SLV.Global Reviews

Telephone
Read SLV.Global Reviews

02070961718

info@slv.global

Tell us how SLV.Global made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
SLV.Global 5 star review on 28th February 2019
SLV.Global 5 star review on 21st July 2017
Sioned rhys
SLV.Global 5 star review on 17th July 2017
More Photos & Videos
I went to Sri Lanka with SLV in Feb 2019 and it was the most fantastic experience I have ever had. I really got to combine my two passions of psychology and travel, and go to a community that I can help and learn from. I was always supported during our projects, and if things got too much for us, our supervisors and peer mentors were there 24/7 with support to get us through. It was an invaluable experience and it has furthered my career and education in the psychology field exponentially.
Thank you for writing this review about your time with us last year.

It's great to hear that you felt supported and that you were able to learn more about the new culture & global mental health whilst you were in Sri Lanka. I'm also glad that your placement had such a positive impact on your career too! 🙌

Thank you for all your hard work on the placement - if you need anything from us, please don't hesitate to get in touch!
After joining the SLV.Global India programme in 2017, it is safe to say my life has been completely transformed.

Not only have I completed a further 2 placements with SLV.Global in Sri Lanka (2018 as a peer mentor - 3 months) and in Bali (2019 as a Vol. Coordinator - 3 months), but I have also acted as an ambassador for my university, gaining some extra money whilst promoting a cause I strongly align with.

My placements with SLV.Global have given me a real opportunity to explore a massive variety of different areas of interest, whether that’s teaching, activity support work, global mental health, cross cultural psychology, positive psychology or so on. This is NOT just a psychology obsessed company, but a company that places enriching the lives of both its service users, community members and volunteers in a positive way at the centre of what it does. Volunteers continually promote positive mental health whether that’s during projects or even in the community.

Despite what people may think, NO level of qualifications in the west entitles you to dictate how another country or culture should approach their mental health issues. This is what is so refreshing about SLV.Global, as they attempt to shift the focus away from the ‘west is best’ mentality and onto supporting the local communities to grow and develop in their own organic way. It is for that reason that volunteers joining the SLV.Global placements do NOT practice complex therapies, irrespective of their level of training. Volunteers work as activity support workers, helping members of the local community and service users gain vital and useful skills to use in every day life.

In my experience there are no other companies that offer the unique programmes SLV.Global offers. Despite all this however, the programmes may not be for everyone. If, however, you decide to apply, gain your place, pay your fees and attend placement and then realise that it is not the programme for you, then perhaps a certain level of research was not conducted first. My biggest advice to any future volunteers is read the website! There’s information about costs, how the money is spent, what SLV.Global offers and what to expect all on the website, whether that’s in the info packs, general info, FAQs, blogs OR vlogs there is definitely a lot of info out there! By the time I had read all these various things I had definitely got a clear idea of what SLV.Global stood for and what they offered, and if anything I underestimated just how amazing the experience would be.

All in all, I would not be where I am today without SLV.Global and I am extremely grateful for the experience, life-long friends I have made, and for the opportunity to get to know myself that little bit better!

I can’t wait for the next adventure!
I took part in the SLV.Bali placement in July this year. Originally planning to go on the 8 week Sri Lanka placement, but due to cancelation SLV.Global were amazing in moving me over to another placement, around the same dates I was originally meant to be away. Once I had arrived in Bali all the support given whilst there, in ideas about how to plan projects, or where to get certain items to make things for projects, and even if you just needed a chat. The wide range of projects which I was placed on were all lovely, and the experience I gained from this placement and working in a different culture, with a language barrier will really help me in the future.
My homestay family was lovely and extremely welcoming, leaving on the last day was incredibly emotional as they really do treat you as one of the family.
Hi Aeonie! We really appreciate that you took the time to write a review for us. We were so happy that we were able to find another placement that works for you in a different destination 😊You were an amazing volunteer in Bali, so it is great to hear that you felt supported, and enjoyed your time there. Thank you for all of your hard work!
This summer I participated in the SLV.Bali placement. From the moment I arrived in Bali the support from staff was incredible, all the coordinators and supervisors were especially friendly and helpful, whether it be helping plan and run sessions or just having a chat. The other volunteers were also amazing, making the four weeks a lot of fun. The entire placement was impeccably organised, making the whole experience run very smoothly.
The placement has provided me with more valuable experience than I could have imagined. I worked with a huge range of service users and developed my own skills and confidence.
Living in a homestay with a local family was a great experience. The homestay families were lovely and welcoming. I learned a lot about the culture and religion in Bali and it was amazing to experience cultural celebrations first-hand.
Hi Bridget, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your time with us! It is lovely to hear that you felt supported by the team and other volunteers during your placement in Bali, and that you gained some valuable experience whilst you were there too. Thank you for all of your dedication and hard work on the placement, you were an amazing volunteer this summer, and we are so happy that you are becoming an SLV.Global Ambassador at Lancaster Uni! 🙌
Support from the SLV.Global staff throughout the placement was exceptional, the homestay facilities are fantastic and very homely. The food prepared for us everyday was delicious and the village that you stay in feels very safe and welcoming.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! It is great to hear that you not only enjoyed living within the local community on your placement, but also that you felt supported by the SLV.Global overseas staff too. Thanks again! 😊
Are you looking for some professional experience working in mental health? Then this placement is for you, it allows you to gain valuable experience in mental health that is not possible to get in the UK. From living in a traditional Balinese village with a Balinese family to leading yoga and psychologically themed sessions, it was a really rewarding experience and I really recommend it.
Thank you for your feedback, Estella! We loved having you on the team in Bali and we're so glad you enjoyed your time on placement. We wish you the best of luck for the future, keep in touch!
If you are thinking about SLV.Global, stop thinking and book your placement now! I promise you, you will never regret it! Over my one month placement I acquired invaluable practical psychology experience, I made friends from all around the world, I learnt a language I never thought I would learn, and I fell in love with a culture, its people and... its food! Thanks SLV.Global and bon voyage to those reading this :)
SLV.Global 5 star review on 28th February 2019
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback, Gabby! We are so glad you enjoyed your time in Sri Lanka and that you recommend the placement to others looking for similar experience. We're so grateful for your hard work and we wish you all the best for the future. Please keep in touch!
The most life changing cultural and rewarding experience having the opportunity to work within an amazing team and in a field thaI I am most passionate upon. I did not realize how powerful non-verbal communication is until I joined the SLV.Global in Bali with the language barrier and the individuals who have severe mental health issues or hearing impairment; this is one of the valuable skills that I have developed for my future career in mental health A lot of the team had graduated or were graduating in psychology however this placement is beneficial for all areas working within mental health or individuals with learning disabilities. The weeks were occasionally challlenging, yet it was definitely worth every minute of it by making that small yet significant differnce on the individual and I would do it 100 times over if I could. SLV.Global were very supportive during the four weeks and I cannot thank them enough for the inspiring cultural experience outside of the westernised world. Not only has this developed my skills for my career yet I have gained amazing friends and memories that will last a life time!
SLV.Global 5 star review on 3rd October 2018 SLV.Global 5 star review on 3rd October 2018
Thank you for writing a review, Sioned! We loved having you on the team in Bali and we are so glad you enjoyed your time. It's great to hear you gained valuable experience from your placement and that you felt supported by the team. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
My SLV.Global Bali placement 2018 was a once in a lifetime opportunity that gave me experience I couldn't get anywhere else. I worked with a whole range of people with varying mental illness, beliefs and that spoke a different language, so I gained many skills, such a advanced communicative skills. I learnt how to plan amazing activities and work in a team. I had fun and met lots of new people and got the weekends to enjoy some time experiencing Bali culture!
Thank you for writing such a lovely review, Ellie! It's lovely to hear that you had a good time in Bali and that you appreciated the variety of projects available on placement. We loved having you on the team and would love to have you back! Best of luck with everything.
I travelled to Sri Lanka will SLV Global in the summer on the 5 weeks advance placement. Before I left for Sri Lanka the SLV Global portal made preparing for the trip feel stress free. They gave me a check list of the things I needed to organise (e.g. visa, injections) and take with me. When I got to Sri Lanka I was met at the airport and taken to my homestay. The homestay family was very welcoming and I felt part of the family. The first week of the trip I was given training on how to behave at the projects and an insight into mental health in Sri Lanka. Projects included a psychiatric hospital wards, special needs centres / schools, teaching english, residential homes .... During my trip I shadowed a psychiatrist and we went to visit his patients in their homes. The projects equipped me with the skills I will need to become a clinical psychologist; how to run group activities with service users, what activities ate most effective for different types of service users, communication skills, team working skills and confidence. During the weekend we were able to travel around Sri Lanka and be a tourist. On the weekends we visited Sigaria, Galle, Ella and Kandy which were all beautiful. I would recommend this work experience opportunity as the skills it offers you to develop will stand you apart from other people looking for a career in psychology.
Thank you for writing such a lovely review, Alicia! It's lovely to hear that you had a good time in Sri Lanka and that you felt supported by the team before and during your placement. We loved having you on the team and would love to have you back! Best of luck with everything.
SLV.Global welcomed me to a culture I was unfamiliar with, with open arms and acceptance. I was able to learn about what I am most passionate about which is mental health in the context that wasn’t taught to me in university. My experience was fun yet educational and well organized; definetly worth the money.
Thank you for writing a review, Journee! We're so glad you enjoyed your time in India and that you appreciated the cultural immersion that came with the placement. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
Above expectations of the placement and of India. Highly recommend to anyone considering it. Great workshops, people and places.
Thanks so much for your review, Annabelle! We're so glad you enjoyed your time in India with us, you were a great member of the team! We'd love to have you back so please do keep in touch. We wish you all the best for the future :)
Thank you for writing a review, Annabelle! We loved having you on the team and we're so glad you enjoyed your time. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
I did a month of volunteering with the SLV global in Sri Lanka as mental health advanced placement. It was a unique, strong and intense experience. The team in Sri Lanka has been exceptional, everyone has a strong predisposition for this unique and splendid work. I worked and took part in various creative projects with volunteers and the team in Colombo, working with them and within the psychiatric ward was great. After this my professional and personal experience, something has changed within me and in my life. A month of emotions, a month of relationships, of hugs, of solidarity, of smiles. A unique experience absolutely to be redone. Thanks Slv global for this great opportunity.
SLV.Global 5 star review on 1st August 2018
Hi Maddalena, thank you so much for your review! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your time on placement, learning both professionally and personally. You were a fab part of the team and we are so happy to have you as an SLV.Global Ambassador! Thanks again 😊
SLV changed my whole outlook on life. Every activity and lesson brought me great joy and the people of Bali I will never forget.
Hi Jenna, that's amazing to hear! We appreciate all of the hard work and enthusiasm that you put into each session during your time in Bali, and we would love to have you back :) Keep in touch!
To say that SLV's psychology graduate placement was a life changing experience for is most certainly , a great understatement. The activities were challenging yet valuable. The SLV team and volunteers are a great bunch of people to work with. So much fun but more than that , this placement will not dissapoint you. Loved every moment. And I look forward to going back again soon.
Hi Sarah, thank for this!! Lovely to hear that you had such a great time with us :) We loved having you on the team and we want to thank you for all of your hard work. Please keep in touch with us, and best of luck with the future!
Amazing opportunity to gain cross-cultural psychology experience and learn to discuss mental health from a different perspective. It was evident to see the positive impact SLV has on the Sri Lankan community!
Thank you so much for your lovely review! It's fantastic to hear you gained from your time in Sri Lanka and were able to witness the impact we aim make on the community. We greatly appreciate your hard work while on placement and we wish you best of luck for the future. Please do keep in touch!
SLV made a once in a lifetime opportunity possible. I loved every minute of my trip and exploring another culture. The team were approachable and accommodating and the speakers were inspiring. An invaluable experience.
Thank you so much for your lovely review, Jenny. It's so great to hear you enjoyed your time on the Clinical and Ancient Psychology Program in India and that you found the speakers inspiring. We loved having you on the team! Best of luck for the future, please keep in touch :)
I went to Sri Lanka for 5 weeks in 2015 and it was such an amazing experience. Learning about mental health issues at university and then seeing them applied in real life in Sri Lanka was so beneficial. It was interesting and sad to see the stigma that remains over there, but made what we was doing even more rewarding. Would definitely recommend this
Thanks so much for your comprehensive feedback, Olivia! You were a fantastic part of the team back in 2015. Please keep in touch and best of luck with the future!
Taking part in SLV has been the most rewarding experience I have done yet. The organisation is full of the most supportive people and they made me feel welcomed and at home. Not only did I gain practical experience, but I was educated about the stigma and issues around mental health in Sri Lanka by their knowledgable staff and for this, the psychology conference was particularly useful and insightful
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Rebecca! We loved having you on the team. Please keep in touch and best of luck with the future!
My time with SLV.Global was an invaluable experience. My time in Sri Lanka was rewarding and eye opening. It made me even more enthusiastic to pursue a career in clinical psychology. SLV is an excellent organisation, with support from my initial application right through the end of my placement. Being able to interact with service users whilst also being exposed to the culture and exploring Sri Lanka at the weekends was amazing. I met some amazing people along the way and would highly recommend this placement to anyone interested in mental health. An expectional, unforgettable experience!
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback, Maddie! You were a fantastic part of the team in Sri Lanka. Best of luck with clinical psychology and please keep in touch!
SLV.Global is rated 4.58 based on 180 reviews