Real Gap Reviews

93% of reviewers recommend Real Gap

social@realgapexp.co.uk

Real Gap Experience, Top Floor, 121-123 Mount Pleasant Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent,

How would you rate Real Gap ?

Agnete Gostautaite
"Everything was really well organised. The staff was very friendly, informative and helpful. Their response time is very quick and I cannot find any faults in their service. Katie Green in a real expert! Without a doubt I would use this company again."
Allyson Garrido
"I was much more relaxed, our guide Ting provided the information we needed and also take care of everything. Was an amazing travel and I'm already recommending to all my friends"
Kris Stevens
"I went on the Grand European tour and it was the best month of my life! The tour staff were amazing on route giving loads of information in a fun and exciting way. It was quite pricey but beyond the set fees, you can adjust your budget appropriately which was a relief. The extra activities were amazing and I can definitely recommend Real Gap."
Hi Agnete! Thanks for your review. We're so glad you had a great time away 😊 - please do get in touch when you're ready for your next travel adventure!
"Real Gap were fantastic. They were happy to answer any questions you had, replying quickly via emails and they were able to help advise you on several trips if you were unsure. Great team to work with. Would highly recommend booking through this company"
Hey Emily - thanks for the review! If you need anything else before you travel, just get in touch and we'll be happy to help ☺️
"Fab"
Hey Sarah - thanks for the review :D
"Emma is very knowledgable about all of the different tours and a real pleasure to work with when booking a trip! I am really looking forward to my trip to Australia!"
Hey Kevin, thanks for the review. We're glad to hear that Emma was a pleasure to speak to and answered all of your questions. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with before you head off!
"Really helpful and answered all my questions."
Thanks Danielle, hope you have an amazing trip! 😊
"As a company real gap are very proffesional and have a array of fantastic trips. I dealt mainly with Emma who was informative and kept good contact with me through the booking process. Looking forward to my trip next year! 😊"
Hi Robyn, thanks for your review! We're glad to have helped you plan your travels, you're going to have the trip of a lifetime!
"The Real Gap group was well organised and easy to use. So much so that i never really had to ask too many questions, but when i did they were answered with quality and precision. I was disappointed with the out-going flights which were advised and organised by the R/G team. I had to spend 9 hours in Dubai between transfers and arrived with my tour at 22:00 on day one, which i felt was a reduction of my trip? I also did not enjoy the internal travel arrangements the night sleeping buses were very bad and made me tired as i was unable to sleep and they did not fit my size.also the waiting for the bus was awful, some times in the middle of the night? I will say that our tour guide "Pinky" was amazing, she dealt with issues confidently and professionally. What a star. If you are looking at this review, please note I enjoyed the whole thing and would advise anyone to give this trip ago!! Have it!! Mel"
Hi Melvyn, thanks for taking the time to tell us about your trip.

It's great to hear that we answered all of your questions before you went away and that you enjoyed your time in Vietnam.

We're sorry that you were disappointed with the flights you booked. Our flights team will always try to source you flights which are a good balance between price and comfort, however, if you'd have preferred to pay a little more for direct flights or some with less stopover time and flights which arrived earlier in the day then they would've been happy to look into that for you - all you needed to do was let us know!

This is a backpacking style trip and as such, we tend to use public transport as opposed to private transfers. We're sorry to hear that you weren't able to get much sleep on the overnight busses and that this left you tired for the following day's activities. We have passed your feedback concerning the night busses on to the local team to review.
"It was good, advisors were lovely. Very quick replies which is excellent! Would be good if advisors for the riding holiday were more experienced riders (or had been on the trip themselves) for a more in-depth discussion about what the trip has to offer - didn't get the impression they knew much about the details of the riding opportunities. Nevertheless - very excited to go and experience it for myself, and thank you for the lovely service!"
Hi there - thanks for leaving us a review. We're glad to hear that you had a good service from our travel advisors and are looking forward to your trip - you're going to have a great time!
Hey there - thanks for your review! We're pleased that you are happy with the service from our travel advisors - they can't know everything about everything but they do try! If you need anything else in the run up to your trip then just let us know! :)
"Emma has been very helpful answering all our questions over the phone and quick replies over email! Thankyou!!"
Hi Georgia, thanks for getting in touch. We're glad to hear that we answered all your questions and bet you can't wait to go on your trip! If you've got any questions before you head off - just let us know!
"I booked the Bali Beaches + Lombok trip in March and I have just come back. It was a truly incredible trip and before I left for the trip I received lots of support and information from the Real Gap team. We experienced a magnitude 7.0 earthquake while in Lombok and the Real Gap were really good at contacting us to make sure we were all ok. The booking process was really good, it was made very straight forward and loved the fact that Real Gap have a flights team which helped me book my flights - the whole process was completely stress free. Thank you so much!"
Hey Jemima - thanks for leaving us a review! It's great to hear that you had such a good time in Bali & Lombok. One of the many advantages of booking with us is that your safety is our number one priority - you know you're in good hands! Please get in touch when it's time for your next adventure - we'd be happy to help!
"I did have a good time during my 18 days in Thailand. We had an amazing group and everyone could get along pretty well. The only thing I had difficulties with at the beginning was the way our guide communicated. Or better said: how he did not communicate with us until the moment we had to leave for a trip. I feel like he needed some time to get used to the group, because in the end he communicated better and he had a better connection with the group. All in all, it was a great experience with the highlight of the trip being the elephant sanctuary."
Hey Dyonne. Thanks for your review! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Thailand. When you start a tour, it does sometimes take a few days for everyone to get used to each other and connect and this includes tour guides too! It sounds like you had a fantastic trip and we're pleased you liked the elephant sanctuary - we think it's pretty awesome too!
"The company is fantastic, the team before I went travelling were great and answered all my questions quickly. Met the most amazing people out there and I’m so glad I did it through real gap! Reasonable prices and great experiences!"
Hi there.

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch - we really appreciate it! We're so pleased to hear that you had such a great time away and hope that you'll travel with us again in the future!
"It was the best experience of my life. The things we did, the people we met, our guide! There was so much more on our itinerary than we expected. Every day was full of stuff to do, the accommodation was very good and the hospitality of places was amazing."
Hi Amber. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience - we really appreciate it.

It's great to hear that you had the best experience of your life - what more could we wish for?! It sounds like you had a fantastic time away :)

If you fancy another adventure in the future then get in touch and we'll be happy to help you out!
"Real Gap organised a fantastic trip and I had the time of my life in South Africa as it was a very valuable volunteering experience. The support before coming was amazing and all my questions were answered and it was great to have the Facebook group available. Thanks to the team for all the help!"
Hi Morgane. Thanks for leaving us a review!

It's great to hear that you had such a fantastic time away in South Africa and that the team in the UK helped you to feel full prepared before you travelled.

Please get in touch when it's time for another adventure and we'll be happy to help you out!
"I volunteered with Real Gap in Nepal teaching at a Buddhist Monastery. Firstly, be aware that the money they charge for the trip is excessive and you could do the exact same thing for half the cost. Also be aware that a lot of the things they claim are not true and be prepared to be put in very awkward situations due to their bad organisation and communication. You must also be prepared to have to buy resources such as paper and pencils for the children you are going to teach as it doesn't seem that any of the money you pay goes towards that. You may also be told that you have a choice as to which monastery you stay at. However this is not true as you will be taken to which ever is more convenient for the team to drive you to. Along the way we met many other volunteers from other organisations who were in shock when we told then the price of our trip as they had only paid a fraction going through other organisations. My biggest disappointment of the trip was our organised trip to Chitwan Safari which you'll find the majority of is already paid in your package yet you still have to add $50 when you actually get there. This weekend almost ruined my whole trip. It was awful to see chained up elephants that are beaten in order for tourists to ride them. Our guide was confused as to why we weren't enjoying seeing the process they go through to train the elephants, which includes separating the calf from its mother. The visit to the breeding centre was so upsetting I wasn't able to take part in the evenings activities. I am disgusted that Real Gap supports and advertises animal cruelty. Their elephant riding industry will continue to thrive due to organisations such as Real Gap providing them with regular tourists. I 100% do not recommend Real Gap, however, I do recommend visiting Nepal as it is a beautiful country. My trip was saved by the amazing monks and other volunteers I met along the way. But please be aware that you can do this trip yourselves or with other organisations that will only take a small percentage of what Real Gap charges."
Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we really appreciate your feedback.

Our prices are in line with similar experiences offered by UK travel agents. Please bear in mind that when you book with us you're ABTOT protected, the project has been fully risk assessed and you also have access to a 24/7 emergency helpline. A portion of your money also goes towards our operating costs in the UK which provide you with a personal travel coordinator to help you get everything organised and answer any of your questions before you go away. Whilst it may be possible to visit Nepal on your own accord for less expense, the majority of our customers choose to book with us because of the security (both financially and from a safety point of view) that Real Gap Experience provide.

We're sorry to hear that you had an upsetting experience in Chitwan National Park. Exploitation of animals for tourism or any other means is something which we do not support. This has not happened before and we will be raising this with our local team immediately to ensure that it does not happen again.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed visiting Nepal as it is such a beautiful country. The work you did at the monastery is much appreciated and we hope that you'll choose to visit Nepal again in the future.
"Helpful staff and very knowledgeable with great value trips."
Hey Craig. Thanks for leaving us a review! It's great to see a returning customer travelling with us again! If you need anything before you go or while you're away just give us a shout!
"I had a great time in South Africa volunteering at a Creche in a township near Cape Town. The kids and staff were all so lovely and grateful for the help, I really felt appreciated and welcome. I would've given the trip 5*, however I am really disappointed in the fact that Real Gap have not been transparent with where the money is going, as I have been informed (unofficially) that very little of it makes it to the creche which is entirely run by residents of the township. I have emailed many times about this, but have been told the information is 'confidential', but what reason is there for it to be confidential? It's my money that I was expecting would go to the school and community, and I find it concerning that this information cannot be disclosed. I was not asking for exact figures, only a percentage which they would not give me, although I know other companies will give this information. Why are Real Gap keeping the percentage that goes to the school confidential? I would love to go back to the Creche as I had a fantastic time, however I would not go through Real Gap until they can be transparent with the percentage of the money that goes to the project. Also, initially I was meant to do a similar trip in Malawi. I received an email about 6 weeks before I left informing me my trip was cancelled as I was the only person who booked on. There was no personal call made from the company to me, unsurprisingly this was a massive shock and altered my plans for the whole summer. I then had to make phone calls to Real Gap to organise to either cancel my trip but not get my flight money back (£550) or change my trip and pay a fee to alter my flight itinerary (£180 extra - a lot when you're a student!!). I would've expected the company to pay this fee as they are they are people who put me in this situation as my choice was pay £180 or go on holiday by myself - a failure on Real Gap's behalf as I believe they should've pushed the project in Malawi more. I did love my time in South Africa, but the company made the lead up to it very stressful with a reluctance to help. I felt like Real Gap were very interested in taking my money, and not sending it where it was most needed in Africa."
Hi Phoebe

Thanks for getting in touch. It’s nice to hear that you had a great time volunteering in South Africa!

We’re sorry that you’ve been disappointed with the response from our team. As a company, our objective is to provide our customers with a safe and authentic volunteering experience which also benefits the local community. The money you pay us covers accommodation, your orientation, airport pick up and 24/7 support should you need anything whilst you’re away. Some of the money you paid also covers operating costs in the UK, for example, our team here in the UK also carry out strict and frequent assessments of all of our programmes to ensure that they meet our high standards. By booking with a UK travel company, you’re also financially protected by ABTOT which means that you’d receive a full refund should the company go in to liquidation – protection you wouldn’t receive if you visited the programme independently. For this particular project, we do not donate your programme fee directly to the crèche however your time and help is the real benefit and many of your funds benefit the community indirectly. Some of our volunteers want to give more than their time and choose to fundraise before, during or after their trip or take donations for the local community with them which is greatly encouraged.

We’re sorry that switching from your original programme in Malawi caused you some stress. We recently reviewed this programme and unfortunately it no longer met our high standards and so we deemed it necessary to offer you some alternatives. For important changes like this we will always contact you in writing rather than by phone to ensure that you’re clear on all of your options, however, our team were more than happy to talk this through with you over the phone too. We did also explain that if you didn’t want to switch, you could continue to visit the project independently - an option which would have meant it was not necessary to pay to change your flights.

We really value the work that our volunteers do and always receive great feedback from the local team in South Africa about the enthusiasm of our volunteers. We’d like to thank you for your hard work at the project and are sure you’ll agree that it was beneficial to both the children at the crèche and the wider community.
"The information provided beforehand was very helpful to prep for the trip All tour guides were very knowledgeable The group we met to travel have become great friends Would recommend this trip"
Hey there, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so pleased to hear that you had a great time away and would recommend us to others. Please get in touch when it's time for your next adventure - we'll be happy to help!
Hi Allyson

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and for your sharing your amazing photo! It's fantastic to hear that you had such a great time in Thailand. If you've got itchy feet and are looking for another adventure in the future then please get in touch!
"Frequent and helpful emails from Katie G keeping me updated"
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review - we're really happy to help you prepare for your travels!
Real Gap is rated 4.63 based on 381 reviews

Get ready for our phone call!