First Tutors Reviews

of reviewers recommend First Tutors
Read First Tutors Reviews

About First Tutors:

Tutor Reviews

We gather 1000s of tutor reviews every month. In 2018, 90% of reviews were positive.

References & ID checks

Have confidence that your tutor's identity is genuine. All of our tutors must pass identity checks, plus we take up at least 2 references. These references are passed on to you once you've selected your tutor.

7 Day Support

Not sure about something? We have a team of experienced, caring people on hand to help 7 days a week.

No Tutor, No Fee

Contact as many of our tutors as you like through our website for free. You only pay when you're ready to hire one as your tutor.
Find the Perfect Tutor

If things don't work out with your tutor, just leave them a review and you can choose another one for free. With over 20,000 listed tutors, you're bound to find one that's just right for you!

Any problems?

We're here to help you! Just Contact our customer services.

Spread the word. Tell your friends what companies they can trust. Sharing is caring.

Tell us how First Tutors made you happy
Unreliable tutors who miss appointments or cancel at the last minute.
Dear Frankin,

I'm sorry to see that your tutor let you down. My colleague did contact you about this and offered you another tutor at no further cost. If you experience further problems please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help.

First Tutors.
First Tutors are a very easy to use online service with a strong supply of quality Tutors - I would thoroughly recommend.
It wasn't clear that payment for the initial contact was not actually paying for the first session. £20 just to make contact is unreasonable.
Dear David,

Thank you for your feedback which I will pass to our team.

The intro fee is displayed on the home page and does not mention that a free lesson is included in this fee and I don't believe there is anywhere on our website that would suggest otherwise. Of course, if you feel this is not correct please do contact us with the link and wording of where you feel this is misleading.

The intro fee helps cover the costs of ID checks, reference collection, qualification verification etc.

Please do contact us if you encounter a problem with your tutor.

First Tutors.
À total scan. Or completely exploits you, charging me £15 just to be able to communicate with the tutor. None of that money goes to the tutor , it is completely disgraceful. There are other sites where the tutor pays one fee to advertise and that is it. This site must be making so much money if every prospective student has to pay for a potential tutor ...just to see the details.
Dear Naomi,

I am sorry to read your feedback. It is FREE to contact as many tutors as you wish through the First Tutors private forum. Only when you have found your preferred tutor do we ask for a one off fee to receive their contact details. Our fee's help cover the cost of identity and reference checks on all of our tutors which offers peace of mind to our clients.

You can read about First Tutors cost in comparison to a typical agency on the website here: https://www.firsttutors.com/uk/about-us.php. I am sorry that you feel disappointed but I can assure you our fees are clearly displayed on the website and also in our Terms & Conditions which you accepted upon joining. Should you have any further questions surrounding payment, please do contact us and we will be happy to help. I wish you the best of luck with your tutor.

Kind Regards, Sarah First Tutors Customer Support
If you cannot stand by your tutors enough to be reviewed together, don't promote them. JIM LEE is not a responsible tutor. I would warn parents against letting him have influence over impressionable teens. Going elsewhere as I cannot trust an agency who would support this utter garbage. Steer clear.
Dear Jessica,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that tuition hasn't gone well and can see you have just left feedback for the tutor on their profile. We aim to fully investigate this and have contacted you directly to explain our complaints procedure. If we can be of any further help please do not hesitate to contact us.

First Tutors
Excellent service, It made finding a tutor in my area a really easy tasks and at a very low cost. Would highly recommend.
I ve been agreed with Kristina as a tutor.
She was never ever available for me. She was not available in the week ends nor weekly.
I've never got a chance even to meet her.
Terrible.
Kristina is a terrible tutor,impossible to trust. I ve messaged her on Monday and 2 weeks passed she never got back to me. I want a refund.
Dear Andrea,

We are very sorry to read your feedback and it is our intention to investigate this thoroughly and call the tutor to account.

I can see that you hadn't contacted us regarding your problem so we have been unable to help. Please check your email inbox at your earliest convenience so we can resolve the matter for you.

Kind Regards,
Sarah
First Tutors
An excellent service that allows you to choose a tutor in your immediate area. Being able to read reviews from other students is essential to making an informed choice and the introduction process safeguards both the client and the tutor. A quick and easy way to find a tutor to fit your requirements.
I just did not have the time, as I was going to get back with you to ask for refund. I was totally shocked the before me and the tutor could even discuss our needs, she was asking payment to her account. She did not have a mobile phone. So I had to insist talking on skype. I did not get the sense that she was going to support me enough as I was going into a new field. She did not make much suggestions of how we could work together. My impressin is all about money and she was also tied up with her kids. That is fair enough but the little time we have I want to get value. She is not for me basically. I want a tutor to lead and guide me.
Dear Vimala,

Thank you for your feedback. I see that you did not contact us about the problem with your tutor. We have a set procedure to follow when things don't work out as expected. I will contact you now via email to explain how you can claim another tutor free of charge.

First Tutors.
It was not at all clear what I was paying for. I thought the fee I paid was to cover an actual lesson, not exorbitantly high fees for simply passing on a tutor's email address. Poor communication.
Dear Anna,

Thank you for your feedback. The intro fee is explained and displayed on the homepage, it also appears in the request next to the tutor's hourly rate. The intro fee helps cover the costs of ID checks, qualification verification, reference collection etc. This gives parents and students peace of mind. The intro fee ranges from 4.99 to 24.99 and is based on the tutor's hourly rate. (example a tutor that charges 10 pounds per hour will have an intro fee of 4.99)

We wish you the best of luck with your new tutor but if you have any problems please contact us, we are here to help.

First Tutors.
Awful service! Awful standard of tutors! Paid to get details of a tutor, just a student with no idea how to teach the curriculum trying to make extra money on the side. Contacted first tutors for a refund as there was no other tutor suitable for teaching the subject I required available in my area. They refused a refund and only offered to release another tutors details for free even though there are no tutors available in my area in the relevant subject area. Not that i trust the calibre of tutors on the site! Very poor! Terrible customer service! Avoid! Money making company!
Dear Sabha,

We are sorry to read your feedback, we understand how important education is to our customers and aim to resolve this for you. I can see that a member of our customer service team has contacted you regarding your problems and asked that you leave feedback on the tutors profile to call them to account. I'm afraid we do require you to leave feedback in order for us to take this matter further.

We have contacted you by email informing you how to do this, please do let us know if you require any help and we will be able to assist you.

Kind Regards,
Sarah
First Tutors
Not very user-friendly. It automatically selects a number of teacher options and you have to double un-tick each of these, to then be able to select the teacher you want to get in contact with.
After a message correspondence not easy to run on the website, the only way to actually agree with a teacher on the first lesson is to pay 14.99 EUR to get access to their details. If then the tutor changes their mind you have to start the whole process again, identifying a new tutor and then pay again the above sum to get access to a new teacher's details - which is of course aside the price of each lesson.
This is what happened to me. As soon as I paid 14.99 EUR the teacher told me she was no longer available. An actual scam.
Dear Oriana,
Thank you for your feedback regarding the difficulties you found on the website, this information is valuable to our team to help us improve the user experience.

I have also just read the comments you have left on the tutor's profile and have sent you an email about claiming another tutor free of charge. Of course we have also emailed the tutor and demanded an explanation of what happened. I apologise for the inconveniences caused but please be reassured that we are not a scam and we are here to help with any problems encountered with your tutor.

First Tutors.
This is the second time a tutor from your website has not turned up I would like a call back in reference to this my number is 07793906714.
Disgraceful experience.
Dear Shauna,

Thank you for your feedback. We are terribly sorry and surprised to hear this as we pride ourselves in the quality and dependability of our tutors. I can see you haven't yet contacted Customer Service to register a complaint so I have emailed you personally with instructions on how to bring these tutors to account. We will also follow their non-attendance up with them directly.

I'm really sorry but we don't currently operate a phone line however, customer service works swiftly to answer all emails as soon as possible.

Should you have any further queries or issues do email us.

First Tutors
Jenna Ali coached our lad Ollie through GCSE English. She was punctual, efficient and courteous. She knew the syllabus well and what was needed. Ollie interacted well with her in what was, for him, a problem subject. Results day was today and he got an A in literature and an A in language. Well done Jenna. Highly recommended.
found web site very difficult to follow when wanting to appoint tutor and pay you. the step by step should be made clearer
Dear Spencer,

Thank you for your feedback which I will forward to our team. If you don't mind I will send you an email asking exactly which steps of the process you found confusing, this will provide invaluable help for our developers.

Kind regardshttps://beta.reviews.co.uk/
First Tutors.
Quick and clear communication. A very painless process.
Very straightforward and easy to use.
Pathetic does not describe the service. I interacted with a tutor, Caitlin Black, should be visible on your site, once we discussed my child's needs she agreed to tutoring him. I went ahead and paid the "fee" to get her details. We then started communicating via whatsapp, we setup a meeting for Tuesday this week, 15:00. On Tuesday at approximately 15:15 I messaged Caitlin to inquire about her whereabouts, I was told that she forgot about the appointment and requested we move it to Thursday (yesterday) 15:00. I agreed even though it meant I would again have to make special arrangements to make it happen. Yesterday (Thursday) at 15:05 I again sent a message inquiring whether she needed directions, her response "I am on my way", less than 5 minutes later she asked me how far it was from her suburb to mine? Confused about such a question I responded with an approximate distance of 20km. She then responded saying that she would only get to my place at 15:30, by 15:40 I received a voice message saying that the traffic is hectic and that she would no longer be coming! At this point besides being upset and disappointed I kept calm and asked whether she is still interested in rendering the service as the matter is of utmost importance to us. She failed to respond at 19:07 I again sent her a message reiterating the importance of the service to us to which she responded that she will no longer be in a position to render the service due to the distance and offered Skype as an alternative.
If this is the level of the tutors provided by First Tutors well then you are just conning people out of their hard earned money for contact numbers that do not deliver. I for one would like a refund and cannot see myself working with a company such as this, I have lost three weeks in which I could have sourced an alternative tutor for my son.
The messages as referred to above are available on my phone for viewing.
I will be sharing my experience on social media.
Dear Tobie,

Thank you for your feedback. We are terribly disappointed to hear your tutor has treated you this way and will conduct a full investigation into their conduct. I can see you haven't contacted our Customer Service team to make a complaint. We do have a set procedure when a tutor lets someone down, and I have emailed you the details of this.

Do let us know if there is anything else we can do.

First Tutors
Purchased tutor's details, who then communicated that they are moving overseas next month! Very unimpressed.
Dear Tamsin,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear your tutor has let you down in this way, but I can see you haven't raised this issue when we have asked if everything is going ok. We do have a set procedure to follow when a tutor lets you down in some way. I have contacted you via email with instructions on how to go about claiming another Tutor free of charge.

First Tutors
So I easy to use. Have already recommended the site to others. Excellent.
First Tutors is rated 4.58 based on 7,405 reviews