RAC Insurance Reviews

of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance
Telephone, Live Chat, Email

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy
I did my car and my wife’s car insurance on the internet the rac was not the cheapest but because they are a big company I thought it what be better to deal with them what a mistake a big one I have just finished work so fit the past 5 to 6 years me and my wife we’re insured with my company motor traders policy and they gave me written proof in writing of our no claims discount on the internet there is no wording they don’t recognise people on motor policy so the saga begins they take my money and insurance is given to us then after 7 days ask for proof of our no claims which I forwarded to them then after a while they email and sent a text to me sYing I was covered but had to pay another £13 which I did but said after another couple of weeks my wife isn’t covered and would have to start from scratch and build her no claims up and they wanted to make another £300 off me all because she had been on a motor traders policy when I told them I was as well but you approved my insurance she went off on one and then told me my policy would have to start from scratch when ask to speak to someone higher up it was a no go they won’t ring you back or nothing they just try and bully you to get a lot more money out off you and when the policy was cancelled they gave the cheek to charge you money for there mistake if when doing the policy they say no motor traders insurance no claims would nit be acceptable you then look at a proper insurance company so beware keep away from this company
Do not use the RAC Car Insurance. They are only a broker. We tried to make a claim and was told car was 15 years old and we would only get scrap value by Acromas who is the company RAC use. The repair was £550 the car value was £3000 poor customer service spend 2 hours trying to get through and constantly holding on the phone. RAC don't want to know just keep telling you to phone Acromas.
Hopeless customer service. They don't answer the phone. hung on for ages to be repeatedly told that the very next person who is free would take my call. They didn't answer. Why is it necessary to mislead people in this way and why don't they answer their calls.
RAC called me when my mileage went up, however when my mileage reduced conciderably they still wanted to increase my monthly costs. This isn't logical as the explaination for increasing the amount is because I was more at risk of an accident because I was on the road more. So by that rationale the less miles would mean I was at less risk, nope not according to this greedy company. STAY AWAY!!!
Absolutely shocking service. After two missed phone calls there was no further effort to contact me and the numbers on the website wouldn't work. After each attempt it would say the number wasn't currently working. A week before my black box fitting deadline I finally got a call back telling me that my insurance would be cancelled due to my lack of correspondence, despite the fact i'd attempted to call and the emails which had apparently been sent to me were nowhere to be found either in my inbox or spam filter. I only received £86 of the initial £140 i paid regardless of the fact that I'd done everything I could to try and arrange a fitting. I will at least admit that the people on the phone were polite and helpful but when that's the only positive out of the entire experience it should be cause for alarm. Absolutely appalled at the experience and will warn people away from using them.
Due to the much publicised power outage we had train tickets we couldn't use. They were advance tickets and we were told no refunds by the train company. RAC classed the incident as disruption, and told us disruption wasn't covered. We bought travel insurance expecting, as most people would, that this was exactly the sort of thing that would be insured. I wonder what tiny proportion of claims they actually pay out on. Worthless. Don't bother wasting your money with RAC travel insurance.
AVOID AVOID AVOID I had no choice but to have a black box. The cheapest options were between O2 and RAC. O2 advertise that they have curfews so decided to go with the RAC as they advertise "No curfews and choose your own mileage limit So drive where you want, when you want" The day my box was installed I found this to be false. I drove across town (a small market town with a population of 9000). I received a notification stating that my urban score has fallen below the set threshold. Confused I checked the app and found that my driving was marked on speeding, acceleration, braking, urban driving and night time driving! Despite the website only saying that I'd be scored on speeding, acceleration and braking! My driving has been perfect but due to urban and night time driving my score has been regularly in the low 80's! I can appreciate that accidents are more likely in an urban area and during the night, however my little town is NOT urban and 5am-7pm is NOT night time! My shift pattern can be anywhere from 6am-8pm and I have an hour commute, had I known my score would drop so dramatically I would never have gone with the RAC! I phoned to complain and cancel just a couple days after taking out the policy, for just 2 days cover there was a cancellation fee of over £100, this was not an option as I had just forked out over £200 for the deposit! I put in a formal complaint at the end of May and heard NOTHING from them until the beginning of August. They admitted full responsibility and admitted that the website is completely false, I was offered some compensation and told that they would waver any cancellation fees if I still wanted to cancel my policy (3 months late!!!) I was relatively happy with the response I eventually received. Checking the website more recently I've found that they are still advertising in exactly the same way!! Meaning that more young people, like myself will be taking out this policy and then getting completely SCREWED OVER! Clearly, they don't care and haven't learnt from their mistake. I will be taking this to trading standards and the financial ombudsman and warning absolutely everyone I can about this awful company. DON'T GET A BLACK BOX FROM THE RAC
My granddaughter has just had her car insurance cancelled by RAC. She had 2 weeks to go until her first full year was completed with no incidents and a black box performance number consistently over 90%. They gave 7 days notice with no explanation. Now she will not get her 1st years NCB, and her premium with another company will be a LOT higher due to a policy cancellation. Apparently RAC do this all of the time with new drivers. My recommendation - do NOT use RAC for any type of insurance as they are a rip-off company. Totaly thoughtless and useless.
Hanging on listening to music for 30 minutes, yet for 25 of them, "the very next person free will take my call "! Think i may just give up.
New policy this year, lost my wallet and hadn't got a new card just before my monthly renewal and got charged £20 for a late payment - literally nothing I could have done about it. Contacted customer services and was told that a refund would be unfair on other customers - seems like they are being unfair to everyone to me. "Customer is always wrong" mentality, won't be renewing with them I can tell you. AVOID.
Claimed for water damage. This has taken in all.... 6 weeks in total. Firstly told me to get my own builder.. Then had to send everything over to them.. Email. They didn't agree with this. Got there own people to come look.. 2 men.. Then after over week of that advised my builders were cheaper after all... Then got told last Monday it wld take up 7 working days for funds to be paid into my account. Called following Tuesday. Got told it won't be in till Thursday. Worst insurance company I have been with.. Never again!! Stressed to the max.
Disgraceful after sales service, appallingly expensive, difficult to contact and shoddy business ethics.
Be careful of the cancellation charges they apply if you cancel before you finish the ‘12 month contact’ you enter into. Daylight robbery.
Took out RAC travel insurance in January 2019 for a trip to Australia in October. Unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with cancer in April. I informed them of the fact and that her treatement is now finished and she has been cleared to travel in October. The RAC said to continue to be covered we will have to pay them an extra £200. Apparently it is in the policy document somewhere. Cancelled and got a better deal (with the cancer diagnosis) with InsuranceWith. They take you money but will worm their way out of any claim if they can. Don't trust them.
5 weeks since I had my car accident and despite numerous phone calls and an official complaint my car remains unfixed. This is a disgrace of a company and I would advise everyone to run away from them. They weren’t the cheapest either. I’ve never been involved with such an incompetent bunch of employees and am currently now involved with the ombudsman. I wouldn’t even merit this crowd with one star if I had a choice but the system doesn’t allow me otherwise.
Been on hold for hour Bet if I selected new customer they would answer straight away Use someone else Or if you have hours to spare listening to hideous music select these guys
Very nasty on the and and charge for anything they can. cancelled my insurance and said, I would pay the cancellation fee next week , Then I was asked about my financial situation . I would honestly not recommend this company to anyone. please shop around.
The worst company I’ve ever dealt with, completely inept staff with a non existent level of customer service. I’m now into week 4 of a no fault claim. This company have asked me to attempt of retrieve information from the police so they don’t have to pay £90 to get the report from them. I have had to ask around for dashcam footage and a witness, basically I’m doing their job for them!! They have sat on their hands and been extremely unhelpful. I had a hit and run by a local building company delivering building materials to my property, they reversed their van into my car then denied they had done it but fortunately a neighbour witnessed it happen. A no fault accident - Rac insurance expect me to pay £400 excess and take the claim against me, it makes life easier for them! Not a chance!! So I sit here with no working vehicle while they twiddle their thumbs, rather than obtain the police report and arrange a courtesy car and the repair of my car. I’ve been shunted from pillar to post over 3 different companies. I’ve spent £40 on phone calls so far but the disinterest I’ve experienced has been shocking. I would NEVER USE RAC insurance again and will make sure everyone I know hears about this pathetic excuse for a business. They also encompass SAGA insurance so be sure to avoid them too. I’ve never experienced anything like it. Disgraceful!!
Contacted them 3 weeks ago when a car scratched mine at the petrol station. Passed from pillar to post ever since. Various people ringing me regarding the repairs all telling me something different. Absolutely awful service and so stressful. Almost identical incident last year while with Tesco insurance who I'd been with for years,A all done and repaired in less than 2 weeks. I certainly won't be staying with RAC when it's time to renew!
Just called RAC insurance to inform them that I had sold my car and they automatically cancelled the policy. I explained that I will be getting another car within the next few days and they said that I couldn't insure a car that I don't own, I explained that I had no intention of cancelling the policy, I only need to hold it until my next car comes. She was having none of it - cancelled policy - charged £55 for them cancelling the policy and I now have no insurance at all so potentially can't pick up a car and call them to put it in cover. Be warned - this is just a moneymaker I have never been treated like this by any insurance company but I will certainly be asking a lot of questions before taking out another policy
RAC Insurance is rated 2.96 based on 603 reviews