Goldcar Reviews

9% of reviewers recommend Goldcar
6PM
6PM

How would you rate Goldcar?

"I booked a car & insurance via Ryanair. When I collected the car from Marseille airport the attendant told me the insurance wasn’t valid & I had to buy their insurance for Eur 217. I was short if time so had to go ahead with this. Goldcar customer care is no help & wouldn’t offer a refund. No idea how to contact Ryanair to complain. Goldcar were called out in Radio 4 recently & in a Sun article a few weeks ago. The Guardian also ran stories of people who have been ripped off but they just continue. Search Twitter for @Goldcar before you contemplate hiring from them. I wish I had. Sharp practice."
Are you Goldcar? No one is perfect. Reply to this negative review and show your potential customers that you value the feedback Goldcar receives and that when things do go wrong you do your best to put things right. Reply Now
"If I could give them zero I would. Car picked up in rain and seemed okay. On return they pointed out some small scuffs on the lowest point of the valance in an area that I would not have seen in the rain on the car. I know for a fact that I have not done this damage. Charged over 200 Euros for « repair » which will no doubt be charged again to subsequent hirers. The staff obviously know of this scam and find marks very easily!!!! Ask yourself would you hire a car from a company that has burly security guys near to the customer desk - no doubt because they get lots of irate customers who are being scammed as I was. Wish I had read reviews before booking!"
"Rented a car from Santander airport. The pick up instructions indicate that the Goldcar office is off site and you will met from your flight by a transfer service "at the Goldacar Meeting point". There is no such meeting point, only a general, public meeting point in the car park where no transfer vehicle was waiting. After a couple of phone calls we were transferred to the offices 40 minutes after we arrived. The company then started the hard sell on extra insurance - which I didn't want. They took a 1100 Euro deposit plus a 65 Euro payment for a tank of fuel plus a 21 Euro payment for refilling the tank - even though I said I would return it full. In other words, they charge you for the work involved in refilling the car even if they don't have to do it! The car reeked of cigarettes and a week's driving with the windows open did little to improve the awful smell. The car was dirty inside and out and had numerous small knocks in addition to the two larger ones indicated on their report form. The salesman said that they were not interested in small marks on the car but I strongly suspect that this story would have changed when I returned the car. I took photographs of all the panels and was a little surprised when a worker coming out of a nearby factory suggested to me that I take plenty of pictures - he had obviously heard plenty of arguments from angry customers. When I returned the car the salesman agreed that no further damage had been done to the car but he would not give me any written confirmation of this statement. He accepted that the tank had been refilled but would not refund the 21 Euro "fuel service charge". The only redeeming feature of the service was that he agreed to return us to the airport terminal in the hire car - thus saving us from a wait for a transfer bus."
"Picked up car from Girona and was charged €150 for damage to car hired 12 months previously. First I’d heard of it, was checked and given the ok last year. Very difficult to contact and unsatisfactory response. Requested policy info on charges, nothing forthcoming. Sent me form back which was signed by goldcar staff showing damage, but not signed by me. Won’t be using them again."
"Goldcar Faro are scam artists. They charged me over 100 quid for a ruined tyre even after I drove to the front door and had it signed off as having no damage. Without any evidence I have been unable to put in an insurance claim. AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!"
"Rented a car and filled it with fuel on return. They just emailed saying it was 8 euro short of being full which is rubbish. They charged me an additional 50 euros with no proof of this. Customer Services didn't want to know about it and hung up on me. Worst hire company I have ever come across. Will never use again."
"I have just returned from Madeira when I have just been ripped off by gold car, they said I could have an upgrade if I paid for full comp insurance, which I did, I had to return the car full on its return, the contract said diesel but when I opened the filler cap it said Un-leaded, I was 90% sure it was Diesel but decided to go to the gold car desk, they said they would sort it out and charge me for the Diesel, I have now been hit with a £78 bill which included a £50 fine for not filling it up !!!! I appealed the fine and it was said to be fair !!! wish I had put un leaded in now and screwed the engine DONT USE THESE HORRIBLE PEOPLE"
"I was sold insurance I did not need, and returned the vehicle with a full take, Goldcar, then stated it was 7 euros short and fined me 50 euros with additional 7 NEVER USE AGAIN"
"Good service good clean cars easy pick up and drop off."
"This is the worst rental company. Avoid at all costs! The service is appalling and they are just trying to make money out of customers. We had rented a car (Fiat Panda) from Pisa Airport. We arrived 1 hour after the expected time because our flight was delayed. We were asked to pay Euro 40 for arriving late! They also blocked Euro 133 from our account for fuel charges in case we did not deliver the car back with a full tank (the max amount to full up the tank could not have exceeded 50-60 Euros) as it was a very small car). We were then asked to deposit Euro 960 for insurance purposes which would be blocked for 30!!! days after the return of the car or pay them Euro 96 non-refundable for insurance cover. These people are really trying to make money out of their customers. Customer service was appalling both employees were extremely rude. Needless to say we will never rent from them again. AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!"
"Booked Golcar at Malaga Aiport thru Rental Cars. Paid £90 to RC for maximum insurance. Showed the certificate for this at Goldcar Malaga desk,Told them i do not want or need their insurance. Gave them my credit card details, was assured no charges would be made on it....it was just to cover the euro 1400 excess.. As my RC insurance was precisely to reduce that excess to zero i was happy. UNTIL i discovered that same collection day Goldcar took £217 off my card mainly for their insurance.... Rental cars are not now helping at all, in fact are saying it is my fault. Halifax Credit cards tell me half their disputes are with Goldcar."
"Avoid Goldcar/Rhodium at all costs - and also the car rental broker sites such as AutoEurope who deal with them and do not reveal which company you are booking with until you've already paid and it's too late! I booked a 10-day rental in Nice via AutoEurope at a total cost of £149.98 On collection at 5pm I asked them to change the incorrect return time at rental end from 8.30am to 12.30pm - a 4 hour change. This was duly done on computer at the pick up desk but the sales person omitted to also change the time on the contract, which error I failed to notice. Goldcar blocked an amount of approx £1400 on my credit card as deposit on pick up and failed to release the block until 9 days after the end of the rental, meaning I was unable to use my card for that period. I also did not receive a final invoice. There was no explanation or apology for this despite several emails and telephone calls from UK to France. When they DID finally release the block they also took an amount of £106, again with no explanation or invoice. AutoEurope contacted them on my behalf to be told that this was for late return of the car. I was charged almost 70% of my 10-day rental cost for a perceived 3 1/2 hour "late" return. COME ON! This is downright dishonest, a rip off, a scam I strongly disputed this charge which arose from the incompetence of the Goldcar employee who failed to make the change I had requested on pick up, but am told that I signed the contract and was aware that penalties would be imposed for non-adherence so they will not refund. Nowhere in Goldcar's contract, website, or rental paperwork is there any mention of a late return charge, though had I been beyond my 10-day rental period I would of course have expected to pay a pro rata charge. NOT £30 AN HOUR - especially as the fault lay with them getting the time wrong, not me. Disgusting company. Don't use them - and spread the word!"
"Terrible company I will never use these again and if I were you I would avoid at all costs. I have been charged 216.00 Euro for damage that was already on the car when I collected and have photo evidence of this as I don't trust any of these car rental companies. Avoid at all costs as what they have tried to do to me is out and out dishonest and a total scam!"
"Booked a car at Tenerife South airport They took a £1420 deposit out of my account and only returned £1275.they don't answer emails.they charged my brother inlaw for insurance he didn't take out.save yourself the stress and money and book with any other company"
"SCAM! RUDE !NASTY"
"Never use Goldcar or any broker that put you in touch with them. (Argus Cars.) Goldcar Gran Canaria were blunt and rude and never explained half the information that we needed to know. (We weren't told about the fuel discount with Cespa or where to leave the car as they were closed on our return.) The Argus Car Hire website advised me to buy insurance for £25, (I knew about the extraordinary insurance premium that Goldcar hard sell to people. so I opted for that.) Goldcar said that this was pointless and I should purchase theirs for €130 or leave a deposit for, wait for it, €1100! (Incidentally, I wouldn't trust these snakes with €1100. Read the other reviews below.) And it had to be on a credit card which we don't have. We reluctantly paid €130. Then had to pay €100 in case we didn't return the car fully fueled. So all in all a £65 car hire turned into £65 + £25 + €135 + €100. Plus the car wasn't ready and we had to walk to two different location to pick it up ourselves. (With 6 cases) We had filled all of the documents with arrival times and flight details so it should have been ready. I swore that I would never use them again last time we used them, unfortunately, brokers due refer you to them and you don't know until you book. Stay away from them (and Argus) at all costs and find another provider. MONEY GRABBING COWBOYS"
"It is a scam I have used Goldcar twice and my dad once. Each experience has been one of dissapointment: - They arbitrarily accept or do not accept various international credit cards - They report cars as with no damages. Every time have we identified as many as ten damages when getting the car. - Most other people we have seen at the counters have been arguing with the customer representatives. Apparently, everyone seems to become angry when using this company. - They draw money from card instead of reserving it as all other companies do. - They forcefully and unfairly push extended insurance. - Taxes are not quoted in price - thus your price will be as high as when using other companies. - At the last visit staff was incredibly rude."
"I hired a car through Rentalcars.com as agent for Goldcar and opted for the special insurance. When I picked up the car at Malaga, the desk guy took my card which, I thought was to have holding deposit put on it, to find that Goldcar had deducted another special insurance ( around £85.00) I did not find this out until two days into my holiday and called their customer services who said that I could have had the holding deposit put on the card and to go to a local office to revert the payment. I am holiday so why would I want to drive all the way back to Malaga to do that! I have complained beyond belief but Goldcar just do not get it and keep referring to the contract which, was not explained to me at the desk and is also in Spanish! Do not use this company no matter what good deal you think you are seeing online through their agents they use. There is no doubt that you will have money deducted from your account."
"Do not book GOLDCAR from any third party sites as you get them for very cheap price including full insurance but once you go to the GOLDCAR desk to pickup car, they will play vital role to take insurance from them again for not blocking the credit card for 1250 EURO's. If you have 1250 EURO's get blocked, no issue with the confirmation from the 3rd party sites."
"The worst car hire company I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. They lie, bully and ultimately blackmail you into taking out the additional comprehensive insurance through themselves (which is twice the price of every other reputable car hire company), regardless of what existing policy you have. Avoid at all costs."
Goldcar is rated 1.43 based on 35 reviews