Halfords Autocentres Reviews

Motoring
Tyres
MOT & Servicing

Tell us how Halfords Autocentres made you happy

"Ripped off, incompetent employee's"
Are you Halfords Autocentres? No one is perfect. Reply to this negative review and show your potential customers that you value the feedback Halfords Autocentres receives and that when things do go wrong you do your best to put things right. Reply Free
"I took my car into the garage at Pontypridd this evening and the service was excellent. The team went above and beyond to assist me, even though it turned out to be a minor issue with my car. Top mark guys. Keep up the good work."
"ANONYMOUS ... This company needs investigating on their unethical UPSALE tactics took in for a basic service after having a mechanic double check everything before hand ... received the call with up sales in the region of £650.. Unethical wont be using Halfords ever again"
"Took my fiat panda in for free mot...they failed quoting an eccesssive oil leak being a danger to other road users with dripping oil. They also said an indicator bulb was discoloured which was another failing point. Took the car the next day for another mot to a reputable garage which passed it and said the oil leak was only slight and never even mentioned the bulb"
"Booked a MoT for 9:40am on the 04 Dec 2014 at the Cheltenham Swindon Road. The time is now 10:33am and the manager is just lying about a car been currently done. I am looking through the clear glass window and my car is being ignored outside. Why offer MoT when the garage can’t keep up with their timings. The manager is inept and totally clueless. Wish I didn’t bring my car in here. The garage phone has been ringing for over 5mins and all members just ignored it."
"I called into the Blackpool branch of Halfords autocentre because i had a pop up note on my dashboard which said the battery was not charging. The operative checked my car straight away which was great. He told me the battery was fine but the alternator was shot and needed replacing at a cost of over £300. I thought this was reasonable and booked the work for the following week. In the meantime i looked at the reviews and decided to get a second opinion from a reputable local garage. Now this is where it gets interesting !. The second garage said the alternator was absolutely fine but the battery was shot. I had a new battery fitted and guess what, all is fine and back to normal !. I will leave readers to make up their own minds."
"Do not use Halfords own Windscreen Wipers. They was worse than the ones I took off! I have given them a week and no better. Sent a video to Halfords who was not interested. Cannot find the receipt but went in store with the bank transfer but no good. I will buy these from the internet from now on, seems the £10 cheap ones are miles better than this. £29 wasted!"
"AVOID!!! I booked a job for two tyres and brake pads on a Monday. Went for fitting at Meadow branch in Leeds on the Friday at 8.30am. Got a call at 8.58am to say ‘there’s a problem, your brake discs are at the minimum and need changing’. Had MOT one week before and they were not flagged as even ‘advisory’ work which was needed soon. I challenged this as I had 27,000 on the clock and expected around 50,000 before new discs needed. Told ‘depends how you drive’. I’m a very steady driver. Anyway, I approved the work, thinking it would cost more later and while the wheels were off it was a quick job. Got a call at 1pm saying they had a ‘supplier problem’, as they had delivered the wrong tyres, and asked if I would like them fitting or the ones I ordered. I said I wanted the ones I ordered. They said the driver would have to go back to York (about 40 minute drive) and the car would be ready about 4pm. I rang them at 3pm and they said the tyres hadn’t arrived yet. Then they rang at 4pm to say the car was ready. I insisted on having the removed pads and discs when collecting the car and measured the discs when I got home. New discs 25mm, minimum is 23mm, and my removed discs were 23.7mm. The MOT guidelines on Gov.uk state that unless heavily pitted or damaged, a car should not be failed at MOT simply for reaching the ‘minimum’ measurement. On my usage I had another 18 months before they needed changing and the replaced discs are in very good condition. I took the discs to my dealership and an engineer told me he wouldn’t have replaced them if presented to him by a customer. The discs cost and extra £212 plus vat, so £254 more than I needed to pay. I contacted Halfords by email and asked what criteria they use to determine replacement brake discs are required. I have still received no reply six days after writing, and they promise to respond after 5 days Maximum. In summary, they clearly rang me immediately they got the car to agree more work which was completely unnecessary and then proceeded to be completely incompetent and in no rush to get the job done. I got the ‘free brake pad’ promise, but it’s not worth anything because they will simply accept the car when the job is booked and then manufacture some more work being needed to bump up the bill. I considered going to trading standards with the discs and information but when I read the other horror stories on www.reviews.co.uk I decided not to waste my time. NEVER use Halfords Autocentres, they’re scammers and robbers."
"I put my car in for a service after it came up on my dashboard , they said I needed the most expensive for my car which I thought ok if it a full service , then I got a phone call saying I needed a lot more things doing on my car , I’d only had the car a few months so my partner gave them a ring about the new parts the car needed , they straight away said bring it back , before that an independent mot inspector looked over my car and what a surprise all the parts were fine and within regulations my partner also took it back so they could also check as they were concerned about their reputation again they said everything was in order .... this is a disgrace it would have cost us over 600 pounds for nothing , never trust Halfords york , their answer was it advisable information they give , this is a lie I was told in their words the car needed this work . Please think carefully before using this company"
"Paul & Andy were very helpful when I took the car in for it's MOT to the Crewe branch."
"Should really be a 0 star review! Booked in car at Halfords for MOT and they lost the locking wheel nut key! Needed 2 tyres changing and couldn't do it! Nothing but denial from them! had to take my car to another testing station, pay for another MOT, another key and had a delivery to my home returned as a result of not being to get home in time at a further cost of £25! When I got to Halfords to pick up the car, they had lost the MOT papers also! UN FU**ING BELIEVABLE!!!!"
"Popped in to my local Halfords at Biggleswade to get my bulb changed was very impressed with how Pawel and George changed my bulb on my headlight. It was a difficult one to change but they never gave up. Thankyou Very much appreciated"
"had my car mot done at Strood branch. as always were very helpful and are very thorough."
"Be very careful before bringing your car to have the MOT. I have my car failed on the test, I agreed to change all the required parts in order to get the certificate and after leaving my car for 2 days for repair, they damaged another part (not related to the major defects) and don't want to take responsibility for the damage. Basically, the garage wants to charge me almost £200 on top of the bill. I refused to pay and they refused to give me the MOT certificate!"
"After many years going to my local Halfords auto centre Blackpool, as been the worst ever. Do no use any offers as they will try to tell you their are problems with your vehicle. Completely rude manager who thinks he can pull the wool over your eyes. There are plenty of garages I have been too over 30 years of driving and this as got to be the worst. (Do not waste your time)."
"Helpful staff, efficient service thank you"
"Thanks to the guys today at the Basildon workshop although you was running a bit late your customer service was brilliant and made our visit very pleasant , very knowledgeable guys . Nothing too much trouble . 2nd mot with them and will def go back ."
"Redditch halfords autocentre disgusting customer service woman loud and bolshy manager not much better"
"Went in on my bike and made an appointment for my car for the next day at 12.00. Took car in next day on time . They looked at it and told me what repair it needed So I was keen to hand over the keys to the car and get off home. I was then told to take my car home and when they where ready for it they would call me with a slot. also they needed to get parts. Drove home then i got the AA out for a opinion. The AA man said it should not be driven except straight to a garage for repair. So Halfords caused more damage to my car by not keeping it. This was the Chichester Branch. From leaking thermostat housing to blown head gasket. had to take it to another garage as Halfords did not call me back. Had to buy new car instead of the repair that needed doing. As the head gasket repair was quoted by Hendy Ford Chichester. at £3000."
"Dover Autocentre - Took advantage of their MOT offer. Some work required, gave us a quote. Contacted my independent local garage, used for years, quote over £100 less, over 30%. Returned at designated time and date for retest to be told we were too late, despite 15 mins before appointment. Very rude, matter of fact staff. Sarcastic when my wife asked if she could come back one lunch time as was told 20 mins required for the retest, apparently they have their lunch too. Given positive review previously but will never return here"
Halfords Autocentres is rated 1.50 based on 233 reviews