Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care Reviews

of reviewers recommend Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care

About Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care:

Established in 1938, Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care is a family-owned and family-run business and today we have over 175 branches. As we continue to grow, we’ve made sure that our core focus has remained the same… “Providing our customers with excellent service and clinical excellence.” Our branch teams are trained to become customer champions, and we’re always working to improve the experience we offer.

Tell us how Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care made you happy
August 2019 purchased glasses, returned numerous times they were too strong magnifying preventing mw wearing them and the left arm blistered my ear continuosly. Was told I would get used to them. Later I had to return followi g an accident and drugs given which affected my eyes. First blinded then returning to very blurred vision due to gabberpentinoids I was told to visit the opticians. Optician not familliar with the drug I was told to have a new prescription, already had eyes tested and told not to be persauded to do this as my eyes were still changing I decli ed so making the optician irritated and the rest of the exami ation pai ful. The visual field test I was told to move my head i order to see thi gs as I could'nt move my eyes to the sides. Refused to gi e any written i formation to me and i sisted gab erpentine medication had no involveme t and that it was old age and anxiety. Months on I still have very blurred vision co 't reD , see faces, or myself i tbe mirror see anybody's face and everything arou d me is darker and very blurred. My eyes remain bloodshot and painful .Opticians should research drugs not say tbey have no affects when tbey are fou d to have ma y life cha ging ones. A customer who regrets ever going i to a scrivens shop
Hi Angela, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
I wasn’t very impressed with the whole experience as everyone apart from the experienced Optician were Quite cold and unfriendly. They charged me around £320.00 for the new lenses and fitting which was very expensive I thought and when I asked for a discount on the eye test which was £30 they just weren’t interested even though my bill was over £300 . They do not value your business at all and i will Not recommend them to anyone and will never come back to them next time .
Thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
I paid over the odds for two pairs of glasses which took almost two months to to obtain the second pair.This was no fault of the helpful staff in the branch but down to confusion at the head office apparently on the details of the order.
Hi John, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
When trying to book an appointment, the system went round in circles and I was unable to do so.
Hi Roger, thank you for your review. We’re sorry to read you had such a frustrating experience, but we really appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com, we will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
Useless. Won't answer their phone and impossible to book an appointment on their website
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to read you had such a frustrating experience, but we really appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com, we will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
I tuck my son Today to Scrivens corporation street Birmingham he wasn't asked to take a set the man just when in the back on twice to a just the frames we payed for his glasses and even if we didn't manner are everything
I'm down £450 and still waiting for my specs a month after ordering. I asked for my IPD so I could order cheap sunglasses online as I wasn't going to pay that price for sunglasses, but this information was refused, stating "we are not obliged to provide that". Wow. Terrific customer service right there.
Hi Steve, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
I have my eyes tested with Scrivens and the reading prescription just wasn't right for my, I had a second test with them again and I'm still having difficulty focusing on the reading. Hence, I had a another test at a different optiican and I was told that the reading prescription is not correct for my eyes also the fame is not the correct either. In this case I will be asking back for my money because the lenses wasn't cheap.
Hi Dorothy, thank you for posting your review. We’re sorry to read you had such a frustrating experience. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
Absolutely disgusting how you have treated my husband still waiting for glasses first pair lens’s fell out now can’t get second pair delivered just lies when they should be here But this on your web site
Hi Mrs Whittle, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
(A CLASSIC COMEDY OF ERRORS OR WHAT?) The following is no reflection whatsoever on the St Ives branch where Amanda and Ana have given the professional service that I have always received in the past in dealing with this matter for me. While gardening on May 6th, an insect or wasp flew onto the left side of my face, and I swiped it away but unfortunately I was wearing heavy gardening gloves which caught the frame of my glasses and knocked them off. They landed face down on the left side which broke the frame just below the left arm hinge. I attempted to repair the break with superglue but this joint failed after a couple of days. Fortunately I had my old driving glasses with the double vision correcting prism so was able to go out and when necessary drive. I tried to phone Scrivens in St Ives several times without getting through and when I tried to send a message on May 17th it failed but finally managed to successfully leave a message with head office on May 22nd. I then received a phone call from Scrivens' head office (?) asking me to send the broken glasses back in a prepaid pack, which was sent and eventually arrived on June 6th, and was posted back the same day. I received a phone call from Scrivens head office on June 11th to inform me that the broken frame was obsolete and they could not fit the existing lenses into a new frame. Consequently, I would need to go into Scrivens in St Ives and order a new pair of glasses. This was done the same day and arrangements were made for them to be sent to my home and they arrived on June 22nd. Because the glasses are specifically for distance requirements with the double vision correction built in I do not wear them around the house. I wore them when I went out on June 24th and realising that the arms needed to fit my head tighter took them back to Scrivens in St Ives on June 25th for them to be tightened. This was done and we noticed they needed cleaning because of some marks on the left lens and when Ana could not remove them we realised that the lenses were marked and she wanted to send them back. These were impact marks from landing heavily on the tarmac drive and so small that they could only be seen (by me) when looking at the front the front face of the lens as it caught the light. They were invisible when being worn as they are too close to my eye. I went back home, returning on June 26th wearing my temporary glasses for Scrivens, St Ives to send the new pair back for the left lens marks to be polished out. As I had heard nothing by July 21st I phoned Scrivens and after a long phone call Amanda had established that the company making the lenses had gone bankrupt and this was the reason for the delay in the left lens being replaced and it was confirmed that my new frames had the old lenses fitted into them. Nobody from anywhere in Scrivens at any time discussed or informed me that this was being done and as the marks on the left lens were so slight I only noticed them after they were cleaned (properly) by Ana. There was now a confused situation where we dido not know if I was getting my old lenses in a new frame or a completely new pair of glasses with new lenses for which I had paid £475.00, or possibly will end up with 2 pairs of glasses with one pair not needed. What is most disturbing in all of this is that I had to pay £475.00 for a new pair of glasses as “The old frame was obsolete and those lenses couldn’t be fitted into a new frame” and when the glasses arrived on June 22nd this is precisely what I received. The marks were so insignificant that no one appears to have noticed them until the glasses were cleaned at the St Ives branch. This is a serious matter as I had paid for something that I did not receive. If this had been made clear in the first instance that a new frame to take the existing lenses had been found it would only have cost me £70.00, not £470.00 on top of the £416.00 that I paid out in March 2019 for glasses that are a temporary requirement until I have 2 operations to correct my double vision later this year. It appears that there has been a total lack of communication between the Scrivens personnel and the lens manufacturer and no information whatsoever given to me and the St Ives branch on what had been done. It appears that these glasses may be a completely new pair as it begs the question of where are the pair that I received on June 22nd? Once more it appears that there is something seriously amiss with the management systems within Scrivens with no communication back to the customer and even less within the organisation, leading to me ordering and paying for a pair of lenses unnecessarily. I believe that this deserves a full refund for the (unnecessary) lenses as a minimum as Scrivens head office and laboratory cannot carry out a simple communication exercise between them. as well as compensation for the amount of my time wasted and travel incurred simply because Scrivens head office and laboratory cannot carry out a simple communication exercise between them.
Hi James, thank you for your review. We’re sorry to read you had such a frustrating experience. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
have just purchased new glasses and within 3 hours one lense fell out . During the night 10 hours later woke up and felt for them and both lenses fell out. Fortunately had my old set with me. On close inspection the screws were fully tightened so how can this happen, can only assume lenses machined too small for the frame. How could they be pushed back in very easily if frame is tight.How can this leave your workshop like this were is your QA, This not the first time that your work shop service has been at fault with my glasses over the years. Although we are living in difficult times I feel your company’s service to people who rely heavily on their eyes as been dreadfully. Opening hour and service could have been better managed.
Hi David, thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we’ll do better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with more information, we would love to make things right if you give us another chance.
Staff other than optometrist were lovely. Optometrist was vile
Fairly useless. Cannot get service at any branch, have to go back to original one that never answers a phone
Poor service all around, would avoid with a barge poll. Chasing refund of £640 hence having to engage with them.
Thank you for letting us know about this. Your feedback helps us get better. We will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
The worst! At 86, with many years of experience of hearing aid suppliers I can truthfully say that Scrivens are the worst. They took over my NHS care about 3 years ago. They supplied batteries of poor life and fiddly packaging in small quantities so re-ordering was too frequent. This year they thought my 5-year-old aids should be replaced, although they were still good. The relacements were excrutiatingly poor, with distortion so bad that I rejected them after24 hours. At the next appointment they were adjusted and I was sent away. They were no better, and still sit in my drawer. Then Covid-19 intefered. For 4 months their phone has been left to answer and it asks me to wait You know, "your call is important to us, etc". It's never answered; they must be raking in a fortune - and costing me one. Why isn't it turned off? Why don't we get an honest answer? I think you know why, as I do. I imagine they were the lowest bidders, but we deserve better. Stay away.
Hi Mike, thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we will do better. If you could give us another chance, we would love to make things right.
This v poor review is because although the website shows that the store is open it is in fact closed until further notice. Also the telephone answer system does not inform you that they are closed until further notice.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with details of the branch you tried to contact, we will look into this for you.
The NHS hearing aid used by Scrivens are not fit for purpose. As they constantly have white noise, and you hear background noise above the conversation you are trying to listen to. Also you are not trusted to operate the volume level you need, as it is fixed at a level by the technician who does not think at I am capable of using it sensibly. So I don not think the service is even good enough for the one star you are forced to rate it with.
Pay by direct debit monthly for contact lenses and they never arrive. Tried calling emailing, can never talk to anyone. Do not use this company.
My hearing stopped working emailed scrivens they rang me next day I told them the problem they said that they will send me some postage items to return it to them I asked how long would it take I was told about 2-3 weeks I told him how can I manage for that long without it I am deaf he replied sharply you will have to manage( I don’t think scrivens no the meaning of good service) i shall go back to specsavers
Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care is rated 4.55 based on 3,469 reviews