SLV.Global Reviews

95% of reviewers recommend SLV.Global

Tell us how SLV.Global made you happy

Telephone
Gabby
"If you are thinking about SLV.Global, stop thinking and book your placement now! I promise you, you will never regret it! Over my one month placement I acquired invaluable practical psychology experience, I made friends from all around the world, I learnt a language I never thought I would learn, and I fell in love with a culture, its people and... its food! Thanks SLV.Global and bon voyage to those reading this :)"
Sioned E
"The most life changing cultural and rewarding experience having the opportunity to work within an amazing team and in a field thaI I am most passionate upon. I did not realize how powerful non-verbal communication is until I joined the SLV.Global in Bali with the language barrier and the individuals who have severe mental health issues or hearing impairment; this is one of the valuable skills that I have developed for my future career in mental health A lot of the team had graduated or were graduating in psychology however this placement is beneficial for all areas working within mental health or individuals with learning disabilities. The weeks were occasionally challlenging, yet it was definitely worth every minute of it by making that small yet significant differnce on the individual and I would do it 100 times over if I could. SLV.Global were very supportive during the four weeks and I cannot thank them enough for the inspiring cultural experience outside of the westernised world. Not only has this developed my skills for my career yet I have gained amazing friends and memories that will last a life time!"
Maddalena
"I did a month of volunteering with the SLV global in Sri Lanka as mental health advanced placement. It was a unique, strong and intense experience. The team in Sri Lanka has been exceptional, everyone has a strong predisposition for this unique and splendid work. I worked and took part in various creative projects with volunteers and the team in Colombo, working with them and within the psychiatric ward was great. After this my professional and personal experience, something has changed within me and in my life. A month of emotions, a month of relationships, of hugs, of solidarity, of smiles. A unique experience absolutely to be redone. Thanks Slv global for this great opportunity."
"I took part in the SLV.Bali placement in July this year. Originally planning to go on the 8 week Sri Lanka placement, but due to cancelation SLV.Global were amazing in moving me over to another placement, around the same dates I was originally meant to be away. Once I had arrived in Bali all the support given whilst there, in ideas about how to plan projects, or where to get certain items to make things for projects, and even if you just needed a chat. The wide range of projects which I was placed on were all lovely, and the experience I gained from this placement and working in a different culture, with a language barrier will really help me in the future. My homestay family was lovely and extremely welcoming, leaving on the last day was incredibly emotional as they really do treat you as one of the family."
"This summer I participated in the SLV.Bali placement. From the moment I arrived in Bali the support from staff was incredible, all the coordinators and supervisors were especially friendly and helpful, whether it be helping plan and run sessions or just having a chat. The other volunteers were also amazing, making the four weeks a lot of fun. The entire placement was impeccably organised, making the whole experience run very smoothly. The placement has provided me with more valuable experience than I could have imagined. I worked with a huge range of service users and developed my own skills and confidence. Living in a homestay with a local family was a great experience. The homestay families were lovely and welcoming. I learned a lot about the culture and religion in Bali and it was amazing to experience cultural celebrations first-hand."
Hi Bridget, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your time with us! It is lovely to hear that you felt supported by the team and other volunteers during your placement in Bali, and that you gained some valuable experience whilst you were there too. Thank you for all of your dedication and hard work on the placement, you were an amazing volunteer this summer, and we are so happy that you are becoming an SLV.Global Ambassador at Lancaster Uni! 🙌
"Support from the SLV.Global staff throughout the placement was exceptional, the homestay facilities are fantastic and very homely. The food prepared for us everyday was delicious and the village that you stay in feels very safe and welcoming."
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! It is great to hear that you not only enjoyed living within the local community on your placement, but also that you felt supported by the SLV.Global overseas staff too. Thanks again! 😊
"Are you looking for some professional experience working in mental health? Then this placement is for you, it allows you to gain valuable experience in mental health that is not possible to get in the UK. From living in a traditional Balinese village with a Balinese family to leading yoga and psychologically themed sessions, it was a really rewarding experience and I really recommend it."
Thank you for your feedback, Estella! We loved having you on the team in Bali and we're so glad you enjoyed your time on placement. We wish you the best of luck for the future, keep in touch!
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback, Gabby! We are so glad you enjoyed your time in Sri Lanka and that you recommend the placement to others looking for similar experience. We're so grateful for your hard work and we wish you all the best for the future. Please keep in touch!
Thank you for writing a review, Sioned! We loved having you on the team in Bali and we are so glad you enjoyed your time. It's great to hear you gained valuable experience from your placement and that you felt supported by the team. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
"My SLV.Global Bali placement 2018 was a once in a lifetime opportunity that gave me experience I couldn't get anywhere else. I worked with a whole range of people with varying mental illness, beliefs and that spoke a different language, so I gained many skills, such a advanced communicative skills. I learnt how to plan amazing activities and work in a team. I had fun and met lots of new people and got the weekends to enjoy some time experiencing Bali culture!"
Thank you for writing such a lovely review, Ellie! It's lovely to hear that you had a good time in Bali and that you appreciated the variety of projects available on placement. We loved having you on the team and would love to have you back! Best of luck with everything.
"I travelled to Sri Lanka will SLV Global in the summer on the 5 weeks advance placement. Before I left for Sri Lanka the SLV Global portal made preparing for the trip feel stress free. They gave me a check list of the things I needed to organise (e.g. visa, injections) and take with me. When I got to Sri Lanka I was met at the airport and taken to my homestay. The homestay family was very welcoming and I felt part of the family. The first week of the trip I was given training on how to behave at the projects and an insight into mental health in Sri Lanka. Projects included a psychiatric hospital wards, special needs centres / schools, teaching english, residential homes .... During my trip I shadowed a psychiatrist and we went to visit his patients in their homes. The projects equipped me with the skills I will need to become a clinical psychologist; how to run group activities with service users, what activities ate most effective for different types of service users, communication skills, team working skills and confidence. During the weekend we were able to travel around Sri Lanka and be a tourist. On the weekends we visited Sigaria, Galle, Ella and Kandy which were all beautiful. I would recommend this work experience opportunity as the skills it offers you to develop will stand you apart from other people looking for a career in psychology."
Thank you for writing such a lovely review, Alicia! It's lovely to hear that you had a good time in Sri Lanka and that you felt supported by the team before and during your placement. We loved having you on the team and would love to have you back! Best of luck with everything.
"SLV.Global welcomed me to a culture I was unfamiliar with, with open arms and acceptance. I was able to learn about what I am most passionate about which is mental health in the context that wasn’t taught to me in university. My experience was fun yet educational and well organized; definetly worth the money."
Thank you for writing a review, Journee! We're so glad you enjoyed your time in India and that you appreciated the cultural immersion that came with the placement. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
"Above expectations of the placement and of India. Highly recommend to anyone considering it. Great workshops, people and places."
Thanks so much for your review, Annabelle! We're so glad you enjoyed your time in India with us, you were a great member of the team! We'd love to have you back so please do keep in touch. We wish you all the best for the future :)
Thank you for writing a review, Annabelle! We loved having you on the team and we're so glad you enjoyed your time. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
Hi Maddalena, thank you so much for your review! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your time on placement, learning both professionally and personally. You were a fab part of the team and we are so happy to have you as an SLV.Global Ambassador! Thanks again 😊
"SLV changed my whole outlook on life. Every activity and lesson brought me great joy and the people of Bali I will never forget."
Hi Jenna, that's amazing to hear! We appreciate all of the hard work and enthusiasm that you put into each session during your time in Bali, and we would love to have you back :) Keep in touch!
"To say that SLV's psychology graduate placement was a life changing experience for is most certainly , a great understatement. The activities were challenging yet valuable. The SLV team and volunteers are a great bunch of people to work with. So much fun but more than that , this placement will not dissapoint you. Loved every moment. And I look forward to going back again soon."
Hi Sarah, thank for this!! Lovely to hear that you had such a great time with us :) We loved having you on the team and we want to thank you for all of your hard work. Please keep in touch with us, and best of luck with the future!
"Amazing opportunity to gain cross-cultural psychology experience and learn to discuss mental health from a different perspective. It was evident to see the positive impact SLV has on the Sri Lankan community!"
Thank you so much for your lovely review! It's fantastic to hear you gained from your time in Sri Lanka and were able to witness the impact we aim make on the community. We greatly appreciate your hard work while on placement and we wish you best of luck for the future. Please do keep in touch!
"SLV made a once in a lifetime opportunity possible. I loved every minute of my trip and exploring another culture. The team were approachable and accommodating and the speakers were inspiring. An invaluable experience."
Thank you so much for your lovely review, Jenny. It's so great to hear you enjoyed your time on the Clinical and Ancient Psychology Program in India and that you found the speakers inspiring. We loved having you on the team! Best of luck for the future, please keep in touch :)
"I went to Sri Lanka for 5 weeks in 2015 and it was such an amazing experience. Learning about mental health issues at university and then seeing them applied in real life in Sri Lanka was so beneficial. It was interesting and sad to see the stigma that remains over there, but made what we was doing even more rewarding. Would definitely recommend this"
Thanks so much for your comprehensive feedback, Olivia! You were a fantastic part of the team back in 2015. Please keep in touch and best of luck with the future!
"Taking part in SLV has been the most rewarding experience I have done yet. The organisation is full of the most supportive people and they made me feel welcomed and at home. Not only did I gain practical experience, but I was educated about the stigma and issues around mental health in Sri Lanka by their knowledgable staff and for this, the psychology conference was particularly useful and insightful"
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Rebecca! We loved having you on the team. Please keep in touch and best of luck with the future!
"My time with SLV.Global was an invaluable experience. My time in Sri Lanka was rewarding and eye opening. It made me even more enthusiastic to pursue a career in clinical psychology. SLV is an excellent organisation, with support from my initial application right through the end of my placement. Being able to interact with service users whilst also being exposed to the culture and exploring Sri Lanka at the weekends was amazing. I met some amazing people along the way and would highly recommend this placement to anyone interested in mental health. An expectional, unforgettable experience!"
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback, Maddie! You were a fantastic part of the team in Sri Lanka. Best of luck with clinical psychology and please keep in touch!
"I originally went to Sri Lanka with an open mind excited and scared about the journey I was taking but I was supported and guided the entire way through my journey and found it to be so fantastic and inspiring, I loved every step of the way and have walked away wanting to return but also such a stronger and enthused by the work provided and the team I was involved in. I am so happy I had the opportunity to do this and feel so lucky to have been given this fantastic opportunity."
Hi Sam, thank you so much for your lovely review and for sharing your experience with us. We're so glad you enjoyed your time in Sri Lanka, you were a fantastic part of the team. Best of luck with the future and please keep in touch!
"It seems a lot of folks go into an SLV placement with certain expectations and preconceptions about what their time there will look like. I can say that during my three month stay I saw these expectations shattered in ways that left volunteers both delighted and dismayed. It's certainly not all sunshine and rainbows, and as with anything else SLV is not for everyone. There is a level of unpredictability that can weigh on some, though once I accepted it and learned to roll with it, I found it to be a satisfying challenge to engage with. I was initially drawn to SLV because of their dedication to conscious mental health and cultural awareness and competency. The way they open the door for you to learn from, engage with, and respect another culture is an invaluable opportunity. Throw yourself into the work, be mindful of why you are there--why you are choosing to go, and you will have an experience like none other. The people you meet will change your life. The work you do will make an impact, even if you don't think you see it in the moment."
Hi Sam, Thank you for sharing your experience of our placement and yes you are right! Our placements can be challenging and we need volunteers to remain flexible and able to adapt to changes, which we appreciate can be difficult. We are really pleased that you have found this a rewarding experience, and a great way to gain experience too. You were a great member of our team and we would love to have you back on one out teams in the future! We wish you the best of luck for the future and please do keep in touch!
SLV.Global is rated 4.64 based on 175 reviews