the saleroom Reviews

33% of reviewers recommend the saleroom
03AM
3AM

Popular Questions:

How can I contact the saleroom?

Tell us how the saleroom made you happy

"Having used the Salesroom.com for a number of years I was really disappointed to experience how bad their customer service was once a problem arose. The Saleroom.com provides a convenient service for searching auction catalogues and for online bidding for most antique auctions across the country. The problem appears that the Saleroom.com is not concerned whether their service is used by a good or bad auction house - and there are a few really poor, verging on the criminal, auction houses. I came across one of these very poor auction houses recently (Stroud Auction Rooms) via the Saleroom.com. After paying for and collecting my item from the auctioneer (which in itself was a rude and aggressive customer services experience), I was later charged through my card logged with the Saleroom.com an additional £20 late payment fee. Stonewalled by the auctioneer, I turned to the Saleroom.com where I was dealt with by a customer support supervisor. After proving that my payment was not late (with bank statements) and chasing over a 7 week period, I was simply informed that they could not deal with my complaint. Obviously the auction house is a more important customer to them than me. I discovered that auction houses can access your (registered) card freely for 30 days post any sale through the Saleroom.com - That's not a problem when its a reputable auction house but when its an auction house that makes a point of being rude and aggressive and will not allow a complaint to reach a manager - then the Saleroom.com has to step in and take some responsibility. It would appear that this auction house is notorious for this kind of behaviour - a simple google search says it all... Buyers beware... Your card details are not safe."
Are you the saleroom? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Get Access
"The Saleroom plays host to some of the worst behaving auction houses in the Industry and does not in the least police its members practices: A good example is STROUD AUCTIONS which runs a multi-level scam, starting an item at the buyer's "highest bid" level even when it is far higher than the published starting bid and when no buyer has a higher bid programmed. This happened to me recently. THEN, after collecting price and postage, they ship the item smashed in pieces, so well packaged that there is not the slightest chance the damage occured in transit. My credit card company intervened to cancel both charges (auction price and shipping) but I was lucky. AVOID AT ALL COSTS."
"My account was suspended after failing to pay an auction house within 72 hours. I telephoned the Saleroom only to be told I wasn't able to be trusted. After explaining I had been in hospital receiving cancer treatment I was asked to prove this was the case. When I asked whether it was ethical or legal to share confidential information with a third party I didn't know and had no idea whether the information would be shared, I was told by a very snotty woman in admin that she said the information would be shared with the auction house at which I had bid. My advice is avoid at all costs."
"The sale room is ANTI BUYERS. Just interested in the auction houses, some of which are "questionable" by not even having the items they are auctioning, so the poor buyers have to pay the auction house, plus the saleroom scandalous fees and THEN PAY THE REAL SELLER AS WELL. All of which is condoned by the s/r who refuse to deal with such methods and of course support the auction house and not the buyer who has a legitimate complaint about such practises.Arrogant, inefficient, totally computer reliant, unbelievably unprofessional, unable to deal FAIRLY with complaints, just interested in their huge fees. BUYERS. Look around for the other platforms to buy your goods, somne very honest, cheaper and PROFESSIONAL. AND FAIR TO BUYERS."
"just a terrible customer experience!, pompous staff who all think they are very much above their own positions, rotten from top to bottom,AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"
"BUYERS. if you want your PERSONAL DATE COMPROMISED, then the sale room is your BEST OPTION. They take all your personal data, bank account details, address, etc for registration which they then approve. Then when you go to log in, your account is IMMEDIATELY SUSPENDED for an unknown reason - but they still retain all your PERSONAL DATA. this is totally dishonest - unprofessional and BUYERS - who are not supported in the event of a query, should be aware of this. Go find another honest, trust worthy and cheaper platform to buy on the internet. There are many out there who are HONEST and do not steal your personal data for their own use."
"In all my years in buying and selling at auction houses. I have never come across a shambolic auction house like these guys. Not only did my telephone bid not happen. But I was offered the same lot 2 weeks later by the auction house because the winning bidder never paid. Only to find, after the offer was made and duly accepted by myself, they now reneged on the offering. I found them to be unreliable, incompetent, unprofessional and frankly dishonest. These people are amateurs and do not know what they are doing. It seems they have upset many others. My advice to you is sell or buy somewhere else and AVOID 'Stroud Auction Rooms'!"
"in 2017 I discovered thesaleroom.com and the prices were about the same as if you attended the auction in person meaning I was able to buy at dealer prices and take the risk and then sell to people on ebay and other websites where they didn't take any risk as they were protected by EU law and had 14 days cooling off period. 2018 and the prices now are coming in at the price I charge my own customers. (after you add the buyers premium at 27% to 33 % to the hammer price) only I have no protection. With an auction what you get is what you keep even if its garbage. Thats the risk I as a dealer was taking and in return I sold with full return options to my end user at a profit. Seems my own target market is now using thesaleroom.com only they're paying the same money they would pay for retail only without ANY protection normally associated with online retail purchases. Auction houses have a bad reputation some more than others. Thesaleroom.com do not get involved with disputes like eBay would so if and when you have an issue its between you and the auction house NOT you and thesaleroom.com Bottom line many people are flocking here in hopes of getting a deal after the marketing from thesaelroom.com and they think its like eBay in the sense they're protected, but it isn't and they're not so they leave negative reviews because they had not realised what they were getting involved with before they placed their bids The prices have doubled in a year because there are much more bidders now. The auction houses have improved their photos to entice the plentiful amount of potential bidders but you are still taking a risk and because you have next to no buyer protection "because" auction houses are exempt from retail laws."
"TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! I have been using the Saleroom for bidding online at various different auction houses for several years. I never encountered a problem before, but unfortunately in April I was scammed by an auction house (London Auctions Chiswick) that I used through The Saleroom. Essentially I won an item, paid for it, sent a courier to collect it and he was told it was 'missing'. After calling the auction to confirm it was definitely there, I sent him again, and when he arrived, again it was apparently 'missing'. Two months on and they've basically stolen my money and refuse to give me the item, but there's been no talk of a refund either. After I was getting nowhere with the Auction House, I contacted The Saleroom, thinking surely they would do something about this. After complaining to the Saleroom and sending emails back and forth for over a month, they eventually sent me a message saying they had logged the complaint but would do NOTHING. This means they just completely allow scammers and dodgy auction houses to use their website, and they take ZERO responsibility for anything that goes wrong. I'm appalled at their lack of support, and the lack of recourse for the auction house - surely they should be banned from the website, and I should be refunded? Either way, I'm beyond disappointed with the lack of help that was offered by them and I think it's horrific that they allow auction houses like that to work via their website and scam people out of money. I would avoid them at all costs, and instead try bidding directly via auction houses' websites, or using other sites such as invaluable."
"Terrible service the web page freezes i ended up with an item i did not bid on and when i called to complain they banned me from all auctions online. The worse part was they then continued to ban everyone else who uses the same ip address as me so my partner, and some work colleagues. When we attempted to address the problem with them just some rude woman said there is nothing she can do and stated she was too busy and hung up."
"The saleroom is only interested in the auction houses they suppoort. Buyers - who pay them 3% and their grievances totally ignored.. there are always two sides to a grievance but the s/r dont seem to understand that - just interested in collecting their scandalous 3%. My case? they confuse me with someone else & whilst having approved me one day, suspend me the next without me even bidding. THATs COMPUTERS FOR YOU. Buyers be aware - read the reviews from real humans who get shafted by the s/r. there are other more honest platforms to bid on out there.AVOID THE SALE ROOM.WHO DONT EVEN REPLY TO QUESTIONS ABOUT SUSPENSION. Cheats."
the saleroom is rated 2.46 based on 24 reviews