Silver Fern Holidays Reviews

97% of reviewers recommend Silver Fern Holidays

Tell us how Silver Fern Holidays made you happy

Telephone
Brenda Stanley
"If it were possible to award six stars to Silver Fern I would. I and my friend had a wonderful holiday due to all the staff’s in-depth knowledge of the country but particularly due to Laura’s extremely efficient planning and provision of information. Our special requests were all taken into account with professionalism and good humour. Contact during the holiday was very reassuring and made us feel our hands were being held along the way. Full marks all round. We will be recommending Silver Fern to any friends thinking of a holiday in New Zealand."
Alan Bell
"They were responsive to my requirements and helpful throughout the process and whilst on holiday."
Alistair Johnstone
"In all stages of our booking, Silver Fern have looked after us with professionalism, efficiency and good humour. Laura (Ling) has been exceptional in every way from tailoring our requirements and offering helpful tips and insights to what to expect. Everything was handled from beginning to end in a calm and helpful manner, including contact whilst in New Zealand and post trip follow-up. We have already recommended Silver Fern to friends."
"We have no hesitation in recommending Silver Fern to anyone thinking of travelling to New Zealand. From the start, we had confidence that they were working hard to provide us with a memorable holiday. We asked them to provide us with a holiday during peak season at comparably short notice and we were completely satisfied. All accommodation was of a high standard - both hotels and bed and breakfasts; information regarding the distances between accommodation was realistic and helpful; hints of where to visit were appropriate; there has been good communication before and after our trip. Thank You, Laura and all the members of the team."
Dear David and Shirley,
Thank you very much for your compliments and feedback, both here online and in more detail by email.
It sounds like we managed to arrange a good mix of exploring and relaxing (and some enviable breakfasts!)
We’re so happy you had a good trip; I will of course also pass your comments on to our team in NZ and to all the places you mentioned made your trip that bit extra special.
Thanks once again for travelling with us.
Laura
"From the time we disembarked from our cruise in Auckland until we returned to pick up our flight 2 weeks later everything went smoothly and efficiently. The advise that Silver Fern gave was spot on and the descriptions of the country side during our travels was extremely helpful. We met another couple who were using Silver Fern for the second time and they were most complimentary as we are. Thank you Silver Fern for for putting together an excellent itinerary we will definitely use you for our next visit to wonderful New Zealand."
Hi Richard and Nina,
We very much appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and to leave us a 5-star review!
I know exactly who you'll have bumped into during your trip and so pleased you had a good time.
There are certainly a number of people who return to NZ with us - despite many travellers assuring us this will be their first and only trip - such is the magic that NZ holds!
We look forward to planning your next trip so we'll hear from you then!
Laura
"A really great trip is all the in planning and with Silver Fern's expertise and great customer service I managed to plan a holiday that proved to be the trip of a lifetime. Every element fell into place, the accommodation just what I liked, all the arrangements seamless. I couldn't have asked for more and I just had the best time from start to finish!"
Hi Steph,
Thank you so much for leaving us a review.
It sounds like you all gelled as a group and we’re pleased to hear that your independent arrangements off the beaten track also worked well, with what sound like a lot of wildlife sightings!
I’m particularly glad you enjoyed the accommodations we discussed as you were visiting such beautiful places :)
Laura
"Although th role Silver Fern took in my overall trip to New Zealand was verv small I was happy on the whole with the service provided.2 things I would like to mention. First of all it seemed a little pointless to have a driver from the zinternational terminal inAuckland to the domestic terminal when there is a perfectly easy to follow walkway provided which is very welcome after a 17 hour flight. Secondly when I arrived in Auckland late in the evening in the pouring rain I had a long wait for the shuttle which was a bit stressful as it wasn’t really obvious where to wait. Otherwise all good and hotel staff very friendly as they have been all over New Zealand."
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for submitting a review for us and we're glad to hear you had a good time.

I apologise that it was not explained to you by your agent that the reasoning behind the meet at the airport was to give you your travel documentation, rather than to transfer you between terminals. I will ensure we make this clearer in future correspondence.

I will also speak with our New Zealand office to request that clearer instructions are given for the shuttle, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery,
The team at Silver Fern
"A huge ‘ THANK YOU’ to the Silverfern team who helped us to plan, and subsequently coordinate, our New Zealand adventure. We had a wonderful time, enjoying scenic drives, mountain hikes, ice cold lake swims with a few other adventures thrown in for good measure. We were impressed by all the accommodation, being especially wowed in Wanaka where we enjoyed a penthouse apartment overlooking the lake complete with a huge terrace, hot tub and barbecue. To sum up, we enjoyed a stress free holiday thanks to your detailed organisation on our behalf."
Hi Nina and Steve,
So pleased to hear that the six of you had such a stress-free trip – although we’re not sure that many of our travellers would be braving a cold swim in NZ’s lakes!
Wouldn’t it be nice to be back in Wanaka now rather than the dreary January weather here?!
Thank you so much for your kind review.
Laura
"Our 5 week trip to New Zealand was everything we were hoping for and the arrangements all worked out perfectly. Your suggestions on how to extend the trip and include the guided walks was exactly right for us and we had a great time."
Hi John and Denise,

Thank you so much for posting a 5 star review!

Great to chat earlier on today, and so pleased that each of the walks worked so well and that all of the transfers were where they should be when they should be!

As discussed, I'll be in touch in the New Year.

Merry Christmas!

Laura
"Silver Fern provided us with a trip worth remembering! Visiting NZ was a bucket list trip for me, and with the help of Laura, all arrangements were done perfectly. Any request I had for slight changes prior to finalising our itinerary were met without hassle. Thank you very much! Derick and Michelle"
Dear Derick and Michelle,

Thank you so much for leaving us a review and happy to have left you with wonderful memories; we do try to be flexible to help tick as much off the bucket list as possible!

So pleased all the arrangements worked well and even the weather cooperated - cyclones aside!!

You're very welcome - I'm now off to NZ myself!

Laura
"The Silver Fern Holidays team were very helpful and knowledgeable. They helped us plan a self-drive itinerary around the South and North islands that we'll remember for a lifetime. Thank you!"
Hi Lauren, we're so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time on your holiday. It was our pleasure to help you arrange such a fantastic break! Please do get in touch if you ever fancy heading back over the other side of the world again.
What other countries are you interested in visiting? Indonesia
"My parents have recently returned from a guided tour is New Zealand and we’re very disappointed with the standard of the accommodation which fell very short of what was described in the brochure. The brochure promised handpicked hotels, close to attractions and great view including alpine. The reality was somewhat different. Mass accommodation hotels which was often dirty, views of car parks/roads, so small they couldn’t open their suitcases in the room. The list goes on. The itinerary timings did not allow my parents opportunity to explore the places they stopped. The tour was very much whistle stop and again not as described in the brochure. Although after complaining they were afforded more time at some locations. The response my parents have received from Silver Fern has not been satisfactory and they are currently in arbitration. Unfortunately the accommodation and Silver Ferns response has taken the shine off what should have been a holiday of a life time."
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your holiday; most of our travellers have an amazing time with us in New Zealand.

As you know, we tried to resolve your issues whilst you were in New Zealand and I have subsequently written a detailed letter addressing your concerns.

However, since this appears to be an ongoing contention, I do not think it appropriate to make further comment on your daughter's review in a public forum.

John Lightwood , Director
What other countries are you interested in visiting? South Africa, Italy, Canada
"Our 4 week visit to New Zealand to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary had been a year in the planning, and we have just returned, having had a wonderful time. Everything ran smoothly and there were no hiccups (apart from some rainy days, but as far as know Silver Fern cannot control that!). Laura at Silver Fern helped us at every stage of the planning, adjusting our itinerary where we had been a little too ambitious in trying to see everything and providing some valuable local knowledge where necessary. She also responded quickly and professionally to our endless list of questions. In NZ, we were met at the airport and given a folder bulging with information and maps, plus the all-important book containing tear-off vouchers for all the accommodation and activities/excursions. A very handy book indeed, and a great idea. We would definitely recommend Silver Fern and would use them again, if we were lucky enough to return to beautiful New Zealand."
Julian and Phil,
It truly was a pleasure to organise something that bit different for you, and thank you for putting up with my lengthy suggestions and amendments!
What are the chances that Cyclones Gita and Hola would coincide with the Beast from the East?! But glad that for the most part, your travel plans were unaffected, even if you experienced a few bumps on your landing!
I’m really happy that you enjoyed such a special celebration, and that the documentation you received on arrival in NZ complimented the information you received on this side of the world.
Thank you for your kind words, and here’s to the next adventure!
Laura
PS Trust you didn’t see any police “wielding hairdryers”?!
"The holiday provided with an excellent snapshot of the country. The scenery was magnificent and we really enjoyed the hikes. It was nice to meet lots of interesting people throughout our stay at the various accommodations. The holiday itinerary worked very well."
Hi Meg and Chris,
Thanks for booking with us, we’re glad you had a good trip overall and that the hikes worked well within the timeframe you had.
New Zealand is certainly one of those places – there’s no escaping the beautiful scenery – which seems to change around every corner.
Do let us know if you ever plan on returning and we'd be more than happy to put something together for you.
Laura
"We have just returned from an amazing 6 week trip to New Zealand arranged by Silver Fern. From being met at Auckland airport with maps and a wealth of information to leaving our hire car at Christchurch it was a great trip. The range of accommodation was excellent and the extra trips booked up for us were all great. We saw sperm whale, 3 different types of dolphins, seals, penguins and albatross as well as loads of other beautiful birds. (Although the kiwi remained elusive!). We learned something of Maori culture and enjoyed a fantastic overnight trip on Milford Sound and a helicopter ride over the glaciers. We watched the sunset over beautiful Mount Cook and grieved at the devastation the earthquake had bought to Christchurch. Everyone was so friendly and efficient and we were sad that we would no longer be saying Kia Ora New Zealand."
Dear Alison and Barrie,
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review as well as to email us with further comments on your trip.
It’s great that you had the chance to get to know the real New Zealand, and its locals – we can only apologise we couldn’t find a kiwi for you! Perhaps next time..?
Thank you for travelling with Silver Fern,
Laura and the team
"I have spoken to Laura at the office with a full review"
Dear Geoff and Lyn,

Thank you so much for our five star rating and for the detailed feedback you provided by phone; I’m so pleased that you appreciated the mix of accommodations giving you your own space, as well as the opportunity to meet enthusiastic locals for that invaluable insider knowledge in Tairua, Wanaka, Fox, and your home away from home in Christchurch, amongst others!

We’d love to see any photos you took of the sunset at Oreti so please do send some on if you get the time.

Thanks also for the update about the Kaikoura road, we always try to make travellers aware of the current conditions; we’re hoping the repair work is completed sooner rather than later, but it is such a big job. I’ll also try to keep Mantra in mind when folks are visiting Arrowtown – alas I don’t think I’ll get the chance to visit in May but I’ll certainly call on Rebecca at Blue Ridge when I pass through Te Anau.

Thanks for travelling with us; I’ll be in touch again soon.
Laura
"Friends recommended Silver Fern to us, and we, in turn, would not hesitate in recommending Silver Fern to anyone who wants a tailor-made, hassle free dream of an experience in New Zealand and Singapore. John's knowledge of New Zealand is incredible and his recommendations about bases, accommodation, excursions and fun activities were all spot-on for us - and for our budget. We covered both islands, taking in 10 areas, and the well-planned, detailed itinerary, which included driving times, accurate directions and precise arrangements for car hire, internal flights and transfers, ran like clockwork. Nothing was too much trouble for Silver Fern - even when circumstances dictated that we had to cancel everything and rebook it all later. We have fantastic 60th birthday trip memories of our stay in New Zealand and Singapore. Every bit of it was special! Thank you, Silver Fern! We will be back soon, asking you to organise another trip for us!"
Hi Chris and Jan,
Thanks for your positive comments.
As you well know John can talk anyone’s ear off about New Zealand, and it’s great that we had ideas of budget and interests from you before we started preparing your route.
Looking forward to booking your next trip!
Laura
"Very patient, helpful and friendly advise to our questions (Laura Ling), ultimately leading to a perfect holiday both in itinerary, booking and organisation. Thank you!"
Hi Barry and Sue,

Thanks very much for leaving us your feedback; so pleased that you celebrated Christmas Kiwi-style!

Happy to help you plan your perfect trip to New Zealand!

All the best for 2018,
Laura
"Thank you John and Laura for listening to our long wish list regarding our New Zealand holiday. 1st Nov to 30 Nov 2017 The holiday was excellent and in most parts exceeded our expectations. The variety of B&B,s Guest Houses,Home Stay,and Hotels was excellent. We were blessed with superb weather throughout which made our visit more enjoyable. There are so many memories of different sights and experiences we now have, Bay of Islands,Hole in the Rock,Hobbiton,Rotorua Thermal Park,Napier,Wellington and that only North Island. Kayaking on Abel Tasman Sea,Numerous Glaciers all accessed on foot,Superb Forest Walks,Countless Glacial Lakes and eye watering views,Wildlife experiences from Bird Life to Stunning sea life,and much much more on South Island In all over 4300km travelled and 1000,s of photos taken. Only a couple of minor gripes,Our Farm Stay is now not a working farm,Budget Car Rental offices were greatly understaffed and we and many others queued for considerable time to obtain hire cars. Automatic cars are not the best suited for motoring New Zealands roads.For a safer more enjoyable drive request a manual car"
Hi Ann and Dave
Thanks for leaving us such useful feedback; we enjoyed incorporating as many of your requests as possible into your New Zealand itinerary!
We will ensure that future visitors to the home stay are aware that it is no longer a working farm, and we have also passed your comments on to Budget Car Rental.
It does sound like you were very lucky with the weather, which must have made for some great photos; our colleagues in the New Zealand office in Hamilton have been making us jealous with tales of their Christmas by the beach!
With best wishes for 2018,
What other countries are you interested in visiting? Spain (Andalucia), Alaska
"John and Laura had lots of patience with us and lots of suggestions when putting together the itinerary to ensure that it suited what we wanted to do. We also had the option to book trips in advance. They recommended a three night stay at one location, partway through the holiday, which turned out to be much appreciated as it gave us time to relax and recharge. We had a mixture of hotels and B&Bs; all of which were excellent. The B&B hosts were good sources of advice and inspiration for things to do, be it sightseeing, walking, nature or adventure sports and assisted us in making bookings for further trips. Everything went to plan and all in all a successful trip, which achieved everything we could have hoped for."
Thanks for your great feedback Robert and Marie.
Hope you’re warming up by now and over the jetlag.
We’re glad you had a good time with Wally the Weka – as discussed, I’ve been in touch with Suzie and Caroline since your return, and it sounds like they’ve a wonderful Christmas in the wilderness planned!
Merry Christmas!
Laura
What other countries are you interested in visiting? NZ again
"Magnificent holiday in New Zealand.Efficiently organised with good customer service in the UK. Nice mixture of accommodation,particularly enjoyed B & B giving good social contact with advice re sights,restaurants.The booked excursions/trips functioned faultlessly and were very enjoyable.A busy travel schedule still gave time to go for 2-3 hr walks and other trips. Good local tourist information in most towns complemented the supplied comprehensive travel pack. Thank You"
Hi Susan and Archie
It’s great to hear what a wonderful time you had on your New Zealand holiday, and thank you for your praise for our team.
We’re glad that the range of accommodations suited and that you found time to hike some of the beautiful landscapes in between sightseeing.
We look forward to booking your return trip!
Laura
"We wanted to go to New Zealand for the holiday of a lifetime but didn't really know what elements to include to achieve that ambition. After reading reviews and then speaking to Silver Fern we felt that we were able to get as much as we could with the itinerary they proposed. Every aspect of the plans put in place were delivered like clockwork as we enjoyed a 5 week holiday in the land of the long white cloud!"
Hi Alistair and Debra,
Thank you so much for leaving us a five star review.
We enjoyed working with you to ensure you got the most out of New Zealand within your timeframe and we’re so pleased to have created a trip of a lifetime for you.
Thank you again for travelling with us.
What other countries are you interested in visiting? South Africa, Australia
"It was well planned and covered many beautiful locations. We had hire cars, caught buses, trains and boats and all the connections worked smoothly. New Zealand is such a gorgeous country with so much to offer, you drive for one hour and the countryside changes completely. Also loved seeing whales, dolphins, penguins, fur seals and sea lions all in their natural habitats. Have never been away for five weeks before and was unsure about spending so long away but the time flew by."
Dear Mr and Mrs Boot,
Thank you so much for your kind comments.
It was a real pleasure organising your itinerary, and great to hear that you enjoyed the many different modes of transport! We do like to mix things up here at Silver Fern.
We agree New Zealand is absolutely stunning, it is impossible to get bored of the scenery; we were happy to help you decide where to visit.
We hope to see you again soon!
Silver Fern Holidays is rated 4.81 based on 31 reviews