RAC Insurance Reviews

58% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"My husband rang to get a quote, and they said it was going to be £4000. Customer service very abrupt, could'nt of cared less wether he accepted or not. Could'nt believe it, how he managed that god only knows."
"Absolutely terrible. I discussed my renewal in great detail with them. Paid the full amount as agreed. I was then told a month later, that due to a problem I had cleared with them early on they, before renewal; hey were cancelling my insurance at five hours notice. Fortunately I was not away. The worst insurance firm I have ever dealt with in some sixty years."
"Worst insurer ever! They don't even deserve one star. Paid for annual car insurance from RAC. One week later received a letter stating they had found another claim I hadn’t declared and that I was at fault. It turned out that the previous insurer made a mistake but after my phone call they changed and updated data that I wasn't at fault. I have sent couple of different proofs from my previous insurer to RAC which they were rejecting all the time. My previous insurer confirmed as well that I had made only one claim. They were constantly changing the guidelines as to what my document should contain. Finally after few weeks, couple of wasted hours trying to exlplain my situation they accepted proof and CHARGED me for nothing £77. From the very beginning, they aroused my suspicion, while they were constantly changing the guidelines of letter from a former insurer. They were doing everything to get money from me including undermining the authenticity of the document from the former insurer, staff wasn't helpfull at all, every time different person and making new guidelines for the letter from the former insurer. I will never buy from them again!"
"Awful customer service. You cannot cancel the auto renewal online, have to call them. When you call you have to listen to a length T&C bit, then speak to machine to get eventually through to a 'real' person. As I was a named driver and not policy holder I was told I could not cancel the renewal. Luckily I had listened a wee bit to the T&C, it said clearly that either policyholder or named drivers could cancel. I told the 'real' person this and he got very upity and short with me, he did cancel it though. Awful service, renewal price was over £50 higher than competitors. NEver use RAC again for this"
"My review would be "0" stars. Called to query about renewal of telematics car insurance. Was put on hold for 10-15 minutes, automated system asking me to choose option 4 for insurance which I did and was then taken to wrong department. Was then out on hold for another 10-15 minutes and was then told that the advisor was not trained to help on telematics and to hold on as I will be put on to the department. I was frustrated at this stage holding on for 30 minutes and asked her not to put me o. A holding system and she said don't worry I will put you directly. Be hold I am still on hold for over 25 minutes, whilst I write this review, absolutely godsmacked. I am at a point now I do not want to renew my contract and will cancel my insurance, god forbid if they do answer my call, crossing fingers. Appalling customer service, not the first time I had to wait so long. Best to go with another insurer"
"I renewed my car insurence & was advised to cancel my direct debit as there was a price increase & a new one would be set up. A couple of week letter i went to print my documents to find they where not there. I chatted with an advisor on line (as last time I called it charged me over £20) and he asvised me that my insurence has not been renewed. He offered to call to rectify which was fine. During the call he said that the price was coming back higher than I was originally quoted by £30 more a month but said he would get his manager to override this as it was their mistake. He calle snack later to say that actually they can’t do this and that my insurence was going from £43 a month to £75! I could have ended up with a fine & points on my license and to top of they tried to rip me off after. Avoid at all costs"
"RAC is synonymous with security and safety to me but I feel this has been mared by your approach to insurance. To put my premium up from £520 to £850 and then £1,027 over 3 years when my circumstances have not changed and I have made no claims. This smacks of how we are being treated and ripped off as lotal customers and I feel utterly abused. I was told I should have called for a better price and if I was a new customer it would have been far far cheaper. I will never use RAC or its services again and I hope the book is finally thrown at insurance companies take advantage of people who don’t have time to explore prices every yea and live by old fashioned principles where loyalty is rewarded. What happened to fairness RAC?"
"Avoid at all cost most unhelpful insurance company ever doubled a premium even though the claim was a no fault claim absolute jokers staff are idiots they also work with sabre they are even worse will never go with the rac again for anything"
"Bad experience with RAC throughout the year last year, vowed would NEVER use them again. Insurance renewal came in and I called and said I wouldn't be renewing insurance for another year was asked by the customer service agent why. It is because the customer service for the previous year had been awful. Just received a text from RAC to say that they have renewed my insurance for another year. I rest my case. SHOCKING service and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Friends and family have also had bad experiences."
"Brought a new car and they wanted an extra £826 to insure , even though I could get new insurance for £679 . I Did get a refund of £156 but was charged £55 cancellation fee . Absolute joke !"
"Awful company wish i had of read the reviews. 2 days late of handing over NCD after already giving info then told not enough. So they cancelled policy and charged £55 cancellation fee plus one months insurance. We had already paid £56 to set up. Customer service was extremely unhelpful and certainly will not be using again."
"I tried to organise insurance post Christmas 2018. Unfortunately due to a typing error on confused.com in regards to a previous claim (two months out) the policy was cancelled. Dispite a refund date of ten days given for monies paid. Twelves days have pasted. On calling rac they informed me that the refund was not made due to a reversal (monies paid not cleared after a week)? Even though showing paid on our account within minutes. So after twelve days of waiting we had to call them and they have now told us it will be seven further days for refund. I find it incredibly frustrating that we pay immeadiately and they are unable to refund for in excess of three weeks. Disgusted by the service we have received. Got a re quote at exactly the same price from O2 and had to pay again! Terrible protocol by rac just refund the money when asked like normal businesses do."
"I had the worst service of my life with the RAC just last week. I was left stranded on the highway for 6 hours, all alone, a female who was stuck from about 3am. At approx. 1am the patrol man came and he was rude, arrogant, and told me his equipment didn't work so he could not diagnose the fault. The reasons his equipment didn't work was because he said that the RAC never supplies him or any of his staff with up to date 'working' equipment to do their jobs. He was taking all his anger out on me at 1am. I called and made a complaint immediately after he left, then wanted a refund, they passed me around form dept to dept with no one knowing their JOBS. In the end I sent numerous emails for a refund and the staff to be spoken to about his actions. They refused a refund. NEVER GO WITH THE RAC they are unreliable and their services are NOT to the standards they claim to be."
"Would advise anyone to not use RAC insurance. They first of all allowed another company to take lead on sorting the claim as a 3rd party. They then reported they did not even know who this company was and took over as the lead 5 months later after numerous calls and complaints. My personal claim was handle very poorly, each time you phone there was no recording of previous conversations so staff had no idea what your claim was. To add to that, RAC then declined everything on the claim despite picture evidence, reciepts of black box fittings and stull refused to fund the amount that should have been paid out. The staff have been extremely rude and try to place the blame on the person not at fault if the it is their clients fault to get out of paying out. DONT NOT USE, I have heard so many stories they will not support you in a claim."
"We tried to claim on damage to our car from another vehicle that opened their door into our moving car. The culprit told his insurance its not his fault even after RAC saw that the evidence was, however RAC could only write a letter as to not rush the matter. We had to deal with the underwriters as RAC could not do anything... so absolutely useless in fighting your corner for a claim, as they wont"
"Been insured with them 10 months after changing my car, my black box was to get fitted on the 20th of this month. After contacting them to advice them on the 19th that the car had broke down and was in the garage for repair. They told me to advice RAC insurance which I did and to reschedual for another appointment to get black box fitted, they have now cancelled my policy and refused to fit the black box at garage. They are also they are a nightmare to get through to on the phone, been on the phone the past 3 days 1hour at a time just waiting to get through to speak to someone. They have also took my NCB off me as I haven’t completed the full year even though I am not at fault it was them that cancelled the policy. On the letter of cancellation it is not the correct spelling of my name and the wrong ref number tberefor my insurance should not be cancelled as its not the correct details. THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH THEM!!"
"They seemed to offer a really good company at first but wanting to add or remove something off your policy is next to impossible I need business insurance for work they have told me my payment has gone from £137 to £334 a month which is disgusting and then told me my 7 month no claims bonus will start again it doesn’t count. So because this is no good to me they are requesting over £100 to cancel my insurance I have never missed a payment and had perfect score on my black box and now I need help they are basically telling me they is nothing they can do unless I pay out money I don’t have I would not recommend this insurance company"
"Awful customer service, originally quoted £30 a month, went upto £60 as my husband had claims against him, charged £25 amendment fee, then charged another amendment fee of £25 to remove him off the policy. Car insurance alone was still £45 a month, to cancel it's £55 + the rest of the month, and would still have to pay amendment fees. They wrote to me 3 weeks later so after cooling period had ended. They are theives, avoid at all costs. Plus the fact I was put on hold for 15 minutes. Complete joke of a company."
"This company is an absolute joke tried to get extra money out me because they said my NCB was not received I had posted and emailed it and they still said it had not been received and £55 charge would be put in place on top or cancelled Would never use them again"
"Upon being charged more for my insurance the originally quoted I immediately cancelled my insurance with them and requested a refund, I was reinsured that everything was cancelled and that the refund was processed and will take between 3-10 days to come back in, not trusting online companies after 5 days I contacted them again to make sure the refund had been processed as i was previously told turns out it hadn't and that i would have to wait up to a further 8 days to get this refund afterwards i reached out to them on twitter to 100% confirm i was getting my refund i was told to DM them my details and they would get back to me and surprise surprise they never did i can't believe how useless and uncaring they are when it comes to giving people their money back. if you have recently cancelled i would advise chasing them or they will all be having a nice holiday in our expense"
RAC Insurance is rated 3.31 based on 471 reviews