SLV.Global Reviews

96% of reviewers recommend SLV.Global

Tell us how SLV.Global made you happy

Maddalena
"I did a month of volunteering with the SLV global in Sri Lanka as mental health advanced placement. It was a unique, strong and intense experience. The team in Sri Lanka has been exceptional, everyone has a strong predisposition for this unique and splendid work. I worked and took part in various creative projects with volunteers and the team in Colombo, working with them and within the psychiatric ward was great. After this my professional and personal experience, something has changed within me and in my life. A month of emotions, a month of relationships, of hugs, of solidarity, of smiles. A unique experience absolutely to be redone. Thanks Slv global for this great opportunity."
Molly
"My experience as part of the 4th July team in Bali last year was invaluable. Not only did I learn so much about mental health, special needs and how to plan and deliver projects but I was completely submerged into a beautiful culture and welcomed into a community and family with open arms and the warmest of smiles. The people I met and the experiences I encountered I will truly never forget. The four weeks were great for opening my eyes to which aspects I do and do not enjoy about working within mental health and special needs, and this has been invaluable in my decisions for my future career plans! The SLVGlobal team were nothing but supportive and helpful and have continued to be since my time with them last year."
Sioned R
"I volunteered in the 4th July placement 2016 and would never look back. Not only did I learn and develop so many new skills including team work, presenting, taking the initiative, project management and planning and resources, I made life long friends in which I've since had reunions with people from all over the world - from England, Ireland, wales Singapore and America! The experience I gained is so valuable and rewarding, and to have shared this experience with such amazing, like-minded people is very special. Thanks SLV for an incredible experience!!!!"
"The most life changing cultural and rewarding experience having the opportunity to work within an amazing team and in a field thaI I am most passionate upon. I did not realize how powerful non-verbal communication is until I joined the SLV.Global in Bali with the language barrier and the individuals who have severe mental health issues or hearing impairment; this is one of the valuable skills that I have developed for my future career in mental health A lot of the team had graduated or were graduating in psychology however this placement is beneficial for all areas working within mental health or individuals with learning disabilities. The weeks were occasionally challlenging, yet it was definitely worth every minute of it by making that small yet significant differnce on the individual and I would do it 100 times over if I could. SLV.Global were very supportive during the four weeks and I cannot thank them enough for the inspiring cultural experience outside of the westernised world. Not only has this developed my skills for my career yet I have gained amazing friends and memories that will last a life time!"
Thank you for writing a review, Sioned! We loved having you on the team in Bali and we are so glad you enjoyed your time. It's great to hear you gained valuable experience from your placement and that you felt supported by the team. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
"My SLV.Global Bali placement 2018 was a once in a lifetime opportunity that gave me experience I couldn't get anywhere else. I worked with a whole range of people with varying mental illness, beliefs and that spoke a different language, so I gained many skills, such a advanced communicative skills. I learnt how to plan amazing activities and work in a team. I had fun and met lots of new people and got the weekends to enjoy some time experiencing Bali culture!"
Thank you for writing such a lovely review, Ellie! It's lovely to hear that you had a good time in Bali and that you appreciated the variety of projects available on placement. We loved having you on the team and would love to have you back! Best of luck with everything.
"I travelled to Sri Lanka will SLV Global in the summer on the 5 weeks advance placement. Before I left for Sri Lanka the SLV Global portal made preparing for the trip feel stress free. They gave me a check list of the things I needed to organise (e.g. visa, injections) and take with me. When I got to Sri Lanka I was met at the airport and taken to my homestay. The homestay family was very welcoming and I felt part of the family. The first week of the trip I was given training on how to behave at the projects and an insight into mental health in Sri Lanka. Projects included a psychiatric hospital wards, special needs centres / schools, teaching english, residential homes .... During my trip I shadowed a psychiatrist and we went to visit his patients in their homes. The projects equipped me with the skills I will need to become a clinical psychologist; how to run group activities with service users, what activities ate most effective for different types of service users, communication skills, team working skills and confidence. During the weekend we were able to travel around Sri Lanka and be a tourist. On the weekends we visited Sigaria, Galle, Ella and Kandy which were all beautiful. I would recommend this work experience opportunity as the skills it offers you to develop will stand you apart from other people looking for a career in psychology."
Thank you for writing such a lovely review, Alicia! It's lovely to hear that you had a good time in Sri Lanka and that you felt supported by the team before and during your placement. We loved having you on the team and would love to have you back! Best of luck with everything.
"SLV.Global welcomed me to a culture I was unfamiliar with, with open arms and acceptance. I was able to learn about what I am most passionate about which is mental health in the context that wasn’t taught to me in university. My experience was fun yet educational and well organized; definetly worth the money."
Thank you for writing a review, Journee! We're so glad you enjoyed your time in India and that you appreciated the cultural immersion that came with the placement. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
"Above expectations of the placement and of India. Highly recommend to anyone considering it. Great workshops, people and places."
Thanks so much for your review, Annabelle! We're so glad you enjoyed your time in India with us, you were a great member of the team! We'd love to have you back so please do keep in touch. We wish you all the best for the future :)
Thank you for writing a review, Annabelle! We loved having you on the team and we're so glad you enjoyed your time. Best of luck with everything, please keep in touch!
Hi Maddalena, thank you so much for your review! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your time on placement, learning both professionally and personally. You were a fab part of the team and we are so happy to have you as an SLV.Global Ambassador! Thanks again 😊
"SLV changed my whole outlook on life. Every activity and lesson brought me great joy and the people of Bali I will never forget."
Hi Jenna, that's amazing to hear! We appreciate all of the hard work and enthusiasm that you put into each session during your time in Bali, and we would love to have you back :) Keep in touch!
"To say that SLV's psychology graduate placement was a life changing experience for is most certainly , a great understatement. The activities were challenging yet valuable. The SLV team and volunteers are a great bunch of people to work with. So much fun but more than that , this placement will not dissapoint you. Loved every moment. And I look forward to going back again soon."
Hi Sarah, thank for this!! Lovely to hear that you had such a great time with us :) We loved having you on the team and we want to thank you for all of your hard work. Please keep in touch with us, and best of luck with the future!
"Amazing opportunity to gain cross-cultural psychology experience and learn to discuss mental health from a different perspective. It was evident to see the positive impact SLV has on the Sri Lankan community!"
Thank you so much for your lovely review! It's fantastic to hear you gained from your time in Sri Lanka and were able to witness the impact we aim make on the community. We greatly appreciate your hard work while on placement and we wish you best of luck for the future. Please do keep in touch!
"SLV made a once in a lifetime opportunity possible. I loved every minute of my trip and exploring another culture. The team were approachable and accommodating and the speakers were inspiring. An invaluable experience."
Thank you so much for your lovely review, Jenny. It's so great to hear you enjoyed your time on the Clinical and Ancient Psychology Program in India and that you found the speakers inspiring. We loved having you on the team! Best of luck for the future, please keep in touch :)
"I really enjoyed my experience in Sri Lanka. I met and worked with some amazing people and got to do things I wouldn't normally get to do which was a lot of fun. It was also amazing having the weekends to explore a beautiful country, and we are able to learn a lot about the culture as we were completely immersed in it. However I do feel like it was a bit expensive. We paid a lot of money, then were constantly asked for money for extra things when we were there, e.g. paying for minibuses. I also feel like it would be beneficial to have more informative things, like the field trips, as I feel like I did a lot of arts and crafts, which I loved doing and so did the service users, but I would like to learn more about the theoretical side of things as well as actually doing them."
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback, Sarah! We're glad you enjoyed the projects as well as the travelling at the weekend. We appreciate volunteering abroad can be a large financial commitment and we take your valued advice on board in the effort to provide more information to volunteers prior to the placement. We agree the field trips are educational and interesting for volunteers, however, it is not always possible to take part in multiple trips due to time constraints. We hugely admire your dedication and we're happy you joined us in Sri Lanka. Best of luck for the future, we are always here if you want to discuss these points further, or should you need anything at all. :)
"A once in a lifetime experience during which I learned invaluable skills."
Thank you for your lovely feedback, Nada. We loved having you on the team! Please keep in touch and best of luck with the future!
"I went to Sri Lanka for 5 weeks in 2015 and it was such an amazing experience. Learning about mental health issues at university and then seeing them applied in real life in Sri Lanka was so beneficial. It was interesting and sad to see the stigma that remains over there, but made what we was doing even more rewarding. Would definitely recommend this"
Thanks so much for your comprehensive feedback, Olivia! You were a fantastic part of the team back in 2015. Please keep in touch and best of luck with the future!
"Meeting other psychology students at different stages of their degree was definitely invaluable to share ideas about our future!"
Thanks for your feedback, Alkistis! It was great having you on the team. Please keep in touch and best of luck with the future!
"Taking part in SLV has been the most rewarding experience I have done yet. The organisation is full of the most supportive people and they made me feel welcomed and at home. Not only did I gain practical experience, but I was educated about the stigma and issues around mental health in Sri Lanka by their knowledgable staff and for this, the psychology conference was particularly useful and insightful"
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Rebecca! We loved having you on the team. Please keep in touch and best of luck with the future!
"My time with SLV.Global was an invaluable experience. My time in Sri Lanka was rewarding and eye opening. It made me even more enthusiastic to pursue a career in clinical psychology. SLV is an excellent organisation, with support from my initial application right through the end of my placement. Being able to interact with service users whilst also being exposed to the culture and exploring Sri Lanka at the weekends was amazing. I met some amazing people along the way and would highly recommend this placement to anyone interested in mental health. An expectional, unforgettable experience!"
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback, Maddie! You were a fantastic part of the team in Sri Lanka. Best of luck with clinical psychology and please keep in touch!
"I originally went to Sri Lanka with an open mind excited and scared about the journey I was taking but I was supported and guided the entire way through my journey and found it to be so fantastic and inspiring, I loved every step of the way and have walked away wanting to return but also such a stronger and enthused by the work provided and the team I was involved in. I am so happy I had the opportunity to do this and feel so lucky to have been given this fantastic opportunity."
Hi Sam, thank you so much for your lovely review and for sharing your experience with us. We're so glad you enjoyed your time in Sri Lanka, you were a fantastic part of the team. Best of luck with the future and please keep in touch!
"It seems a lot of folks go into an SLV placement with certain expectations and preconceptions about what their time there will look like. I can say that during my three month stay I saw these expectations shattered in ways that left volunteers both delighted and dismayed. It's certainly not all sunshine and rainbows, and as with anything else SLV is not for everyone. There is a level of unpredictability that can weigh on some, though once I accepted it and learned to roll with it, I found it to be a satisfying challenge to engage with. I was initially drawn to SLV because of their dedication to conscious mental health and cultural awareness and competency. The way they open the door for you to learn from, engage with, and respect another culture is an invaluable opportunity. Throw yourself into the work, be mindful of why you are there--why you are choosing to go, and you will have an experience like none other. The people you meet will change your life. The work you do will make an impact, even if you don't think you see it in the moment."
Hi Sam, Thank you for sharing your experience of our placement and yes you are right! Our placements can be challenging and we need volunteers to remain flexible and able to adapt to changes, which we appreciate can be difficult. We are really pleased that you have found this a rewarding experience, and a great way to gain experience too. You were a great member of our team and we would love to have you back on one out teams in the future! We wish you the best of luck for the future and please do keep in touch!
"While there were some hiccups along the way, the staff was willing to problem solve and listen. I was MUCH older than most of the people who went (seriously like 10 years+ ....I didn't know this before leaving), and I dont know if I would have done it had I known that before I took flight. Having said that, it was truly a life-changing experience and I would highly recommend. If I wasn't so damn old (haha) I would be going to Bali too."
Hi Allison, Thank you so much for your review - it is lovely to hear about your time with us in Sri Lanka! We welcome volunteers of all ages, over 18 years old, so we do appreciate your feedback regarding the potential age gap you experienced as the ages of our volunteers can vary. We are very glad you had a great experience with us despite this and you were an amazing asset to the team in Sri Lanka! We have had volunteers join us in the past. We wish you the best of luck for the future and please keep in touch :)
"I completed an eight week mental health placement beginning in December 2016 in Sri Lanka and had a great, experience-full time! The work was always both challenging and rewarding, though I think this can be tipped toward the rewarding side with preparation and enthusiasm. In spite of all the preparation in the world, sometimes plans just won’t work out, so some adaptability is definitely required. But, it was often those not-to-plan sessions that were the most memorable in my experience. Over each week there was a good amount of variety in the schedule, though projects can become a little repetitive if the plans for them are too. The workshops in particular I found to be a really insightful and enjoyable way to diversify the days. I also had some health issues whilst over there and SLV provided incredible support and assistance through that, making a difficult situation much less difficult. I’d definitely recommend SLV to anyone looking to gain some mental health experience, to explore a beautiful country and it's culture (from an interesting, internal perspective too!), as well as getting to know some amazing people along the way, which for me all contributed to an enjoyable and very memorable time."
Hi Kalim, thank you for sharing your experiences with us, it was lovely to read. You were a fab part of the team! We wish you all the best for the future and please keep in touch :)
SLV.Global is rated 4.67 based on 168 reviews