RAC Insurance Reviews

55% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"Making a no fault claim has been a farce. The RAC promote the services of Enterprise, who arrange repairs and car hire. You end up doing the chasing of the other insurance company, getting the other party/Enterprise/RAC/repairer to talk to each other. When I have made a claim in the past I have gone to the broker who sorts everything all out for you, seamlessly. In this case RAC is the broker, it is not a seamless process. I would not recommend RAC in this instance."
"Call out when my car failed to start on Holiday, took 3 hours to arrive and charged me £110.99 for a new battery after fully checking all car electrics. Next day drove my son to alton towers and on way back electric seemed to go dead. Pulled over at 22:30 in dark and popped bonnet expecting to have to tighten the connection. Battery was on fire. Grabbed my son and ran down hard shoulder. Car went up in fireball 5 mins later. Closed the M6 with 4 fire engines to put it out. Car was a right-off and RAC denied all responsibility. Also Insurance Co. could not confirm cause due to the severity of the damage to the engine bay. RAC getting away scott free. On complaining they simply refunded the battery cost as a goodwill gesture and declined any legal responsibility. The car was a 2010 Mazda 6 with regular servicing in immaculate condition. Given I saw the battery on fire and nothing else, and the car had been checked by their engineers the day before and given the all-clear before they then fitted the battery, I will let you decide what you think to the cause but I dont believe in that level of coincidence and will never use them again. It's a shame you have to enter at least one star to submit a review. ** STAY CLEAR IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE *** -- Reply to Hannah--- Thank you for the reply however it remains that either :- 1) The RAC Engineer missed something life threatening wrong with the car during his extensive testing, Or 2) The battery fitted by the RAC engineer was done poorly, Or 3) The battery itself was faulty. In all 3 scenarios the RAC are in my mind at fault, either by incompetence or supply of faulty goods. Also at the time of logging the call no mention was made by RAC indicating they were in any way checking other batteries in the same batch to prevent any further occurrence of this - Be wary if they fit (or have fitted) a type '003' battery to your vehicle! When I rang to cancel the policy with the same person who had already been dealing with my complaint he even had the cheek to ask 'Why?' ... honestly you cannot make this up"
"RAC car insurance sucks. The customer care sucks! RAC don’t actually offer car insurance, they are a broker! We sadly had to make a claim as some9ne hit my wife’s car. RAC passed the claim to a claims management company, who in turn passed the claim to another. The claim was never resolved. I could have contacted a no win no fee claims management company, I didn’t insure with the RAC for them to simply pass off my claim, I expected them to manage it. The RAC is a joke, you might as well not be insured!"
"They refused to transfer my policy with 8 months to run. THEY ONLY WOULD SELL ME A NEW POLICY. TERRIBLE COMPANY."
"Very pleasantly surprised that this company could provide a very comprehensive house insurance policy at a VERY competitive price. Hope they can femain competitive at renewal time."
(Home Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
"Terrrible customer service i sorted my sons insurance got an email saying no need to see his 9 years no claims money went out my bank for the full year payment next thing i get is a letter saying they are cancelling insurance on 13/12/17 as havent received documents i had no email no mail asking for documents anyways documents emailed twice now and no email to say received and when checked on my online account there is money getting repaid into my account with quite a bit of it not getting paid back and hes been insured for less than a month it seems like they just dont want the business absolutely disgusting service and very stressful"
"DO NOT EVER insure your car in this company. They cancelled my insurance without my permission and engineer while fitting the box destroy the panel! No other help from company!"
"Wouldn't recommend for learner or new drivers. Black box policy is reasonable price (£550 approx) while learning but rockets to almost £4000 when test passed. To add to the insult when cancelling the policy they say throw the black box away having charged to fit it! Then had to pay £150 to new insurer to fit another one as they're not compatible. 😩 Add all that to hours on hold and no I wouldn't recommend them. Saddest thing is that nobody reads these reviews so confirming the view that RAC have no interest in customer service."
"Wish i read these bad reviews before i took out insurance with RAC. My premium went up because i supposedly didn't declare a so called claim. My previous insurance admitted on their error they put i had claims when i didn't. I had only had a notification but no claim. RAC asked for proof, so my previous sent me proof in writing that they had updated their system to no claim made, notification only. RAC then realised because of this error they would have to lower my premium back to its original price but instead they decided to cancel my policy without reason. And I'm still awaiting refund of my deposit money. It's strange that when they thought i had a claim on my file they were quick to higher my premium but as soon as they realise it was an error they decide to cancel it instead of lowering it back. Just want to steal your money. I will also be cancelling my RAC breakdown cover."
"Took out Van insurance with RAC , then changed to a Car 3 months later , when I phoned to cancel they said I was with Aviva not RAC , run round the Houses, Aviva saying they had no record of me ! When things were eventually sorted out after 3 phone calls and emails , I was told by email that my refund would be £134.66 as I was taking out RAC car insurance , Just checked my Bank account and they have only paid in £104.70 ! Seems like they tell lies just like alot of the big Insurers ! I wont be using them next year !"
"is it possible to give zero stars ? Took out insurance and paid in full. Twice sent proofof NCD. third time lucky and they accepted it, however because the new letter showed 6 years NCD and not 5 as I had previously proved, I was charged £82.25 for the amendment (pressing one button I presume). Complete rip off. STAY CLEAR at all costs would be my advice."
"I have never been treated so badly by any company I have had dealings with. The staff are rude. I cancelled my home insurance policy to go with another company as the RAC quote was quite ridiculous. Weeks later I received a phone call telling me I was in arrears with my payments. I telephoned again (at a premium rate) I was passed from incompetent person to incompetent person until I was finally told they had no record of my cancelling. They said this would be rectified and that would be fine. Again some weeks later I received quite a bullying letter saying I was still in arrears and my case would be passed to debt collectors. I again telephoned (at no small cost) only to be told I had never cancelled. I had to provide proof that I had other insurance which I did and I was told someone would ring be back later that day. No one did. Again I received another letter, now telling me they had cancelled my policy but that I had fees to pay or they would again send my debt to a recovery department. I WOULD NOT recommend anyone to get insurance from this company."
"Rac was the broker for aviva On the 27 th april 2016 they cancelled my dad's insurance without notice . I rang to see why they said he had a claim in march 2015 it was settled on 25 th april 2016 and the cost of the repair was to high so they cant insure him any more , the renewal was up in 4 weeks , i had to argue and fight to get his no claims , rac and aviva blame each other for cancelling the policy. This claim was listed when the insurance was talen out ... JOKE STAY CLEAR !!!"
"Sold car and was not renewing. Was charged £55 for cancellation. When I challenged this the operator was rude and argumentative. I would not use RAC again."
"Beware. They have renewed my contract by themself. They have charged me a new price: 400% higher than my previous bills. Then, an extremely condenscending customer representative told me it is my fault, and ordered to pay hefty cancelation fee. You are now warned"
"Great service that’s quick and easy to use."
"I had to cancel my insurance because they put up the cost due to incorrect information held by them and the underwriters. The insurance had not even started but they charged me £25 for cancelling. I have tried to get this money back but they never answer the emails and the people on the phone are useless. Big company must need my £25. Promised to reply to my email on a certain date and haven't, and that was the email to the top of the business. There for the motorist!!!!!!"
"My husband rang to get a quote, and they said it was going to be £4000. Customer service very abrupt, could'nt of cared less wether he accepted or not. Could'nt believe it, how he managed that god only knows."
"Offhand and brief when contacted by phone. Extremely officious in all communication. Expected the world and gave little in return."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 months ago
"RAC had decided To take virtually all aspects of my score down to 0 despite the car not moving! They are constantly taking my score down drastically, which would be fine of there was justification for it. When reviewing my journeys there are not reports of speeding or harsh breaking, yet my score is randomly lowered without explanation... also very high price point. Feels like one big money making scheme, attempting to make your score lower so that the charge increases in the following year..."
RAC Insurance is rated 3.21 based on 519 reviews