Real Gap Reviews

of reviewers recommend Real Gap
Email, Live Chat, Telephone
Read Real Gap Reviews

social@realgapexp.co.uk

Real Gap Experience, Top Floor, 121-123 Mount Pleasant Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent,

Tell us how Real Gap made you happy
Real Gap 5 star review on 23rd February 2021
Rory Watkinson
Alexandra Williams
My daughter has booked 2 holidays with this company. However she wanted to change the second holiday from five weeks to three weeks because she is going to struggle financially. It is not until end of January but they want to charge her £199 Pounds to change it. This is disgusting and probably to pay the agent commission- pure greed
Thank you for this feedback. One my colleagues has already been in touch with your daughter today directly about this matter and has resolved this issue with her. Due to a change of trip she was looking to do, and not a change of duration, this would have been a cancellation as the local team have already arranged parts of her trip. Despite this, we are really pleased to resolve this matter with her and find a solution that helps her with her travel plans. We hope this addresses your concerns but if you need further clarification please let us know.
I have just finished the 25 day Thai Experience and am continuing my travels through South East Asia. I have heard that Realgap dont allow bad reviews to be posted which explains how the trip rating is so high! Heres my list of pros and cons for the trip just to summarise:
Cons
- Dont expect much help if you get ill during the trip. The main thing that made me want to go on the trip was the safety net of the tour guide if something were to go wrong/if you were to get ill. At the start of the trip, I got an upper respiratory tract infection and was taken to a very dodgy looking pharmacy to pick up some antibiotics... I spoke with my family and doctor back home and decided to go to hospital to get antibiotics instead as I just did not feel comfortable with the pharmacy especially with the recent cases of medication spiking. I developed sickness and diarrhoea so initially didnt take the antiobiotics as it would have been pointless. During this time I was feeling extremely ill as I couldnt eat and the tour guide did not provide any advice on what to do/any help (i am aware they arent medically trained - not even the basics - but it was just ridiculous; the lack of understanding). I left the group for a bit to relax and recover (because if you get ill on this trip, the constant moving around makes you feel so much worse) however had to go to hospital to be put on an IV - at which point the tour guide left me on my own despite me crying due to my phobia of needles, as she ‘wanted her sleep and didnt like hospitals’...
-70% of the trip is spent on ferrys, busses, planes & taxis... when i originally booked the trip, the itinerary was different. It was a longer trip with more days in each location which was better! We would just get settled in a place and then boom 7am start, 8 hour ferry/coach to the next place. Bear in mind, after a day of travelling with a massive rucksack you are knackered and not up for much when you arrive at the destination so a lot of days were wasted...
-we found that a lot of the hotels are well out of the way. Especially in Koh Samui; theres a choice of two hotels and unfortunately for us, our tour guide picked the one that was in the middle of nowhere (and taxis on the island arent cheap!!!). Not only that, nearly all 21 people on our trip moved out of that hostel because they didnt feel safe after a big fight in the courtyard on the first morning, not to mention the music that plays until 2am so dont expect any sleep here either after the long journey.
-Bring more money than you think you need because a lot of the stuff isnt actually included. In terms of money, it would definitely be cheaper to do without an organisation.
-Our tour guide said she would help us navigate our way home after the trip... we waited for her after the ferry at the bus terminal to advise us on what to do, but after multiple calls and messages, she finally replied to say she had already left without saying goodbye.

Pros:
- Met some amazing people and made some lifelong friends.
- Most of the activities are pretty amazing!
-Some of the accomodations were really nice! Although that doesnt bother me too much as I will be backpacking in very cheap hostels for the majority of my travels.
-Thailand itself is an amazing place, my personal favourites were Koh Tao and Koh Phi Phi.
-You get to visit many different parts of Thailand which is amazing, would just be nicer if you could stay there longer inbetween the long days of travelling.
-In the hospital it was useful having someone who spoke Thai however I was not always informed of the conversations that had happened which was a bit frustrating.

Every experience will be different for each person but I can safely say that I was quite disappointed by the trip. But as I mentioned, im so grateful for the amazing friends i have made & the great experiences but i will not be using Real Gap again.
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your views with us.

I am sorry that you became ill whilst you were on your travels - we've all be there, and I know it's not fun to feel sick when you're away. We were aware of your health issues whilst on the trip and as you know were were in touch with both you and the guide whilst you were ill to make sure that you were okay, and to offer any support we could.

Thailand is a big country and therefore does involve some long journeys. This is a fast paced, action packed trip designed to fit in all the highlights, however we take your feedback on board about there being some long days in the itinerary.

Whilst we do usually get excellent feedback about our guides, I'm sorry that your guide did not meet expectations on this occasion. We have passed on your comments to the local team for review.

I'm really pleased that there were also many positive aspects of your trip, and that you loved experiencing the different parts of Thailand and the activities on this trip.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.
Vietnam experience-
Arrived and told we were no longer with real gap and now bamboo. This hadn't been mentioned before.
Accommodation was extremely poor considering how much money we paid. Woke up with bed bugs and a few of us were ill which I'm sure is due to the poor living conditions.
Went on a pub crawl in Mui ne with the manager of the resort where he told us that he would be taking drugs. Made us feel extremely uncomfortable and completely innapropriate.
A lot of the things were missed from our iitinery as we "didn't have enough time"
Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your feedback.

The Vietnam Experience is an exclusive Real Gap Experience trip, which is operated in Vietnam by our partners, Bamboo Travel. This information was detailed in your online account in advance of travel.

We are sorry that you felt dissatisfied with the accommodation and we are investigating your concerns with our in-country team.

The pub crawl in Mui Ne is an optional activity that is not operated by us or our partners. We are sorry that this experience was not enjoyable. We have made a complaint on your behalf and the resort manager in question has since been dismissed.

We really appreciate your comments about the Vietnam Experience. We always value customer feedback, and we will be sharing your points with our team in Vietnam.
Although I enjoyed the site seeing aspects of the trip and the yoga classes, this trip is unfortunately not worth the money at all.

I was expecting the accommodation to be basic, but it was poor. The sheets were not clean when I moved to my shared room, the bins were not emptied regularly which is not good as you have to put toilet paper there not the toilet and the bathroom was filthy. There were cockroaches in the bathroom and our room. Also the water didn't always work so you couldn't always take a shower.

I was excited to try the traditional Indonesian food in the canteen which they do offer, but people on the program got food poisoning regularly and had to see a doctor so I ended up having to eat out a lot which makes the trip more expensive.

The coordinators in Penestanan were very friendly but had poor English. This didn't bother me most of the time at all but it only became a problem when I was trying to book a taxi to the airport. They told me a taxi was booked but it didn't show up. I called the office and they couldn't understand me at all and hung up the phone, when I called back they didn't answer.

The activities planned are good, but honestly if you are planning to go to Bali you can book these excursions so much cheaper yourself so I would recommend that. The plus points were that I met some lovely people, I was just disappointed that the trip was not worth the money.
The trips that the company offers are great; usually well organised and lots of fun. But the services delivered from Real Gap itself are poor, as I was given wrong information when booking and emergency contact details provided were wrong. As well as this, there was a problem getting refunded for a trip that was cancelled, which is booked through the company
Hi Ethan,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed our trips and had lots of fun on your travels!

We are sorry to hear you about the trouble you had when travelling. At the end of April Real Gap Experience was purchased by Gap360 and since then we have re-checked and revisited all our suppliers, documents and trip itineraries to ensure information is correct and new processes that will let you know if there are changes (we always try to avoid changing trip itineraries). We’re also pleased to say that we are launching a new system that 'saves' all correspondence along with a new and improved online account with a clearer design and accessible pre-departure information.

We always value customer feedback so thank you again for your review.

Real Gap Experience
This trip is grossly overpriced. Activities that are claimed to be included (and you believe you have already paid for) in your itinerary are not actually included and the optional activity prices in the itinerary are significantly less than what you are actually charged. In no way is this trip value for money. If I had done this as a solo traveller I estimate it to cost £750-800 all in, which is about £400 less than I paid, not including spending money on top. I didn't buy many things becuause I'm travelling for another 2 months and didn't want to carry things. I loved China, the culture and people. If you are thinking about backpacking in China, do it as a solo traveller. It's totally safe, there is minimal crime and I felt at ease the whole time when mooching around by myself. I would not recommend the Dragon Trip if you are on a budget!!
Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed your time in China. It really is a beautiful country with fantastic culture and people!

We were surprised to hear that you felt dissatisfied with the cost of the trip. While we appreciate that you could travel solo more cheaply, our trip organises everything for you and includes a dedicated tour guide, the support of an in-country team, a 24-hour emergency support line in the U.K., as well as other services such as financial protection that secures your trip payments. We find that our travellers value this support and peace of mind when visiting a country where they are far from home and don’t speak the language.

With regards to your comment about the optional activities, we have reviewed our information and found that it clearly states that optional activities are not included in the cost of the trip. We are currently reviewing these extra costs to ensure that they are up to date.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope you enjoy the rest of your travels!

Real Gap Experience