Gousto Reviews

16% of reviewers recommend Gousto
10PM
10PM

Tell us how Gousto made you happy

"We have ordered 5 boxes in total now from gousto, the first didn’t turn up, swift refund so let’s move on. The next turned up but was missing a key ingredient, again a small refund. 3rd box came no issues, hurrah! 4th box didn’t turn up, complain get told we will get a discount.... no discount applies to our 5th order. 5th order also didn’t turn up! Failure on 4/5 boxes. If you are after an easy, hassle free way of midweek dining then this ISNT for you... it causes more stress, we pay for late night deliver as we are both at work all day so when the box doesn’t turn up by 10pm it is then too late to go to the shops. Telephone lines close 7:30 so you can’t even talk to someone on the day. They then don’t respond to emails so you call, they then don’t honour their agreements (missing discount codes) and their refunds are straight to their online accounts so you are hooked in with no way of getting your hard earned money back. Fail Gousto! Hello Hello Fresh!"
Are you Gousto? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Broken items in box, food out of date, items had to be thrown away. Customer service did not reply to email or any contact. Avoid this company. Looks like they are more interested in the idea of their brand than actually following through with the company ethos."
"Got conned into a subscription service when I thought I was buying a on-off gift. Customer service is very poor. Do not use this service."
"Took advantage of a sign up offer. I did not receive the food but instead received an emailing offering a discount on my future order. I'm not signing up as this company doesn't seem very trustworthy."
"I've been a Gousto customer for over a year now. I recommend it to everyone and I love it. The recipes are delicious and getting all the ingredients delivered takes the hassle out of meal planning and shopping. At £2.98 per serve it's well worth it for the time and faff I save. I've also reduced my food waste and my boyfriend now does a lot more of the cooking so it's a big win in my book! The subscription element of the service doesn't suit me as I have a busy schedule and I'm often out during the week so I've paused my subscription (super easy to do you literally click one thing when you're signed in to your account). And I order "one-off" boxes as and when I want them. Usually about 2 per month."
"I ordered my first box with 3 average meals. In a week time I noticed that £29.99 left my account again for another 3 meals. I believe I chose the 'one off option', therefore quickly checked my account to realise that they not only charged me for recipes that I did not choose or want, but it is coming in 3 days time and I cannot do anything about it. I straight away cancelled my account and requested a refund explaining the situation. Joshua out of the customer service team answered me saying that it was well explained what I signed up for and that I received an email to choose the new recipes, but as I did not choose anything, the chef went ahead and chose the new meals based on my preferences. He also said they are unable to give me a refund, but could give me 30 % back as a good will gesture. First of all: I chose a one off order, therefore no it is not fair to go ahead and charge me every week for something that I did not sign up for. Also, when I got an email to choose the meals I thought it was just them trying to get me to order again. I would have never imagined that they have the cheek to choose recipes for me and go like: since you did not choose, here you go. And the cheekiest of it all is him saying 'based on your preferences'. My first box only consisted meals that are vegetarian and pescetarian, because that is what I am. Then they chose spaghetti bolognese and chicken curry and say it is based on my preference is a bit out of order and very disrespectful. I will not take the box, thank you very much. They can keep my money, if they need it that much, but no thank you, I do not want to receive something that I DID NOT ORDER. What should I do with meat? Highly unprofessional. If the box is attempted to be delivered, I will refuse to take it. Disgusting customer service. It is a shame because I might have given it another go at some point, but now I will tell everyone how ridiculous of a company this is."
"I ordered my first box with 3 average meals. In a week time I noticed that £29.99 left my account again for another 3 meals. I believe I chose the 'one off option', therefore quickly checked my account to realise that they not only charged me for recipes that I did not choose or want, but it is coming in 3 days time and I cannot do anything about it. I straight away cancelled my account and requested a refund explaining the situation. Joshua out of the customer service team answered me saying that it was well explained what I signed up for and that I received an email to choose the new recipes, but as I did not choose anything, the chef went ahead and chose the new meals based on my preferences. He also said they are unable to give me a refund, but could give me 30 % back as a good will gesture. First of all: I chose a one off order, therefore no it is not fair to go ahead and charge me every week for something that I did not sign up for. Also, when I got an email to choose the meals I thought it was just them trying to get me to order again. I would have never imagined that they have the cheek to choose recipes for me and go like: since you did not choose, here you go. And the cheekiest of it all is him saying 'based on your preferences'. My first box only consisted meals that are vegetarian and pescetarian, because that is what I am. Then they chose spaghetti bolognese and chicken curry and say it is based on my preference is a bit out of order and very disrespectful. I will not take the box, thank you very much. They can keep my money, if they need it that much, but no thank you, I do not want to receive something that I DID NOT ORDER. What should I do with meat? Highly unprofessional. If the box is attempted to be delivered, I will refuse to take it. Disgusting customer service. It is a shame because I might have given it another go at some point, but now I will tell everyone how ridiculous of a company this is. Like someone else here said: Robbery at daylight."
"Ordered a box last night supposedly with 60% off. Checked my bank account and I've been charged full price. Contacted your customer services team via email and all my emails bounced. Finally managed to get in touch with someone and they have no record of my order despite the money leaving my account. No idea if the food is actually going to turn up or not, and the company don't care. Daylight robbery and shockingly poor service. Avoid at all costs!"
"Got some credit for referencing my friend. The credit had no expiration date, but they took it off anyway after 3 months. First they tried to convince me that I always knew the credit would expire. Then, when I showed them the email that they sent me saying otherwise they conveniently stopped replying. Too bad, I was happy to turn a blind eye to their many shortcomings (discussed in the many other negative reviews), but not this kind of shady behaviour"
"My box didn't get delivered, twice in a row. Gousto told me they'd issued a refund but did not, I suggested they provide me with some credit for the error, and Gousto then tried to avoid even giving me the refund. I attach part of the conversation, shortened slightly, with customer service below, so that you can see for yourselves how they dealt with it. After a whole hour, I got the refund and some account credit. James 8 Aug, 11:12 BST Chat started: 2019-08-08 09:05 AM UTC (09:05:20 AM) James: I haven't received a refund (09:05:25 AM) *** Renee joined the chat *** (09:05:29 AM) Renee: Hi James, your refund was processed successfully on the 1st August so it should be with you by now (09:07:52 AM) Renee: I would advise double checking with your bank (09:08:12 AM) James: could you confirm which refund you are referring to (09:09:24 AM) Renee: for £33.43 where you were charged twice (09:09:33 AM) James: this is not the refund i am referring to. i am due another refund after this one, because my box last week was not delivered, and that is the one that i have not received (09:10:19 AM) Renee: my apologies (09:10:24 AM) Renee: I'll be right back (09:13:25 AM) Renee: I do apologise for the delay in receiving this refund, it should be with you in 3-5 working days (09:14:30 AM) James: so just to confirm, not only have 2 boxes now not been delivered, and no discount offered on the late/non-delivery of these boxes, but in addition to this, the refund that i requested for goods that were never actually received was not processed, meaning that had i not been proactive in seeking this refund, it never would have even been received (09:15:35 AM) James: and in addition to this, on several occasions i have not been automatically provided with the discounts promised by the company for being a referred friend or referring a friend (09:15:49 AM) Renee: It was accidentally missed. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused (09:17:23 AM) James: i dont think accidentally mishandling customers money is a valid reason, as safeguards should definitely be in place to find this. (09:18:28 AM) Renee: I do understand your frustration and we will do everything we can to ensure this does not happen again (09:19:23 AM) James: that doesn't account for the amount of time i have spent talking to customer service trying to resolve these repeated problems, and every time i have spoken to somebody they have said they'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again. (09:21:05 AM) James: by not providing a refund you are in breach of chapter 24 of the consumer rights act 2015 under UK law, which means i am entitled to either compensation or a discount on further purchases. (09:29:24 AM) James: Is there any reason for the lengthy delay in response to my previous message? (09:30:36 AM) Renee: We are providing a refund in this case - it was a human error which has caused a slight delay in the refund being processed but it has now been resolved and the money will be back in the account shortly (09:32:41 AM) James: You failed to provide a refund on request. The refund would have never been received had I not realised and contacted you again, costing me even more time. You don't agree that this is absolutely terrible customer service and worthy of any kind of compensation or credit to my account? (09:42:31 AM) James: Again any reason for the delay in replying? (09:43:00 AM) Renee: We are just investigating, apologies for the delay (09:43:21 AM) Renee: We issued a refund of £33.43 28/07 and £33.43 on 01/08 so both should be with by now (09:43:28 AM) Renee: apologies for the mix up (09:43:52 AM) James: the refund in question was issued on 02/08, and I have the transcript to prove this (09:45:00 AM) James: would just like to note here that the number of refunds is a credit to how terrible the delivery service has been (09:48:20 AM) Renee: Yes that's correct, I have notified management of this and it has been processed. In terms if credit there isn't much we can do in this instance (09:48:26 AM) Renee: I do apologise (09:49:00 AM) James: so to confirm, you just tried to not give me the refund AGAIN, and you are now saying that you WILL provide the refund? (09:49:54 AM) Renee: There was a mix up with the dates but yes the refund will be provided (09:50:45 AM) James: And you are also saying that despite now on 2 occasions trying to prevent me from getting a refund that I am entitled to, you are also saying that you refuse to even provide credit to my account to acknowledge the significant inconvenience this has caused me? (09:52:15 AM) James: And you consider this to be an acceptable level of customer service? (this continued until they gave me some credit it acknowledgement of their mistake)"
"My box didn't get delivered, twice in a row. Gousto told me they'd issued a refund but did not, I suggested they provide me with some credit for the error, and Gousto then tried to avoid even giving me the refund. I attach part of the conversation, shortened slightly, with customer service below, so that you can see for yourselves how they dealt with it. After a whole hour, I got the refund and some account credit. James 8 Aug, 11:12 BST Chat started: 2019-08-08 09:05 AM UTC (09:05:20 AM) James: I haven't received a refund (09:05:25 AM) *** Renee joined the chat *** (09:05:29 AM) Renee: Hi James, your refund was processed successfully on the 1st August so it should be with you by now (09:07:52 AM) Renee: I would advise double checking with your bank (09:08:12 AM) James: could you confirm which refund you are referring to (09:09:24 AM) Renee: for £33.43 where you were charged twice (09:09:33 AM) James: this is not the refund i am referring to. i am due another refund after this one, because my box last week was not delivered, and that is the one that i have not received (09:10:19 AM) Renee: my apologies (09:10:24 AM) Renee: I'll be right back (09:13:25 AM) Renee: I do apologise for the delay in receiving this refund, it should be with you in 3-5 working days (09:14:30 AM) James: so just to confirm, not only have 2 boxes now not been delivered, and no discount offered on the late/non-delivery of these boxes, but in addition to this, the refund that i requested for goods that were never actually received was not processed, meaning that had i not been proactive in seeking this refund, it never would have even been received (09:15:35 AM) James: and in addition to this, on several occasions i have not been automatically provided with the discounts promised by the company for being a referred friend or referring a friend (09:15:49 AM) Renee: It was accidentally missed. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused (09:17:23 AM) James: i dont think accidentally mishandling customers money is a valid reason, as safeguards should definitely be in place to find this. (09:18:28 AM) Renee: I do understand your frustration and we will do everything we can to ensure this does not happen again (09:19:23 AM) James: that doesn't account for the amount of time i have spent talking to customer service trying to resolve these repeated problems, and every time i have spoken to somebody they have said they'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again. (09:21:05 AM) James: by not providing a refund you are in breach of chapter 24 of the consumer rights act 2015 under UK law, which means i am entitled to either compensation or a discount on further purchases. (09:29:24 AM) James: Is there any reason for the lengthy delay in response to my previous message? (09:30:36 AM) Renee: We are providing a refund in this case - it was a human error which has caused a slight delay in the refund being processed but it has now been resolved and the money will be back in the account shortly (09:32:41 AM) James: You failed to provide a refund on request. The refund would have never been received had I not realised and contacted you again, costing me even more time. You don't agree that this is absolutely terrible customer service and worthy of any kind of compensation or credit to my account? (09:42:31 AM) James: Again any reason for the delay in replying? (09:43:00 AM) Renee: We are just investigating, apologies for the delay (09:43:21 AM) Renee: We issued a refund of £33.43 28/07 and £33.43 on 01/08 so both should be with by now (09:43:28 AM) Renee: apologies for the mix up (09:43:52 AM) James: the refund in question was issued on 02/08, and I have the transcript to prove this (09:45:00 AM) James: would just like to note here that the number of refunds is a credit to how terrible the delivery service has been (09:48:20 AM) Renee: Yes that's correct, I have notified management of this and it has been processed. In terms if credit there isn't much we can do in this instance (09:48:26 AM) Renee: I do apologise (09:49:00 AM) James: so to confirm, you just tried to not give me the refund AGAIN, and you are now saying that you WILL provide the refund? (09:49:54 AM) Renee: There was a mix up with the dates but yes the refund will be provided (09:50:45 AM) James: And you are also saying that despite now on 2 occasions trying to prevent me from getting a refund that I am entitled to, you are also saying that you refuse to even provide credit to my account to acknowledge the significant inconvenience this has caused me? (09:52:15 AM) James: And you consider this to be an acceptable level of customer service? (this continued until they gave me some credit in acknowledgement of their mistake)"
"Disgraceful customer service. Charged me full price for 1st months boxes (should have been 50% off) then sent me boxes I didn’t order (at full price) even though I cancelled them when I realised they were coming. Hit brick wall with customer services (they don’t answer the phone even after 1/2 hr). Your order history disappears from your account. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY your bank/credit card details!!!!"
"Okay good but absolutely awful customer service. I was promised a refer a friend discount but they wouldn't allow it claiming that my account details were duplicated and implying i already had an account. They refused to give me the discount i was entitled to, and it took over an hour on customer services to deal with this as the replies were so slow and unhelpful. Additionally, one of my friends who uses gousto had a box arrive FIVE DAYS LATE and was not offered a refund."
"I have now been using gousto for 6 months, and have to say it has been great, never had a problem with service or skipping orders, the quality of food is of good quality. I have shopped at all the major supermarkets and it does not match the quality of meat, it certainly isn't pumped with water."
"Absolutely deplorable customer service. Paused my account as I was waiting for a new bank card and for some reason you can't cancel your account and remove your bank details without going through about ten different channels to request for them to cancel your account which they can also refuse. Shady. A week later I get an email that my box is arriving and showing me what's in - first of all I didn't pick any of this, I paused so shouldn't be receiving anything and they were trying to send me shellfish which I was extremely allergic to. I contacted them to explain and get them to stop the delivery (at this point the box hasn't even been put together and the delivery wasn't for another 5 days which meant another 4 days for them to cancel it and stop my box being put together) they said they could see I "tried to pause" my subscription but it's too late for me to cancel now because they've already told their suppliers that they need the ingredients for my order and it wouldn't be cost effective for them to try and cancel it... Are you kidding me. The payment was declined because my aced had expired yet they were still pushing this box on me and even said "don't worry we're still going to just send you the box then you have to pay as soon as possible" - seriously. So I hadn't even payed, I canceled it, I was telling them I could literally die from being near two of the main ingridents in the box, they DO have plenty of time to cancel my box etc... They just don't want to and are blatantly telling me they're going to force the box on me anyway and still send it then make me pay. No. I refused the delivery and made the driver take it away, they're currently still trying to make me pay and are threatening me with a debt collector. Customer service is slow and extremely rude, their policies are very Shady and they will keep your bank details even after cancelling your account, you can't just cancel your account without emailing multiple times and waiting weeks, every single box I had was missing vital ingridents that I had to go out and buy defeating the whole point. Terrible service, do not use and beware."
"All their meals have a sort of sameness about them. The quality of the meat, fish and chicken is indifferent at best and most of their veg, garlic, onions, coriander etc belonged on the compost heap best several weeks prior to delivery. Some good recipes, however, but spoiled by very sub-standard ingredients. Profits have their price...."
"They promise promotion for a month and then cancel it earlier. Ridiculous. Meals are poor (pasta rice and chicken all the time), repetitive menu, small portions. High calorie food while portions are small (no idea how they do that). Much worse than hello fresh."
"Unreliable service! I subscribed to Gousto as I was visiting UK for 6 weeks and use Marley Spoon in Australia and thought it would be similar. The 1st week 1 meal was missing a vital ingredient for a meal. The 2nd week was missing the main part of a meal, namely salmon. Cancelled subscription. The business model works well in Australia but this is a poor substitute. They need to improve their warehouse as people want the ingredients!!"
"Your meat is so sub standards it's such a shame as I really like gusto but i can't handle the meat being full of grissle and lumps Sad for a great company and a great business idea. Avoid the mince yuk!"
Gousto is rated 1.73 based on 37 reviews