RAC Insurance Reviews

Cancellations & Refunds
Cancellation Process
Difficult

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy
DO NOT GET BLACK BOX INSURANCE FROM THESE PEOPLE !
I went with RAC for my son because I thought I could trust them . Being the RAC you think they would be a reputable company . WRONG !
This was my sons 3rd year of insurance and we never had a problem with his previous insurer or his driving . In fact it was Tesco would actually rewarded him with extra miles for good driving at the end of the month .
Should have realised it was trouble after the first 19 miles he’d driven . Received a red warning for driving too often in an urban area and at night . Totally ridiculous as we live in an urban area . Why insure someone who lives in an urban area if you’re not allowed to drive in it ! Anyway after a long conversation on the phone they removed it . Then suddenly he got 2 more red warnings in succession for breaking too hard on 9 occasions in a month . If someone brakes in front of you or pulls out are you supposed to just hit them then . Then they said he drove at 31 mph in a 30 zone . Who’s to say their box is the same as the speedo . No one wanted to come and check and the guy was very arrogant on the phone when I asked them to . Finally they said they were going to cancel his policy because of these stupid restrictions . Their only advice was to drive below the speed limit to be sure . Not very helpful at all . If they had cancelled his policy it would have had to be declared on future applications and then his insurance would have gone sky high , so I bit the bullet and cancelled it myself before they could do any damage . It meant he lost no claims bonus but saved us a few thousand in renewal elsewhere. NEVER EVEN THINK ABOUT INSURING WITH RAC . Read reviews first . My mistake was I didn’t because if I had I’d never have used them from all the bad reviews on here . Good luck anyone who has .
Can’t bloody wait for my policy to end! I’m a really careful driver, yet my score is constantly poor. Out of a score of 100 my braking score has been as low as 0. My urban score is poor. I live and drive to work only passing villages !
Also to top it off every single day I have an email saying I’ve disconnected my box. I don’t even know where it is....

I’ve email them before saying I think my black box is faulty. Without even coming to physical check it they can confirm the box is working efficiently.
100% AVOID. THEY ARE RUTHLESS. GO WITH DIRECT LINE INSURANCE. AVOID AVOID AVOID
Terrible terrible company, STAT AWAY. They sent out a black box for me to fit myself because the mechanics wouldn't come out to do it. The black box turned up 1 days before the cancellation point of it not being fitted. I fitted it to the car and it blew all of the fuses and the car wouldn't start, rac blackbox then said that it had to be fitted even if the car wasn't usable. They also refused to pay for the damage that the box did to all of the fuses, its a brand new car only 1000 miles on the clock and they wouldnt sort it, they then said it had to be fitted by 5pm that evening or they would cancel it. So tried to fit it again to prove it was connected, and then received an email telling me that they had cancelled my policy anyway. So now I'm left with no insurance and a brand new car with the fuses broken to the point where it won't turn on. I dog could run that company better then the people working there, they have no interest in helping at all.
I wish I'd known about these con artists before my son took out his insurance.
He's 21 and just had his black box insurance cancelled, saying he's had three alerts, of which only the last one arrived.
When we eventually got through, it was someone working from home, who said we would get a call back. Someone called back NOT the same day but the day after and when we queried the lack of alerts, we were told they didn't officially need to, so tough luck (in as many words) I asked how was he meant to know he was at risk of cancellation if no alerts came, and alter his driving. We were told we could have rung at any time we wanted to check!?!?! and/or log on to the app (which hardly ever works and is never showing current data)
We were told there is nothing that can be done, despite me asking to wait until proof of how they calculated the driving score and proof of the email alerts that were claimed to have been sent.
The guy on the phone got quite shirty when I was asking questions and wanting answers and basically told me that's how it is (basically sticking two fingers up)
I am still awaiting the promised email of proof four days later.
Oh and they want to charge my son to cancel the policy, even though it's them cancelling it, they say there is a cancellation fee of over £100!!!!
Absolute joke of an insurance company. Just suppose glad we didn't need to use them for a claim.
AVOID
RAC black box insurance is the biggest con the world has. I was driving home from the football match on the 22/2/20. Traffic is bad as it’s match day, I was travelling at 40mph (the speed limit) On a duel carriage way (the road could quite easily be 60mph) a ambulance was right behind me with lights on, I couldn’t get in other lane as it was busy so I sped up to 63mph (alright it was over limit) but in this case on the high way code it says you can speed up to move out of the way. I never over took the ambulance or anything which is illegal to do that, I moved into the other lane about 1/4 mile up road and that was that, back to normal driving. I got a email and a letter saying my insurance is getting cancelled for excessive speed limit. Now this is first time I’ve actually been told about my driving, my overall score is good, I’ve done this to simply get out of way of a ambulance the was in a emergency. RAC are now trying to charge me £189 for THEM cancelling my insurance. They never gave me a reason on the email for cancellation I had to ring them. Anyone else heard of this utter bollox cause I’m not paying that.
Terrible service don't use!!!!! No claims bonus was 20 or so days past 2 years old. No clear notification where no Claims bonus is entered, that they must be less than two years old. Unfortunately I'm not an insurance expert so did not know this. been an rac customer for over ten years in relation to my car breakdown. Will be cancelling that as well. Customer service rude and not even worthy of a star.
Low Quotes on compare websites to Huck you in & hit you with massive price, I don't know how they are still allowed on compare websites. This company under cuts genuine quotes then does not give you a "buy it now" option, so you have to ring up and then BOOM! The slick sales patter and the friendly sounding sales manner is all a ploy to distract from the fact that the quote was nothing other than a door-to-door sales man sticking his foot in the door. The quotes are fake, You will get ripped off, AVOID THE FIRM......Ohhh and if you do get sucked in by the sales patter, when you realize its not a good policy, and you cancel it...DO NOT EXPECT A REFUND..THEY WILL KEEP YOUR MONEY AND CLAIM ITS FOR ADMIN FEES
100% AVOID BLACK BOX INSURANCE. THEY ARE RUTHLESS AND THREATENING. GO WITH DIRECT LINE INSURANCE - NO ISSUES FOR 2 YEARS
DO NOT GET INSURED BY RAC BLACK BOX!!! AVOID. Biggest stress you do not need
DO NOT USE! Terrible communication and ridiculously bad telematics service.
Absolutely rubbish.

Dooooooooooo not even think about taking insurance from them

I wish I never moved from Tesco.
I wasted my 3 lunch breaks over 3 days until they answered the phone, I told them that they said we submitted your complaint and someone will call you, it’s 9 weeks now but no call from them.
I missed last payment, I rang to pay it they charged me £20 extra.

Dooooooooooo not even think about taking insurance from them

eeeeeeven if it’s cheaper than othe companies.
Making a no fault claim has been a farce. The RAC promote the services of Enterprise, who arrange repairs and car hire. You end up doing the chasing of the other insurance company, getting the other party/Enterprise/RAC/repairer to talk to each other. When I have made a claim in the past I have gone to the broker who sorts everything all out for you, seamlessly. In this case RAC is the broker, it is not a seamless process. I would not recommend RAC in this instance.
Call out when my car failed to start on Holiday, took 3 hours to arrive and charged me £110.99 for a new battery after fully checking all car electrics. Next day drove my son to alton towers and on way back electric seemed to go dead. Pulled over at 22:30 in dark and popped bonnet expecting to have to tighten the connection. Battery was on fire. Grabbed my son and ran down hard shoulder. Car went up in fireball 5 mins later. Closed the M6 with 4 fire engines to put it out. Car was a right-off and RAC denied all responsibility. Also Insurance Co. could not confirm cause due to the severity of the damage to the engine bay. RAC getting away scott free. On complaining they simply refunded the battery cost as a goodwill gesture and declined any legal responsibility. The car was a 2010 Mazda 6 with regular servicing in immaculate condition. Given I saw the battery on fire and nothing else, and the car had been checked by their engineers the day before and given the all-clear before they then fitted the battery, I will let you decide what you think to the cause but I dont believe in that level of coincidence and will never use them again.

It's a shame you have to enter at least one star to submit a review.

** STAY CLEAR IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE ***

-- Reply to Hannah---
Thank you for the reply however it remains that either :-

1) The RAC Engineer missed something life threatening wrong with the car during his extensive testing, Or
2) The battery fitted by the RAC engineer was done poorly, Or
3) The battery itself was faulty.

In all 3 scenarios the RAC are in my mind at fault, either by incompetence or supply of faulty goods.

Also at the time of logging the call no mention was made by RAC indicating they were in any way checking other batteries in the same batch to prevent any further occurrence of this - Be wary if they fit (or have fitted) a type '003' battery to your vehicle!

When I rang to cancel the policy with the same person who had already been dealing with my complaint he even had the cheek to ask 'Why?' ... honestly you cannot make this up
As a retired insurance and automotive professional I was asked by my 38 year daughter to help out with the renewal of her car insurance which had increase by £200 despite no claims or convictions. Using a comparison web site the solution was RAC Black Box Insurance, I am familiar with telematics, however there was no explanation as to the RAC driver scoring system but I was not too concerned since the car is in London most of the time. Black Box fitting requires direct wiring to the battery which must be clean for double sided sponge tape to secure. This my daughter was unable to do so threatened with cancellation and £125 fee by RAC, a neighbour attempted to fit box. As the box is not firmly secure on top of the battery she consistently gets 0 score for acceleration and braking. I now have access to her online driving telemetry and have found instances where the driving score is completely wrong due to GPS errors (speed on dual carriage way under urban single lane bridge ). Also as a London driver the urban score is always very low. Some months she does less than 200 miles which means there is no score ...Just as well as if you score less that 20% 3 times you policy will be cancelled and your record given to other insurance companies. That's called a RAC Red Event...not as bad as a RAC Black Event in which case they cancel immediately... that's for speed in excess of 20 mph of the limit.
Customer support is poor and certainly inline with other comments on these reviews.
So the terms and conditions are not made clear to the insured when they enter into the contract. The RAC driver measuring system cannot be reconciled by the insured, the results being displayed online with no system of appeal.
The legality of an RAC Black Box Insurance Contract needs now to be challenged.
I would give them 0 stars if I could - please please avoid this company, worst experience ever. I got my policy cancelled with no notification because of an error in their system - issue still hasn't been solved 1 month later, called them hundreds of times, nobody knows anything - zero coordination from their side. Plus, some of their staff are ridiculously rude
Hi everyone,
I have only one aim is to either cancell my contract or get the black box removed from my car.
I'm an extremely upset customer because of the ridiculous system of RAC black box. It pulls my score low and none of the customer service staff are able to explain it why & what the numbers/values mean in the report. Although I drive very slow including acceleration, braking etc, it somehow drags my score down like I was a potential threat to people on the road. I'm a very good and careful driver with NO accident (not even a scratch) in 15 years and definetly no problem with car insurance companies. I record every journey with my dash cam and seeing what RAC evaluate as dangerous driving is a careful and normal style of driving with no sign of danger and excessive acceleration or braking. So what is going on? For me this company shows itself as a cheater, a scam that tries to make money from contract cancellations. Now I'm not surprised RAC has one of the worst review among insurance companies. DO NOT contract with this company at all. You will end up crazy becausyou won't even know why. Seriously.
I wish I had read the reviews before taking out insurance.
On completion of form and payment made I noticed that even though I wanted a courtesy car it mentions no guarantee you would get one.
You can pay extra to guarantee courtesy car.
I phone customer service within 5 mins of payment and they said that although you get a free courtesy car, its only if one is available at the time.
I could pay a fee to guarantee one though.
When I asked to cancel as I only took insurance out 5 minutes ago, I was told there is a £25 fee.
It was cheaper to pay the guarantee cost.
Wont be going with them next year.
RAC cancelled my policy because "there" underwriters couldn't insure me on a less powerful car.. (golf R to Ford Focus) They then say its MY choice to change policy .. WTF really!! So, for this pleasure I have to pay £80 odd quid.. absolute RIPOFF just for someone to press a button and send an email..
I know it's hard to contact firms whilst the world has gone mad with covid 19
However i have emailed and phoned constantly for weeks without any reply
Not even an acknowledgement to say they have received my email and will deal with it in due course
Very quick to take your money tho
First and last time I will use RAC