RAC Insurance Reviews

50% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"I took out a vehicle policy 6 months ago with the RAC through a comparison site. I paid £170 for 12 months cover. I have just tried to transfer that policy to another vehicle of exactly the same insurance group and have been told that I will have to pay a further £90 plus a £25 'admin fee'. When I suggested that I might cancel the policy instead and start afresh, I was told that my refund, despite having 6 months to run on the policy, would be only £27 and I will also have to pay a 'cancellation fee' of £55! Effectively, I would have to pay the RAC an additional £23 for the privilege of cancelling my insurance mid-term. When I complained and asked what, exactly, I was paying for I was told curtly that "it's in the terms and conditions". Awful company, simply awful. Surprising, really, when there's so much competition around. Don't touch the RAC vehicle insurance with a barge pole people. Rip off RAC!"
"I can only describe RAC insurance as a total scam. To explain.... I insured a BMW i3 with them for just over £600 per year, an acceptable price for what they were offering. 6 months into the policy the vehicle I have needed to be replaced by BMW for an identical model. First of all I was told that this would incur a £30 fee, quite expensive in comparison with other insurers. But the real icing on the cake, they then went on to say that my insurance would increase to over £1,700 (that's still with 20 years no claims discount), for the same model of car! Needless to say I have cancelled my policy and will NEVER again deal with the RAC for any service. How are they allowed to keep getting away with these dodgy tactics?"
"Insured my car with RAC I have just moved home literally around the corner same village, they are charging me £25 admin and increasing my monthly payments due to higher risk. Disgusting thieves!!! Roll on February. Then had the cheek to ask me when my home insurance renewal was due as if I would chose them!!!"
"Car broke down, I have extended warranty from dealership which covers for breakdown repairs with rac. However, the amount of nonsense the claims department @therac (assurant insurance company) comes up with is so irrelevant and ridiculous it's beyond belief. Trying to make any excuse not to pay for the repairs. The car is under warranty and if the parts fail then you fix it. What's the point of them existing if they don't do their job!! Emma at rac claims dept is the worst person i have ever come across. She is just horrible. Throws you the must ridiculous things they want to even process the repairs. So car still sitting at the garage because she's on some power-trip. The worst thing is her colleague gave the go ahead but she refuses to process it. So @therac @assurant.com you need to address this major problem aka Emma who works at rac claims assurant.com 03301003305"
"Please avoid this company, courtesy car was included in the rac breakdown and car insurance policies. When our car breakdown I called them to book mechanic, we was waiting all day, without updates, you need to call them to check. They transfer the calls to someone else, which wasn’t helpful. Booked courtesy car, and the booking was confirmed twice. Went to pick up the courtesy car, and and I was told the booking wasn’t confirmed in their system. I call rac to check what is going on, they was telling me the booking was confirmed, and after few phone calls with different people, courtesy car wasn’t provided. Very bad experience with this company, and they charge you £110 p/m for that and can not help at all when you need them!"
"Outrageous premiums - by changing insurer, we cut our annual fee fm £480 to £136 for the same level of service."
"Sold my car. Had 3 months insurance left. Charged me to leave. Be wary of this con"
"Shocking scam of a company.My daughter purchased her black box insurance with them as a young driver this was the cheapest way. She had 2 not at fault claims within a week of each other.1st was by a car in a left turn only lane(the insurance agent from the 1st call googled it and even said the other vehicle was in the wrong) and 2nd a hit and run(cctv is available but this hasnt been followed up as enterprise"are not a insurance company and cant request cctv!!!)Both reported within a few hours.Its now nearly a month since the 1st and she has been passed from pillar to post as rac keep passing her to Enterprise, She pays her money to rac so why aren't they dealing with it?Has been told she will have to pay her excess which means she will lose her no claims next year but claiming for 2 accidents which were not her fault.Penalising young drivers because they can't be bothered to do their job;I have made a formal complaint which will be escalated to the ombudsmen if not sorted.AVOID THIS COMPANY"
"Worst customer services i've experienced. Kept me on the line for 15 minutes and forwarded my call between 3 different departments, just to cancel the policy. I was calling from Asia, so the call alone cost 25 pounds! Disastrous."
"By far the worst experience I have experienced in over 45 years of driving. They simply do not progress your claim, they come up with every excuse, thier agents ( Enterprise) delay teh claim then pass it back to the insured. They take your money and do not manage a claim. Please take my advice, I learnt the hard way. Please do not use RAC Insurance."
"Terrible insurance company, an absolute scam for young drivers. Had consistent problems with RAC over the course of the year and would highly recommend that everyone avoids them"
"Recently moved house and rang RAC with change of address, firstly they gave my address as South Humberside an Authority/County/Address which has not existed since 1996. secondly they bumped my insurance up by £43 for 7 months and to top it all charged me £25 on top for the privilege. When I said ok I will cancel my policy they said oh that will cost £55. Absolute Rip off will not use them again"
"Absolutely shocked that even though I I provided my no claims information, they refused it and pushed up my car insurance by over £80. When I said I can get my insurance cheaper elsewhere, they charged me over £50 to end it !!! No customer support or personal contact, only standard emails. Appalling."
"Before I went on holiday, I called RAC car insurance on 5 Sept 2019 to renew my policy (as it expired on 10 Sept) we changed my payment card details and the lady said that everything is fine and that the payment will go off on the 10 Sept. Thinking everything is ok. I am currently in a different country for a few weeks. I received an email to say: 1 My payment was declined 2 I will be charged £20 for late payment. 3 If I dont renew they will cancel my policy. Obviously they messed up. Now I am stressing on my suppose to be relaxing holiday trying to get in touch with them. I cant call them due to my phones roaming settings but also why should I pay for the international call? I tried to get in touch by the website, not even an email address I can contact. Yes I can log into my account, but all it says is to call them. RAC CAR INSURANCE PLEASE CALL ME ASAP. If I dont get in touch my policy will be cancelled and if something had to happen to my car while I am gone then I am not insured."
"My daughter took out a car insurance policy with RAC. A couple of weeks after setting this up they contacted her to say that it was cancelled with immediate effect because of an undeclared and unresolved claim against her. In fact this was entirely incorrect and was due to an error by her previous insurer (Admiral) who had said they would remove it from their records and then failed to do so. She contacted Admiral who contacted the RAC to confirm this fact. She the asked RAC to restart her policy as this had clearly been an error. They said they could not restart a cancelled policy but would have to quote on a new one - which they did for a cost 3 or 4 times more expensive than the one just cancelled. When she asked why they said it was because she had a cancelled policy - which she did: cancelled by themselves because of provenly incorrect data sent by another insurer! The computer said no and that was that. They agreed to refund her money but did so minus £250 which they said they could charge because of this - totally unnecessary- cancellation. When she complained a few days later the person she spoke to agreed that in the circumstances they would refund the amount. This never materialised and when she enquired was told that this person should not, in fact, have authorised it and it had been cancelled. After issuing a further complaint she was told they would look at it again and get back to her in 6-8 weeks - which, of course, they have not done. I wrote to them on her behalf as well but have not even had the courtesy of a reply. Basically, they have misappropriated £250 of her money due to an error in the information sent by her previous insurer which that insurer very promptly confirmed. Disgraceful service and I would urge anyone to think very carefully before giving their business to such a company"
"I've been with RAC car insurance on a black box as an under 25 driver for 2 years now. I've never had to make a claim and always scored highly in their metrics. Why then have they doubled my insurance rate from £53 to over £116 per month. Nobody on the phones will explain this to me and it's not on. Why am I being punished as a young driver on a black box with 5 years no claim experience now? Its not on. They tried to double it last year and I solved it as they appeared reasonably priced on a price comparison site but to happen for a second year running is just ridiculous and offering no compromise. Just look elsewhere young drivers and avoid the RAC."
"Not the cheapest but decided to go with them for my wife's car insurance. Trying to complete the form in the payment section but my credit card rejected because my antivirus detected information gathering. Apparently, the RAC is aware of this because they allowed you to click a button to continue - which did not work. The only way to continue was to disable the AV - unbelievable! Then when trying to provide the Direct Debit details of the account we use to pay the insurance it was rejected as the account was not in my Wife's name! Then tried to 'phone the RAC to sort the situation out - only to be told this was a new policy and nothing could be done! Ridiculous behaviour I have been paying this way for years with lots of different companies. So bye-bye RAC I will just take my business to Swinton."
"Firstly, after taking out a van insurance policy with the 'RAC', I discover that the company acting for the RAC is actually IGO4.com. This is NOT the RAC, misleading me to arrange cover with a company which I believed to have good longstanding reputation. After submitted correct information and agreeing to the online quote, I later received an email stating there was a 'discrepancy' and a further charges were added. Their 'discrepancy' claim was false, although it took weeks to rectify and reimburse the charges, only after threats to report the issue to the FCA. This is an honest review and my first experience with this company. In 30 years of driving, I have always found RAC Breakdown to be excellent but drivers must be aware that RAC Insurance is NOT the RAC."
RAC Insurance is rated 3.01 based on 586 reviews