RAC Insurance Reviews

56% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"waste of my time, after listening to the longest ever terms and conditions for what seemed an eternity. I expect to hear a bit where the insurance company covers itself but i have never heard anything like it. it went on forever......i was warned by the nice young lady that it would take about 30 mins to get a quote!! obviously i questioned why it would take so long but agreed to give it a go. 10 mins in and we are still on my details, they wanted to know everything! when i heard the question on what date did you pass your driving test? i was 17 and gave a rough month as i have no idea ( i am 46 ) we cannot go any further unless you have the correct date she exclaimed. At that point i knew this wasn't going to work. If you have time to spare and like listening to someone speak at you then the RAC is perfect! otherwise go somewhere else and enjoy the 15 mins of it on something entertaining."
"Stay clear be aware"
"I insure my car with the RAC, nearly three weeks ago I was rear-ended by a drive who accepted responsibility. I have been contacted by a personal insurance injury solicitor who is dealing with the personal injury claim with a great deal of enthusiasm. However, apart from sorting out a hire car and getting my car taken away for "assessment" by a car breaker, I've heard nothing about repair. Today I received a call from the car hire company who informed me that the hire agreement has been extended, and they understand my car is a write off. I phoned the number I have for the RAC to discuss the situation - this turns out to be yet another department of the car hire company - and they say that they believe the car was written off over a week ago, although when they attempted to phone the engineer he was apparently "looking at the report" so the information was unavailable. They will phone me today. It appears to be impossible to just speak to my insurer - RAC pass you on to numerous other (non-insurance) companies who have their own agendas (personal injury lawyers who take a 25% cut of any award and car hire companies who presumably have no reason to want to reduce the length of time you are having to hire a car - the car hire is taken care of by the other parties insurance but the addition £7 a day to avoid crippling costs due to any minor damage is down to me). Not happy with the RAC."
"I do not wish to say anything"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
"Expensive compared to most providers. Also I've got married and moved house in the year of being with rac and for a simple change of address and changing wife's name, they have charged me for both change of details, absolute shambles! 100% leaving as soon as my year is up. Do not need to charge for amendments to details."
"Terrible service, nothing but lies and excuses"
"We have quite cheaper quotes from different countries"
"disgusting and disgraceful service last night 23 nov 2016 , i had the misfortune to breakdown and forced to call the rac whom we have been with since the year 1982 . i rang up the breakdown line at 7pm, it wasnt until 9.15pm that they eventually sent out a (local mechanic) to come and look at my vehicle, i was told on the telephone by the telephone operative i wasnt to worry they are mechanics . anyway the driver from burrows attended and he greeted me, and did nothing more than shine a torch under my van and say "have to tow you mate" so he proceeded to ask me to back my van upto his tow truck as he would have to tow me with my backend off the floor incase the brakes locked up . he then towed me where i wanted togo which was a friends house . He dropped off my vehicle and went on his way . I had a sleepless night, thinking over and over how the rac boast about fixing 4 out of 5 cars / vehicles by the roadside . so i rang customer services at 6am this morning the 24th nov 2016 . and i proceeded to tell my story about the local agent and that i felt he didnt investigate my issues fully all he written on his notes was "brakes" ?? and that could they please send a real racman out to me with a computer etc etc to properly access my vehicle . this they agreed too and this morning they attended , the rac driver proceeded to actually drive my vehicle with me as the passenger and witness goings on with the vehicle, he plugged in his computer and said there was no faults coming up, and best thing for us todo is get it to a garage for repair so he would take me to a rac approved garage 4 miles away called trs (near ilkeston) .. to my horror he said "follow me" and he had me drive my vehicle despite me being towed the previous night as not to dammage my vehicle ( i presume) anyway i drove my vehicle 4 miles follwing the rac man and all the way i could sense something was happening and wasnt right , but as he was the professional i didnt question once what i was being asked todo was anything wrong we arrive at trs, he seems to know the woman behind the desk very well, they have a small joke between themselves as she asked him if he had sent a report through yet or just hasnt bothered as usual . He told her what he thought was wrong with the vehicle which was a faulty abs sensor , and nothing more . i was then led outside to a fiat 500 car to take home and i would receive a phonecall from the garage to let me know there findings . Around 2pm trs ring me to say that my vehicle has a totally collapsed rear wheel bearing and it looks to have taken out the abs sensor and the cost to have this fixed would be £277 . too be honest the bill surprised me aswell as shocked me, and i got to thinking "how on earth did the rac man miss the issue, and why did he had me drive 4 + something miles to a garage when i have been recovered the previous night purposely with my rear wheels lifted off the floor .. so in effect i feel that due to being made to drive my vehicle to the garage it has damaged my vehicle further resulting in the bill i am going to receive for rectification works to my vehicle . So i decided to ring rac customer service to tell them of my story and issues of the last 24 hours i spoke to a Miss Kitching , who was very unhelpful and actually rude and aloof towards me, and just stuck up for the driver and his actions , but she would forward a complaint to the correct department , despite telling me she was the customer service executive ... i asked to speak to someone higher and whom it was and she said Miss Parker isnt here today she is ill, and i wont be forwarding you even if she wasnt . And that i am to now ask the garage for a report of my vehicle, and if the garage what to charge me to write a report then i must pay that cost . All this i found further disgraceful , especially as we have been lifelong members of the rac and its services . She left the phone call saying i would get a email and i would have to send the report to her and she may look into it . i thanked her for her time and we both left the conversation .. so now i wait to collect my vehicle and pay the near on £300 . which is appalling considering what ive been through at the hands of rac and its professional workforce . And having been with them since 1982 some 34 years :( appalled doesnt come into it .."
"I have never experienced such bad experience in my life the minimum waiting time for rac is 3 hours very rude staff its been 13 hours and rac has still not managed to recover my car to my home address"
"Disgusting never insure with these ... total scammers"
"I took out Rac car insurance with breakdown cover in may 2016 payed £43.27... then £17.89 the following month... out of the blue i get a letter saying my policy is cancelled... supposedly i should have sent a photo of my log book... which i didnt know.. they also want another £32 .13 next week... which makes £93.29 for two montjs cover... i could almost insure my old car for a hear for that..."
"38 years member - very poor call-out service. Every year the cost of membership keeps rising, without any call outs and no long term Loyalty discount being offered to old customers of 38 years. Unfortunately, recently, I need this call out service, and this particular RAC breakdown man, lacked in knowledge after not be able to find the scanner plug, despite being pointed out to him, and he was unable to fix the vehicle and bombarded us with so called temperature readings and said this vehicle would never start up again, and he called out Westbourne Garage to attend as non-urgent stating 90 minutes waiting time. Westbourne mechanic informed us there was no fuel being pumped, despite having half a tank of diesel. 38 years of Membership being flushed down the toilet. Thank you RAC I will be looking for an alternative breakdown/recovery provider. Disgruntled RAC member of 38 years of Loyal Membership. We would suggest your RAC mechanics need better training. Reluctantly Goodbye."
"They contacted me because battery cover wasn't on it anymore. They contacted me via post & phone."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 years ago
"My concern came when queries arose on number of years no claims. I haven't made a claim or had an accident for 20years but AXA only showed 7. This led to exchanges at the end of which I told RAC if they were unable to resolve l was withdrawing from this quote. Added to this AXA was their chosen provider for me!!! In July I believe I will have difficulties again."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 years ago
"After being hit from behind by a learner driver I contacted RAC to let them know. I was first passed through to a division of Enterprise Rent a car who deal with RAC claims, who then passed me to their car arm to arrange a hire car while mine was awaiting collection in Sunderland to be taken to my hometown in Stoke for repairs. After lots of phone calls by me to various Stoke companies (I more or less had to arrange the collection myself) and 'RAC/Enterprise' they suddenly cancelled my hire car as my car hadn't been picked up by one of their approved repairers, who suddenly said they don't collect from that far away. Another 2 days of phone calls and my car was eventually collected. I now had the issue of getting the repairers to do a proper job (my car is automatic and was shunted out of park). All of this was being sorted out with another third party company that look after authorising work to be done for the insurance companies. These do not work in your best interest. Even after getting advice from Land Rover and the gearbox manufacturer that a shunt from behind whilst in park would almost certainly damage the gearbox< AMS refused to have it looked at, leaving me to have the gearbox checked at my expense. The rest of the cosmetic damage was sorted out without issue. After complaining to RAC, they referred me back to AMS who just flatly refused to do anything. Meanwhile as I was disputing this with AMS, Enterprise demanded my hire car back!!. All in all RAC have done themselves no favours by outsourcing their entire operation to a range of companies that do not talk to each other, leaving you do most of their work for them, whilst wishing you'd gone elsewhere. Goodness know how difficult my experience would have been had the accident been my fault!!!! AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE ..... on top of this they now want to increase my premium by 30%. WHAT A JOKE!!"
"I spent almost thirty minutes waiting on the telephone for a live human voice so that I could cancel the overpriced automatic renewal notice that I had received. Awful service"
"I MY CAR INSURANCE ,I added my wife as second driver at that time she had professional licence .after 3 months she passed full driving licence. I contact with rac and update my wife driving status but they didn't update my policy. They forced to cancel my policy and given new 1 year policy and take £625 extra. .. After 1 weeks I got new cheaper policy from tesco. .I cancelled rac policy and save big money"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 years ago
"Customer service was very helpful in sorting everything out for me"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 3 years ago
"For the first time in my life (insurance since 1982) I feel I have been betrayed and uttley let down by an insurance company. Whilst they are polite over the phone, they are simply a rip-off should you need to change your car midway though your policy year. Id avoid at all costs and you'll save money to boot! Simply, I sold my old car having first transferred my plate off. This plate went on retention for new car. £25 sir but we'll waive the further charge for re-registering your next vehicle. Number plate put on next car with two months of buying it (DVLA slow), call them to advise of change - "no problem sir". Stopped by police in September as car coming up not insured - checked its original number and that was fine. Call RAC next morning to resolve only to find that the existing policy would no longer quote/insure my car. All I'd done was change the number plate. The new quote was over £100 more and bearing in mind I'd paid more in the first place for a simpler life made it now instantly over £100 more than an online policy through a popular search engine. To rub salt in the would they refunded my a paltry amount despite them effectively forcing me away. AVOID AT ALL COSTS"
"They were very misleading about being able to accept records from abroad to support no claims bonus. Basically said they would (which is main reason I chose them) but then didn't."
RAC Insurance is rated 3.25 based on 505 reviews