First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
Easy to access and pay fee of £20. Communication with tutor at the beginning to establish level of learning and nothing since despite further communications from my side. Now over a month. Don’t know if something is wrong or if tutor has changed their mind. At the moment I wouldn’t use this site again to find another tutor
Dear Veronica,

Thank you for your feedback. I see that you haven't contacted us about the problem with your tutor so that we could help. We want our clients to have a positive experience and can offer another tutor free of charge. I will now send you an email with further instructions.

First Tutors
Appalling. They have a geriatric tutor listed and then when it's too late they have their fee and you realise he's too old to be an effective teacher they refuse to refund your money. Steer Clear!!
I have been unimpressed with this service. Having selected a tutor i had to pay to see his details which contained two references from his friends no certificates of qualifications or even a dbs. I am now in the sutuation that the tutor has let me down.
Dear Manjit,

First Tutors.https://dash.reviews.co.uk/
Dear tutor
I’m Osman Ali
I need tutor for my son a level
I got mr Laurence
He say I’m coming home to
Tuition when I pay the tutor fee
I call he say I’m not coming home I’m doing online sory ask tutor your fee to pay back so please I need my fee back many thanks
Dear Osman,

I am sorry to hear that there has been a misunderstanding with your tutor. I can see that the tutor did indicate that they were offering online tuition before you released his contact details to confirm the arrangement.

I can see that our Customer Support team have offered you a free replacement tutor once you have found someone suitable.

I hope the above will resolve this matter to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions or concerns please reply directly by email to the Customer Support team.

First Tutors
Too expensive to introduce to teachers. I am
Not impressed. If there was a one time flat fee for all teachers, can be acceptable but you have to pay every time you want details for new teacher. Not impressed!
Dear Amandeep,

Thank you for your feedback.

The finder's fee is based on the tutor's hourly rate so that it is affordable for all. The fee varies from £4.99-24.99 and helps cover the security checks we perform on all tutors. We find that this provides parents and students with peace of mind.

If you encounter any difficulties with your tutor, please do not hesitate to contact us, we are here to help.

First Tutors
After 8 years on First Tutors teaching close to 100 students, with 100% 5 star reviews from my students, First Tutors' algorithm decided to randomly down-rank my profile for using an autoresponder tool they offer to Premium members!

I'm now on page 10 of the search despite having the highest feedback score for my subject.

After speaking to the team, they refused to fix the ranking error. I was extremely disappointed after having worked SO HARD to build a reputation on their platform and advise future tutors to look for alternative, more modern platforms with better customer support.

I'm glad to be leaving First Tutors, it's not what it used to be.
Dear Andrew,
I'm sorry to hear that you have decided to leave First Tutors. I see that we did try and explain that there is no error with the automated acknowledgement tool that premium users can activate. This tool sends an instant message to the new potential client, but you do need to respond personally as soon as possible. We have hundreds of tutors working with us, so we need to make sure a fair system is in place, which ensures that both standard and premium tutors are listed fairly in accordance to their response rates amongst other variables that the algorithm entails.
I hope you understand.

First Tutors
Was looking for some work to be transcribed, the person say no problem, it would be a few days? To me that’s 2 or 3 days, this was on a Monday, so I agreed, then I checked in to see how progress was going, to be told it would be the w/e before it would be ready, so it was cancelled and I found a local lad that had it done in an Hr for me. I had to pay €15 to join, for me it was a total waste of money, and I will be shopping local from now on.
Dear Seamus,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear that tuition didn't proceed as expected, we were not aware there had been a problem. I can see that customer service have now contacted you to explain the procedure when a tutor lets you down.

If we can be of any further help do let us know.

First Tutors
I paid for a tutor, she cancelled twice and said she was unsure when she was able to begin tutoring so I should find someone else! Too late in the day this close to the exams so I have paid First Tutors for her details and did not get one tutoring session! Avoid!
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your feedback.

Customer service have just received your email and we have responded so that we can resolve this issue for you immediately. As you mention, it would seem the tutor's child has fallen ill and is unable to continue tuition.

Customer Services
Hi

We booked a tutor called Niamh for Honours English (Cork - Ireland) she attended the first session and then didn't attend the next 2 scheduled sessions and left us completely in the lurch - I am looking for my money back from First Tutors we have been treated shambolically - i have emailed First Tutors and received no reply - the website is hard to navigate and i definitely would not recommend this company
My wife has just returned from a singing lesson I got her. The person in the picture is about 40 years younger than the teacher. The teacher through no fault of her own has an illness which restricts her teaching.
I will be looking for another teacher and hope I dont have to pay another finders fee.
Dear Paul,

I am very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your wife's singing tutor: I appreciate that this is not the experience you would have been hoping for and understand your concerns.

We have a Customer Support team working 7 days a week to help you with any issues you have. I will send you an email now with details of how you can find a replacement tutor with no further finder's fee.

First Tutors
Fee is way too much money
Dear Jenny,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear you think our fees are expensive. Our fees help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our registered tutors - this helps offer peace of mind to parents.

Further information surrounding our fees and how we are more affordable than a traditional agency, can be read by clicking the link below:

If you would like to discuss this in further detail, please contact our support team enquiries@firsttutors.co.uk and we will be happy to assist you.

First Tutors
Had to pay twice for a tutor, asked for a refund but they would only refund me if I gave a tutor an unfair review which I didn't want to do so they wouldn't refund me.
Dear Christie,

Thank you for your feedback.

I can see you have been in contact with customer service as you accidentally paid for the wrong tutor's details. We have of course released your new tutor's details to you free of charge so you aren't out of pocket. We absolutely would not want you to leave feedback in this circumstance and so have removed yours. I believe there may have been some confusion regarding leaving feedback as you complained about a previous tutor, which we would want you to leave feedback for.

If you require any further clarification please do get in touch using the 'Contact Us' section of the site.

First Tutors
I arranged with Sophie to come to my house but she never showed up. She had to come twice but she didn't even bother to leave me a message.Not serious at all.
Dear Mihaela,

We are very sorry to read your feedback and appreciate how disappointed you must feel. It is our intentions to investigate this and call the tutor to account.

Unfortunately, as we did not hear from you regarding a problem we have been unable to help. I have sent you an email this morning with further instructions on how to choose a replacement tutor at no further charge.

We look forward to hearing from you.

First Tutors
I really do not know how to rate you any better just for you doing your admin quick. If you have poor tutors that you do not vet in any way , I cannot score you highly. I am getting the feeling that tutors in my price range 30-50 pounds per hour just want to pass the time and have no regard for what the outcome of that time should be. I am so disappointing that I cannot work with any tutors as I expect some preparation from them and some quality for £50 or for any money. Last I paid for a tutor who did not bother getting in touch, when you made him get in touch he was so negative about the progress. Just beyond me , I will need to do it myself . The only option.
Dear Gordana,

Thank you for your feedback. I am really sorry to see that you are disappointed with your tutor. As mentioned in your review, our customer support team are very quick at helping you resolve any problems you may face. Unfortunately, we have not received any notification from you that there has been an issue with your tutor so we have been unable to help you.

I have sent you an email this morning with some further information on how to choose a replacement tutor at no further charge.

First Tutors
My tutor cancelled on me the day before our first lesson after I paid the €15 and she will not be
Dear Kayley,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that your tutor let you down. We didn't receive notification from you so were unable to help. We do have a procedure to follow so that you can claim another tutor at no further cost. I will contact you via email to explain now.

First Tutors.
Very expensive for not much of a service!
Dear Liam,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you have found our finder's fee to be expensive for the service First Tutors offers.

Our finder's fee ranges between £4.99 and £24.99; we have a tiered fee structure to make the service as affordable as possible for everyone. Our fees help to cover the cost of completing identity and address checks, and obtaining two references for all our registered tutors, allowing you to choose with confidence.

You can read more about how our fees compare with other services at the following link: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us/

We haven't heard from you to indicate any issues with your choice of tutor, but I will send you a follow up email now to check everything is going well.

First Tutors
The website was difficult to navigate: I am 57 and find your use of language imprecise. I did not like some of your directives " No-one likes to be kept waiting so tell your tutor..." That kind of thing. I don't need to be told such things and regard it as bad manners that you do such. I found you self indulgent and I certaily won't use you again. Don't bother replying because I will delete e-mail before opening it.
Dear Adrian,

I am so sorry your experience with First Tutors was not a positive one. I have sent you an email hoping you will respond with further details about what areas of the website and/or procedure you found inappropriate so that this information can be passed to our team. We appreciate your feedback and strive to provide a user friendly platform for our users.

If you had a problem with the tutor, please don't hesitate to contact us so that we can help you find a replacement tutor free of charge.

Customer Services
First Tutors.
Did not return my money back when I asked first tutor I paid for a tutor but she did not know the topic so she said she cant tutor me so I paid for her info for no reason
Dear Frishta,

We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your tutor and appreciate this was not the experience you were hoping for.

I can see that you contacted our Customer Support Team about this matter on the 12th October to express your concerns and we replied the same day with details of how you can leave feedback for your tutor and then select a replacement tutor free of charge.

We didn't hear back from you about this following our email, but I will send you a follow up email now so that we can hopefully get the matter quickly and positively resolved for you.

First Tutors
The First Tutors system is almost impossible to use. They send emails which are 'smart' - you then have to open the link and click twice - very difficult to manage if you have contacted more than one tutor. Two of ours we had the same first name so we could not tell them apart on the system. We would advise that you contact one tutor at a time. I'm sure most of the tutors themselves are good, but the First tutors system stinks!
Dear Rob,

We are very sorry to hear that you have had difficulties in using the website and appreciate this is not the experience you were hoping for. We aim to offer a user-friendly service and your comments are important to us.

We have been unable to replicate the issues you have outlined in your review, however we would like to look into this for you in further detail to help you troubleshoot the issue and improve on the service we provide.

Our customer support team are available seven days a week to help you in using the website and will be happy to assist you.

First Tutors is rated 4.58 based on 7,328 reviews