SLV.Global Reviews

Telephone
Read SLV.Global Reviews

02070961718

info@slv.global

Tell us how SLV.Global made you happy
SLV.Global 5 star review on 28th February 2019
SLV.Global 5 star review on 21st July 2017
Sioned rhys
SLV.Global 5 star review on 17th July 2017
More Photos & Videos
The five weeks I spent volunteering with SLV on the psychology placement gave me a unique insight into the field of mental health in Sri Lanka. The projects we were assigned to were varied in scope (i.e. teaching, special needs, hospital visits, etc.), but I enjoyed every bit of it. SLV will do the best they can to ensure that you feel comfortable and supported during the whole experience. You will never be alone in projects as there will be other volunteers and field officers with you. The coordinators are very helpful and organised; they do whatever they can to help you get settled in and adjusted to living in this foreign country. There is indeed a language barrier but I found that by making an effort to learn a little Sinhala, people tend to respond to you more and interact/engage with you. Sri Lanka is a beautiful country (you get to see more of it on the weekends off!) and I cannot recommend this experience enough to anyone who is looking for a gratifying summer experience.
***** Wow, what an absolutely invaluable & eye-opening experience - a "once in a lifetime" one. If you have any hesitations about going for it...JUST DO IT. There aren't many other opportunities to be so immersed in a different culture from home-life to work-life. Thank you to Lucy & to all of the other SLV staff for making it happen :).
I had the most incredible summer in Sri Lanka that I will never forget! I did the special needs placements and enjoyed the diversity of opportunities I got to experience. I loved the teaching placements and was so sad to leave all the places I worked at for the last time. I felt that I was challenged but supported constantly by other volunteers, coordinators and project managers. I dedication that everyone had and the amazing families we stayed with made it feel like we were part of a huge family and an even huger community. Other than the volunteering, I love the fact that I got to experience such a gorgeous country, with beautiful people and can't wait to go back one day.
I had an incredible experience with SLV this summer. I volunteered on the 10 week placement but honestly wished I could've done 12! I have volunteered with other organisations abroad but SLV excels them in terms of support, hands-on experience, organisation, training and genuine impact on the community.

For those considering the psychology placement please do not be put off by the inclusion of teaching projects. Conducting training and presentations are a requirement within most assistant psychology job descriptions and is therefore a beneficial experience. But the teaching projects were my favourite by far and were so much fun!

The psychology placements are very independent, but you will gain more valuable experience applying your own skills and knowledge than aimlessly job-shadowing. You're free to exert your individuality as a practitioner and you learn new skills from the great skill mix within the team.

The placement is more cost-effective than you would think. The home stays are of a surprisingly good quality whilst not tarnishing the experience of living in a traditional Sri Lankan setting. The cost of living is so cheap in Sri Lanka that I spent less money (expenses inclusive) by taking part than staying in the UK and paying rent/bills/daily living costs - and I could not have spent every weekend on exotic beaches and playing with baby elephants in the UK!

I can't recommend this enough, you just can't imagine how much you'll enjoy it and as clique as it may sound you'll be a whole new person!
I could easily rate how SLV placements gave me the opportunity to practice therapeutic activities, go to great workshops and training, and gave me great experience for my CV and opportunities you would not be able to get in the UK. But that would not give the placement its' justice. The best part of the 10-week placement, for me, was being able to see the impact that consistent and constant support gave to particular service users and also the overall impact to the communities. If I was able to see that in my short time there, then it is quite unimaginable the impact that SLV has had in the past and will continue to have in the future. The most important thing for this placement is to have no expectations, because all western preconceptions will not be applicable to Sri Lanka.
I have volunteered for a number of overseas organisations and this experience has by far been the most valuable experience I have ever had. Not only
I have just came back from Sri Lanka and already massively missing it! Doing the mental health placement in Sri Lanka was the best decision I've ever made. When I first got out there for the first few days I was terrified but within a week it felt like home and the projects were so enjoyable and rewarding that I quickly forgot about the UK. Whilst I was out there I got the opportunity to become a coordinator, which was an amazing role to take on and I would recommend anyone going out to consider. I did the 10 week placement, which flew by and had I had the money to do so I would of extended! Anyone thinking of doing this placement do it, you will not regret it! life changing amazing experience!
I have just returned from my second amazing summer with SLV and would recommend their placements to anyone who wants to experience a new culture whilst making a huge difference to a great community. SLV is such a great organisation who ensures projects are sustainable which is so brilliant to see. The placements allow you to have such a varied experience with so many different projects to get involved with. If you're thinking of volunteering with them, stop thinking and just do it, it will be the best thing you ever do!!
Having volunteered abroad previously with other organisations I can honestly say that SLV are the best overseas volunteer company I have come across. The training you receive on arrival of your placement is very informative and thorough and the volunteer coordinators provide 24 hour support throughout your placement. Also the costs are the cheapest I have come across and you definitely get your monies worth, with your food and homestay costs covered in the fees. The placements are very varied and provide you with a range of skills and experiences such as teaching, working with young people and people with special needs. Living and working in the Sri Lankan community was great too, as I felt like I really got to understand Sri Lankan culture and customs.

I enjoyed my time volunteering with SLV so much that I returned as a Volunteer Coordinator last summer. Both roles have given me valuable experiences and have enhanced my CV dramatically. I would recommend SLV to everyone.
Volunteering with SLV was one of the best experiences of my life. Having the opportunity to live with a local family and work in all the various settings was incredible. The only things that would have made it slightly better would have been if id had more time to settle in before orientation (arrived late in the evening so no time to buy water bottles etc). I enjoyed working on all the projects and could see how SLV was having a positive change on all of them.
Such an organised program! The experience I got with SLV is one in a lifetime and the variety of work available to me has been extremely beneficial towards my future career!
Great experience and met so many great people at the projects, local volunteers and international volunteers. Very beautiful country and this programme allowed the opportunity to explore it at the weekends. Had an absolutely amazing team in January and fantastic team leaders, that definitely worked out really really well for my house. Thank you all so much!

One thing is that it would have been nice to know a few more specifics before going, as the website was a bit vague and misleading. I didn't really understand the different options of mental health, clinical psychology and occupational therapy etc as it didn't seem to make any difference when we were there and that caused confusion between everyone.
I would recommend SLV and especially the psychology placement to anyone looking for an amazing experience both personally and for your CV. I did the psychology placement a year ago and had such a great 3 months and made so many amazing friends. The Sri Lankan's were so friendly and welcoming. My host family were absolutely amazing and I lived with loads of other volunteers which was really fun. Since finishing the placement, jobs I have applied for and suceeded in have been really interested in my experience in Sri Lanka. The placements themselves were varied, fun and challenging. I would definitely recommend doing SLV to anyone looking to enhance their CV and enjoy travelling a gorgeous country at the same time.
I did the Graduate Mental Health Placement for 3 months last year. While I was there I worked in the National Institute of Mental Health, which really opened my eyes to the ways in which mental health is viewed outside the UK. It gave me loads of hand-on experience of working in a mental health setting, and helped me get a job when I returned home. I have recommended SLV to many of my friends who have since ended up completing placements.
A truly amazing experinece, somthing that has changed me and my persepctive, experience you can not gain in uk opening many doors. well organised with a great team, now in have fallen in love with the country and working with a wider range of adults and disabilities. Waiting to come back.
I was in Sri Lanka for 4 weeks on the occupational therapy placement. Words cannot describe the experience you gain out there it's truly amazing! I would definately recommend anyone considering to go to go! You won't regret it and you meet some amazing people out there and make some amazing memories!!
My time as a volunteer and coordinator within SLV was priceless. I would not have been able to attain my current job two weeks after my return from Sri Lanka if it was not for the invaluable experience across many different things. I have grown in confidence not only in my teaching abilities but in my ability to deal with people in sometimes difficult situations. I loved working with those who had either a mental illness or a disability, it made me realise I wanted to pursue a teaching career which involved those who may be disabled or have additional needs. It also allowed me to immerse myself in a culture which has helped me cultivate a more informed world view and I have made life long friends as I have done so. The SLV staff are all utterly fantastic, both UK and Sri Lankan Project Managers. I honestly could not have continued throughout doing things to as high a standard as I could if it wasn't for the staff reassuring me I was doing a good job and being there any time you needed them. I would advise anyone to do this, whether they are in uni or have been out of uni for a couple of years as I had. It is wonderful. Thank you SLV for giving me this experience.
Working as a Volunteer Coordinator for SLV for 3 months in Summer 2014 was one of the best experiences of my life. The projects were demanding but extremely rewarding - as a team of volunteers I really felt like we were making a difference. I felt like I got great experience of what it is like to work at a grassroots level for a growing international charity and gained a variety of skills throughout my time there.
SLV is a friendly and approachable organisation. They really care about volunteer experience and project impact.
Placements are varied and are tailored to what kind of work you would like to be doing - whether it be teaching, working at centres for those with additional needs, working at the National Institute for Mental Health or coaching sports.
It will be an unforgettable experience living and working on really beneficial projects in a beautiful country! You'd be mad to miss this opportunity!
Last summer I had the most amazing oppertunity to go work on the teaching placement in Sri Lanka for a couple if months! My time out down as both a volunteer and a co-ordinator was INCREDIABLE to say the least. The projects were so rewarding and I felt like I really got to know the students and young people I worked with! The teams I worked with were full of energy and delivering lessons, traveling and relaxing with them made up some of the best parts! The project managers are very supportive and really care about the people who volunteer with them and constantly strived to provide the best placements for them quickly patching up any problems that came about!

Staying with a family out there felt like the best way to explore
And lean about the culture. It was not awkard at all as the family wanted us to get involved and the children were keen to sit with us and chat away!

Sri Lanka itself is a beautiful country! And I am planning to go back again when I have the time to finish off traveling!

The organisation is extremely well run and cheap compared to other places I looked at. The 24/7 support you recieve and the genuine desire to make sure your placement a fantastic experience is obvious!

I would definitly recommend going out with SLV you will
Meet some amazing people and get to visit a beautiful place!
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with SLV. They are a friendly and encouraging group of people and the projects run all year round. I stayed with a family which enabled me to experience the daily life of Sri Lankan culture. As well as OT I taught English, which I have never done before but with good lesson planning and ideas from workshops I found this was not scary at all and actually went really well! The projects are varied and there is a lot of travelling on crowded buses....a real taste of Sri Lankan life! And with weekends off I was able to see so much of a beautiful country. The coordinators were approachable and any issues were resolved quickly. Well done SLV and thank you very much!
SLV.Global is rated 4.58 based on 180 reviews