANGRY WITH THIS AT THIS BUNCH OF NO HOPERS BY THE WAY, IT IS AN OFFENCE TO ALLOW ANY ANIMAL TO SUFFER"
"Avoid Avoid This is the most awful insurance company. thier sole objective is to avoid paying any claims. They use small print to baffle you and use your kindness to your pet against you when it comes to making a claim. If your pet has so much as sneezed and been to the vet they will use this to refuse cover for something not connected. Frankly they should be investigsted - they are RIP OFF merchants. DO NOT insure with this shower of SH*TE"
"do not use this company, i tried to claim for my Jack Russell skin condition and it was refused as my dog had a gum infection 2 years ago and this to them is still classed as a skin condition , also took the 3 weeks to let me know my claim had been rejected i have now cancelled this insurance and gone back to tesco who are a little more expensive but have had no problems with them on previous pets . Animal Friends what a joke they are con artists, just want your money."
"The worse pet insurance company to ever deal with!!!! I have never claimed for my dogs and put in a claim for my Lab's skin conditions and was refused!! They are a bunch of rip off arseholes! Take your money but refuse to pay out!! Stay clear of this rip off animal pet company!!!!"
"My baby had diarrhea twice, once 5 years ago and the other 6 years ago, due to who knows what... ate something bad, tummy bug, anxiety... vet did not diagnose, as it cleared up... I was being careful cause I don't want my baby to feel sick. My cat, 5 years later is diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, they decide to put a blanket exclusion on ALL digestive issues. ALL of them... I have been paying insurance for 6 years and now they will not pay out. I have found out that this is regular insurance process... but this feels crooked! I would not recommend Animal Friends to anyone! People say... if you can't pay for your pet's care... then don't get a pet. I have paid for Animal Friends Pet Insurance to help care for my baby... but now when it is time to actually use the insurance... they exclude us. As a human, if you have insurance you don't expect to have your insurance not pay if you had a tummy bug that caused you to get diarrhea and then years later you get bowel cancer. This is ridiculous! I RECOMMEND THOSE WANTING TO LOOK AFTER THEIR FUR BABIES TO NOT USE ANIMAL FRIENDS PET INSURANCE!"
"Had to take one of our three dogs to the emergency vet at 2am a few weeks ago. The dogs are covered by Animal Friends Pet insurance so got a claim form and was hoping to get some of the ,£220 back. Got a letter back to saying because we took the dog to an emergency vet during out of hours , we won't be getting a penny. Policy says not allowed to take pets to emergency out of hours vet. At 2 am in the morning I wasn't going to look at the policy booklet. Tomorrow morning will cancel all the dogs insurance. Check policy before buying or before your pet gets ill."
"Unfortunately, I have recently lost my dog and was hoping to claim. However by the time all of the small print clauses were applied, no claim was “valid”. There policy wording is very misleading and after paying a premium of about £370, I am disgusted that they have managed to avoid any claim!! There response to EMails was abysmal, generally taking over a week to respond and the chat facility was also useless. If you have a dog over 8, don’t waste your money insuring it! I also asked for a refund on unused months, but guess what, the small print states that no refunds are given!!! I think that it is very unethical for an insurance company to protect itself from most claims!! Disgraceful company!"
"Terrible company your animal is not there Friend there only friend is the people who can find a loop hole so they don’t have to pay out. It’s stressful enough when your pet is not well without having to wait 4 to 5 week for them to tell you the £550.00 it cost to have your pet treated you can’t claim coz you are are day out of policie... phoned in the morning to see how claim was going and told should no later if I Phone back. Got home from work and letter was all ready here... not just horrible conning loop hole finder but bare face lying to you on the phone.... don’t use !!!!there is a reason there cheap coz they they take you money every month then think there smart and rip you off........."
"Would not pay out on claim was refused second time would not recommend them Insuring the queen's corgis"
"We've paid for insurance for our cat for five and a half years. We've just had our claim accepted however out of over £170, but they've only agreed to pay back £38! I accept there is a £99 excess, but this is appalling. Oh and they've now decided that we won't be covered for any related claims from now on. What a joke. I wish I could leave one star. I'm on holiday now, but will be cancelling the policy and changing to a new reputable company who will pay out what we are owed as soon as I get home."
"failed to pay out for my cat. He did have a similar condition over three years ago,but this is classed as an ongoing condition so wont pay out. I have found this is a very big issue with pet insurance. Have cancelled policy and will not take out insurance again."
"I would have given none AVOID AVOID AVOID They don’t pay out saying and linking things to PRE EXCISTING JOKE OF A COMPANY ! SOOOO regret changing to them"
"In the last week my pet had been diagnosed with a terminal illness. After coming to terms with this, I thought to myself “at least the majority of the vet bill will be covered by the insurance.” How wrong I was. My cat is still young in cat years, so when I applied for the insurance I thought the basic cover would be substantial. Not only was the minimum payment paid, it meant I could not claim again for anything related to the same condition for a year. My cat will be lucky if she makes it til Christmas, yet I still have over £1000 to find to pay the vet bill, and the treatment does stop here, it will continue until she passes away. The worst thing was you could tell the advisor was reading from a script, because the last thing she said was “I’m sorry to hear your pet is ill, but we can only pay out the minimum. I hope she makes a full recovery soon.” Not likely if your pet has been diagnosed used with a terminal illness, is it?! No care or compassion at all for me or my pet. Should have gone with my gut instinct: petplan."
"When I needed to make a claim, I was asked for specific dates of when lumps appeared on my dog. I was unable to be accurate (who keeps a diary of when lumps appear on their dog?) And asked them to accept the dates the veterinary practice had provided them with as accurate. They hounded me for specific dates and would not support my claim to remove a lump from my dog, unless I could provide the same dates the veterinary practice provided. In the end, they paid for some of the treatment my dog received and refused to allow any more lump removals as part of my "for life" cover. In the end, I had to pay a large part of the veterinary bill, despite paying for the premium, for life, insurance. The customer service team were intimidating and obstructive, with a clear goal to avoid paying for my dog's surgery. Absolute money making, non-customer focussed company. Totally untrustworthy."
Animal Friends is rated 2.36 based on 193 reviews