The Co-operative Young Driver Reviews

27% of reviewers recommend The Co-operative Young Driver

How would you rate The Co-operative Young Driver?

45 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about The Co-operative Young Driver in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"Bought this policy. Arranged an appointment to have box fitted. It was cancelled, arranged a second appointment and the girl didnt process it properly so got a phone call that afternoon saying i only had four days to arrange appointment. Remade the appointment for a day before the fourteen day timescale ran out, only to have them cancel that appointment. No way of getting the box fitted in the time scale so I have apparently broken the terms so they will have to see if the underwriter will extend for me. All obviously my fault despite having made two attempts to get it fitted and dont even get me started on the ridiculous amount of documents that they require from you."
"Hi just a quick note for anyone looking for young driver insurance with co op.. the dangerous driving times are actually 11-5 not 11 - 6:30 as their website states. I phoned to enquiry about this as I start work at 7 most days so would have to leave by half 6.. the women advised 11-5 are the actual times and they are looking into changing info on their sites."
"Increased price after being with them for years. Plus they charge high rates for box installation damage car electrics. Mess about."
"Good insurance company. I used them for my first year of driving, and never had any problems with the black box. As long as you drive well you will get a discount, I got the full 22.5% back, which was nice. I won't be renewing with them though for my 2nd year as I can now get a policy without a black box. All in all I would recommend. 5stars."
"Everybody i have spoken to has been very helpful and friendly - not sure what the bad reviews are for! They make you aware of any changes to your policy and have always talked me through everything."
"I feel the policy was misleading and not that easy to understand and there customer service I feel is shocking"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 month ago
"This insurance company is just ridiculous. Staff has no knowledge whatsoever about what they are talking about. 'Managers' (if you can even name somebody so unprofessional a manager) don't give a single S* about your queries. The scores are unfair and uneven each time explaining that THIS score works different then the other ones... I do not recommend ! Shame on you co-op!"
"My son had taken out this insurance and I feel that it is a system that is weighted far to much in favour of the insurers. The car is parked up 5 days a week and no credit is given for this to the driver, surely this is 5 days at very minimal risk to the insurer (it is parked on an army camp). I was the original driver for 3 weeks on this car before my son began to use it, I have 40 plus years driving experience and as an LGV driver am used to driving steady, however to get a high score on cornering and braking is an impossibility and would challenge any driver to succeed in this using the same routes I had to use. I also believe that there should have been clearer documentation on the penalties for the night time driving, as if you are working shifts, there is too much of a penalty associated with this. A letter arrived on my doorstep (main home address) informing him that he was being financially penalised for a low score, no e-mails to warn of this as they expect you to keep logging into the website, which is another get out clause in my opinion. My son was on exercise at the time and I had to make a payment to prevent the insurance being cancelled. This could have been a cause of him driving home from camp without insurance before finding out it had been cancelled.....VERY dangerous practice COOP! Make more effort to contact your customers and show some respect for them! In conclusion, be very wary of taking out this black box insurance with the COOP, the initial premium quoted WILL escalate by tens or hundreds of pounds on a quarterly basis, this based on your score, I would be interested to hear if anyone does get a rebate as the COOP claims happens? Although we did have a blue moon recently."
"Overall, reasonably fair when it comes to assessing your driving via the telematics box. Obviously sometimes it is required to go above the speed limit for safety reasons (getting out of the way of emergency vehicles for example) and I've never been penalised for this. Obviously if you speed continuously, it will register on your score and will lead to your insurance being cancelled. I'll be honest, I corner fast and I brake late. I still managed to get a discount, my driver score throughout the policy seemed to stagnate at about 73. The only factor that seems to be really heavily weighted is the "dangerous times" metric. Drive after 11pm for any length of time and it will take months for your score to recover. Only other sticking point is that you have to pay £90 to have the box removed at the end of the policy, despite the fact it doesn't belong to you, it resides in your car and you supposedly aren't allowed to touch it."
"We were charged 490 for “every 45 day review”. They increased the premium by extra £1000 for a new car ( same model, same year!) It’s impossible to get better scores with that black box. So far we have paid £3490 for a year’s policy! AVOID this company’s! Day light robbery!"
"Wankers"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 months ago
"coop black box says you are working towards a discount with good driving, never says its going to penalise you without warning. score got to top of green/50% and they Took an extra £182 without warning from someone elses card. not even an email. even thought the policy was paid upfront."
"Lacey in customer service was absolutely amazing she answered all of my question and gave me her honest advice even though I was bombarding her with question(annoying customer) I really appreciate her patience 11/10"
"3 years on and no problems at all had an accident which wasn't my fualt they sorted everything out would recommend to any young driver only downside is it's a little bit expensive but cheaper than the rest so can't complain"
"at first the company are great however if you go over the speed limit without releasing 3 times they will end your contract. I know I wont be recommending this company to anyone I know."
"Very good insurance not had any problems"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 4 months ago
Paul Moretti
Verified Reviewer
"This company need reporting to the ombudsman, they are criminals hiding behind a Ltd company! I will be reporting them to "Watch Dog" There actions disgust me on every level. The are reluctant to talk to the parents regarding matters and cancel policies of young drivers using second class post!! Even though the policy had been paid IN FULL! Do not use the services of this company if you value your time, and your child's driving license! The Directors of this company should be brought before the courts! Shameful, disgusting and embarrassing way to run a company!"
"Extremely poor insurance company, no communication and constant price changes. no matter how many times i attempt to contact the company to sort this. i get absolutely nowhere. will no be staying with this company and will advise everyone i know to stay away."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 4 months ago
"takes ages to build up a good score and it drops drematicly considering in a 30 police let you get away with 33 and I was on a 70mph road a car kept me out in the fast lane had a car behind pressuring me done 74mph to get past safe it has happens loads and destroyed my score never getting black box again worth paying the extra . it's a con plus I'm 22 it was £1900 for a 1l Corsa sxi rep and £100 to install black box that wasn't staited and £100 at end of policy to remove plus 35 to put my private plates on already paid DVLA to put on car other insurance company's are free"
"takes ages to build up a good score and it drops drematicly considering in a 30 police let you get away with 33 and I was on a 70mph road a car kept me out in the fast lane had a car behind pressuring me done 74mph to get past safe it has happens loads and destroyed my score never getting black box again worth paying the extra . it's a con plus I'm 22 it was £1900 for a 1l Corsa sxi rep and £100 to install black box that wasn't staited and £100 at end of policy to remove"
The Co-operative Young Driver is rated 2.16 based on 45 reviews