Matalan Reviews

79% of reviewers recommend Matalan
02AM
2AM

Tell us how Matalan made you happy

Over 7 Days
Over a week
Returns & Refunds
refunds process
Difficult
"Online ordering long wait for goods to turn up. I ordered an item for a holiday only to realise it may not turn up in time. Within minutes I telephoned customer services to change to next day delivery to shop and pay the extra charge. I couldn't do it over the phone and had to place a new order. Fair enough, duly done. I then get a notification that my first order is no longer in stock and they have refunded the money 7 days wait for that. So what about my next day delivery to shop order, same item. I've been advised its on its way? strange that considering my previous order of less than 5 mins is now out of stock. I wait with baited breath to tell me it has arrived at the shop. Matalan you need to get up to speed and furthermore your Sutton staff are a miserable bunch and less than helpful"
Are you Matalan? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Will take your money then tell you almost a week later that product is sold out COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE, horrible experience, do NOT recommend I am planning a surprise bachelorette party this weekend and now 8 girls will be left without the specific outfits to celebrate our best friend before her big day. long story short - i placed the order, next day delivery, was confirmed, money taken out of my account - it didn't get dispatched. Kept getting vague answers everytime I called but no one said the order was not ok. Only to get an email now, 8th May that the order IS CANCELLED BECAUSE THE ITEMS ARE SOLD OUT. WHAT??? Full email: I placed an order last week, 2nd of May and paid for next day delivery. The order was meant to get to me (London address) on Tuesday. Yesterday I checked the order progress and discovered that it hasn’t even been dispatched yet! I called twice yesterday (7may) and no one could tell me anything about my order. They had no idea where it was, or when it would be dispatched, not even if the items existed! I keep being told the matter was escalated but NO one is picking up as the ONLY WAY to contact the delivery place is by EMAIL and not phone call – that’s ridiculous! To have to wait 24h-48h for an email reply from your own team on an urgent matter. I was also told twice that I would be emailed and informed of the progress and I never did. I keep having to call and chase your team and am being told nothing. I find it incredible that no one has any idea where these items are and why they are not getting dispatched. The website advertised them as in stock and available for next day delivery. This is incredibly poor service. from Matalan automated mail: Thank you for shopping at Matalan. We are sorry to inform you that the items you ordered have sold out. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause."
"Ordered 2 items on line and paid cost plus £3.95 p&p. Parcel arrived with completely the wrong article. Phoned customer service and asked them to send out correct order. They refused and said I would have to travel to Falkirk and exchange for the correct goods! I was furious - if I wanted to travel to Falkirk I would not have ordered online and paid £3.95! I cancelled the order and will never use Matalan online again. It was their mistake and they were unwilling to rectify it. What kind of customer service is this?"
"My wife and I had to go to Matalan at the Rushmere centre in Craigavon to buy a suit for the funeral of a close relative. I am disabled and am basically wider than I am long. We were dealt with by a lady called Saoirse, who could not have been kinder or more understanding of our situation and are requirements. This is the best customer service that we have received in a very long time. We will use this branch from now on."
"Cortonwood branch. Love the shop. Hate cashiers having a conversation with each other whilst serving, SO RUDE."
"Would not honour online discount, cancelled order, however they continued to send out and took money, been over 2 weeks still no refund, no compassion from customer service... dreadful service"
"Ordered on Thursday at 7.30 in the morning paid the £2 extra for next day delivery to the store (should have arrived Friday) went to the store to collect on Saturday to be told it hadn’t arrived. Called customer services who said they would investigate and email me, no further contact and still no package! Very disappointed in the service"
"Went into hartlepool store yesterday wow what a difference, the store looks fab easy to get around, lovely stuff on all departments and staff very proud of there new store,was in there from 10am and could not be served till 10.30 chatted to girl behind the till really enjoyed my shopping trip and got everthing needed in one shop."
"The staff are always so helpful and do all they can to help you"
"I’m am disgusted with the way I was spoken to today in my local matalan store. I wanted to return some bedding that I had only taken the pillow case out of to discover that is was extremely poor quality and all threads hanging off it. Only to be told that I can’t return it as it had been opened even though it was all fine. Then she proceeded to tell me she had worked there 20 years and no one has ever managed to package bedding back up. This may sound ridiculous but to be spoken to like I am stupid and I can’t return this poor quality item to a well known store is beyond me"
"The Darlington store is great staff were so friendly. I'm having my first baby and the lady at the till gave me some very good advice on what bath to get. I order online and collect in store most of the time and it is very convenient and excellent value for money. The store is well set out too and lots of choice in clothing especially for all ages."
"Ordered a load of men's clothes online on the Saturday and received them Tuesday morning, good communication from the company regarding items and shipping."
"Super duper shitttt service manager the fatty stupid lady is so so rude and on the top staff is so rude"
"Service is always so friendly no complaints about the store whatsoever"
"I made a complaint about falsely being accused by your store manager. I had paid for goods he failed to see this. It was all confirmed he was wrong. I made a complaint by email they offer £10 compensation. Complete joke of a customer service department. I’ve now sent 5 emails and made 3 calls to speak with a senior manager. Absolutely no reply and customer services claim they can’t put you to a senior manager. They simply ignore you when you make a complaint I’ve only scored one because it won’t let me score less. Never had such a bad experience and the fact they ignore me is dreadful. I’m left with one cause of action to take legal action against them. I told them this and they still don’t make any effort to contact me. Total and utter disgrace. I for one won’t be buying from them again"
"Unable to use a refund voucher, staff are very unhelpful. Will never shop here again, friends and family also. Disgusting company."
"I am absolutely disgusted with the way Matalan have treated me. An unauthorised purchase was made to Matalan through my account, I informed them as soon as I realised (the order hadn’t got to the store yet) they said they would cancel the order an issue me with a refund. I didn’t get a refund so phoned back about a week later. They not only didn’t refund me they let the person collect the goods from the store and now after speaking to them many times are not taking any responsibility. I have been made to feel that I am responsible (their exact words were “it’s not Matalan company that are responsible for this fraudulent transaction” yes I know that but you let a criminal walk away with your goods after being informed of the situation. I have spent 3-4 hours over the last 2 weeks trying to resolve this with no answers. I am absolutely disgusted with the behaviour of such a big company, surely they should have something in place so this can’t happen, but every time I try and ask how this happened I get fobbed off. Can’t stress enough how rude and ignorant the customer service team were to me and how frustrating it was trying to explain the situation numerous times."
"The service when picking up my order from the Leicester today was very poor. The customer service assistant had no customers skills whatsoever. She made no eye contact, snapped at me when she spoke and seemed totally disinterested in what she was doing. It seems such a shame as some of your products are very good but this is not the first time I have encountered this abrupt attitude when collecting an order from this store. So please can we have some eye contact, a smile and a genuine want to please instead of the fed up look and the general impression that most of them would sooner be somewhere else."
"Rude staff forgot my card,pushing me to get app on phone.said she didn't have me on computer she basically couldn't understand me because she was foreign been shopping in matalan a longitme I had to ask how much it was!rude"
"Shopping xmas eve i was looking for present for my elderly dad asked a member of staff for help,she was helping another customer as soon as she had helped him she came looking for me, she gave me some ideas found sizes, i got everthing i wanted in the one shop, thank you Pat great customer sevice."
Matalan is rated 4.13 based on 1,483 reviews