SLV.Global Reviews

95% of reviewers recommend SLV.Global

Tell us how SLV.Global made you happy

Telephone
"I volunteered in the 4th July placement 2016 and would never look back. Not only did I learn and develop so many new skills including team work, presenting, taking the initiative, project management and planning and resources, I made life long friends in which I've since had reunions with people from all over the world - from England, Ireland, wales Singapore and America! The experience I gained is so valuable and rewarding, and to have shared this experience with such amazing, like-minded people is very special. Thanks SLV for an incredible experience!!!!"
Hi Sioned, thank you so much for your fantastic review! We absolutely loved having you on the team last July and are so pleased to hear that you learned and developed so many new skills and made such strong friendships. We would be delighted to have you on the team again and wish you the best with your future plans. Please let us know if we can ever help you with anything :)
"I attended the 1 week placement in India in July, and it was an incredible experience! Learning about mental health practices in India, and how they differ from the U.S. was valuable, and I know I can use the information in my career as a future MFT. Everyone we met was so kind and happy to show us their culture. Manju, Sri, and Yasintha were wonderful guides who catered the trip to what we were interested in experiencing. They were knowledgable, kind, and welcoming from start to finish. This experience was amazing, and I highly recommend it to anyone considering applying!"
Hi Chelsea, thank you so much again for your lovely review! Please let us know if we can ever help you with anything in the future :)
"I attended the 1 week placement in India in July, and it was an incredible experience! Learning about mental health practices in India, and how they differ from the U.S. was valuable, and I know I can use the information in my career as a future MFT. Everyone we met was so kind and happy to show us their culture. Manju, Sri, and Yasintha were wonderful guides! This experience was amazing, and I highly recommend it to anyone considering applying!"
Thanks for the lovely review, Chelsea! We are happy to hear that you were able to gain so much from the experience. Please keep in touch and best of luck for the future!
"Spending five weeks in Sri Lanka was the most incredible decision I have ever made. Like how a lot of people said, you gain/improve so many skills that can help you either in the mental health field or in other areas. This placement was challenging in a good way to force myself out of my comfort zone. I made so many friends from other countries and we all enjoyed getting to know one another. The weekends are INCREDIBLE!! Oh, I could write pages about the weekends are how wonderful it is to explore the beautiful island. The projects can be very difficult at times, but it is good to have the variety that SLV provides. I wish that there was more psychology field trips and workshops, but I understand that there is a shortage of mental health workers in the field. All in all, I do not regret this incredible summer at all."
Hi Emily, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of our placement in Sri Lanka. We loved having you on the team and are glad to hear that you have no regrets. Please keep in touch and we wish you all the best for the future.
"SLV was the greatest decision of my life. The culture, people, and staff were amazing and made my 5 weeks truly incredible. I would recommend this program to anyone looking to challenge themselves in their Psychology field and wanting to dedicate their time to improving positive mental health."
Thank you so much for lovely review, Payton! We enjoyed having you in the team. Please keep in touch and best of luck for the future.
"I got the chance to make friends for life, got to experience Balinese culture and also got to have a positive impact in some Service Users Lives."
Hi Ellie, thanks for the review. It's great to hear that you were able to build these close relationships as well as feel like you could make a difference. We really appreciate all of your efforts. Please keep in touch and best of luck for the future.
"My experience on the Clinical and Ancient psychology program in India was phenomenal. The coordinators - Yasintha, Manju and Sri - were fantastic, so helpful and caring. Learnt a huge amount surrounding cultural differences in treating mental health, yoga, mindfulness and meditation however wished there would have been more hands on experiences, especially within Clinical Psych areas. SLV managed to fit in so much within such a short space of time however I wish the course had been longer, there's so much more to explore! I thought the whole week was well organised and the coordinators catered to everyone's needs. So happy I chose to join this SLV trip as it was a great experience. Thanks guys!"
Thank you so much for such an amazing review Beth! We loved having you on the India team and we wish you lots of luck for the future. Please do keep in touch! :)
"I had such an amazing time I wish I was back there in Sri Lanka. Experiences I could never have had at home and I've made life long friends."
Hi there, thank you so much for your lovely review and gorgeous photograph! We're so pleased to hear that you had such a fantastic experience with us in Sri Lanka. Please let us know if we can help you with anything in the future and do stay in touch!
"It was a great opportunity that involved a variety of placements. The staff, community and other volunteers were all very supportive and welcoming, it was incredibly easy to make friends. However, it was different than what I expected and found it quite different to how I had imagined it."
Hey Danielle! Thank you so much for the review :) It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your placement with us in Sri Lanka last year! We are currently in the process of looking at our pre-depature info to ensure we provide a good picture of what volunteers should expect in country, so this feedback is extremely helpful to us! Thanks again, but best of luck for the future and we would be delighted to have you involved with SLV.Global again if your commitments allow! :)
"I absolutely loved working at the different Projects in Sri Lanka. It could be qite demanding sometimes, but the nationals and SLV were really supportive and helpful. I learned a lot while working with so many different People with different abilities. But of Course it wasn't all about working, there was so much else to discover in Sri Lanka together with the other lovely volunteers."
Hi Mara, thank you so much for your fantastic review! :) you were a wonderful addition to the January 2017 team and we wish you the best of luck for the future - keep in touch!
"Joining the SLV team in Bali was probably one of the most exciting experiences. The team out there really took time in picking the right activities for us to have a good time. Staff members were very supportive throughout the placement."
Thank you so much for your lovely review! :) we're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us in Bali and that you found the experience so exciting! Best of luck for the future and please do keep in touch.
"I attended the week long placement in India. Yasintha, Manju and Sri were great coordinators ensuring everyone was enjoying their time and getting to truly experience India. I learnt a lot about the different culture and how that influences mental health treatments, whilst also getting to meet and hang out with a great bunch of people. Will be recommending the trip to my Psychology friends in Australia :)"
Hi Sam, thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! You were a fantastic asset to the India team and we're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your week with us and learnt lots about mental health in a different culture! Please let us know if we can ever help you with anything at all. Best of luck for the future!
"I don't regret this experience one bit. I enjoyed my time and had a lot of fun and met a lot of amazing people. However, Something to think about is there are a lot of hidden costs and you get promised things that aren't necessarily true. Although I loved the work I did, it was not what I signed up for. Did not feel like I was doing psychology at all, it's more of an education placement then mental health."
It's great to hear that you had such a fun experience. We always try to be as open as we can when it comes to fees and costs involved in our placements, but you are right, we aren't able to give people an exact amount of what they will spend, as it is really up to the individual. With regards to the placement timetable, all of our projects have a mental health focus and we firmly believe that reducing stigma is a huge part of our role where we work. We want to give psychology students and graduates a multi-faceted experience, as many individuals find the work at the hospital challenging and we want our focus to be on mental health not mental illness. Of course we understand your perspective, though and are grateful for your insight. There is loads more info on the link below which discusses the long term benefits associated with the work we do in more detail. I hope this helps but please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future. Thanks! :) https://slv.global/blog/psychological-benefits-of-group-work
"The experience was very good. I did feel that there was hardly any diversity amongst volunteers. I feel greater efforts need to be made to include and reach out to volunteers in more universities, especially volunteers that are have more diversity in age and ethnicity."
Thank you so much for your feedback on your time in Sri Lanka! It's great to hear that your overall experience was positive. We are constantly striving to reach out to more students, graduates and universities as a whole; especially internationally. Many of our volunteers do come from UK universities as the UK is where SLV.Global is based, and where we started. We're always looking to spread the word and would love your help if you have any ideas about how we might be able to reach more people! Thanks again for the feedback and we are more than happy to help you with anything you need from us in the future. Thanks :D
"It was an exciting adventure that I got to take part in. I loved being able to live with an actual Sri Lankan family and experience their daily lives and food"
Hi there, thank you so much for your review :) we loved reading that you found the placement so exciting and that you enjoyed immersing yourself in the Sri Lankan culture! Please keep in touch and best of luck for the future.
"Thoroughly enjoyed working on projects however there were A LOT of costs that weren't accounted for, considering we paid £1400 not including flights and insurance etc I don't feel like I got my monies worth at all. We were also treated like children quite a lot, felt very much like a school trip."
Thank you for writing us a review of your placement in Sri Lanka. We do try and be as transparent as possible with the fees that are involved in the placements. As much as we would love to have all our volunteers on the placements at no cost, the fees do go towards the homestay families, training, 24/7 in-country support and all pre-departure support from the London office too. All of this information is available on our website. Our priority is volunteer safety, but we understand if you felt the placement had too much structure. We're really grateful for your commitment to the team and are always happy to discuss anything further with you, but I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do. Thanks!
"I greatly enjoyed my time in Bali. The team was a lot of fun and the other volunteers became friends that I'll cherish for life. The projects had a big impact on how I see the world and the weekends were amazing. I also really liked my homestay family, but my homestay was much more cramped and outdated compared to larger homestays. While I initially thought the placement fee was a good deal, everything in Bali was so cheap that I wonder where our money actually went. I would've liked to see a print out explaining where the money goes. Also, I felt that the placement stressed clinical psychology pre-departure but focused more on education during the actual time we were there. As an educational studies minor, I enjoyed this, but wished the placement was more honestly described in pre-departure. Many of the other volunteers had no interest in education and felt a bit mislead by our pre-departure information. Overall, I would recommend the Bali placement with SLV, but with some reservation. I would tell people who are looking for a true clinical psych experience to keep looking. But if you're interested in an immersive placement experiences that focuses on improving mental wellbeing, take a chance on SLV."
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us about your placement in Bali, Ally! It's great to hear how much you enjoyed getting to know the other volunteers, homestay families, and the projects out there. Of course you are right about differences in homestays and although we try to standardise as much as we can they are all real homes of local community members, so naturally they will all vary in size and layout.

As far as our placement content, we don't promise a clinical psychology placement, but a mental health placement. I'm pleased you highlighted that the work you and your fellow teammates did was rooted in trying to improve the mental well-being of the service users we work with, as that's our aim and the most important thing to us. Thank you so much for your feedback, as it will help us to further improve our placements. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you wish to discuss anything further, or if there is anything we can do for you. All the best :D
"The two months I spent in Sri Lanka were incredible. My home stay was wonderful, all the people were lovely and the food was delicious, I still have vegetable roti cravings!! It was probably the most intense time of my life but the work was so fulfilling I woke up every morning excited for the day ahead. The weekends were the cherry on top of the cake, being able to explore such a beautiful country and experience some things I never thought I would. The best being scuba diving along side giant sea turtles! I would recommend this experience to anyone. It gave me such a confidence boost and inspired me to go into teaching which is something I never thought I would pursue. Thank you SLV!"
Hi Hannah, thank you so much for your fabulous review! :) We thoroughly enjoyed having you on the team last year and are so glad to hear that you have fond memories of your time on placement. Scuba diving with giant sea turtles sounds absolutely fantastic! Let us know if we can ever help you with anything and please keep in touch!
"Amazing opportunity that provided great experience while giving me the opportunity to travel and meet lovely people."
Thanks for sharing your experience! It was a pleasure to have you on the team. Please keep in touch and all the best for the future.
"Amazing opportunity with an incredible team. Yasintha, Manju and Sri were a great support and I had a wonderful time getting to know them as well as my fellow volunteers."
Thanks for sharing such a lovely review and picture, Hayley! We loved having you. Please keep in touch and all the best for the future.
SLV.Global is rated 4.64 based on 174 reviews