The Co-operative Young Driver Reviews

25% of reviewers recommend The Co-operative Young Driver

How would you rate The Co-operative Young Driver ?

"When my car had broken down I had taken it to an official manufacturer garage. Rang my insurance just for them to say that it was my fault a manufacturing defect had occurred. Did not help me in any way, didn’t get a courtesy car despite having no car for 2 weeks!!! Terrible company. They don’t care about you at all."
"Black Box is random. Son had an average of 81/100 after 70 days .AFter 72 days it dropped to 66. One journey had his speed as 0/100. Thing is, I was in the car with him and he was driving impeccably. I'm wondering if this is because he is coming up to the 90 day discount window and the black box has a special algo which starts knocking your score down to avoid them having to give you a rebate. They tell me they are investigating it...We'll see"
"Do not go with this company, My son took out the policy and after alot of emails saying we haven't downloaded the correct document's (which they do not explain properly how do this ) I downloaded the correct document's but somehow they haven't received it I thought that everthing was ok and now they have cancelled policy and now we have to pay £120 cancellation fee! And £90 for the black box"
"Having just passed my test I thought insuring a car at 19 would be impossible but the co-op made the purchase of a brand new audi q2 affordable to insure with a black box. I'm very happy with the service an I can check if I'm driving good which I like to view every week to see if I can change my driving style. In the first 3 months I had a really good discount deducted from my premium for driving safe. I think all young drivers should have a box fitted to their car for at least 2 years as it has really helped me loads an hopefully made me a better driver. Follow me for makeup lessons or just for inspiration on Instagram #bysophierussell Thanks for reading my review."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 month ago
"If you want your insurance price to be the same every month don’t go with this company. I will say it’s a nice surprise when you’re insurance price goes down, however my driving score was excellent and went down into good. Now I don’t drive around speeding everywhere, I don’t go out in “dangerous times” either. My policy is coming to an end and they have now decided to raise my insurance policy to higher than what I took it out on. Baring in mind I’m in the good score nearly in excellent, I could justify my insurance going from £81 to £130 if my score was in the poor or standard score but it’s not. ( I took the policy out paying £120 a month) If I were you I would look at another black box company that has a set price rather than them being able to change it. I would also suggest that if you can find a quote without a black box DO IT. Every time you drive around you’re so paranoid at your speed you’re probably looking at the speedo more than the actual road. I’m definitely counting down the two months until I can renew and go with a company which is a lot cheaper and without a black box."
"If this post saves just one mother the hassle we have endured with this company, then I have done my job. This company is an online company, however its questions are limited. So you find once you have accepted its quote you are bombarded with emails asking for more information, documentation. More documentation. Oh that was the wrong document we asked for, and on and on it goes. You ring to check they have everything they need, get assured they have, then get a letter threatening cancellation because they don't have all they need. You book a date for the black box to get fitted, to find they have sent the wrong one out. They then threaten cancellation because you have ran out of time to get the box fitted. You spend hours on the phone sorting out their issues. Eventually just as you think you have done everything they ask for, they tell you they are cancelling your insurance because your car has a black roof and they consider this a modification. Cheaper is not better! They cancell at the drop of a hat and no one wants the fear of their child driving around in an uninsured car, because the company insuring it doesn't like the colour of its interiour! It has been a month long rollercoaster of emotions. I would not insure the local rat with this company. Save yourself the time and hassle and go anywhere else."
"Took out insurance with the company for my son. After hours of phone calls, dozens of documentation sent they come to fit a black box. They have insured the wrong car, I called them up, got the number plate changed and we were waiting to be told when the black box would be fitted. Today they have cancelled my sons policy. Stating following information we have received there is a discrepancy on your insurance policy??? What? I have told them everything they wanted to know. I am furious. Luckily I have not signed the credit agreement with them yet and will fight them every step of the way if they wish to charge us extra!"
"My son got a policy with them and they cancelled as their had been a claim and didn't even notify him and charged us £120.00. We were unaware of the claim as it just flagged up on their Q system. The claim turned out to be not a claim anyway. He was actually driving when cancelled and they didn't notify him. I would strongly recommend that young drivers do not use CO-OP Young Drivers insurance. Very poor service and communication."
"Bought this policy. Arranged an appointment to have box fitted. It was cancelled, arranged a second appointment and the girl didnt process it properly so got a phone call that afternoon saying i only had four days to arrange appointment. Remade the appointment for a day before the fourteen day timescale ran out, only to have them cancel that appointment. No way of getting the box fitted in the time scale so I have apparently broken the terms so they will have to see if the underwriter will extend for me. All obviously my fault despite having made two attempts to get it fitted and dont even get me started on the ridiculous amount of documents that they require from you."
"Hi just a quick note for anyone looking for young driver insurance with co op.. the dangerous driving times are actually 11-5 not 11 - 6:30 as their website states. I phoned to enquiry about this as I start work at 7 most days so would have to leave by half 6.. the women advised 11-5 are the actual times and they are looking into changing info on their sites."
"Increased price after being with them for years. Plus they charge high rates for box installation damage car electrics. Mess about."
"Good insurance company. I used them for my first year of driving, and never had any problems with the black box. As long as you drive well you will get a discount, I got the full 22.5% back, which was nice. I won't be renewing with them though for my 2nd year as I can now get a policy without a black box. All in all I would recommend. 5stars."
"Everybody i have spoken to has been very helpful and friendly - not sure what the bad reviews are for! They make you aware of any changes to your policy and have always talked me through everything."
"I feel the policy was misleading and not that easy to understand and there customer service I feel is shocking"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 5 months ago
"This insurance company is just ridiculous. Staff has no knowledge whatsoever about what they are talking about. 'Managers' (if you can even name somebody so unprofessional a manager) don't give a single S* about your queries. The scores are unfair and uneven each time explaining that THIS score works different then the other ones... I do not recommend ! Shame on you co-op!"
"My son had taken out this insurance and I feel that it is a system that is weighted far to much in favour of the insurers. The car is parked up 5 days a week and no credit is given for this to the driver, surely this is 5 days at very minimal risk to the insurer (it is parked on an army camp). I was the original driver for 3 weeks on this car before my son began to use it, I have 40 plus years driving experience and as an LGV driver am used to driving steady, however to get a high score on cornering and braking is an impossibility and would challenge any driver to succeed in this using the same routes I had to use. I also believe that there should have been clearer documentation on the penalties for the night time driving, as if you are working shifts, there is too much of a penalty associated with this. A letter arrived on my doorstep (main home address) informing him that he was being financially penalised for a low score, no e-mails to warn of this as they expect you to keep logging into the website, which is another get out clause in my opinion. My son was on exercise at the time and I had to make a payment to prevent the insurance being cancelled. This could have been a cause of him driving home from camp without insurance before finding out it had been cancelled.....VERY dangerous practice COOP! Make more effort to contact your customers and show some respect for them! In conclusion, be very wary of taking out this black box insurance with the COOP, the initial premium quoted WILL escalate by tens or hundreds of pounds on a quarterly basis, this based on your score, I would be interested to hear if anyone does get a rebate as the COOP claims happens? Although we did have a blue moon recently."
"Overall, reasonably fair when it comes to assessing your driving via the telematics box. Obviously sometimes it is required to go above the speed limit for safety reasons (getting out of the way of emergency vehicles for example) and I've never been penalised for this. Obviously if you speed continuously, it will register on your score and will lead to your insurance being cancelled. I'll be honest, I corner fast and I brake late. I still managed to get a discount, my driver score throughout the policy seemed to stagnate at about 73. The only factor that seems to be really heavily weighted is the "dangerous times" metric. Drive after 11pm for any length of time and it will take months for your score to recover. Only other sticking point is that you have to pay £90 to have the box removed at the end of the policy, despite the fact it doesn't belong to you, it resides in your car and you supposedly aren't allowed to touch it."
"We were charged 490 for “every 45 day review”. They increased the premium by extra £1000 for a new car ( same model, same year!) It’s impossible to get better scores with that black box. So far we have paid £3490 for a year’s policy! AVOID this company’s! Day light robbery!"
"Wankers"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 6 months ago
"coop black box says you are working towards a discount with good driving, never says its going to penalise you without warning. score got to top of green/50% and they Took an extra £182 without warning from someone elses card. not even an email. even thought the policy was paid upfront."
The Co-operative Young Driver is rated 2.08 based on 53 reviews