Matalan Reviews

Matalan have a Customer Happiness Grade of C. Customers love their prices, delivery and customer service but are unhappy with their returns process and refunds. Full Insights

83% of reviewers recommend Matalan
Telephone

How would you rate Matalan ?

Louise Dart
"Very happy with the curtains I brought. Nice quality for a good price."
Rachael Beech
"Lovely chairs, great prices and fantastic customer service!"
Karen Murphy
"Very happy with the service from Matalan Direct and with the quality of furniture ordered. Easy to assemble at home and quality better than expected."
"Everytime I have ordered with Matalan the orders are delayed. The online service is very poor. I have decided to take my purchasing elsewhere. They even send an automated response if you email customer service saying orders are delayed no reason why it must be the norm for them to provide a poor service. The overseas customer service team is also very poor."
How would you rate our prices
How would you rate the quality of our products
"Went in Leicester Beaumont leys store to return a top. Was exchanging for 2 pairs of pj's worth £12 more than top. Didn't realise that they had 14 returns policy, it had been 16 days. Women behind till was extremely rude. Kept banging on about 14 days returns policy, even though I never questioned it just said I was unaware of it as what other shop has a min of 28 days returns these days. Many do now according to her. After mins of waving her hands around at me, tapping at some worn out piece of paper cellotaped to counter. Went to get store manager, who was as rude, with the addition of compete arrogance. Still waving her arms around telling him I didn't understand, he repeated the same 14 day refund line. I told them to give me the top back then and you can stick the pj's. He then decides to say I can exchange the top for pj's but can't have my money back. I never asked for my money back else why would there be 2 pairs of pj's on the counter. She knew I was exchanging and I was accused of not giving her chance to explain. She had ample time. Both had the hump because they had to come out from the back and serve. When I told the manager I had been in 10 days beforehand but as they had a sale on the queues was stretched down to one end of the shop, and I couldn't of physically stood in there that long especially with the heat as no air con. Was told by manager "They have to stand here at the till in it, so I should have done". with no regard as to whether I had any physical illness or not (Which I do). When emailed to head office, took a week to respond. Was told email would be sent to area manager and they would look into better staff training. What a load of rubbish. You can't train people to be polite. You can't get people to lose arrogance. Matalan has lost one good customer!!"
"I ordered a suitcase online, it’s arrived with marks on the front and the back I rang customer service but they were very unhelpful, finally spoke to someone who asked I send photos which I did, they finally responded after me chasing several times saying they couldn’t see the marks, the marks were clearly visible in the photos but they refused to admit they could see anything - fuming"
"Damaged item arrived from an online order (torn duvet set). Emailed - no reply. Emailed again - no reply. Called; kept getting cut off. Called head office and they put me through to CS, who told me they can’t aend our replacement products...even though they are a customer service department. I had to send a photo, but I didn’t get a reply so I called again. Spoke to a lady who said she could replace the item, then she said she couldn’t, then she said she’d escalate the complaint...all I wanted was a replacement duvet. Now I have an email saying I’ll get a refund... painful experience."
How would you rate our delivery service
How would you rate our prices
How would you rate the quality of our products
"Ordered click n collect online and expected it within 5 working days as promised (even tho there is a great big notice instore saying it only takes 3) as my item arrived to late I went into my nearest store to get my money refunded only to be told that my item had been sent to another store which was 2 buses away and I would have to go there to get my refund,after speaking to the man in charge who told me his manager was not in that day and he explained again that NO refund would be given unless I went to this other branch he eventually gave me a number to ring whereupon if contacted would give the said refund,it would have been helpul if he had told me this the first time I spoke to him instead I waisted a total of 40 mins in this store for nothing,my complaint is 1. The way it was handled 2.my wasted journey 3.the item not arriving in time n 4. The way the young assistant standing behind the senior one seemed to think it very funny n was smirking all the time. I frequently use Matalan and I expected better."
"Ordered a dress in June to pick up in store it when I went in to check if it was there they told me it had been collected even with out my order number not sure how so rang customer service got a refund so re ordered it to be told 14 days later it’s still in transit and they will refund me wot a joke of a company"
"Today I bought a pair of white shoes with gold buckle strap over foot style flip flops they seemed comfortable. When I got them home I cut the cord on them to try them on as I walked down my hallway my feet farted on every step I took. I now have to wait up to a week to see my £10 I paid on card, why do you sell such utter rubbish. Your Chinese factories do not test shoes on real feet . Women laughed at matalan regarding the defect I see the humour but I feel robbed, you have lost a customer in me I will never shop in Matalan ever again. You are deceitful to your customers I now have £10 less and no product to shoe for it, its disgusting."
"Goods still not arrived but being asked to review. No answer to customer services phone line, or response to my email sent days ago. Money taken from my account, nothing to show for it!!"
"Looking to buy a sofa and bed for my daughter. Was told that we could not sit on or try before we buy? Would never purchase anything from this company again"
"my problem is with click and collect,i ordered two shirts and a top in the sale last week, had text on Tuesday to say my items were ready for collection, went up to Merthyr store but my parcel/ order number was not the items I ordered. after 20 mins at customer service, a lady got me one shirt, had to have an alternative shirt, my top was out of stock, I was disgusted as click and collect supposed to be quicker, did email cs but haven't had a reply, the lady that tried to sort it for me said this has never happened before but reading these reviews it obviously has. I for one wont be shopping online at Matalan again."
"I bought a dressing gown and on getting home found that the tie belt was missing. I didn't want to go back to the shop so I emailed and asked if they could post me a tie. They replied with apologies for the mistake saying that unfortunately I would need to go back to the shop for an exchange but they were sending £20.00 in vouchers for my trouble. What a great response."
"Click and collect no problems"
"Disgusted with the customer services! Have returned an item on 12/06 and tracking confirms the item was received back on 14/06 STILL NO REFUND!! Have emailed customer service team twice now with no reply, after trying to call about 20 times with no luck getting through and the phone just going dead I finally managed to get through only to get a very rude person who then proceeded to hang up on me! I would advise NEVER ordering online with this company and i personally will never shop with them in store again either! Order no: 27416282 - if someone would like to actually refund what i am owed!!!!"
"All in all everything I purchased was as expected, both in fitting and aesthetic, though I will say that "wide fit" doesn't count for much in the way of shoes from what I can gather. You definitely get your monies worth in what you buy. Shall most certainly be shopping there again!"
"great value for money"
"On the 17/06/18 at 10.43 am I ordered 2 tops on click and collect next day delivery.payed 1.99 .so ordered before 4 pm cut off .i assumed they would arrive in store today 18/06/18 they didn’t"
"I'm very satisfied with my purchases good quality at an affordable price."
"Lovely friendy store(Hartlepool)Lady on customer sevice Monday around 3.15 sorry didnt get her name is so helpfull,always goes out of her way to help."
"very happy brilliant shop and very friendly staff"
"Your Lack of choice for plus size. Regardless of whether they are trying to diet etc there are many women who are a size 16 and above. I am a 20 but wear 22 for comfort. YOU used to have an excellent choice. not now. I spend over 1000 a year on work clothes and holiday clothes. so i shop elsewhere. Im 53 but look like im in my 40 s im not frumpy. im sexy. ! i want nice clothes modern . and Good quality. not look like im frumpy and aged 10 years. i dont want to look like im a teenager but i like classy. You should take a look online . you are losing out to a big audience."
Matalan is rated 4.27 based on 1,378 reviews