Hattons Model Railways Reviews

of reviewers recommend Hattons Model Railways

Tell us how Hattons Model Railways made you happy
Many emails, many promises, to cancel my details and remove the account. NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE, and Nobody cares.
Bought a kit from Hattons which was sent to me with the wrong instructions. 5 weeks later they have still not provided me with the correct instructions!
Not very impressed at all I'm afraid. I dropped by one afternoon to have a browse and was disappointed to find an almost empty space. The latest refurbishment apparently, though this was the same the last time I was here a couple of years ago. It's all well and good to say that anything can be brought out from the stock room but people like to browse at their own leisure. Bit of a pain if I want a Metcalfe kit or some paint and want to see a few examples. I don't shop online and much prefer to visit a model shop in person.

I was disappointed to overhear the shop assistant Mark (according to their staff page) making derogatory remarks about other staff. I fail to recall the exact words but he seemed to be pleased to not be working with "the idiots" for a change. I'm sure plenty of other people would value a job in the current climate more than this ungrateful twerp.

So is Hattons worth visiting? Not for me in a traditional sense. If you don't mind the clunky system of looking on a computer, asking for items and waiting for the staff to bring them through then you might be okay. Think of Argos about 15 years ago. It's perfectly fine if you shop online.
Re my earlier review I have still not received any response to my enquiry to sell a "used" item. I have an un used Atlas 6999 O gauge turntable which I can only presume they don't want to bid on
I personally delivered quite a few Bachmann and Hornby carriages I no longer use to Hatton’s in Liverpool on the 4th September and was assured that they would be valued and a credit sent to me within ten days. I’m still waiting for thee reply three weeks later. Very disappointed with their service and will not be using them again.
Accepted a valuation of £30 for my preowned items and returned them via Collect + on 9/8/19. Sent e-mail chasing cheque on 19/8. Hattons replied on 20/8 saying they had a back log. Chased again via e-mail on 28/8. No reply so phoned on 29/8 to be told that person responsible was in a meeting!! Promised to ring me back. Particularly annoyed because the £30 was to offset the purchase of a preowned item for £65 which arrived very promptly.
Long standing back order for Bachmann Atlantics, you do still not have them in stock; I have now obtained them from another supplier who had them in stock. See my letter of the 4th January 2019.
Package lost in courier system. When I telephone the Hattons customer service agents, they are generally unhelpful and obstructive. All the information provided by Hattons from their tracking agent to date about the fate of my package has proved incorrect. I am now out of pocket as a result of this experience and will not be using Hattons again.
Pre Owned Department

Sent several boxes of OO Gauge locomotives to pre owned department for sale, in response to an Advertisement in Garden Rail Magazine.
Advertisement stated - "Trade in with Harttons for immediate payment on the day that we receive your goods - We pay straight away"

After 5 working days from receipt of items by Hattons I have still not received payment for the items sent.

I have sent several emails and telephoned. The company is unresponsive to phone calls and is choosing to ignore my latest emails.

I am on the point of contacting Trading Standards for resolution.
Rang Hattons this morning to enquire about couplings on a loco I was interested in. Wanted to know if they were compatible with Hornby and Bachmann. Just got back into model railways after a gap of 15 years and believe me a lot has changed in that time. Could I get a straight answer to my question? NO. Amazed they are still trading if this is an example of their customer service.
Previously sent the wrong item, and made it so difficult to return I'm stuck with. I give them a 2nd chance they send me a described as pre owned like new Evening Star with broken tender with glue marks and on top of that it doesn't work. I will never use this shonky operation again.
Had not used Hattons for some time due to a postage issues during my last experience (their website info was wrong; they didn't honour it...I was out of pocket and item arrived damaged and delayed because they decided to use an inferior courier to the one I had selected and paid for). Gave it another go, and lo and behold, they did it again. Paid for Special Delivery, plenty of time before the cut off, 20 hours of so in fact. Item didn't arrive when due and Royal Mail proved that Hattons had missed the cut-off for posting. Hattons stated that they would "refund me the postage", but no, a partial refund at 40%. I'll not bother again for a while, if at all. You're really starting to lose it now and with so much cheaper competition, I hope others' leave in droves. I'm glad I paid with Paypal!
Hattons were once great when they were in Liverpool and Ron Hatton ran the shop. Sadly they are in the Arse end of nowhere in Widnes theres no transport to the new shop and they are Abysmal and hopeless. I am free of them now I deal direct with Hornby, Dapol, DJ Models, Oxford Rail, Bachmann and Peco so go direct and STUFF HATTONS!
I ordered a train and had a lovely email telling me my order has been accepted and was being dealt with.
A week later I had heard nothing about despatch so I emailed them to ask what was happening. As this was a Christmas present I was horrified to be told that they had ‘thought’ the item was in stock, but it wasn’t.... so my order had been cancelled and I was given a full refund....

1) I had to contact them to find out what was going on.
2) There was no attempt to offset my inconvenience, and lost week pre Christmas, by offering me an alternative or even trying to retain my business.
3) On asking about an alternative I was offered free postage - big deal!

I bought a better new replacement on eBay

Very disappointed - how can stock management be that poor in such a large company and this day and age - to take orders and not have the item in stock - and not know - THEN, when discovered, not contact the customer immediately to offer apologies and an alternative..... very poor.

Will not be using them again.
No point in Pre-ordering with Hattons, they do no stick to their own conditions of sale as specified by their Emails, sold my order on.... thanks Hattons will go elsewhere in future.
Ordered items on a Saturday and they were not posted until the following Thursday, yet they claimed that they were in stock.
Will never buy from this place ever again.
Hattons Model Railways is rated 4.75 based on 349 reviews