The Co-operative Young Driver Reviews

26% of reviewers recommend The Co-operative Young Driver

How would you rate The Co-operative Young Driver?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

39 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about The Co-operative Young Driver in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"This insurance company is just ridiculous. Staff has no knowledge whatsoever about what they are talking about. 'Managers' (if you can even name somebody so unprofessional a manager) don't give a single S* about your queries. The scores are unfair and uneven each time explaining that THIS score works different then the other ones... I do not recommend ! Shame on you co-op!"
"My son had taken out this insurance and I feel that it is a system that is weighted far to much in favour of the insurers. The car is parked up 5 days a week and no credit is given for this to the driver, surely this is 5 days at very minimal risk to the insurer (it is parked on an army camp). I was the original driver for 3 weeks on this car before my son began to use it, I have 40 plus years driving experience and as an LGV driver am used to driving steady, however to get a high score on cornering and braking is an impossibility and would challenge any driver to succeed in this using the same routes I had to use. I also believe that there should have been clearer documentation on the penalties for the night time driving, as if you are working shifts, there is too much of a penalty associated with this. A letter arrived on my doorstep (main home address) informing him that he was being financially penalised for a low score, no e-mails to warn of this as they expect you to keep logging into the website, which is another get out clause in my opinion. My son was on exercise at the time and I had to make a payment to prevent the insurance being cancelled. This could have been a cause of him driving home from camp without insurance before finding out it had been cancelled.....VERY dangerous practice COOP! Make more effort to contact your customers and show some respect for them! In conclusion, be very wary of taking out this black box insurance with the COOP, the initial premium quoted WILL escalate by tens or hundreds of pounds on a quarterly basis, this based on your score, I would be interested to hear if anyone does get a rebate as the COOP claims happens? Although we did have a blue moon recently."
"Overall, reasonably fair when it comes to assessing your driving via the telematics box. Obviously sometimes it is required to go above the speed limit for safety reasons (getting out of the way of emergency vehicles for example) and I've never been penalised for this. Obviously if you speed continuously, it will register on your score and will lead to your insurance being cancelled. I'll be honest, I corner fast and I brake late. I still managed to get a discount, my driver score throughout the policy seemed to stagnate at about 73. The only factor that seems to be really heavily weighted is the "dangerous times" metric. Drive after 11pm for any length of time and it will take months for your score to recover. Only other sticking point is that you have to pay £90 to have the box removed at the end of the policy, despite the fact it doesn't belong to you, it resides in your car and you supposedly aren't allowed to touch it."
"We were charged 490 for “every 45 day review”. They increased the premium by extra £1000 for a new car ( same model, same year!) It’s impossible to get better scores with that black box. So far we have paid £3490 for a year’s policy! AVOID this company’s! Day light robbery!"
"Wankers"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 4 weeks ago
"coop black box says you are working towards a discount with good driving, never says its going to penalise you without warning. score got to top of green/50% and they Took an extra £182 without warning from someone elses card. not even an email. even thought the policy was paid upfront."
"Lacey in customer service was absolutely amazing she answered all of my question and gave me her honest advice even though I was bombarding her with question(annoying customer) I really appreciate her patience 11/10"
"3 years on and no problems at all had an accident which wasn't my fualt they sorted everything out would recommend to any young driver only downside is it's a little bit expensive but cheaper than the rest so can't complain"
"at first the company are great however if you go over the speed limit without releasing 3 times they will end your contract. I know I wont be recommending this company to anyone I know."
"Very good insurance not had any problems"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 month ago
Paul Moretti
Verified Reviewer
"This company need reporting to the ombudsman, they are criminals hiding behind a Ltd company! I will be reporting them to "Watch Dog" There actions disgust me on every level. The are reluctant to talk to the parents regarding matters and cancel policies of young drivers using second class post!! Even though the policy had been paid IN FULL! Do not use the services of this company if you value your time, and your child's driving license! The Directors of this company should be brought before the courts! Shameful, disgusting and embarrassing way to run a company!"
"Extremely poor insurance company, no communication and constant price changes. no matter how many times i attempt to contact the company to sort this. i get absolutely nowhere. will no be staying with this company and will advise everyone i know to stay away."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 months ago
"takes ages to build up a good score and it drops drematicly considering in a 30 police let you get away with 33 and I was on a 70mph road a car kept me out in the fast lane had a car behind pressuring me done 74mph to get past safe it has happens loads and destroyed my score never getting black box again worth paying the extra . it's a con plus I'm 22 it was £1900 for a 1l Corsa sxi rep and £100 to install black box that wasn't staited and £100 at end of policy to remove plus 35 to put my private plates on already paid DVLA to put on car other insurance company's are free"
"takes ages to build up a good score and it drops drematicly considering in a 30 police let you get away with 33 and I was on a 70mph road a car kept me out in the fast lane had a car behind pressuring me done 74mph to get past safe it has happens loads and destroyed my score never getting black box again worth paying the extra . it's a con plus I'm 22 it was £1900 for a 1l Corsa sxi rep and £100 to install black box that wasn't staited and £100 at end of policy to remove"
"THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY TO BE INSURED WITH IF YOU ARE A YOUNG DRIVER!!! THEY ARE THEIVES, THEY WILL DO ANYTHING TO TAKE YOUR MONEY, STAY AWAY AT ALL COST’S! ALSO THE SMARTDASH BOARD IS ALOAD OF SH*T!"
"Worst company ever to go through. They charged me 15 pound to change my name on my policy. They up my payments without telling me . They kept telling me my policy is being cancelled and then apologise. Really bad communication would never go through them again after my policy is cancelled with them"
"I would leave 0 stars if I could, lack of communication on their part saying I still had documents outstanding that I needed to provide but I never received any emails to say I still had things outstanding, I had provided everything I thought was required, they then cancelled my insurance and didn't tell me till a week after so I was driving uninsured for a week without knowing.. They had the cheek to tell me when I rang up they have proof I read their emails.. I didn't even receive emails from them! I'm now a 22 year old with a cancelled policy on my record and most other companies charge a fortune now, they've black listed my name. I will be taking legal action, avoid at all costs"
"I cannot reccomend black box driving, it seems awfully temperamental as to what rating it will give you from day to day, You can drive the exact same route at the same speeds and be graded considerably differently on both days. Black box driving also takes ALL the possible fun out of driving. You get down rated for accelerating, cornering and night driving. Downrating for accelaration is a massive farce, On my route to work there is a T junction in which I have to accelarate onto a 70mph road from standing. This road is quite busy and should I not accelarate quickly I am MORE likely to cause an accident. Cornering suffers from the same issue, if there is a sharp right turn in theory you can trick the black box into thinking the turn is shallower than it is by cutting onto the other side of the road INCREASING your chance for an accident with oncoming traffic. The insurance itself costs an absolute arm and a leg, but that isn't the fault of the company as all insurers seemed to quote me that much. I have had no problems with the actual company though be aware there are charges galore if you want to do anything to your account/policy .If you want to change address you will have to pay them £30 just to change your address on their system, if you want to up your mileage on your policy, there's an admin fee for this to happen."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 4 months ago
"The only insurance company to charge £15 to change my name on my sons policy from my previous name to my new married name. All four other car insurance companies were happy to change it for free. Wont be using the Co-op again."
"I would be giving you -10000 stars if I could. Company is absolutely awful. Staff talk down to you. Don't even review the notes on your account properly and miss advise you loads. I had an accident on 04/08. The third party had crossed into my line on the roundabout and hit the back drivers side of my door. I have a witness and cctv evidence against them. The roundabout is complicated and when they reviewed the cctv they said it was 50/50 claim. When advised the guy on the phone that he was a three lane roundabout for about 45 minutes he actually rang me back and said I was not at fault and they were presuming it as a none fault claim. Because the third party could not see the cctv via email they requested for it to be sent in via USB or disk. I had to send this to my insurance to then send to him. Someone from the company rang me the day after me paying my access fees (I had to pay them or I could gone without a car for three months) and advised that they had received cctv evidence to prove that I was liable for the crash. Rang back the day later for them to then tell me that they haven't received any third party cctv and it was the cctv I sent via USB!! Fuming isn't the word! The guy didn't even read the notes in my account or nothing. They haven't even contacted the third party insurance. Will not be renewing my insurance with this joke of a company next year."
The Co-operative Young Driver is rated 2.03 based on 39 reviews