Natwest Reviews

16% of reviewers recommend Natwest

Tell us how Natwest made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
Over a week
"I’ve recently left NatWest after giving no notice, I couldn’t bare being an employee there any longer - in fact, I was highly embarrassed to even be associated with it! I’ve worked in 4 different branches and it’s an absolute shambles ! When I first joined NatWest I was also a customer and had 2 accounts with them, which are now closed and I am happy to be banking elswhere! From what used to be a good bank, somewhere along the line it’s gone terribly wrong! Too many changes, too many staff off with stress - it’s probably been one of the worst jobs I’ve ever have and I am so happy to be out of that place !! DO NOT BANK WITH NATPEST !!!!"
Are you Natwest? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"They closed down small helpful local branches. I had a text message at 10:30am to say my account was overdrawn by less than a Pound and I would have to pay the money in by 2. I only saw the message while I was having lunch at 1, and it took 1/2 hour to drive to Swindon to deposit the money. I was expecting the only branch open for miles to be wonderful, with all the helpful staff from closed branches. Instead, I walked in and saw a bank with no counter. Just a couple of girls who looked like school leavers standing around with clip boards. I asked one of them how I was supposed to put money in without a counter, and she started talking to me sarcastically telling me to do it myself with the machine, as if she was getting off on trying to make me look stupid. Then when she put money in machine, it took the money and broke down, so I had to wait for that to be fixed until my money went in. Then I said that as it took me 1/2 hour to get there because of the local branches being closed and with the machine breaking, what will happen about me being less than a Pound overdrawn after 2? She didn't know anything and was still speaking to me sarcastically, saying I will have to look online tomorrow. I asked if I could speak to another person who knows what they're doing, and eventually found another person who told me I wouldn't get charged for under £10 even though I was only overdrawn for 1/2 a day. So I said if the first one could have told me that basic information, I wouldn't have been stressed, and first one was still sarcastic, saying I was stressed anyway, when I wasn't because I went in expecting a bank to have useful people who know basic information. I don't know why they're pretending to be a High Street bank, when they seem to employ the cheapest people they can find without proper training who can't do anything"
"The worst bank ever !!!!:((("
"On Wednesday, November 14, 0101, I paid a check to my Natwest account via Post Office On Saturday, 24, 21, 018, anxious, I called the Bank to find out what's happening because I do not see a deposit or check in my account !!! I heard that it will be Monday 19, 21, 018 On Monday I heard that the cash will be on the account on Tuesday 20, 21, 018 On Tuesday, neither cash nor a check, and after another phone call to the Bank, I heard that it will be 26,11,2018 !!! Yes Natwest keeps your money by paying his own bills !!"
"The worst bank in the world. My daughter was 19 when she was scammed. The bank treated her like a criminal and they completely dismissed that she was 19 years old and treated like she had many years of experience in banking. In addition to this it is virtually impossible to get to speak to anyone and then you’re batted back and forth from one department to another without getting the support you need. Completely disgraceful. Thank goodness i’m with First Direct and have been for 23years. The best there is in customer service"
"The service was horrendous in the Ashford branch. 35 minutes to get a statement, plus the staff were incredibly rude and unwilling to give any idea of waiting times. Absolutely disgraceful."
"I recently had a problem with an item I'd bought, it wasn't a scam but, communication was very poor, the problems with the issue created a perfect storm but the online staff member was very helpful and unassuming, and resolved my issues brilliantly, as a result I was sent an item promptly and recieved another refund, I'm very happy thank you, even with online banking I felt reassured that I wasn't just another number thanks Chris!!"
"A joke from start to finish. They have done nothing but made every possible interaction with them the most frustrating, infuriating and needless obstacle. Online banking is total chaos, their customer support service (when the system is actually functional) is about as pleasant as being fed human excrement. Nobody seems to have the slightest clue what is actually going on, who you are, and how they could even begin to be of assistance. Steer clear if you value your sanity."
"I’ve been banking with NatWest for 10 years and they have caused me nothing but trouble. I wouldn’t bother. 25pound went missing out of my bank and they gave me 15 back but couldn’t seem to find the other 10. That’s not even half of what’s happened over the past 10 years. Joke this bank I will be switching over ASAP"
"NatWest was my first account too open since the beginning of secondary thereforever, I have been with them for ten years and all I can say is they are probably the worse banking company and do not recommend if you want very bad customer service and very long times to do transfers or receive it. They recently closed my account for no reason on Friday and I was trying to take my money from the account into my other one therefore, I called them up that Friday and they said I have to go into a branch to sort it, so I went the next day and I was told to call up CS (customer service) to get them to write a note on the system, allowing me too do this and when I called them up I was told the department needed to do this was only open Monday- Friday, so you can see I was getting very irritated by this now, so today is Monday and I called them to get the right department to do this and I had called them about three times with the long waits of 20-30 minutes, the call would fail and had to explain myself to different advisors the same thing. So I do not recommend at all and would suggest going with Barclays or Lloyd’s because, there branch has all their problems sorted there and not million of different departments to get one result by their fault in the first place."
"Had a current account with Nat West for 40 ish years,in July recieved a letter from the Nat west informing me that I had recieved a fairly large sum of money from someone abroad.I checked my account and there it was in my current account.I immediately phoned Nat West and said is this scam or a problem as I do not know the sender.I was told it was perfectly OK no problem and he wished someone would send him money. On Tuesday 23rd Oct I went to pay for an item in Boots chemist and was told my card was invalid ,I immediately went to my local Nat West they checked and said my account was frozen due to a transaction in July which was under investigation for fraud.The bank then phoned the fraud dept I spoke so someone called Sean (he refused to give his Surname) I explained what had happened it was obvious he didn't believe me ,,he maade me feel gulty and annoyed.I rerurned home found the letter and returned to the bank with it so they could send a copy.the following Day I printed off my phone calls and provided the Bank with them as proof of my Call to the bank..It is now 9 days and my account is still frozen,I need to pay some bills but can't even see my account on line.Fortunately I have some savings and am using them for fuel food etc .But supposing I had no other method of obtaining cash what would I do ? The bank ar usng bully boy tacticts refusing to discuss what is happening or how long my account will be on stop.I have taken legal advice and had it confirmed that it is the Nat West Bank who are responsible. One Star is too much I would give Zero if I could"
"Just basically don’t trust them anymore , to many issues not enough support"
"I think NATWEST is one of the most Appalling Banks I have ever dealt with. Used to be an excellent bank when I first opened account in the 1980s. Experienced staff replaced with inexperienced and incompetent staff. Their incompetency lead to a my mortgage rate agreed after meeting a broker not being implemented for a year! Had fraud on my account with name similar to a bank staff who served me (could purely be a coincidence and no insinuation to NATWEST). I was unable to pursue or ask questions because member of staff in question had left the bank together with the mortgage broker who served me but failed to process my paperwork. I was made to feel a criminal and stupid and the way they dealt with it was poor. Recently (October 2018) a cheque was returned due to in sufficient funds when this was not the case as I also had a big overdraft not even used. The member of staff admitted there was no reason for the cheque to be returned to me. Tried to complain to customer services but line was disconnected. Renewed my mortgage rate in September online (not trusting to deal with staff), sent off documents with cheque for the fixed rate charge. I received a letter weeks later informing me that due to the high volume of work they were unable to process my cheque and asked that I pay by phone! Subject Access Request I made in May was eventually released in August. 2 months out of the 30 day timescale under GDPR. Still have account but moved by daily activities and savings to another trusted bank. I would not recommend NATWEST to anybody. It is very unfortunate that since RBS took over NATWEST their services has continued to deteriorate to the point of me as a customer mistrusting them. NATWEST does not appreciate loyal customers and in my opinion cannot be trusted. Given the ratings here it is obvious I am not the only one. NATWEST DO NOT ACCEPT FAULTS, DO NOT LIKE TO APOLOGISE, WILL TREAT YOU LIKE A CRIMINAL BEFORE A CUSTOMER, WOULD IGNORE YOU WITH NO EXCUSE IF THEY CANNOT HELP OR CHOOSE NOT TO. NATWEST ONLY NICE WHEN BUYING A PRODUCT. Lloyds and other banks much better and treat people more like humans. I sincerely hope one day this bank will be restored to its full glorious days of the NATWEST we knew and admired in the 80s."
"Natwest are absolutely awful and their customer service is rubbish. They had frozen my account without giving me reason leaving me without access to my money for a week then 2 weeks later i recieve a letter saying they will be closing my account again without reason. What is more annoying is the fact that everytime i rang, everyone i spoke could not tell me what was going on so i was either told to go to the branch (even the branch were unsure what was going on) or wait for them to ring me which never happened. I am absolutely fuming at them for making me feel like a criminal and making feel like ive done something wrong when i have not done anything. i wouldn't recommend anyone ever joining their branch as they do not appreciate their loyal customers who have been with them for more than 10 years. It is very unfair what they have done."
"It's no wonder Natwest have 1 star on Trustpilot. I used to think that Northern Rail were the worst company I have ever used, that was until I applied for a mortgage with Natwest. Never have I known such woeful incompetence at every single stage of the mortgage process. We were delayed by over a month (and are still delayed) due to multiple instances of consultants writing down very simple pieces of information down wrongly. We paid for a home-buyer's report over a month ago and it still hasn't been done due to Natwest first getting the estate agents address wrong, then getting our address wrong, then getting our phone number wrong, then the surveyor that Natwest forced us to use cancelling on the day of the appointment! During each of these failings we were never once informed by Natwest what was going on, and we only found out when we called up ourselves. We are now at the stage where we have to call Natwest every day just to get some simple information out of them, this always takes around an hour as they take so long to answer the phone. This is no way to treat paying customers, especially those you are entering into a multi-decade relationship with. Sort it out. "You're ruining moving day for us"."
"Worst customer service I have experienced. Telephone banking is 30 mins on hold on,unto get through to someone who doesn’t know how to transfer funds."
"Phoned customer services to report my card lost and for a new one to be sent out. After answering a variety of security questions which included date of birth, home address, full name, account number, list of recent transactions, I was refused a new card as I couldn’t answer the final security question ‘ the exact amount of a recent transaction’ I was then told to go to my nearest branch which is 10 miles away as our town branch has closed. So now I have to take time off work to do so, very inconvenient and just outrageous customer service."
"Apalling customer service"
"Absolutely awful bank. Most of my friends and family agree."
"Natwest frozen my account alongside my mum's who is on her last stages of life with out no explanation at all... then after 4 weeks write to me still no explanation saying take your money we are closing your account"
Natwest is rated 1.77 based on 171 reviews