The Co-operative Young Driver Reviews

23% of reviewers recommend The Co-operative Young Driver

Tell us how The Co-operative Young Driver made you happy

Telephone
"I took out a policy with co op back in June and unfortunately my car was written off, co op were great up until the point that they paid out. However, I am disgusted at their customer service. I asked them to listen to some transcripts after they lied and miss-sold to me only for them to come back and tell me that the transcripts were in their favour even though I made two separate calls which they clearly stated I was entitled to reimbursement. Co op didn’t leave notes on my account either, which means that all I am met with is rudeness. They left false information on my account which almost led to my policy being cancelled. I am now out of pocket by almost £1000 thanks to co op! Steer clear of this company."
"Im 18 years old and i took insurance out for £3000 and have a had a letter through my door asking for more money and when i phoned the coustomer service line it was appalling even from the major they fiddle about with you dash board saying they have put stuff on there when they havent if your a young driver i would stay well clear and never use them as they are rip of merchants worst company my family have been ever been with and been driving 30 od years"
"I don’t like this insurance company only chose it as it was the cheapest I will be changing when I’m due a renewal"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 months ago
"Customer service just hangs up on you. completely useless when they stay on the phone anyway"
"I have had absolutely no problems with the co op young driver policy. I took it out myself when I was 17 and the price was excellent compared to other insurers. I haven’t had a driving discount and my score is mid-low, but I do drive like a bit of a nutter, sometimes 20mph in excess of the speed limit (not in residentials, calm down mothers) and have had no issues with warnings or fines from them. Only issue with the driving score is that it penalizes you for driving past 11pm. I have had a fault accident on my policy, which I admitted to fault and they handled it very quickly and with absolutely minimum intervention from me - even though I have done almost double the mileage I quoted them (didn’t expect the mileage added by having a girlfriend). I chose not to renew as I want a non black box policy for peace of mind although their renewal quote offer was excellent. I can thoroughly recommend them if you are 17."
"I'm a third way through my policy currently and I have noticed that each time it comes to your 90 day black box reviews, your score goes down dramatically. The past 3 days I have driven very carefully, not breaking late or accelerating too quickly and they put my score in the section 'acceleration and breaking' as worse than how I drove before. It is obvious they want to put scores down so that they can up our policy and con us into paying more a month. When I first got the policy my insurance went down which was great but the next review they upped it even tho my score was still in the 'very good' section on my black box dashboard. I find it disqusting that they advertise it as a young drivers insurance and they simply change our scores just to con us. Most young drivers don't have the best of jobs or are students and cant afford to be messed around like most people have been with this company. Avoid at all costs."
"So while driving with co-op blackbox insurance my son was getting a ridiculous low score meaning fines and constant concerns about cancellation the no curfew is rubbish it knocks your score by a huge amount if you drive after 11pm, cancelled & changed to another blackbox insurer and no problem at all with his driving score."
"Best insurance company to use as a young driver. Staff are lovely, sort every problem out. Highly recommend"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 months ago
"Stay way, that is my advice. I have cancelled my policy after only 2 months. "No curfew" what a lie that is. 5 minutes past 11 and I got a score of 30 for driving in a 'dangerous time'. I am 62 years old and I am well past the boy racer days. I do most of the driving and I get low scores on braking and cornering ?? My son gets a worse score than me and he is probably a more careful driver than I am having recently passed his test. I would advise anybody to really consider other options to get insurance before going with this rip off company. They deliberately keep your scores down so that they don't have to give you a discount. I wish that I had read the other reviews before I bought this dodgy insurance."
"Both my son and I drive the car, i have 30+ driving experience and I still got a low cornering and speeding score....it's very unpredictable and I'm not happy"
"When my car had broken down I had taken it to an official manufacturer garage. Rang my insurance just for them to say that it was my fault a manufacturing defect had occurred. Did not help me in any way, didn’t get a courtesy car despite having no car for 2 weeks!!! Terrible company. They don’t care about you at all."
"Black Box is random. Son had an average of 81/100 after 70 days .AFter 72 days it dropped to 66. One journey had his speed as 0/100. Thing is, I was in the car with him and he was driving impeccably. I'm wondering if this is because he is coming up to the 90 day discount window and the black box has a special algo which starts knocking your score down to avoid them having to give you a rebate. They tell me they are investigating it...We'll see"
"Do not go with this company, My son took out the policy and after alot of emails saying we haven't downloaded the correct document's (which they do not explain properly how do this ) I downloaded the correct document's but somehow they haven't received it I thought that everthing was ok and now they have cancelled policy and now we have to pay £120 cancellation fee! And £90 for the black box"
"If you want your insurance price to be the same every month don’t go with this company. I will say it’s a nice surprise when you’re insurance price goes down, however my driving score was excellent and went down into good. Now I don’t drive around speeding everywhere, I don’t go out in “dangerous times” either. My policy is coming to an end and they have now decided to raise my insurance policy to higher than what I took it out on. Baring in mind I’m in the good score nearly in excellent, I could justify my insurance going from £81 to £130 if my score was in the poor or standard score but it’s not. ( I took the policy out paying £120 a month) If I were you I would look at another black box company that has a set price rather than them being able to change it. I would also suggest that if you can find a quote without a black box DO IT. Every time you drive around you’re so paranoid at your speed you’re probably looking at the speedo more than the actual road. I’m definitely counting down the two months until I can renew and go with a company which is a lot cheaper and without a black box."
"If this post saves just one mother the hassle we have endured with this company, then I have done my job. This company is an online company, however its questions are limited. So you find once you have accepted its quote you are bombarded with emails asking for more information, documentation. More documentation. Oh that was the wrong document we asked for, and on and on it goes. You ring to check they have everything they need, get assured they have, then get a letter threatening cancellation because they don't have all they need. You book a date for the black box to get fitted, to find they have sent the wrong one out. They then threaten cancellation because you have ran out of time to get the box fitted. You spend hours on the phone sorting out their issues. Eventually just as you think you have done everything they ask for, they tell you they are cancelling your insurance because your car has a black roof and they consider this a modification. Cheaper is not better! They cancell at the drop of a hat and no one wants the fear of their child driving around in an uninsured car, because the company insuring it doesn't like the colour of its interiour! It has been a month long rollercoaster of emotions. I would not insure the local rat with this company. Save yourself the time and hassle and go anywhere else."
"Took out insurance with the company for my son. After hours of phone calls, dozens of documentation sent they come to fit a black box. They have insured the wrong car, I called them up, got the number plate changed and we were waiting to be told when the black box would be fitted. Today they have cancelled my sons policy. Stating following information we have received there is a discrepancy on your insurance policy??? What? I have told them everything they wanted to know. I am furious. Luckily I have not signed the credit agreement with them yet and will fight them every step of the way if they wish to charge us extra!"
"My son got a policy with them and they cancelled as their had been a claim and didn't even notify him and charged us £120.00. We were unaware of the claim as it just flagged up on their Q system. The claim turned out to be not a claim anyway. He was actually driving when cancelled and they didn't notify him. I would strongly recommend that young drivers do not use CO-OP Young Drivers insurance. Very poor service and communication."
"Bought this policy. Arranged an appointment to have box fitted. It was cancelled, arranged a second appointment and the girl didnt process it properly so got a phone call that afternoon saying i only had four days to arrange appointment. Remade the appointment for a day before the fourteen day timescale ran out, only to have them cancel that appointment. No way of getting the box fitted in the time scale so I have apparently broken the terms so they will have to see if the underwriter will extend for me. All obviously my fault despite having made two attempts to get it fitted and dont even get me started on the ridiculous amount of documents that they require from you."
"Hi just a quick note for anyone looking for young driver insurance with co op.. the dangerous driving times are actually 11-5 not 11 - 6:30 as their website states. I phoned to enquiry about this as I start work at 7 most days so would have to leave by half 6.. the women advised 11-5 are the actual times and they are looking into changing info on their sites."
"Increased price after being with them for years. Plus they charge high rates for box installation damage car electrics. Mess about."
The Co-operative Young Driver is rated 2.00 based on 62 reviews