RAC Insurance Reviews

Cancellations & Refunds
Cancellation Process
Difficult

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy
The black box simply does not work, most of the telematics are simply wrong, it gave me a low score once, and I never even used the car. It keeps coming up with 'tamper' messages, the website never works, emails never arrive, it's like a cheap chinese watch. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
Good if your car is in perfect condition, but if you have a cheap run around which isn’t perfect this policy isn’t for you. They fitted a telematics box on my car, they sensed an engine fault without it even becoming a dashboard light or causing any real problem with the car (apparently an intermittent water sensor) then continued to phone me for months and months ( mostly while I was actually driving, which in itself is a big wtf moment) and when I took it to the garage multiple times they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. Good insurance seeing as breakdown is included but a total ballache
They are selling telematics insurance but their feedback system which is supposed to show you your driving score just does not work at all.
You then receive emails saying your driver score is too low & your policy is at risk of being cancelled however, you literally cannot see your driver score anywhere because their feedback system doesn't work.
Customer service team are useless and basically just tell you that you will have to believe what RAC are saying because they can see the scores fine on their end????
I had to get my blackbox replaced by one of their engineers because it wasnt working properly.
They still refused to reset the driver score despite the blackbox not working properly so they are relying upon faulty telematics data to determine a driver score which you can't even see.
It has been more than 2 weeks since they refit the box and the portal still looks like this: https://pasteboard.co/JxFgom4.jpg
Spoke with customer service who confirmed that my policy is still active & fine etc but they can't do anything about the dashboard errors because they don't know what's causing it.
They are still trying to charge a £300+ cancellation fee because I am unhappy with the dodgy telematics device & portal they are marketing as 100% functional & working.
Just go elsewhere for insurance as this is literally a scam.🤡🤡🤡
The insurance itself is a known company and they also answer calls when you need to get in touch. However, the black box that they use is terrible. If you accelerate badly once your score will drop fully or if you have one slight heavy brake it will also drop, the main problem with this is that no matter how many good drives you do (with no ‘faults’) your score won’t increase. Your score is also determined on when and where you drive (night and ‘urban’) and to me decreasing a score because you have drive after 6pm is extremely disappointing, this also applies to where you drive as they say driving in busy roads is dangerous (I can understand that but sometimes you don’t have a choice). Overall, I don’t recommend this insurance to anyone.
Horrendous to deal with , they renewed our policy before drawing the money from our bank , then said they couldn’t get their money ,but our bank said that they didn’t ask for it !
We couldn’t get through on the phone , now they are charging a couple of pensioners over £90 to cancel. We also were supposed to be self isolating but had to go to our bank .
We are blue chip type of customers , if that’s the way they want to run a business I can only see them going bust ..
Don’t use !!! We are also with Direct Line and have been insured with them for over twenty years and have used them for our second car now .. It,s there loss ..
After unexpected sudden death of husband I phoned RAC to change the main driver name. First attempt fell on death ears. Second attempt at changing name cancelled my insurance. I did not know this until somebody reversed into me in a carpark and RAC told me that I was not covered!!!! In the end I tracked dates of conversations and they found my policy. Today I have had a phone call from the third party's insurance saying that they are not getting much help from RAC and their client has admitted responsibility. DO NOT TOUCH WITH A BARGE POLE AS THEY DENY YOU ARE INSURED!!!!!
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY
We took insurance with Ageas whilst a provisional licence holder and checked out the prices when I passed which were acceptable. 6 months after the policy incepted I passed and called them to pay the extra premium. I was told Ageas can no longer do it as I have now passed but I can take another policy with Ageas. I lost 6 months NCB and have to have a black box for another 6 months - DO NOT USE
Absolutely terrible. They have a facility to show where you accelerate and brake, they claim that they do show them. However here is the catch. My black box score keeps dropping for no reason, and is triggering "events" these events should be displayed on the driver dashboard but aren't. Taking to Financial ombudsman if they do not have an answer.
Having Purchased Car insurance from RAC, we received a letter stating that we had not declared a claim, and a surcharge imposed! Following phone calls to RAC we were asked to produce documents from previous insurers proving there was only one claim. RAC could not apparently view this on their systems.
Having produced documents from both previous Broker and Previous insurance company, the extra charge was still not reimbursed, and the 2nd claim had not been taken off policy, on telephoning the RAC to cancel the policy, they now could miraculously see on their system that in fact the ONE claim had been duplicated!! On requesting that the policy be cancelled, we were informed that the charge for the 10 day period of insurance would be £79!!!!!!!!! Policy CANCELLED, cannot trust these people!!!!!!!!!!!
I inadvertently insured my previous car by mistake. It had been part exchanged for a newer car and insurance taken out with a new insurer. After 8 months I realized. Was told by customer service that if I obtained a confirmation letter from DVLA, I could apply for a refund. I was charged £50 cancellation and £10 as I cancelled the direct debit payments. I have paid £140 to them for insurance on a car I didn't have. My mistake, I know, but they are so limited in their understanding. I have now been contacted by Credit Control (Lydia) asking for £20 which is the final month's outstanding payment which I am not paying. I have never made a claim in all the time I have insured with them. RAC could not offer me a competitive changeover to my new car and charged a horrendous admin fee hence I took out a new insurance. My mistake cost me £150 and they are now asking for a further £20. DO NOT USE THEM. Customer service is rubbish - you have to hang on for 15 or 20 minutes at least and then you can't hear them. 😠 😱
Im writing this as my driver has been sat on the side of the road for the last 11 hours. 3 hours ago I was told by the RAC that there was a tow truck with my driver. So I went home as I believed the RAC that they had a recovery truck on site after a five hour wait. I have now returned to the office after going home, having to pay for a cab to go back to work as my driver rang me and told me he was still there. And there was no tow truck with him. Why Lie to me. I am now on the phone at ten to midnight for the third time, asking why they lied and where is my tow truck. I have been told that the contractor will be up to another to 2 hours. My advice, if your considering breakdown recovery do not consider the RAC, especially if you are a women on your own. Do not put yourself in this position. Being left on the side of the road for over 12 hours is bad enough without being lied too. Don't ever use the RAC, stand in the street and burn your money, its better value then this service. Anita Cockburn.
Give false information to customers when involved in a incident. Try to get involved in a insurance claim that got nothing to do with them and misinform there own customers that causes arguments between both parties
Only giving them 1 star because I can’t put 0 stars. I’ve been with this company since I got my first car and they were meant to install my black box within few days after getting my car. This was in September 2019, only recently this year September 2020 I finally got the box installed. I honestly can’t remember the amount of times I’ve phoned this company regarding this but yet it still felt like we were getting a door slammed on my face. that’s not all. A driver hit my car and speeded away after he did it, I then phoned RAC for advise and now they have put it down as a claim and now I’ve lost my no claims bonus and still as I write this I’m still trying to resolve this. My new insurance quote came 3x the price of my first year. Absolutely shocking to be honest and I’m truly disappointed.
DON’T GO NEAR RAC
Absolute con artists, will always find a way to get more money out of you, the black box score is rigged it will fluctuate randomly even after no dangerous driving, too many hidden charges such a joke of an insurance company.
Do NOT go with RAC! For the past few days I have logged onto the black box app and checked my score after driving and it has updated it and moved my score up. I then log on a few hours later and it randomly drops by 20! For an example, I was on a 91 score this morning, I’ve drove to and from work, no issues or dangerous driving or anything like that and nothing is marked on the app and my score has dropped to 46. This is an absolute joke. If you are looking for better black box car insurance, DO NOT GO WITH RAC. This is multiple times now they’ve knocked my score down by tons after I’ve drove safely and nothing wrong. Ridiculous and will never be going with them again.
Don’t go near Rac insurance ,too many ways to rip your pockets and they will find something to charge you ,self service loging is a junk .thy find a excuses to not pay you anything when something happen ,not recommend at all .
Unreliable Rac, con artist ,rubbish Custumer service, prices are way expensive,they rip you off in 2min ,don’t go near them ,to much hidden charges ,when renewing.don’t recommend Rac insurance for any one .
Don’t use Rac ,rip off con artist company ,gave me a renew code for 187£ I have got same car insurance from eshure for 62£ how is this possible Rac gave me 187£a month and I have got for for 62£ from another company means Rac is rubbish don’t go near them .
Took Insurance out and paid over £1,000 with Ageas my son was a provisional licence holder when he passed his test I was told Ageas would not insure him anymore but was offered another policy with Ageas. lost 5 months no claims bonus which is totally unacceptable DO NOT INSURED WITH THESE PEOPLE
Unbelievable terrible service! This company cancelled my sons car insurance “by accident” which meant 2 weeks after passing his test he was driving for 4 days without insurance!!! He had until a certain date to fit the black box which we did. RAC checked the day before the time was up, saw the box was not fitted and cancelled his Insurance! So they cancelled 1 day before the deadline (son was on holiday) and did NOT even send a cancellation notice. I believe that on their part is absolutely criminal! So we then ask for his insurance which we are told was cancelled to be reinstated oh and they had charged us a cancellation fee, and were told they could not do that due to data protection lol my oh my whatever has happened to the RAC????
RAC Insurance is rated 2.54 based on 855 reviews