Opodo Reviews

2% of reviewers recommend Opodo

How would you rate Opodo?

46 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
Lawrence Mccormack

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Opodo in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
Lawrence Mccormack
"01/05/2017 i booked return flights from Gatwick to Prague for 6 people. for February 2018. Outbound was with Smartwings TNGMTO and return was with easy jet ES6C6WM. The outgoing was in the evening so my kids could go to school for a full day. After paying i got the reservation numbers. I then tried to log onto smartwings to reserve seats, could not log onto the flight, i did not worry as i had just recieved the order confirmation. Logged onto easyjet, i had to register, then pay a bit extra to reserve seat and extra baggage (snowboard and suitcast). I waited 3 months to then try log into smartwings to reserve seats, the website could not find my reservation. I called smartwings in germany i think and they could not find the flight, Called opodo and it was difficult to communicate with there call centre, but as it turns out, the flight was cancelled. OPODO did not contact me about this, so i had to pay for new flights for the 6 of us while OPODO tried to get me a refund. It took about a month and i got a full refund for the cancelled flight. For the new flights i logged onto easyjet and found a flight the same day at 6pm so my kids had a half day at school. the flight was 60% full so if i had found out a bit later it could have been very costly considering i had booked accommodation and car rental for or arrival date. I have used OPODO again for another trip to the USA this year, flying in October 2018. 3 flights, first Gatwick to JFK, second JFK to Las Vegas, third Las Vegas to Gatwick. The 2 flights from and 2 Gatwick are with Norwegian Air. I fell a bit misled as when i tried to reserve seating i had to pay quite a bit extra Almost £180 and i will have to pay roughly the same if i want Meals on the flights. These prices should have been highlighted when showing me the deals."
John Rennardson
Verified Reviewer
"Booked a flight and then unfortunately needed to change the flight for two days later. After four phone calls totalling 1 1/2 hours and just being left on hold with a promise of someone will talk to me, I just had to give up and stick to original date, even though I had paid for a flexible flight and cancellation insurance. A shameful company!! I would never use them again! I feel I was conned and there was nothing I could do about it, they had my money and you can’t talk to anyone only listen to music and eventually get cut off. I have yet to find out if the phone calls were at a premium rate and that they made more money from me, by making me wait! A total disgrace!"
"after booking I had an issue and they didn't even respond to my email, simply NO service. Additionally their price wasn't competitive compared to booking directly with the airline. Overall frustrating and costly experience with very poor support."
"The comments on Opodo's website are misleading and borderline fraudulent. My round trip reservation was from Atyrau, Kazakhstan to Amsterdam, on Air Astana. I added the Cancel For Any Reason Guarantee to my purchase but it was not registered. The description for the Trip Cancellation insurance was not very clear and the Terms and Conditions were sent via email AFTER I purchased the insurance. I don't agree I should receive the terms & conditions after the 24 hour waiting period has passed. Also Opodo does not clearly communicate nor identify the insurance is for a verifiable and valid health emergency only. Personally I would classify this misrepresentation (not honoring the Cancel For Any Reason Guarantee, or misleading/misinforming the buyers on the full intent of the Trip Cancellation Insurance) as a scam by Opodo. Additionally, they state they have Free Cancellation. If Free Cancellation is only valid for 24 hours from the time of purchase, then it should clearly say so. However, Opodo's web site says some of the flights have free cancellation, but they put a reminder on another page about their Same Day cancellation which again is misleading and confusing. Most importantly, I didn't receive a confirmation for 24 hours. So I never knew if my ticket had cleared. My online bank showed an Air Astana airline (not Opodo) amount pending, which 3 days later, it never went through and in fact it is no longer pending at all. The only fee that has gone through is the Opodo handling fee of $79 USD. Another misrepresentation is, when the Opodo website's cancellation page makes the statement to contact the airlines directly for cancellation which is incorrect. I called Air Astana and they said they can't cancel it, and I had to call Opodo back again and waited another 40 minutes to speak with a representative. After a long and grueling conversation with a non-English speaking Indian national, who could hardly understand me and I could hardly understand their accent, I was informed the purchased the trip cancellation policy at the time of booking, and the Trip Cancellation Insurance, neither of them are of any use and I will receive no refunds nor credits whatsoever. I will never buy through Opodo again. Always use the carrier's websites directly and avoid middle man fees and risks."
"Impossible to get through to make urgent flight changes. I have tried several times over the last 6 days (total of 4hrs waiting for answer) Go somewhere else guys for the sake of a few quid it's not worth the risk"
"Discount advertised of 50% for car rental was not applied and customer service send me (twice) to another telephone number - one was not able to handle any car rental and the other one was not recognised!! They don't have an email address where you can complain in writing."
Volker And Doreen
Verified Reviewer
""The Guardian" wrote in September 2014 "Online travel agency Opodo is the focus of this week’s column as it has triggered the wrath of a number of readers. The problems differ, but are bound by a common theme: that when those problems are reported, Opodo ignores them or fobs the customer off..." Being ignored and fobbed off, that is exactly the experience we had with opodo. We booked a multi-city flight (London - Istanbul - Dubai - Glasgow), money was taken from the credit card and all flights showed "confirmed" under "My trips" in the Opodo customer portal. According to Opodo: "The “My Trips” area is the place to go if you need to confirm your flight status". .... and opodo promises "real time" status information. When we tried to check in at the airport, we were informed by airline that no booking has been made. "My trips" showed a fake booking confirmation, fraud by Opodo, as money has been taken from the card without issuing the tickets. We had to by expensive replacement tickets. Material damage: 525 GBP plus inmaterial damage 1 lost holiday and inconvenience. The Opodo customer service refused to help, refused to take ownership, refused to process any claims. Worst customer service experience we ever had in our life."
Krisztián
Verified Reviewer
"Failed to notice that the price contains no baggage. Adding a baggage later is a change which is possible only by phone and costs 20 Pounds. Free canceling within 14 hours is advertised during booking but it seems to be impossible to activate."
"I am still awaiting confirmation of a flight I'm meant to be on in 48 hours - Opodo is a total joke - and zero customer service. They have taken my money so a service I have not received or confirmed that I will receive it - disgrace"
"Although Opodo is supposed to be famous and trustworthy company, in fact, it is not! Already for over 3 months I am waiting for my promised refund!!! As my flight (Ref: 3047270248 [29052580-1507814308]) has been cancelled 2 weeks before the due date, Opodo has contacted me and asked whether I would like to get a refund or would prefer to get another ticket. On 12 October 2017, I have replied that I would prefer to get the refund (please note, not even the full refund!!). Opodo Customer Service has informed me that the money should appear in my account within the next 30-90 days. After the 42nd day since my requested refund past, I have sent a mail to Opodo Customer Service to get an update about the status of my requested refund. Of course, nobody has contacted me from the Customer Service of Opodo and I did not get any information about my inquiry. As 90 days since my request have passed, I have tried to contact Customer Service again. All what I got as a reply was that my inquiry is being processed and the money will be returned within the next 3 months. It is already clear to me that Opodo is not going to return the money, therefore I would like to share my experience and warn others to never use Opodo if you do not wish to loose your money!"
"I recently booked a ticket from Toronto to London for myself and my cousin. I entered his nickname as his first name as it is what everyone knows him as. When I called to correct the error, they advised me that it would cost $229CDN to correct a name. How is this justified? the name change took a total of 2 minutes to fix on their end, yet the cost is incredibly unreasonable. How do they justify such a steep fee?"
"I am having a terrible experience with opodo. I have booked a round trip flight from Vancouver to Cairo from opodo website as they offered cheapest price compared to other travel agents. I would advice anyone not to do so. I have made a call directly after my reservation (during my free cancel period) to inquire about this flight refund policy as I know that I might need to change or cancel this flight due to some personal reasons. They have provided me with misleading information during the call; They told me that if I cancel my ticked I would be refunded my money (1070 GBP) after paying (125CAD + 25GBP) cancellation fees and I have continued my booking based on this information. I have performed the cancellation later and I was refunded only 112 GBP while I was expecting to be refunded ~ 950 GBP. When I made the cancellation call I was in a hurry and didn't give much attention to the mentioned details as I thought every thing was already settled based on the information I have been provided initially. The agent mentioned the number 110 GBP and I was under the impression that this is the equivalence of the cancellation fees as it was nearly the same total amount. When I contacted the customer service they said the agent in the cancellation call informed me that 110 GBP will be refunded and I approved. When I explained for them the source of misunderstanding and the information I have been provided from them earlier they refused my request of verifying the first call and they don't think they even need to give explanation for the wrong information I have been provided !! They also refused my request of escalating my issue and just tell me there is nothing they shall do. They seem also to have a lot of problems; My account in opodo still indicates that my flight is valid and that I had a 110 GBP discount although my booking has been canceled. I have told the customer service about that but the account still view same irrelevant information. I tried to send more emails explaining what's happened but they replied saying they will not respond to my emails anymore."
"My daughter booked with OPODO on 28 November a flight with SAS from Stockholm to Manchester and paid for one piece of suitcase (23kg) total EUR 161.07. accidentally I booked on the same day direct with SAS the same flight with 2 x 23 kg included for EUR 130.00. Within 8 hours we contacted Opodo by phone and emails to cancel the flight. They refused as cancellations must made "by phone only" and by the way this ticked is not refundable. In their publicity Opodo asserted that all tickets can be refunded within 24 hours. Now our money is considered stolen by Opodo. I recommend to stay away from this company and deal with the airlines directly. Never, never again Opodo"
"I'm glad you had a good experience. My experience in 2 different bookings, have not been so positive. During the booking I added all of the information requested to issue the invoice once the payment was confirmed. I need the invoices to claim the trip costs to my employer. Days later after my return flight, I have requested the invoice via the website. I received instead the bookings confirmation. Tried to call customer service and follow the instruction up to the point where I'm told to requested on the website and the call is simply terminated with the option to speak with an operator. On the next call followed instruction to clear a due payment situation (then Opodo's operators pick the call) and finally managed to speak with an operator that send me again the confirmation by email. I complained per email and finally received 1 out of 2 invoices. I learned then that although you pay to Opodo, clients need to chase airlines for the invoice for the price of the tickets. From Opodo only received the invoice for Opodo handling fees. But even that is incorrect in the case you have ordered a insurance for being able to change your flight dates/flexible dates option. It is a mess. Customer service is a joke and obviously don't know math. I'm still missing invoices several days after the trip. Tax evasion?!"
"I fully agree and almost on the same level of experience as Natasha Smitter. Booked a flight with Opodo on 6th October 2017 to travel from London to Karachi on 20th December 2017. The booking was confirmed by email almost immediately, however no invoice or tickets came until today. I called them today to find out that one of the flight was not confirmed due to technical reasons hence the booking can not be confirmed. Although part of the journey was already charged to my card, he said it has been refunded and I had to wait for a couple of days for them to show up on my account.. However he said he can re-book it straightaway but wanted me to pay the ticket difference. I wasn't going to agree with that and he finally agreed to book it for the same fare. As the travelling involved multiple airlines they had already charged for part of the journey and a refund was on the way. They had also charged service charges for credit card transaction. When I asked for a confirmation of refund (before paying the full purchase amount all over again), by email they refused and mentioned that the recording of the call is a proof. I further insisted that I needed an email and he wouldn't agree. I insisted to speak to a senior member and when he put my call through to him he had a different story to tell. He told me that the card payment was declined and it made me furious. He should have atleast rewinded the conversation recording before speaking to me. I made it clear to him that you are giving me contradictory reasons and he told me that previous advisor is a new staff and he didn't give me the right reasons. Finally I made him email with refund confirmation while still on the phone. Now I am on a ticket hunt again. I am furious that so much time and effort in searching and booking has gone into waste due this utterly ignorant company."
Bunch Of Scam Artist. Do Not Book Through OPODO
Unverified Reviewer
"Absolute bunch of scam artist. Im fuming. Paid in full for flights and baggage. Looked on itinerary for our flight details which have come up but No baggage. I phoned Opodo company to explain situation to resolve this case with no satisfaction. Found the people I called on other end of call centre a disgrace and unsympathetic with no experience whats so ever. Will have to pay again for our baggage . Please do not use OPODO for any holiday. Having read the reviews on other sites its the same case. Also think that there are some false reviews posted by OPODO employees"
"I don't even want to give is rubbish company 1 star. They charge the fee to me twice, so far its taken 4 call (2 from Thailand)and countless emails and no refund. The customer service Is appalling. I receive emails entitled Dear and then get told to check my bank. (duh really) Awful company"
"Opodo = Online Scam I have booked a flight for my wife through Opodo and got an email saying that the flight with BA was Confirmed, they even sent me the flight number. On the day of the flight at the airport, she got told that she was not on the flight. BA said that Opodo "reserved" the seat but then they have 24 hours to pay or the seat will go back to sale again. Looks like they "Forgot" to pay, but BA told my wife this is happening a lot with Opodo. Called costumer service and it was a waste of time, no one even apologised. Emailed them a few days ago but also, radio silence. Would not recommend using them."
"Booked my ticket and final price showed up on the page (right before I hit purchase which means that includes everything) was different than what I got charged. So contacted them about the issue and here is their response (there was no alteration of any kind, I just did a purchase) : "Any alteration that is permitted on a booking (cancellation and/or modification) will be subject to handling fees. Opodo reserve the right to charge you a service fee of 23.17 EUR to cover the administration costs incurred by Opodo. These charges do not include any charges imposed directly by the Travel Supplier. Details of these charges are contained within our Terms and Conditions which customers accept prior to choosing to complete their purchase therefore, regrettably, Opodo are unable to consider a refund of the handling fee you have been charged." So replied and asked that firstly, this service/administrator charge should show up on my final payment, and secondly, send me the link to this terms and conditions of yours you are claiming, and this is their reply: " We would like to inform you that as we have already advised you regarding your payment in your previous email. However, we also advise you that we are unable to provide any page for this and for this you have to check your payment page at the time of booking that what is the charge for making the booking with the Opodo website so that you will be able to see your service fee for your booking. Moreover, in order to properly assist you regarding the subject indicated in your message, please contact us on one of the following phone numbers: UK Telephone 0800 026 5911 (toll free number) Australia: 029 1995336 ($0.07/min) International calls: +61 29 1995336 " They just trying to put you in a loop for their sloppy business."
"Worst customer care ever - inexistent. They changed the return flight company without any question or warning for some unknown charter operator. Unbelievable."
Opodo is rated 1.09 based on 47 reviews