Shepherds Friendly Reviews

of reviewers recommend Shepherds Friendly
Read Shepherds Friendly Reviews

About Shepherds Friendly:

Shepherds Friendly is one of the oldest financial mutuals in the world, with 190 years’ experience in providing families with financial security.

info@shepherds.co.uk

Haw Bank House,High Street,Cheadle,Cheshire

Tell us how Shepherds Friendly made you happy
Policy set up and ran smoothly for first year. Had 5 years without a single day off but got really ill in February so made first claim for 5 weeks. In October had an issue with my knee. As soon as they realised a lengthy claim was coming started digging as deep as possible through my situation to find away out of paying by manipulating the fact I was self employed and had other family members working with me but not employed by me. End result rejected my claim, forced to work injured and closed the policy. If there is any way out of paying they will find it. Make sure everything is water tight and you have everything to back it up especially if you run your own business. Could have easily made a part payment as I could clearly prove my own loss of wages. Most likely end up as a long drawn out court case which non of us have the time or energy for.
Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and bringing your recent experience to our attention. Should you wish to discuss your review with us in further details, please get in touch with our Member Services Team on 0161 428 1212 or by sending them an email on members@shepherdsfriendly.co.uk

Libbi
Avoid at all costs! My mother who is 61 took out a policy for income protection - She claimed a year after the policy was taken out as she is not well. They honoured the claim for 3 months then just stopped. They have no grounds to stop paying, they are using clauses which are not applicable. my mother was fit and working when the policy was taken out - and has proof! They are claiming she was not- with NO proof and will not take into accounts and proof! She paid for a-policy she can not claim from and now left in a place where she cannot take out another policy as she is unable to work! I am taking this to the authorities! Very unfair!
Do not use this company for income protection under any circumstances! This company has left my family destitute. We now face being made homeless! Stay well clear! Utterly disgusting the way they have acted!
Hello Nicola,

Thank you for getting in touch. I would like to help with the feedback you have provided us but I will need some more details to locate your plan with us. To provide this please get in touch with our Member Services Team on 0161 428 1212 or by email at info@shepherdsfriendly.co.uk.

Many thanks,
Libbi
This company will charge you 10/20% or what ever they feel at the time for withdrawing your money and blame it on covid. Thieves... You’ve been warned!!!
Hello, thank you for leaving us a review. I just want to address your point to provide some context about the current situation.

The spread of COVID-19 has had a significant impact on financial markets worldwide. All investments carry some level of risk, and during periods of uncertain and challenging economic conditions, they may lose value. For this reason, you should always view investing with a medium to long-term outlook of five years or more.

While we understand that some members need access to their money now, and empathise with their situation, we also need to provide protection for our members who are remaining invested in the fund. To do this we apply a Market Value Reduction (MVR), which ensures that when members withdraw during adverse market conditions, they do not leave with more than their fair share of the assets. You can find out more about MVRs in your plan terms and conditions or by contacting our Member Services Team. Historically, this is not something that has been common, and is not a decision that has been taken lightly. However, we do find ourselves in an unprecedented situation, and this is necessary to protect all our members who have money invested with us.

Please do get in touch if you would like to discuss this further. Our Member Services Team are available on 0800 526 249 or at members@shepherdsfriendly.co.uk.
They won’t pay at all worst company Iv ever been insured with. NOT NOT USE
Hi Symon,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and letting us know about your recent experience. Should you wish to further discuss your review with us, please get in touch with our Member Services team on 0161 428 1212 or by email on members@shepherdsfriendly.co.uk

Lyba
I have taken out a life insurance but to date I have not received any paperwork with account number etc, The only reason I know I was excepted was due to my bank informing me of the standing order. Very poor start by Shepherds Friendly. Hopefully I will receive the required paperwork in the foreseeable future,
Shocking.
Opened a plan assuming I could pay into it immediately. Not the case!
Apparently you need to wait for an email confirming the plan is open.
OK they have to do some checking, but 2 weeks later still no email.
The ONLY contact I've had is an email asking me to rate their service!
Well....I just have.

UPDATE: Having clicked through the email and written the review above, I posted it using the "Submit as Anonymous" button .... note it says anonymous. A couple of hours later I received a call from Shepherds Friendly... "About the review you just left concerning our service..." What!!! Which bit of "Submit as Anonymous" am I misunderstanding? The caller, pleasant as she was, then suggested that I might like to make a payment there and then. Errr....let me think about that for while whilst I consider the trust issues raised here.

I'm now promised a email which will address my "concerns".
Looking forwarded to that one!
Awful website. I think a school child could have done better. No visibility on investment and the login logout is terrible. I am looking to move my investment to an upto date business.
Hello,
Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with our new website. We have been working hard to fix any errors you encountered and I am pleased to let you know they have now been resolved. If you would like to discuss this matter or anything else further, you can contact our Member Services team on 0800 526 249 or via email at members@shepherdsfriendly.co.uk.
Kind Regards,

Aidan
Easy to set up and create direct deposit to their account. but as soon as you claim they disappear and ignore you and no answer what so ever...
Hello Linas,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. We’re currently receiving an increase in enquiries it may take our Claims Team 3-5 working days to respond, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

We would like to support you with the feedback you have provided and address any concerns you might have. If you would like to speak about this, please contact our Member Services team on 0800 526 249 or by email on members@shepherdsfriendly.co.uk and they’ll be happy to help.

Lyba
My name is Calvin hanson.

I took My income protection policy out and Unfortunately had an injury at work and had to claim.

It took them over two months to come up with a decision But where I live pay cheque to pay check I could afford the second month

So they declined my case because I’ve missed a payment even though I said I would clear the payment the contract wasn’t cancelled or anything and they wouldn’t let me reopen another case .

The whole reason of taking out income protection is if anything happened to me it would pay out every month so I could pay my bills.

Unfortunately I cannot add a picture of the letter they sent to me but I will try to do it on Google reviews
Hi Calvin,

Thank you for your feedback. Due to nature of the claim process containing sensitive information, I have sent you a private message with further details and to help address your concerns.

Should you wish to further discuss the feedback that you have provided, please feel free to get in touch with our Member Services team on 0161 428 1212.

Lyba
I have been paying for accident/sickness cover for a number of years. I’m trying to claim sickness cover due to a broken ankle. The coronavirus has made reaching anyone by phone impossible. Doing email correspondence only. Instead of asking for all the paperwork they want to see in one go, even though I’ve provided ample, I get an email every 5/6 days asking to see something else. I am so annoyed, I’ve been paying my premium for years. Even though I’ve provided my mobile and landline numbers I have had no phone call. Really do your homework before taking out this kind of cover and see how long you have to wait until you finally get a payment from Shepherds Friendly or any other company. This is the first time I have made a claim and for a straight forward claim, there’s been a lot of delay tactics!!!
Hello,

Thank you for leaving us a review. Due to the current situation our team is working remotely and so it may take a bit longer than usual for us to get back, we appreciate your patience and understanding. Someone from our claims team will be in touch with you today to help give you an update on your claim.

In the meantime if you have any further questions or there’s anything else we can help with, please get in touch with our Member Services team by email on members@shepherdsfriendly.co.uk or over the phone on 0161 428 1212.

Lyba
Extremely easy to use website which contained top tips!
Paid £1800 in premiums in 2 year's income protection.waited 7 WEEKS only to be told not eligible for benefits due to fact l did not disclose blocked ears, sore knee,stiff neck,heart burn and l enjoy a drink which most people do
. AVOID THIS COMPANY
Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. Should you wish to further discuss the feedback that you have provided, please get in touch with our Member Services team on 0161 428 1212 or by email on members@shepherdsfriendly.co.uk

Lyba
Very easy and straightforward to set up and follow up courtesy call much appreciated.
I’d never thought about setting up a savings account for my children, until I found this website. It confirms all the things that I want for my kids when their older, having the reassurance that the money is going to be there and they’re the only ones that can receive it, makes me happy. They give me the excitement for the future for my children x
An east account to open very easy website to use and navigate through all parts of application form
Currently charging customers 20% to withdraw anything. Given how many people are struggling due to coronavirus and being furloughed, this is revolting and SF should be ashamed of this practice.
Hello, thank you for leaving us a review.

I just want to address your point to provide some context about the current situation. The spread of COVID-19 has had a significant impact on financial markets worldwide. All investments carry some level of risk, and during periods of uncertain and challenging economic conditions, they may lose value.

For this reason, you should always view investing with a medium to long-term outlook of five years or more. While we understand that some members need access to their money now, and empathise with their situation, we also need to provide protection for our members who are remaining invested in the fund. To do this we apply a Market Value Reduction (MVR), which ensures that when members withdraw during adverse market conditions, they do not leave with more than their fair share of the assets. You can find out more about MVRs in your plan terms and conditions or by contacting our Member Services Team.

Website account login is nowhere near good enough. Not having an app is not ideal but the user experience of logging in on a mobile device is poor. Page doesn’t load, no menu options, password input boxes labelled correctly...not good at all.
I have made 3 payments amounting to £75 and have not received my echo dot.
Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and letting us know about your recent experience. We would like to look into this for you as we don’t offer the Echo Dot when you open a plan with us. Please could I ask you to contact our Member Service team on 0161 428 1212 so they can help resolve this.

Lyba
I opened up an Over 50's plan. Absolutely no problem. About 10 days later I receive a phone call from WHAT I CAN ONLY DESCRIBE as THE MOST ARRGANT AND RUDE LITTLE NOBODY of a customer services representative saying there was an issue with my direct debit instructions. I was asked to repeat them which I did AND they were correct. I was then ASKED for proof that the account belonged to me in what I can only describe as the WORST POSSIBLE MANNER I've ever experienced. WHAT ANNOYED me most was when upon checking my online banking LO & BEHOLD the direct debit was set up. When I told her this she called me a liar. AVOID THIS COMPANY at all costs. There staff are HORRIBLE ARROGANT RUDE PEOPLE.
Hello,
Thank you for bringing your recent experience to our attention. Here at Shepherds Friendly we work hard to put our members at the heart of everything we do and always aim for a positive outcome when talking to our members. However, on this occasion it appears we have fallen short of your expectations, we apologise for this and I will look into this matter further.

Shepherds Friendly is rated 4.67 based on 2,403 reviews