Pod Point Limited Reviews

Own Driver, Postal Service
Over A Week
Read Pod Point Limited Reviews

About Pod Point Limited:

UK's leading provider of electric car charging stations with over 25000 customers and solutions for home, workplace and public charging.

support@pod-point.com

Stephanie Dunn
Emma-Louise Tackley
Pod Point Limited 5 star review on 25th November 2020
Rashmi Menon
Thanks for the mess left behind
Not the tidiest of installations, and currently not working.
Took 5 weeks from payment to get a connection and two weeks from fitting the point to getting it working - they couldn't get it connected to wifi to update the software so had to change the board. This is a common problem apparently - the installer said they rarely connect. Pre sale service good, after sales poor - haven't replied to a couple of my emails
In summary - Great product, but very messy installation experience.

To be fair to Podpoint, everything is now resolved and i am very happy with the charger and App. Nice quality product and a good quality and tidy install.

However it was a VERY painful process........

After sending many detailed photos for the virtual Covid survey, an installation date was duly booked.

On arrival the first installer highlighted a number of complications with my installation that required some pre-work before installation could take place. Would of course have been better to know that before install date, but again not always easy for them to know until they see the job physically.

Extra work was quoted at nearly 300 pounds by podpoint, but I had my own electrician complete for 200.

Rebooked in for the install, and a subcontract engineer arrived and stated that all the extra work requested was incorrectly specified, and a waste of time. Attempts on the day to get a final opinion from podpoint on who was right/wrong was not possible, so the install went ahead after spending about 1.5 hrs trying to resolve on the phone.

I then had to chase podpoint twice to try and get refunded for the "wasted" work. It was only at this point that i received a call from a very professional technical manager who stated the first engineer was right, and that they would have to come back a 3rd time to rectify. This was carried out next working day by the original engineer, who was also very professional and apologetic.

The pod is now installed, looks and works great. But its clear that the speed of expansion and EV adoption (and maybe Covid working) is causing growing pains for Podpoint, and they do not have great control of the sub contractors. Make sure to ask for a podpoint directly employed engineer.
Really excited about the whole principle but sadly it was installed a week ago and STILL not working. “maybe an engineer will get out to me this week”. Not the start I was hoping for Pod Point!!!
Installer turned up on time and was polite and friendly and made as neat as possible a job.

I spent the little extra for the 7kw unit (will become relevant later)

However I’ve had two issues so far with the install. Despite being “tested” by the installer I’ve had two issues so far in less than a week.

The first time I used the Pod-Point it didn’t even work. After a call with a very helpful support operative it turned out the monitoring “clamp” was on the “wrong” cable, after moving it and resetting the charger the car started to charge.

The 2nd issue is the charger was significantly slower than my 13a “granny” charger. After speaking to another support operative they increased the “charging rate” remotely.

What concerns me now is that I only have a PHEV with a 3.6kw onboard circuit. In another few years I plan on going full electric but that may well be after the charger is out of warranty.

As I can’t actually test the charging rate over and above 3.6kw I’ve no confidence I can order a full e/v and use this Pod-Point to its full potential.

I’m now going to have to see if I can borrow or get a test drive of an EV with a minimum 7kw onboard charger to check this Pod-Point.

I can forgive the issues with install time as this was not Pod-Points fault due to covid but this is not acceptable and I find it surprising from a company that’s recommended so widely by the vehicle manufacturers.
Zion your engineer was not given the correct information before he arrived hence he had to return. then when he returned the found the circuit board he was given was not working so he changed it for another one he had been given only to find that was incorrect.
3rd time lucky when returned
Excellent installer on the day - but the process in the run up to booking and costs was really opaque, with additional charges being proposed prior to installation, which turned out to be incorrect and inaccurate. Recommend PodPoint review their process to be more accurate and transparent.
I ordered my DS3 Crossback at the beginning of Feb 2020 and contacted POD for the install of the POD charger at my home address. I dealt with Duncan Lead who sent me various forms to complete regarding install layout and what equipment would be needed and I sent various photos of my electric meter under my stairs to the route the cable needed to go out side to the install point in the garage. This was all accepted with thanks and I then paid for the POD on 4th Feb. I received notification that the install would take place on Friday 20th March between 8.30am and 12pm so I booked this off work as holiday.
On 20th March (day of Install) I received a call from Freddie Brownsmith to say the install would not take place due to staff illness. I appreciate sickness cant be planned but this wasted a morning for me. Freddie then re-booked this appointment for 24th March which I accepted and again arranged to be at home. I received a call from the install engineer on the morning of the install to ask if its an internal wiring job or external. I confirmed that I had sent all the photos showing its an internal wiring job and an external garage POD install. The engineer then said he couldn't do it due to Covid-19 risks coming in to my property. Another morning wasted with very poor communication and organisation.
A Raymond Abubaker then contacted me to say the install would take place on 15th May, I checked that this would definitely proceed due to the previous errors and was assured it would, however this was again cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic as only external installs being carried out but as I was in a sector deemed to be a key worker my install would be prioritised.
I then chased up in June and July and received notification from Freddie that the install would take place on Friday 31st July 12pm - 4pm. I received a call from Ben the installer on Thursday 30th July to say he was on his way, which I told him he had the wrong day. After checking with the scheduling team he realised they had provided him with the incorrect install day. However I made a few calls and managed to get someone to my house as I was at work. Ben then called back once at property to say that it was quite an involved job and he would have to do a survey and come back at another time. You can imagine my bewilderment at this after the previous saga of Sickness, Covid, wrong dates and now no-one looking at the photos I had sent through some 6 months previous.
The install was re-booked between Freddie and Ben for Saturday August 8th at 8.30am.
Ben arrived bang on time and was very polite and apologetic for the previous performance. He worked really hard to get the work done in time as I had a people arriving at lunch time and he was aware to get the work complete. Ben was fantastic and his eye to detail great. He explained how the equipment worked and what I needed to do to get this most out of it. He left my property at 1.30pm and said to call him if I had any problems.

As you can see I have been I believe very patient regarding all the cancelations and I am aware of the unprecedented situation, however I do work in a similar service industry whereby the customer service level is critical to maintain business. I have spent far too long on the phone, writing emails and being at home waiting for engineers to make my experience a happy one and I would hesitate to recommend POD to any of my staff as I am the first to have a company electric car. I would welcome any feedback and be interested in any compensation you consider worthy considering I paid over £800 (les Grant) in February for an August install.

I would also recommend you use the above in any staff training to hopefully improve the customer experience.

Again I must stress that the actual install went really well and Ben was a credit to your company.
Yours Mike Beaumont - 07889812759
Staff on the phone were very friendly and helpful, however sub-contractor that carried out the install rearranged at short notice.

This was a problem as the booking had been planned to ensure that the homeowner could be present to approve the work being carried out by the installer. The install went ahead a few days later but the home owner could not be present.

The installation was not installed as agreed on the phone or in person with the cable being run directly across a wall along the front of the house, despite the agreed plan being to run the cable at ground level so as to preserve the aesthetics of the house.

The charger was also placed in the wrong place on the wall with the installer refusing to install it in the location that had been previously agreed.

Finally, the charger is only charging my car at a rate of 8 miles per hour of range. This was explained as being due to the supply to the house being limited by a 60A fuse, which could be upgraded but discussing this prior to the install would have been preferred, as a total charge time of 27.5 hours is not that useful.
So far, NOT so good.

The electrician arrived on time and as arranged. After a brief survey he said he'd not been given the correct information-despite my very detailed images-and therefore had the wrong circuit breaker. No problem, I'm an electrician too and had a brand new one-easy. The installation was carried out neatly and efficiently, all rubbish was removed and the unit was set up on my wifi with no issues. As we said our good-byes, the car was charging. About an hour after he left he called to say he'd submitted his certificate but had been told that the installation needed a double pole switch in the circuit and would have to return. A nuisance-for both of us-but we agreed a date.

I called the support line to ask for a technical explanation as neither he or I could see the need for the additional isolator and in the 50 minutes or so that I was on the phone with Samira-who was very polite and professional-the unit tripped (went to a red light) about ten times. Samira went through all the scenarios to make sure we'd done all we could, checked the correct mother board was installed and has now escalated it to the Network Assurance team.

So at the moment I have an EV that I now have to revert to 2kWh charging-meaning I need to find a public charge point to get to work in the morning-a pod point unit that sits with a red light and at least another day of not working while either the unit is replaced, the double pole switch is installed OR both.

So, to say I've not got much confidence in the system or equipment is probably an understatement. I realise these things happen, but it's not a great start to my EV life.

I will write a further review once this is resolved-as I'm sure it will be-but for now it's not a five star review.!!
Overall a very frustrating experience. The installer ( subcontracted) was very good. He flagged up a potential problem ( possible looped supply to property) a few days before install with the case holder, who did not contact me for clarification. The installer could not proceed on the day. Very poor customer services from numerous Pod Point team members when I complained. If I had not contacted Western Power ( who were exceptional ) myself, the install would have been delayed further.
20 plus emails from you in a week to get absolutely nowhere. Impossible to complete the on line forms. Money taken from my account before I completed the first form. Virtually no customer service. A miserable experience. Tried emailing and phone. Resorted to Kia to help.
I am disappointed in the whole process.
Starting from taking videos and pictures and sending them remotely to the engineer to decide about the work required as there are no visits for the engineer before the installation day.
I did not imagine that I will pay more than 500 pounds for the installation.
The trenching and ground work left me with a broken door step and misplaced floor tiles.
The electric work was good and the engineer was very polite and
professional.
In summery, very expensive installation that should make every one think twice before getting an electric car.
Over a month between payment being taken and installation. Arrival prompt. Very pleasant gentleman to complete installation. But some mess left on the drive and empty packaging. Pod point unit didn't connect to the app, issue not yet resolved. Instructions don't inform on how to turn unit on/off.
Was told to change circuit breaker in consumer unit to 32 amp which I had done, I was then told it would need 40 amp and this would be done on the day. Uploaded all forms and pictures as requested then received phone call for more information such as consumer unit make and various other details were confirmed. Was told we would receive a call three days before install to confirm safety from Covid this did not happen, was told would receive a call on the day from installer this did not happen. Installer arrived and said could not fit as I did not have a spare circuit even though this had been checked the week before also said he could not change circuit breaker as he did not have one for my make of consumer unit even though this had been checked the week before, after a few phone calls was able to continue, although the fuse has not been changed. Was told about virus precautions in much detail, but on the day the installer did not wear any PPE no mask or gloves and did not keep a safe distance, even handed me a iPad on completion for me to sign. We have been in isolation since 13th March and feel this was now a waste of time and are now worrying for the next two weeks. I must confirm that this is NOT a complaint about the installer who was a very nice man and did a reasonable job, I can only assume that he had not had proper training about safety on Covid.
unfortunately it seemed once the payment was received by Pod Point and initial forms for grant completed, Pod Point entirely lost interest. I had to chase and chase at every stage, from getting the pre-installation form correctly (had issues with downloading) to chasing for an installation appointment (as never received this from them) and finally getting through. The installation was subcontracted to another company. Once I finally made an appointment for early afternoon last Friday, they called me to say the engineer was sick and they had to postpone to early afternoon on Monday (ok, this happens, people get sick) but only to have the installers here at 9am at my door on Monday... thank God I had no meetings and could stay in .. they seemed to have no knowledge that the appointment was for early afternoon and told me they were told I was their first job. So a very disappointing experience getting to the installation point. I cannot however fault the two guys who actually did the installation, they were polite and extremely helpful - my only surprise of this part was a complete lack of any covid protocols, no gloves, or wipes when handing things over, no masks, etc... that said, I made sure I washed my hands immediately every time I took something from them.
Arranging the installation was poor with no action taken despite chasing three times
Once actually booked the installer was very good
Be prepared to become an amateur electrician in order to answer the questions required before an installation slot can be booked. The photos that we took of the path for the installation must have been ignored since upon the electrician's arrival we were informed that the path had to be changed. The options given to us on the day were motivated entirely by how difficult of a job it would be for the electrician or how long it would take. It was only upon questioning and a phone call to the company that another option was available. We were told that this option was more difficult and would potentially incur additional cost if we overran the scheduled timeslot. We agreed and thought that this was fair. The job was done comfortably within the timeslot. I'm sure some of this was luck and some was the skill of the electrician, but the option shouldn't have been so difficult to access just because it required more work for the electrician. If I hadn't have been stubborn, we would have ended up with the charger in a non-ideal location and unsightly trunking all over the front hall or laundry room. I'm only going to do this once - I want it done right!

Scheduling was difficult - partly because of Covid-19, which I understand - but also our installation date was changed without letting us know until a surprise 8:30am knock on the door.

The electrician who did our installation did not wear a face mask and approached and stood too close given the current Covid-19 circumstances. He was also supposed to call ahead of arrival and discuss accommodations that would be undertaken to keep us and him safe - this call never happened.

We're happy with the performance of the charging point now that it's in (2 weeks use so far). It was just such a struggle to get to this point.
Very very difficult to talk to a person to discuss options available and i made numerous calls to no avail....very frustrating!
Pod Point Limited is rated 4.70 based on 20,361 reviews