Swindon Caravans Group Reviews

89% of reviewers recommend Swindon Caravans Group

About Swindon Caravans Group: Award winning dealership selling new and second hand touring caravans. With branches in Swindon, Oxford and Reading. We cater to all your caravanning needs, from caravans sales and caravan & awning accessory shops to our workshops and aftersales service.

01793772096

tom@swindoncaravans.com

Greatfield, Royal Wootton Bassett,

company-profile.Click_here
Mr & Mrs Brown
"Swindon caravans dispatch and service team went above and beyond, collecting my caravan late Friday afternoon, when most had or were going home, they stayed, helped me with the in-rail awning and even helped sort out a problem with my tow ball on my car. The sales team were very helpfull, and even after some logistical issues the sales team helped me to get on my way as a happy customer"
Mr Deakin
"Very helpful and friendly professional service. Highly recommend"
Mr.Biggs
"They were very helpful and went through everything to ensure we purchased the right caravan for us 😀 We upgraded from Tent to Caravan we had very little knowledge of touring caravans, they were not pushy and left us to walk around the different caravans. They answered all our questions without hesitation"
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Appalling service, serious structural issue with my brand new Swift Vogue caravan and nobody available to speak to about it. Only sales department in on the weekends apparently."
Do you intend to use us for service and warranty work? no
Why did you choose the Swindon Caravans Group? The trudgians video bloggers highly recommended
Would you recommend us to your family and friends? no
"In 25 years of caravaning this is the worse purchase experience & change over we have had, having owned four caravans & two Motorhomes in those years. We arrived with out part x Venus as we were staying overnight Saturday we had brought the bare minimum equipment with us & loaded the majority on the front floor, Lewis was helpful & moved our old van close to new one he said he would let us change our belongings over first, I thought this strange at the time as a damp check is normally carried out first. He told us to look over the new van & on entering the first thing I checked was the front cupboard door which was jammed closed when we first viewed the van back in February he agreed then he would get the jobs done, to our total dismay this job had not been done as the cupboard door still would not open. I then I checked to make sure all the European plug sockets had been changed, again the TV station socket had been forgotten. Lewis said he would get the jobs sorted straight away which I appreciate he did. As Lewis showed as around the van we came to the microwave on opening it we noticed the turntable & roller assy was missing we remembered that on veiwing the van these items were in the front chest draw, we searched but couldn’t find the parts anywhere. Lewis said he would try find the parts & Once the handover of new van was completed he then said he would carry out the damp check on our old van, I sat outside he was a fair time in our old van & then broke bad news that he had found two high damp readings one just inside the entrance door & in the corner of the bathroom, he said it was common on Venus models, none of these areas were obstructed when we first arrived so knowing the common damp area he could have checked these area’s as the were fully accessible before swapping our belongings over. All our Past change overs, the dealer has always checked for damp before proceeding with the sale. Lewis then hit us with a dire decision, pay an extra £1000 pounds or change everything back & take our old van home. We were left shocked upset to decide what to do for the best & because we had a Building Society Cheque already made out were so worried we wouldn’t be able to reimburse this & the £500 deposit so we agreed although leaving our financial situation in jeopardy to go ahead & take the new van. Lewis said he would get the microwave turntable & roller sent to us. We also noticed that the original microwave had been changed for a different model which is worrying. On reflection I should have refused to take the new van off your premises until it had a complete working microwave. Not only did I have to pay £1000 extra for our old van, we are now left with a microwave & van not fit for purpose. Feeling very cheated angry, disappointed & disgruntled! Will seek advice from Citizens Advice if parts not resolved or new microwave not supplied urgently! Regards Mr & Mrs Bridges"
Hi Mr & Mrs Bridges,
It is always disappointing to receive feedback of this nature. The collection of your new caravan should be a memorable and smooth experience, unfortunately on this occasion that wasn't the case.
Lewis took the decision to perform the damp test once the caravan had been fully emptied. This would seem the logical thing to do instead of doing two partial tests; once on the areas that were accessible whilst the caravan was still loaded and another on the remaining areas once the caravan had been emptied. We maintain that that was the right and best course of action. It just so happened that the areas of damp were accessible whilst the caravan was loaded. Lewis wasn't to know that. If the areas of damp had been found in non accessible areas (due to the caravan being loaded) would that have changed your view and experience with us? The caravan has not been serviced since it was purchased from another dealership in 2016. As a result it is unfortunate that such outcomes are more likely.
Are you satisfied with your choice of caravan? no
Would you buy from one of our branches again? no
"Apart from Alan our salesman and the lady in the shop , our experience of buying our Caravan has been and still is a nightmare, its been back Twice and now we are away again and surprise surprise some of the warranty’s work ie heater hanging of with Ele wires exposed. What a bad service."
"Where do I start! Purchaed a 2016 Lunar Quasar 574 brand new from Oxford, part of your group. PDI on van was rubbish, let us collect it knowing the bathroom tap was faulty because we found out from Lunar that a new tap was sent to them but not fitted before collection. On site in 2016 we had a leaking tap from day one. Took them over a month to arrange for a new tap to be sent, first one was bent, had to wait again, then waited again for them to arrange for a company to fit which was fitted crooked/leaning. At end of season it went back to Oxford to have the tap corrected. Put on site in 2017, after 4 hours tap was leaking again, we had to disconnect and put stop valves on otherwise it leaked the whole time. Waited 2 months for this to get repaired. Bearing in mind this was a caravan 1 year old and still not fit for purpose, therefore we had no benefit of having a new caravan! During the 2017 season the floor delaminated, having only been used for 6 months, mostly weekends, in 2016 and a few weekends in 2017-we weren’t living in it for goodness sake! Today it was delivered back to the site for the season after having the floor corrected and a service carried out. The book had not been stamped for the second year running, which begs the question of whether it was actually done. The smoke alarm was beeping because a battery had not been fitted, the gas pipe in the front was disconnected, the television bracket was loose, not how we left it, it was filthy dirty inside and out. Their statement about being valeted inside and out before collection and after a service is so not true. You would not have received a second hand caravan from any other dealer in the state it was in today; and that’s what it feels like now, second hand, not the brand new one we bought in 2016. We thought Oxford repairs were bad last year, but Swindon have proved they are no better, they have no respect for other people’s property and my advice would be to steer clear of them."
Hi Mr Harrison,
We do not feel this is a fair reflection of the difficulties you have experienced and the efforts we have made to address them. Yes your caravan has had some issues but we are at the mercy of the manufacturer when it comes to getting parts in order to undergo the necessary repairs. Very often this can lead to frustrations because the parts take too long to arrive, unfortunately there is very little we can do about this other than continually chase which we do. We have shown plenty of goodwill to try and alleviate some of your frustrations.
Our job is to repair the caravan and all the repairs have been completed and the book stamped. We accept that the caravan was not cleaned to our usual standards and are happy to address this. As per a conversation you had with our workshop manager Colin last week, he is still waiting for an email on what it is you still want us to do. Please contact him directly so we can hopefully bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Bought 2 year old Lunar Ariva from Swindon caravans in March 17. When I agreed to buy, pointed out that washroom tap was wobbly and that vanity mirror door silvering was corroded at edges. Was told that these faults were noted and that they woul be rectified along with any other snags identified at PDI. Some 3 weeks later I arrived to collect the van only to find that the two faults had not been corrected, a new vanity unit had been ordered and the mirror could be replaced by 'Roman Glass' glazing company. It was explained that Lunar spares may take 6 to 8 weeks to obtain, but remedial work would be done then. After some 10 weeks I phoned to see what was happening only to passed around the houses until a manager came on the line to say that unfortunately the parts had not been ordered but he would make sure that they were and that he apologised. When I told him that I was unimpressed he said that it wasn't his fault that others in the dept had not done their job. As yet Sep 17 still not fixed. Look elsewhere to buy your van, preferably not Lunar."
Do you intend to use us for service and warranty work? yes
Why did you choose the Swindon Caravans Group? My brother recommended that I visited when I mentioned that we had started looking at caravans and were considering buying one.
Would you buy from one of our branches again? yes
Would you recommend us to your family and friends? yes
"On day of sale we were put under no pressure but given all the help and advice we needed to help us decide. Because we were considering going over our original budget we were given a price reduction to help soften the blow and the deal with essential accessories was very welcome and saved us time and effort as well as being high quality items. After the sale we were welcomed when we wanted to visit to measure inside and any questions we had were answered honestly. On the day of collection our van was ready as promised and had clearly been prepared well, even the tyres had been replaced because they were old. The despatch team (Dean) was extremely helpful and despite being very busy due to staff sickness we were not hurried and everything was explained clearly. He even removed the paint from my tow bar and helped me fasten the towing mirrors to my car. I cannot fault the service we received throughout, the whole process from start to finish was painless and even enjoyable (despite the fact that I have just parted with a large percentage of our savings!) - and of course we were offered drinks every time we visited. We came to Swindon Caravans following a recommendation and I can fully understand why."
Do you intend to use us for service and warranty work? no
Why did you choose the Swindon Caravans Group? Local
Would you recommend us to your family and friends? no
"The caravan leaked water in through the front windows. When we returned the caravan 2 days after we bought it and 1 day after towing it down to Devon and back the female sales advisor who we explained everything to immediately said we must have left the top window open. We explained that we had never opened it & then she said these things happen it is after all only a metal box. When you have paid thousands for a caravan you do not expect it to leak or have some blame you or tell you this. I said maybe that is why the last people traded it in to which she replied "NO there was nothing wrong with that caravan they traded it in to upgrade" I said would they have got the same money for it if they had said it did leak and she just replied "There was nothing at all wrong with that caravan" Her attitude was terrible but when we asked to speak to a manager his attitude was totally different. He listened, looked and found out the window has bowed. We got our money back after a week but still ended up out of pocket for the campsite that we had booked and the money we had spent out. If it wasn't for the female sales advisor we would have no qualms with going back to Swindon Caravans as everyone else had good customer service but because of her we will avoid it in future as that is what you remember and her attitude still leaves a bad taste."
"Very good apart from if you caravan wasn’t purchased from them and service warranty etc don’t wast your time ringing as they only do work on their customer’s caravans. Disappointing even if you were a customer before and the dealer you purchased from is miles away,this lets down a very good dealer......."
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Called this morning to see if they could check out a potential electrical issue in our new Swift granted not purchased through them but they weren’t interested in helping at all we live local just hadn’t purchased as we bought on impulse whilst tenting in the Summer elsewhere wouldn’t set foot over their door to buy a spoon never mind another Caravan when we are ready to upgrade I’ve worked for another company like this in the past and they went bust due to lack of support for a product they sold after sales and workshop being the same so enjoy being the biggest doesn’t mean you are at all the best and certainly won’t live forever when you don’t help genuine customers and potential customers will be steering clear of Oxford and Reading branches too very short sighted and people talk word gets round"
Hi Lindsay,
We're sorry that you feel this way. Unfortunately due to capacity limitations in our workshops and the need to concentrate on customers who purchase caravans from us, we are not able to do any servicing & warranty work on your caravan if it has not been purchased from us. This policy has now been in place for a few years and is clearly stated on our website. Should capacity increase then we would look to review this policy.

I think you will find that the majority of dealers operate in exactly the same way. Your supplying dealer should have made you aware of this when you purchased the caravan.
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Purchased the caravan in November last year 2017 all went well sales staff very helpful, Collection all good very helpful explained everything. Service department is where it all goes wrong, On the first outing the water heater and fan heater wouldn't work managed to get it booked into the service department in April parts repaired and everything worked well. Took the caravan back for its first service all good so i thought. Went away the following week end and the water heater wouldn't work again, phoned the service department twice on the Saturday and they said someone would get back to me,Nobody ever did. Emailed them 2 days ago and guess what NO REPLY. Would not use Swindon caravans again for service. But the sales department are good and couldn't fault them."
Hi Mr Clarke,
I'm sorry that nobody has got back to you. Could you please advise the make, model and year of your caravan and John (who heads up the aftersales team) will give you a call. Unfortunately this forum won't be checked until Monday now so could you email John directly john@swindoncaravans.com
Many thanks.
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"No pdi at all lots of problems and nothing much being done feel very let down by the whole experience"
Hi Mr Powell,
I understand your frustrations.
As discussed via email, all the parts are currently on order with Lunar.
The lead times on parts with Lunar is currently 8 weeks so we would expect them to be delivered by the end of the month / early November. Unfortunately we are unable to control this.
As soon as the parts have been received from Lunar we will collect your caravan (as agreed) and undertake the remedial work.
Regards,
Tom
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"my caravan leaks and they will do nothing to help us i admit I've missed a service but its only two years old a lunar quasar and they know that lunar have problems as the service manager told us they get loads back well thats £20,000 wasted no help offered at all"
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"A very professional team who did everything they said they would within the timeframe that they said they would do it in. Very courteous and friendly."
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Second post, first was how pleased we was with The sales team. Now I am pleased to say we collected our Baily 460/4 from Swindon. We requested some parts to be moved from our old van. Motor mover, rear camera and stereo. All done to a very high standard. Then on collection day Cliff did an overview of the van and all components to a very high standard, to the point I don't have to pick up the Manuel, and still being fairly new to caravaning says it all. Van was throughly cleaned even down to the toilet cassette. Swindon's standards are second to none. I have now added my touch a decal on the back, and my partner cannot wait to now add her touches to the inside. Have taken out the extended warranty for piece of mind so our next visit to Swindon (apart from the shop side) will be our service and have no worries as we know we will be looked after. If you want a company you can trust then look no further."
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Having recently had a terrible experience at a different dealership we seriously considered giving up caravanning altogether, however, that thought didn't last long and we soon found ourselves looking again. We went to Swindon Caravans and fell in love with their last remaining 2016 Swift Conquerer 565. As they were making room for their 2018 stock, Andy gave us a really good deal and we took delivery of it in July 2017. Yes, a few minor niggles became apparent but these are being dealt with efficiently and courtiously. We are more than happy with the way Swindon Caravans have treated us and will not hesitate to recommend them."
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Have dealt with Swindon caravans since Guy opened had many vans since . Sales men the best in the west ,always there to help if a problem , Would recommend swindon caravans to any one interested in caravanning"
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Brilliant after service, sent me a new replacement rear light next day after Luner stated 4weeks for delivery. Although my van was bought 12 months earlier and I live in the north east they couldn't have been more helpful , thank you well done ."
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"We was new to caravaning and bought an old caravan privately. Found out it had major damp but still managed to get some great holidays in her. On the way back from our last holiday she really started to show her age do lasted 7 months. Decided to try Swindon caravans on high recommendation. Was a sad time as we really loved our old Bessacarr. Tina our sales rep was so helpful and caring to the point had my partner in tears with excitement. Not only did she find us the exact second hand caravan we wanted, but also booked us in to have all the major parts swapped over. Motor mover,hitch, reversing camera and stereo with no fuss and nothing to much for them, and all in time for our next holiday in three weeks. Tina helped us so much and cannot wait to write a review when we collect our caravan. This is what customer care is all about. From now on all servicing and shopping will be done here. Outstanding service Tina thank you so very much ???? Anita and Den"
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"Having bought a first caravan many years ago from a competitor, the handover service from the Reading branch was like night and day. The salesman went through every aspect of the caravan with my partner and I, and even though some of the information had to be read again later on for the Alde system, we were both very pleased with the service we received."
Would you buy from one of our branches again?
"We bought a new caravan in May, our experience was acceptable but could have been better, the staff were not great they didn't follow things up with us regarding the delivery A few minor issues once we collected the caravan but nothing that we couldn't rectify ourselves very shoddy workmanship by the manufacturers don't think we will be buying from Swindon caravans again."
Swindon Caravans Group is rated 4.53 based on 329 reviews