Green Motion UK Reviews

02AM
2AM

Tell us how Green Motion UK made you happy

Courier, Own Driver
"AVOID AT ALL COSTS When you book their cars, the prices look too good to be true. They are! When you return the car, they will ALWAYS find some small, virtually invisible scuffs (which they ignored on checkout) and charge you hundreds of pounds for them. Luckily, I had insurance which reimbursed me. Don't just take my word for it, there's a Guardian article on their dodgy practices (easily googled) and understand that these stories are just the tip of the iceberg. Spend a few extra pounds and go with a reputable car hire company"
Are you Green Motion UK? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"JAN 2018 I booked a car using their website for 3 days (Fri-Sat-Sun) and paid 96 pounds with full insurance. On the collection day at Birmingham Airport branch, there was a warning regarding weather so I sent them an email inquiring that if I collect the car on Sat, Is there a possibility of a refund for 1 day (Friday only). My query was forwarded to the rental agents and they said I will be notified via email or call. Tried calling few time but no answer. So I went to collect the car on Friday evening. Upon presenting the booking, I was told that my whole booking has been cancelled and processed for a refund as requested. I was baffled as I never asked for a refund I only inquire about the refund and refund was for 1 day only. I was never sent a notification or expected to be refunded. The advisor Katie and Store Manager Jordan assured me that the 96 pounds will be 100% refunded to my account within 14 days. I needed the car so I made a new booking this time for 2 days (Sat and Sun). I asked for similar price and similar car I paid for my first booking but with additional driver this time. They upgraded the car with no extra charge and quoted me 125 pounds with full insurance. I took the car, used and return with no issue. After 2 weeks I checked my statement, there was no refund for the 1st booking made. So I called customer service for a follow up. Customer service would take note and promise to get back to me but never. I emailed the customer service. After series of calls and emails, they told me that there is nothing to be refunded as the money from my 1st online booking (96 pounds) was used on my 2nd booking made in store. I was shocked as that was not as agreed by the Store Manager and the advisor. Customer service said that they cannot do anything what have been said in store. All they can see in their system is that the money from 1st booking was used in 2nd and as the 2nd booking was paid in store using chip and pin method, it automatically validates the sale and their terms and conditions. When I checked the rental agreement they did sneakly added the 1st booking voucher onto my 2nd booking and made me pay extra 125 pounds. So in total, I paid 221 pounds for 2 days. Unbelievable. Never using them again. Completely misguided and mislead by the Store Manager Jordan and the Advisor Katie."
"Awful. Charged £300 for a tiny scratch. Avoid these shysters."
"AVOID - absolutely dreadful"
"Abysmal. Barely recognisable scratch above door handle. £364 including vat and various fees. PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS"
"Summary: After a 4 day rental in Iceland, Green Motion accused me of TWO paint chips and charged me ISK 225,361 (USD $2,252) to repaint FOUR car panels. Details: I rented a Fiat 500 with Green Motion through Holiday Autos for four days in February for a total rental cost of $102. I declined all insurance because my credit card provides a "loss damage waiver" on rentals so Green Motion required that I be charged a damage deposit of ISK 290,000 (~$2,900). I was a little taken aback by this request, but obliged anyhow. Before receiving the car I was given a "Check Out" form documenting any damages prior to me receiving the car. There was nothing unusual with this form as it included a scattering of dots all over the front and side of the car indicating small paint chips that you would expect on a car with over 35,000 km (~22,000 miles). Upon receiving the car I made sure to perform an inspection as they did just require a $2,900 damage deposit. As I was scanning for obvious dents and scratches I noticed what appeared to be 2 after-market paint protectors near the back wheel-well. Unfamiliar with what exactly this was I snapped 2 pictures of them. Other than that nothing appeared unusual. When I returned the car 4 days later I was asked to wait in the lobby as the woman checking me out went to perform a check-in vehicle inspection. After no more than about 1 minute she returned and claimed to have found 2 paint chips. My first thought was, "yeah, you document paint chips all over this car in the original check-out documentation," but apparently those random dots were suppose to be actual chip locations. I asked to see the chips that she was accusing me of and she actually couldn't find 1 that she had marked, but after an awkward few seconds of searching she found a different one to accuse me of. I reviewed the 2 pictures I had taken, but unfortunately they did not include the area of the car these chips happened to be. What I did notice though were dozens of chips completely undocumented in their original "check out" inspection. Needing to catch a plane, I didn't have much time to debate the issue. I was told they would hold my $2,900 damage deposit and refund me within a week after they send the car for an estimate on the damages. After about 8 days they got back to me with their damage estimate: ISK 225,316 ($2,252). The estimate required removing 4 panels, repainting them and re-installing them back on the car. The 4 panels included the front fender, the driver's side door, the back fender panel and the roof. This estimate was determined after sending about 10 pictures and a 1 sentence description of the damages to a company named, Bilarettingar GK. ehf. The exact description of the damages in their own words was: "STONE CHIP ABOVE FRONT WHEEL ON DRIVERS SIDE AND ANOTHER STONE CHIP BEHIND DRIVERS DOOR SEE PHOTOS I NEED CAPAS REPORT FOR THIS." I was told they don't actually perform these repairs until they take the car out of service so if the car already had dozens of chips on it by their own admission, how many people are they charging to repaint the same panels? Feeling taken advantage of I began reaching out to any agency I could to help with this matter. I first emailed Green Motion's Customer Service and the company I made this reservation through, Holiday Autos. Green Motion's Customer Service forwarded my complaint on the the Iceland branch which just sent me a dismissive response. Holiday Autos complained about being too small of a company to investigate damage claims. I then filed a complaint with the European Consumer Center (ECC), but was told I had to be a European National to receive their help and even then they had no power to make companies accept their claims. They referred me, however, to the Icelandic Bar Association for additional help. I wrote to the Icelandic Embassy in the US who referred me to The Consumer Association of Iceland. The Consumer Association of Iceland claimed, "Green Motion should not profit from these damages, they also have to proof that you did cause those damages. You have the right to get an invoice for the repairing cost, not just an evaluation of the damages and an estimated repair cost. Also the VAT should be deducted from the charges because Green Motion is able to deduct the VAT in the tax settlement in the end of the year." However, once again, because I was not European they could not represent my case. The Icelandic Embassy then referred me to a District Court Attorney in Reykjavik. I had a choice to make, I could either pay an attorney to continue to fight this company or I could just collect all the paperwork and file it with my credit card and get reimbursed. What Green Motion did is so wrong and they shouldn't be allowed to continue to do this to others. A couple weeks ago I finally received a full reimbursement from my credit card, but I promised Green Motion I would never let this go. I'll continue to share my experience often on the internet so others don't get taken advantage of the way I was."
"£1800 repair bill for a 5 pence sized dent on the lower part of the bumoer that wasn't even caused by me!! Atrocious company that are only there to rip you off. A quick Google search backs up how many people have had to deal with these highwaymen. Shocking customer service, abysmal company ethics. And the employees are paid extra if they find damage on your car!! AVOID AVOID AVOID!! https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/car-hire-workers-were-paid-to-find-phoney-damage-a4050411.html"
"Re: Car Registration GD18 ECJ Rental 25-27/1/19 Dear We picked this car up on 25/1/19 at 7.30pm approx.. It was dark and raining and the car was dirty. We checked the car to the best of our ability and reported some wheel rim damage and a very small mark on the passenger front door and rear door to Marie in the office. Marie was with another customer and told us to go ahead and she would mark the damage on the records. The next morning we checked the car for any extra marks and we could see nothing. Of course we did not have the benefit of a very bright torch that shows up even the smallest hairline scratch. On returning the car at 5pm on 27/1/19 the car was scrutinised by a Green Motion agent with a very bright light that seems to show the tiniest marks not visible without the very bright light unless pointed out by someone – who knows what they are looking for perhaps. He also had the benefit of a sheet of lined paper – which seems to be used for showing the tiniest of indents on a vehicle – especially when one knows where to look… There was a very faint hairline scratch on the bonnet of the car that was detected by the Green Motion agent who was checking the car. It could not be seen by the naked eye and was only visible when the dirt was wiped off the car and the bright light shone onto it. We did not cause any of the damage to this car that we are being held responsible for. On reading reviews for Green Motion it seems this has happened to other people who have hired cars from you too. It appears that damage is not marked on the car reports on collection and when the car is returned the customer is billed for damage that did not occur while they had the car. We feel that this is a “set up”. The damage (minimal) was already on the car when we picked it up but was so small that we simply could not see it in the light of day. In fact the damage could not be seen by the naked eye unless illuminated by a very bright torch. And with the use of the lined paper. However on returning the car the Green Motion agent seemed to know exactly where to look for this damage. We are disputing the claim that Green Motion are making against us. If not already done please refund my credit card with the £400 deposit which was held on 25/1/19 without further delay."
"A very dubious company indeed - I'd avoid at all costs. I paid online for full insurance for the three day hire, but when I got to their office, I was told this insurance was invalid. So I had to take out their cover for a ridiculous £34 a day - which was more than the cost per day of hiring the car itself. The shuttle bus is unreliable and costs and extra £5 to get you to their office. Terrible business."
"Absolutely disgusting company. I needed a car at short notice, and this was the only place that had cars. I had read the reviews, so I was of course concerned about their ways of making money. Because of a family tragedy I had to get going as quickly as possible after collecting the car. I found 4 faults with the car which surprisingly enough weren't on the damage list. The person who checked the car with said that it was good that I caught the chips in the windscreen, as they were definitely something that would have been billed for. I thought I had found everything wrong with the car, so I set off. When I returned the car, there was a miniscule "dent" on the passenger side rear door. That was one that I unfortunately missed. I had driven the car about 150 miles in the 4 dag rent, and always had off street parking. The cost for the miniscule dent? £290. Stay away from this company"
"We hired a car to go to a funeral. They were so unfriendly and suspicious that we knew we had to deliver the car back in top notch condition and that they would try to scam us out of money. Before we returned the car, we cleaned it (in daylight) and inspected the whole thing. Not a scratch. Upon returning the car, we had to wait for a while. We took pictures of the entire car - no scratch. When the GreenMotion guy came and inspected our car, HE FOUND A SCRATCH. We showed our before pictures - that obviously showed NO SCRATCH on that spot (yes, he made the scratch on the spot) and made us pay £300. We contacted GreenMotion and BVRLA to help recover the charges, but they said as we already paid the fine (which they pressured us into doing) they couldn't help us. I have no doubt that they deliberately created a scratch there and then. I even have pictures to prove it. But still got conned out of £300. They should be arrested."
"Scammed me for non existant damages. Produced fake invoice."
"This company - it is trouble and fraud !"
"This company -it is trouble and fraud !"
"What an awful experience - I will definitely say I will never use this company again. Now that is not to say there was anything wrong with the car, that was fine, it was the distinct lack of service and being forced to take out their insurance which was disappointing. We flew into Manchester airport and following the instructions given tried phoning for the shuttle service to pick us up and take us to the hire office. Well we tried for about 15 minutes with no response whatsoever. Becoming concerned we saw that in the case of no-reply we should ring the main office number - they were shut (the time was about 8pm). A little stressed we were going to try to use another company but kept trying the number just in case. Then after a total of 20-25 minutes someone answered the call oblivious to the worry and inconvenience caused. He arrived another 20 minutes later, told us to load our suitcases in the shuttle bus, and drove us to the car hire office. During the 5-10 trip he spent the whole time talking to, we assume, his wife on the phone via bluetooth. Unconcerned he had the conversation on loudspeaker so we were preview to the whole situation. At the office I presented all my paperwork, licence, passport and visa card. I was then told my card was no good because it was a visa debit and not credit card. All my cards are debit or prepaid cards which I was informed meant I could not hire the vehicle. I have never had a problem ever using them before but he went into a 5 minute spiel about why I couldn't use my card. His options were go back to the terminal and use someone else or pay an extra £96 for 4 days insurance. The fact that I had paid for (and I showed him) that I had fully comprehensive cover already with Zurich was of little interest and was also dismissed. By now we were all a very stressed (I was travelling with my wife and two children) I paid the money (luckily I had just been paid). Anyway the car was fine and we returned it four days later. On going into the office to hand in the keys there was a huge queue with people mumbling and complaining how long they had to wait. A woman at the desk was shouting and very upset because they wouldn't let her hire a car because her renewed licence was less than two years old. The staff were not interested and dismissed her pleas leaving her with no way to reach her 93 year old mother (she was in the shuttle bus with us on the way back to the airport). The shuttle bus arrived to take us back to the airport after about 20 minutes and the driver kindly open the boot and told us to "stuff our bags in the boot" while he went and had a chat with his mates in the office. Anyway in all, as I say, it was an awful experience. I liked the idea of using a "green" car hire company but this is not anything like what I had hoped for. 1-star for lack of professionalism, politeness and service."
"Do not use Green Motion. They charged £135 for the tiniest mark on the alloy which couldn't really be seen with the naked eye and was probably there prior to rental. Refused to pay but they threatened to take the entire deposit of £1200. This is extorsion and the company should be shut down!!"
"DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. This is a scam. They are trying to charge me over 2,000 USD for two tiny scratches that I think were already on the car. Scam scam scam scam scam!! Google this company and find hundreds of stories like this. I booked a car with them at Keflavik in Iceland, had no problems with the car until trying to return it. The company started claiming I scratched the car. They went outside and found two tiny scratches on the car (one was covered in dust that had to be wiped away to see it....which makes it seem like it had been there.) Unfortunately I did not take pictures when I got the car, so I was willing to pay for the damage. When I got home from Iceland, I got Green Motion's "third party quote" for the damage, valuing it at over 2,000 US dollars. What? I could have made bigger scratches with my pinky nail. I should have read other reviews and avoided this nasty scam of a company!! I am not the only person they have done this to. I am fighting the charges but beware and choose any other company for your car rental. This company should be shut down."
"Run away as fast as possible. They are horrible and they will charge you for damages, which were on the car from the start. Do not use them, its my best advice."
"Flew into terminal 4 at Heathrow and after a 14 hour flight had to catch a train to terminal 3 and then pay 10 GBP for my family of four for the Hoppa bus as there was no pick up from terminal 4 - expensive and a faff. I have an annual policy to cover CDW/theft etc. At the rental desk I had three male members of staff all try to tell my that my policy would not be adequate in the event of loss or damage of the vehicle. Interestingly my husband was not subjected to the same intimidating tactics when he had previously collected another car from them, also refusing the extras. This meant that I was in the office for over an hour. I have now been issued with a penalty notice charge (which I have already settled!) and Green motion want to charge me 84GBP for receiving a PCN. I understand that a fee is payable, however this to me is daylight robbery and at least twice what most companies charge. Bus drivers and staff checking the cars in and out were lovely but this is not enough for me to ever consider booking with this company again. Avoid at all costs!"
"Juist been hit for full caution on a car returned in perfect condition out of hours, and no expaination. Avoid this company save yourself the grief. Now time to tackle with my own insurance company."
Green Motion UK is rated 1.38 based on 24 reviews