Goldcar Reviews

9% of reviewers recommend Goldcar

How would you rate Goldcar?

22 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
Mark

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Goldcar in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"Booked a car at Tenerife South airport They took a £1420 deposit out of my account and only returned £1275.they don't answer emails.they charged my brother inlaw for insurance he didn't take out.save yourself the stress and money and book with any other company"
"SCAM! RUDE !NASTY"
"Never use Goldcar or any broker that put you in touch with them. (Argus Cars.) Goldcar Gran Canaria were blunt and rude and never explained half the information that we needed to know. (We weren't told about the fuel discount with Cespa or where to leave the car as they were closed on our return.) The Argus Car Hire website advised me to buy insurance for £25, (I knew about the extraordinary insurance premium that Goldcar hard sell to people. so I opted for that.) Goldcar said that this was pointless and I should purchase theirs for €130 or leave a deposit for, wait for it, €1100! (Incidentally, I wouldn't trust these snakes with €1100. Read the other reviews below.) And it had to be on a credit card which we don't have. We reluctantly paid €130. Then had to pay €100 in case we didn't return the car fully fueled. So all in all a £65 car hire turned into £65 + £25 + €135 + €100. Plus the car wasn't ready and we had to walk to two different location to pick it up ourselves. (With 6 cases) We had filled all of the documents with arrival times and flight details so it should have been ready. I swore that I would never use them again last time we used them, unfortunately, brokers due refer you to them and you don't know until you book. Stay away from them (and Argus) at all costs and find another provider. MONEY GRABBING COWBOYS"
"It is a scam I have used Goldcar twice and my dad once. Each experience has been one of dissapointment: - They arbitrarily accept or do not accept various international credit cards - They report cars as with no damages. Every time have we identified as many as ten damages when getting the car. - Most other people we have seen at the counters have been arguing with the customer representatives. Apparently, everyone seems to become angry when using this company. - They draw money from card instead of reserving it as all other companies do. - They forcefully and unfairly push extended insurance. - Taxes are not quoted in price - thus your price will be as high as when using other companies. - At the last visit staff was incredibly rude."
"I hired a car through Rentalcars.com as agent for Goldcar and opted for the special insurance. When I picked up the car at Malaga, the desk guy took my card which, I thought was to have holding deposit put on it, to find that Goldcar had deducted another special insurance ( around £85.00) I did not find this out until two days into my holiday and called their customer services who said that I could have had the holding deposit put on the card and to go to a local office to revert the payment. I am holiday so why would I want to drive all the way back to Malaga to do that! I have complained beyond belief but Goldcar just do not get it and keep referring to the contract which, was not explained to me at the desk and is also in Spanish! Do not use this company no matter what good deal you think you are seeing online through their agents they use. There is no doubt that you will have money deducted from your account."
"Do not book GOLDCAR from any third party sites as you get them for very cheap price including full insurance but once you go to the GOLDCAR desk to pickup car, they will play vital role to take insurance from them again for not blocking the credit card for 1250 EURO's. If you have 1250 EURO's get blocked, no issue with the confirmation from the 3rd party sites."
"The worst car hire company I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. They lie, bully and ultimately blackmail you into taking out the additional comprehensive insurance through themselves (which is twice the price of every other reputable car hire company), regardless of what existing policy you have. Avoid at all costs."
"We hired through Holiday Autos (who were utterly terrible). When we returned our hire car (because we didn't take the extra insurance), they went over it with a fine tooth comb pointing out the tiniest scratches and trying to charge us for them. Fortunately all the scratches they pointed out just rubbed away with my finger. A total joke of a company who just try and rip you off. AVOID"
Egi
"Great costumer service, good prices."
Andy McAllen
Verified Reviewer
"Terrible company, avoid at all costs. My issue with them seems just another to add to the growing list of complaints. Upon collection of the vehicle at Bordeaux Airport we were lied to and forced to choose between 100 euros of card deposit costs and no road assistance/insurance plus at least an hour wait to collect the car and return the car. The other option was to pay 144 euro to take the car immediately with road assistance/insurance which was double the cost of the initial booking. Upon complaining they lied again and said they can't even respond to my complaint because the email address which I used was not the one on the contract. There is no email address on the contract but regardless, the one I used to complain was the one used for the booking and the one given at collection of the car. Avoid these thieves and liars at all costs."
David Markall
Verified Reviewer
"""I had to buy a 30 euro priority ticket to get in a queue to complete the hire process or wait at least another 2 hours to be served. They have so many scams going covering fuel and insurance that it takes 20 mins of argument and refusal of their outrages prices to proceed with hire. You then have to wait again at the hire car for existing damage to be agreed. Total time taken 2.5hours. Beware of these bandits."
"n absolutely shocking experience and it looks as if it will be ongoing. Pisa Airport - The check in process was time consuming, maybe overall about 50 minutes from waiting to completion, although there were only 3 persons in front of me. E ventually I was given a very confusing monologue regarding mileage, insurance etc, after this I headed out with the deal that I had paid for to collect the car I had paid for. The offices at the pick up point were closed and there was no one about so I collected the car and drove back to the roadside lighting outside the car rental terminal to check it over. The almost new Audi A1 was a bit battered and bruised so I decided to see if I could get someone to confirm all the damage. The queue at the rental desk was larger than before and although I tried to speak to someone it was impossible and as mentioned the other collection area was un maned - i decided to take my chances. The car was great although the run flat tyre warning light remained on. On my return I filled the tank up at the airport as suggested and the car was checked for damage and fuel. A couple of days later I receive an email saying they are taking off more than 30 euros from my account for leaving the fuel tank half empty. I have 2 witnesses to prove this is not the case, one of them a well respected member of the UK police force used to dealing with crime. Following my initial phone call complaining I was told I would receive a call back, this never happened and I was told it doesn't happen!!. Now they want the name of the person I returned the car to in Pisa, the receipt from the petrol station etc and for me to start the complaint process by email - I'm not a complainer but COME ON! - Will be updated"
George Henderson
"Poor car with paint damage.When I arrived st Bordeaux had a long wait then told a €50 fine if car not full on returnbut as there is no petrol station in terminalnearest is 7 km away.Then pressured to pay for filling up.Disgusted.GH"
"I was charged for insurance I neither asked for or needed - I had my own excess insurance. This appears to be standard company practise with Goldcar. I was actually told that the amount was for the fuel deposit! Yes, they will even lie to customers in order to eke more money out of them. They will never have my custom again and I will tell everyone I know not to use them. Horrible company."
Still Ongoing
Unverified Reviewer
"Car was returned in the same condition as picked up but as the operative was not there to check , despite there only being 50 mins to the close of the gate there was no one to check.! she had worked so hard to get us to pay for extra insurance when we clearly had our own it was obvious that we were going to be made to pay!! We were charged for the car again,, damage to a mirror, which was incorrect having prepaid. the fuel calculation was wrong and despite leaving a deposit of 1500 euros the fiqures do not add up. What a scam, definitly not using this cheating company again!"
"I rip them off"
"Ordered and paid for air-con,but car didn't have this.Hard sell re extra insurance,even though we had our own excess policy,was told it would be useless by lady at Lanzarote pick-up desk in airport.Had to leave 11,00 E security deposit.Car was high mileage,noisy and scuffed.Fuel policy was good,however,being full-full.Altogether worst car-hire experience of many.Avoid this company!"
"Paid for a car and paid an extra 40 euros out of hours fee. When we arrived, as arranged at 12:30am, the pick-up desk was closed. They never activated the car hire despite all the paperwork saying it was confirmed. They never asked us for any further information and they claimed they didn't know if we wanted the car (it was booked and paid-for) as we never provided a flight number !"
"This company is a scam company. I paid for a week's hire and even paid the higher insurance rate to cover extra insurance. When my husband went to pick up the car he was told he had to put down €1500 as a deposit which had not been indicated when I booked the car. They refused to take it off our debit card and wanted a credit card which we did not have. Instead we had to pay an additional €125 insurance before they gave us keys to a car which is covered in dents and scrapes. Avoid this company at all costs. May seem a good deal but they are rubbish."
"June 23rd 2015. flew to Majorca having pre-booked a hire car with GOLDCAR. Stood in queue for 3 hours only to be told that the package I bought and paid for in the UK via JET2 did not include comprehensive insurance,We had to pay 117 euros for extra insurance. comprehensive insurance has a 2000 euro excess which you can insure against, surprise surprise for an extra £41.76 invoice also shows a charge of 8 euros for delivery of the car to the airport? and 11 euros for "C. Extra vehicle" also charged 96 euros for tank of fuel which they say will be refunded less what we have used but plus admin cost. please please please avoid this company at all costs"
Goldcar is rated 1.45 based on 22 reviews