Gousto Reviews

of reviewers recommend Gousto

Tell us how Gousto made you happy
Similarly I ordered a box and paid £24. I unexpectedly received

another box of food the following week which I had not ordered but which Gousto had deducted another £24 for. I have just spoken to them and so far they have refused to return my £24 saying that I had subscribed...which I had not. Then I was told I had been sent an e-mail which told me that if I didn't decline they would choose another box of food for me and send it!!!! On reading those e-mails I discovered that this is in fact what happened. How is this right? I believe this to be a fraudulent and deceitful way to conduct business and will be contacting trading standard if this is not resolved to my satisfaction.
In the last few weeks they have lost the plot, shame were once a good company!
I had been with them for three years.

The first year was great - zero issues.

In the second year I started experiencing missing ingredients - though not too often.

In the third and last year I would be lucky to receive a box that didn't have missing ingredients, 'substituted' ingredients (most of the substitutions were terrible too and were obviously a cost cutting measure - for example, substituting cranberries with raisins - which they claim doesn't affect the dish?!!) or damaged/out-of-date/poor quality ingredients.

At first I thought this was an isolated thing, but after talking to friends and checking the internet, it has proven to be universal. I guess their corporate policy is to cut corners to reduce costs and increase year-on-year profits.

You can tell they deliberately lowered the quality too, by the change in their compensation system. You used to get human interaction, a fair bit of money as compensation, an investigation as to the failure and an apology. These days it's an automated 'here have £2.00 for us ruining your meal'.

In the end I just left. It's far less hassle, less stress and cheaper to go out buy your own fresher ingredients.

RIP Gousto - they were once a good company...
Gousto were amazing for me and my family during lockdown from march. However, months and months in (Jan 2021), we've had problem after problem! boxes been thrown at the door so food being unusable and sachets of liquids bursting. Defeating the object if us not going into the shops. our box was cancelled the day before the delivery date which was 3 days before christmas! Unfortunately, I'm cancelling my subscription today as each week i'm not satisfied with something. I'm not normally one to complain but this has been months and no matter how many times i've tried to speak to them, the issues haven't been solved or explained.
The convenience is unbeatable, having pre-portioned ingredients arrive on your doorstep without going to the shops is a definite plus. The recipes, on the whole (and with some tweaks), are pretty tasty.

However the growing list of negatives and Gousto's complete indifference to resolving issues properly has finally forced us to cancel.

- Some of the meat is absolutely awful quality. Particularly the chicken breast/thighs and beef strips. Clearly come from cheapest-of-the-cheap supplier. Recently, more often than not, the meat is scraggy offcuts and falling apart. Can look more like some leftovers from a petfood factory. Also had issues with unsealed packets, gone off meat, poor taste etc.

- Questionable "sustainability". Excessive use of plastic sachets and overpackaging.

- Very variable veg quality, from mouldy peppers to tasteless tomatoes and soft carrots. Potatoes and onions are often ridiculously small (onions more like shallots and potatoes the size of a plum).

- Pretty much every box will have some damaged ingredients. And for stupid reasons, such as spring onions and herbs being chucked in underneath a load of potatoes and tins.

- For beginners the recipes are a minefield and most have some sort of issue. Expecting raw potatoes to oven bake in 20 minutes, cooking components in strange orders, omitting key ingredients (but then adding unnecessary accoutrements).

- The photos used for promos and the recipe cards are misleading. They clearly do not use the ingredients straight out of a box. For example the beef strips look like nicely trimmed steak when in reality you get something more like dog food. Herbs are always leafy and recipes suggest chopping the whole pack - in reality you get 30% woody stalk.

- The final nail in their coffin is the complete and utter indifference when you complain. All you get is an automated part-credit (only a couple of quid), or a customer service agent who does the same and promises "to investigate". Then the same issue continues to happen week after week. I genuinely believe I never had to pay for a full price box due to the volume of issues / credits applied.
I had a message saying it was delivered...but it hasn’t been. So no meals from Gousto over new year....brilliant!
I also always seem to get a late delivery slot, between 5pm-7pm and it’s always delivered after 7pm which is really annoying!! Really fed up now and will probably cancel and try hello fresh instead.
Fresh product often quite poor in quality, with dead herb leaves and dehydrated limes etc. The meals generally have great flavour but the biggest downfall is the amount of plastic! Each individual portion comes in its own plastic wrap to which I agonise over every time I drop it in the bin. They could offer a reduced price box for those willing to eqip themselves with the typical ingredients, such as soy sauce, garlic and onions etc. This would greatly reduce the amount of waste. Alternatively they could seriously look in to bio degradable packaging to win over the eco conscious customers that they are otherwise missing out on.
Really poor care for the customers. Sadly the majority of my boxes had an ingredient or ingredients missing. They seemed to expect it and would graciously give you a couple of quid credit which was supposed to make up for the recipe now being impossible to make. I also had two occasions where my box failed to turn up at all which was pretty frustrating after a long day of work having no food and then having to go back out to do the shopping. This was all down to Yodel and their horrendous service. I asked Gousto several times to use DPD instead but they refused because of cost. It’s a shame really that they care about the profit more than their customers and actually in the long run it would be cheaper and better for business. I’ve gone back to HelloFresh anyway who use DPD and care about customers.
My account was on pause and they sent a box saying my account was reactivated and basically said l was lying food that was in the box we don't eat after many phone calls gave me 30% off. I told them to close my account and never wanted to hear from them again customer services quite rude.
Two months later l get a letter informing me l owed them £34.99 from a box in May. I rang to say how could l owe this as they had my card details up until July they gave us some flim flam about using a different e-mail address an account from a couple of years ago l am so fed up going to pay this under duress and how l looked at it the 10% they give you off your first 3 boxes they claim back . Please be aware keep a log of how many boxes you receive and how many you pay for. I do not recommend Gousto to anyone and would have put zero stars if it was possible
As a long term customer, have been disappointed with the quality of the ingredients recently. We’ve had a lot of vegetables that I would consider past their best, herbs that have been mushy on arrival, and in the past 3 weeks missing ingredients. We’ve been offered money back but this hasn’t materialised.
I looked at the Gousto website to see prices for a family member, did not press check out yet 4 meals are being delivered to me today. Contacted customer support who did not help at all and told me I placed an order when I know I did not. Why auto checkout if you have food in your cart? I was just price checking and now it is going to go to waste. Also when I send further emails to them it just says "Sorry we did not receive your email"
We have used Gousto for the past few months, having boxes most weeks up to the lockdown. Since then we haven’t had boxes due to the reduced menu. Yesterday, I noticed that a payment was pending to Gousto and an order had been placed with three meals we would not like. I contacted Gousto and was told that chefs choose the menus if you don’t (even though that hasn’t happened in the previous four months at all) and it was too late to cancel. I didn’t receive and email to tell me a box was on it’s way. I requested this be sent to a charity or organisation where vulnerable people could make use of the meals but was told it couldn’t be changed, even though delivery isn’t scheduled for another two days. Very disappointed as previous meals were on the whole very nice.
As a loyal customer of Gousto since they started trading who orders a box every week, they have decided to take on a huge number of new customers and dump their loyal ones with no delivery slots, well I hope your new customers will continue with you when this is all over !
The box arrived today without the full ingredients for ANY of the meals. They offered to credit my account £5 but after looking into realised that it would cost more than this to replace the missing items! That of course is if I can get them at all. Looks very much like they can’t cope with the increase in demand (had a look at the previous reviews) so I wouldn’t recommend if to you need a reliable service because you are in isolation.
Another company who doesn’t look after their loyal customers. Very disappointed with you service and when you need your local customers back, I hope they shop somewhere different.
I have been using gousto for nearly two months, having recommended lots of people I was informed today that my account was out on pause which I did not do! And now I won’t be receiving any more boxes at this time with everything going on! Great the whole reason I signed up to this was because I’m heavily pregnant and I know I would always have healthy food in for my family! And now I don’t have anything, yet all the people I have recommended are enjoy there boxes I’m here with NOTHING! I must also say my last box I was also kind enough to delay my box by 2 days to help them out with this busy period! Not good customer service atal!!!
I have also tried to sort this via email, live chat and phone!
Have been gousto customer for well over a year...
Back from holiday and no deliveries available... expected loyal customers to be preferential regarding deliveries.... obviously not the case....
Will remember this when deliveries return to normal. You are just a number to them.....
I have cancelled my subscription with you on my account and you have still sent me a box!
There is no one to speak to or email. What am I supposed to do?
This was my first box, all but two of the tins are dented, one of the lemons has a large poor spot at one end, and the box only contained two small potatoes, whereas the recipes detailed that 14 potatoes were required in total. Therefore I will need to go out and purchase more potatoes, which defeats the point of having complete meals delivered. Not a good first impression at all.
I am shocked by the number of bad reviews. We have nothing but good things to say. We love it so much that we get Gousto for all 7 days of the week. It is so delicious, wonderful quality and works out cheaper than what we would spend on groceries, with loads less waste. We love it. I never want to live without Gousto.
Gousto is rated 3.01 based on 381 reviews