Real Gap Reviews

of reviewers recommend Real Gap
Email, Live Chat, Telephone
Read Real Gap Reviews

social@realgapexp.co.uk

Real Gap Experience, Top Floor, 121-123 Mount Pleasant Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent,

Tell us how Real Gap made you happy
Real Gap 5 star review on 23rd February 2021
Rory Watkinson
Alexandra Williams
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TRAVEL COMPANY!! I had 2 trips totalling 4 weeks in South America booked with this company and they refused to refund my deposit when I was unable to go due to covid travel restrictions. The trip was originally booked in 2019 for September 2020 and at the start of the pandemic last year I realised early on we wouldn’t be able to go so postponed it to September 2021 (at no extra cost). Fast forward a year and Brazil is still a very unsafe place to travel due to very high daily covid deaths and no vaccine roll out. Because of this (and rightly so) travel to there from the UK and Australia, where myself and my friend would be travelling from is also banned. When I contacted Real Gap in March 2021 they said that their September trips were going ahead as planned and if I wished to cancel now I would forfeit my deposit. June 2021 arrives and they contact me to said the remaining balance is now. When I questioned the safety of travelling to Brazil right now they said they it is still going ahead, they will review 30 days (which is not very long) before the trip is due to start and if THEY have to cancel due to covid we would get a refund then but if we don’t pay our remaining balance now as per terms and conditions we will lose our deposit. Alternatively we could postpone again but we have no idea when travel to those countries will be permitted or safe to do so. Also to postpone again would cost us a further £500+ as they’ve increased all their trip prices….basically trying to recover last years lost profits at our expense! As we weren’t willing to gamble with another £1620 each (the remaining balance) on top of the £550 deposit already paid and we couldn’t afford the increased prices we were left with no option but to cancel. This company has been most unsympathetic and unhelpful and I don’t not like their ethics or what they stand for so. They are basically thieves and we will never travel with this company again!!
Hi Debbie Thanks for leaving us a review and I am sorry to see that you are unhappy with the cancellation fees for your trip. I want to clarify a few points for anybody who is reading this, as whilst we do very much sympathise with your situation, we believe we have acted fairly and in line with our terms and conditions. As with all bookings made under our covid policy, if the trip is unable to go ahead then you would be entitled to a full refund. In order to be protected by this policy you do need to also stick to the terms and conditions that you agreed to at the time of booking, including paying for your trip on time. As you stated in your review, we offered you various options including date changes or waiting to see what the situation was like nearer the time of your trip and receiving a full refund if the trip didn’t go ahead. We also advised you what the cancellation fees would be should you decide to cancel the trip yourself. I can see from your emails that you refused to pay for your trip and declined to wait to see if it went ahead and also declined to change date. Instead you opted to cancel the trip yourself with full knowledge that your trip deposits would be lost. Therefore we fulfilled your request and cancelled your trip. It is a shame you didn’t want to wait and see if the trip went ahead as you would either have had an amazing experience travelling if the trip went ahead or been refunded all your money if it didn’t. However we understand that everyone has different circumstances and needs to make the right choice for themselves. We wish you all the best and hope you are able to experience South America in the future at a time that is right for you.
DO NOT VOLUNTEER WITH THIS COMPANY! The service they provide is opposite to what is described on their website. We had the worst experience volunteering with them in South Africa , and cut our trip short paying £600 to get home early. Please use any other travel company !
Thank you for getting in touch. We understand that your feedback is being looked in to by our operations team who have been in touch with you directly.
I volunteered with Real Gap in Nepal teaching at a Buddhist Monastery. Firstly, be aware that the money they charge for the trip is excessive and you could do the exact same thing for half the cost. Also be aware that a lot of the things they claim are not true and be prepared to be put in very awkward situations due to their bad organisation and communication. You must also be prepared to have to buy resources such as paper and pencils for the children you are going to teach as it doesn't seem that any of the money you pay goes towards that. You may also be told that you have a choice as to which monastery you stay at. However this is not true as you will be taken to which ever is more convenient for the team to drive you to. Along the way we met many other volunteers from other organisations who were in shock when we told then the price of our trip as they had only paid a fraction going through other organisations. My biggest disappointment of the trip was our organised trip to Chitwan Safari which you'll find the majority of is already paid in your package yet you still have to add $50 when you actually get there. This weekend almost ruined my whole trip. It was awful to see chained up elephants that are beaten in order for tourists to ride them. Our guide was confused as to why we weren't enjoying seeing the process they go through to train the elephants, which includes separating the calf from its mother. The visit to the breeding centre was so upsetting I wasn't able to take part in the evenings activities. I am disgusted that Real Gap supports and advertises animal cruelty. Their elephant riding industry will continue to thrive due to organisations such as Real Gap providing them with regular tourists. I 100% do not recommend Real Gap, however, I do recommend visiting Nepal as it is a beautiful country. My trip was saved by the amazing monks and other volunteers I met along the way. But please be aware that you can do this trip yourselves or with other organisations that will only take a small percentage of what Real Gap charges.
Hi there Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we really appreciate your feedback. Our prices are in line with similar experiences offered by UK travel agents. Please bear in mind that when you book with us you're ABTOT protected, the project has been fully risk assessed and you also have access to a 24/7 emergency helpline. A portion of your money also goes towards our operating costs in the UK which provide you with a personal travel coordinator to help you get everything organised and answer any of your questions before you go away. Whilst it may be possible to visit Nepal on your own accord for less expense, the majority of our customers choose to book with us because of the security (both financially and from a safety point of view) that Real Gap Experience provide. We're sorry to hear that you had an upsetting experience in Chitwan National Park. Exploitation of animals for tourism or any other means is something which we do not support. This has not happened before and we will be raising this with our local team immediately to ensure that it does not happen again. It's great to hear that you enjoyed visiting Nepal as it is such a beautiful country. The work you did at the monastery is much appreciated and we hope that you'll choose to visit Nepal again in the future.
I have recently returned from a 6 month working visa in New Zealand in which I opted to use this company through which I paid for their services. I was a lone traveller so I felt I may have needed some assistance when looking for a job. Other than setting you up with a bank in New Zealand, this company failed to express any of the other features it claims to offer. You have a small meeting which includes a little bit about some offers of other companies like Stray NZ, Kiwi Experience etc. The sim card they provide you with, which is free in any vodafone shop, is not a good option when staying for over a month in the country which I find strange as this company strongly urges you to stay for a whole year. Secondly the help with finding a job is shocking, I had finally found the place I had wanted to work in after three weeks of travelling and I emailed the company to see if they would be able to help me out with anything. After 4 days of waiting they finally responded, explaining that they would speak to a few of their contacts in the area and see if they could help me out. At this point I had already taken my CV around and found a job on my own. I received an email 3 weeks later saying that they had had no luck and would keep in contact with me if they did. Personally if you're looking tot travel either NZ or Aus then definitely research the countries and download apps such as hostel world and indeed. Also go to a bank as soon as arrive to get a card as most shops don't take overseas cards. I would not reccomend this company.
Hi Ethan Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We're really sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our Paid Work in New Zealand package. It looks as though you initially contacted our team in New Zealand over a bank holiday weekend which is why the response rate was a bit slower than usual. When you contacted our team in the UK we responded with advice promptly and did not hear back from you thereafter. We always try to make it clear that if you're looking for anything other than casual work or a very specific job in a specific area, it may take longer to find the job you're after. However, a 3 week response time from the team on the ground is unacceptable and we will be investigating this as it falls below our high standards. We're pleased to hear that you were able to find a job in New Zealand and explore some of the country while you were there too. Thanks once again for taking the time to send us your feedback. As a company, it's really important for us to continually work to improve our programmes in any way we can.
Anything that's worth doing isn't included in the trip. Accommodation is always miles away from everything which means having to pay for taxis. Far too much time spent in Sangkhlaburi. Would not book anything with real gap again.
Every service you provide is highly inflated in price and you take money from organisations trying help the poorest and most needy people in the world. You also rip off those (volunteers) who are trying to do something good. I'm gutted to have used your service, complete waste of money.
Real Gap is rated 4.66 based on 509 reviews