Review and raise up to £2.00
Booking made on TravelRepublic website but as an agent for YouTravel.
23rd September 2017- booking made for one night in Amsterdam on 4th November 2017. Initial payment made with terms of offer (balance) to be settled on 21st October 2017
21st October 2017- full balance payment made
24th October 2017 - notification that my booking is not going to be honoured. No previous notification or indication that there was a problem with the booking between 21st September and 24th October. "Occasionally, for operational reasons, it may become necessary to make changes to your booking. It is with regret that we have to relocate your booking due to hotel overbooking".
30th Oct- received confirmation that the SECOND hotel was successfully booked
2nd Nov: there was a further error. The hotel has changed AGAIN to a THIRD HOTEL. This was on the afternoon on the 2nd and I was flying out in the morning on the 4th so was effectively one day's notice! So clearly, the previous confirmation wasn't a proper confirmation so why tell me it was confirmed???
1)Why were YouTravel offering rooms for the hotel in September if they were sold out?
2)Why did they wait for FIVE weeks before telling me?
3)Why did they confirm the second hotel was booked on 30th Oct and then on 2nd Nov, say it was not?
4)As I was flying early on the 4th Nov, I had to accept the proposed alternative on 2nd Nov because everywhere within my budget was sold out! I made my booking on 23rd Sept, when there was choice.
5)Also my original booking had free WiFi, where as the THIRD hotel did not.
6) I booked a hotel close to Westerpark, where I was attending an event and would mean I could travel and from the event via an easy 5-10 minute walk. The two other hotels were in a different part of the city. One was 5.7km away!
7) I wasted lots of time and hassle, having to research the other hotels location, logistics on how to get there, numerous phone calls and emails.
I fed back my complaint in October after the first calamity (got no response) and chased again in Nov adding in the details of the second calamity, and after around six weeks they have finally decided to respond today on 13th December by effectively saying "oh, mistakes happen...but you had a choice and did accept the hotel on the 2nd Nov....". Offering a customer a 'choice' of a refund or an alternative hotel effectively ONE day before they fly out is not a real choice! I checked booking site in Oct, after the first calamity, and everywhere decent was fully booked! On 23rd September, there WAS CHOICE.
I am a frequent traveller (business and leisure) and have made 115 bookings in the past 9 years on a rival site. I have NEVER experienced such a booking this disorganised and fraught with errors.
Had I been notified of the error promptly (i.e. in September), I would have been able to arrange a suitable alternative myself. After lots of time and hassle wasted on this ordeal, they have offered NO COMPENSATION for their incompetency. AVOID!!!