RAC Insurance Reviews

of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance
Telephone, Live Chat, Email

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy
Please avoid this company, courtesy car was included in the rac breakdown and car insurance policies. When our car breakdown I called them to book mechanic, we was waiting all day, without updates, you need to call them to check. They transfer the calls to someone else, which wasn’t helpful. Booked courtesy car, and the booking was confirmed twice. Went to pick up the courtesy car, and and I was told the booking wasn’t confirmed in their system. I call rac to check what is going on, they was telling me the booking was confirmed, and after few phone calls with different people, courtesy car wasn’t provided. Very bad experience with this company, and they charge you £110 p/m for that and can not help at all when you need them!
Outrageous premiums - by changing insurer, we cut our annual fee fm £480 to £136 for the same level of service.
Sold my car. Had 3 months insurance left. Charged me to leave. Be wary of this con
Shocking scam of a company.My daughter purchased her black box insurance with them as a young driver this was the cheapest way. She had 2 not at fault claims within a week of each other.1st was by a car in a left turn only lane(the insurance agent from the 1st call googled it and even said the other vehicle was in the wrong) and 2nd a hit and run(cctv is available but this hasnt been followed up as enterprise"are not a insurance company and cant request cctv!!!)Both reported within a few hours.Its now nearly a month since the 1st and she has been passed from pillar to post as rac keep passing her to Enterprise, She pays her money to rac so why aren't they dealing with it?Has been told she will have to pay her excess which means she will lose her no claims next year but claiming for 2 accidents which were not her fault.Penalising young drivers because they can't be bothered to do their job;I have made a formal complaint which will be escalated to the ombudsmen if not sorted.AVOID THIS COMPANY
Worst customer services i've experienced. Kept me on the line for 15 minutes and forwarded my call between 3 different departments, just to cancel the policy. I was calling from Asia, so the call alone cost 25 pounds! Disastrous.
By far the worst experience I have experienced in over 45 years of driving. They simply do not progress your claim, they come up with every excuse, thier agents ( Enterprise) delay teh claim then pass it back to the insured. They take your money and do not manage a claim. Please take my advice, I learnt the hard way. Please do not use RAC Insurance.
Terrible insurance company, an absolute scam for young drivers. Had consistent problems with RAC over the course of the year and would highly recommend that everyone avoids them
Recently moved house and rang RAC with change of address, firstly they gave my address as South Humberside an Authority/County/Address which has not existed since 1996. secondly they bumped my insurance up by £43 for 7 months and to top it all charged me £25 on top for the privilege. When I said ok I will cancel my policy they said oh that will cost £55. Absolute Rip off will not use them again
Absolutely shocked that even though I I provided my no claims information, they refused it and pushed up my car insurance by over £80. When I said I can get my insurance cheaper elsewhere, they charged me over £50 to end it !!! No customer support or personal contact, only standard emails. Appalling.
Before I went on holiday, I called RAC car insurance on 5 Sept 2019 to renew my policy (as it expired on 10 Sept) we changed my payment card details and the lady said that everything is fine and that the payment will go off on the 10 Sept. Thinking everything is ok. I am currently in a different country for a few weeks. I received an email to say: 1 My payment was declined 2 I will be charged £20 for late payment. 3 If I dont renew they will cancel my policy. Obviously they messed up. Now I am stressing on my suppose to be relaxing holiday trying to get in touch with them. I cant call them due to my phones roaming settings but also why should I pay for the international call? I tried to get in touch by the website, not even an email address I can contact. Yes I can log into my account, but all it says is to call them. RAC CAR INSURANCE PLEASE CALL ME ASAP. If I dont get in touch my policy will be cancelled and if something had to happen to my car while I am gone then I am not insured.
My daughter took out a car insurance policy with RAC. A couple of weeks after setting this up they contacted her to say that it was cancelled with immediate effect because of an undeclared and unresolved claim against her. In fact this was entirely incorrect and was due to an error by her previous insurer (Admiral) who had said they would remove it from their records and then failed to do so. She contacted Admiral who contacted the RAC to confirm this fact. She the asked RAC to restart her policy as this had clearly been an error. They said they could not restart a cancelled policy but would have to quote on a new one - which they did for a cost 3 or 4 times more expensive than the one just cancelled. When she asked why they said it was because she had a cancelled policy - which she did: cancelled by themselves because of provenly incorrect data sent by another insurer! The computer said no and that was that. They agreed to refund her money but did so minus £250 which they said they could charge because of this - totally unnecessary- cancellation. When she complained a few days later the person she spoke to agreed that in the circumstances they would refund the amount. This never materialised and when she enquired was told that this person should not, in fact, have authorised it and it had been cancelled. After issuing a further complaint she was told they would look at it again and get back to her in 6-8 weeks - which, of course, they have not done. I wrote to them on her behalf as well but have not even had the courtesy of a reply. Basically, they have misappropriated £250 of her money due to an error in the information sent by her previous insurer which that insurer very promptly confirmed. Disgraceful service and I would urge anyone to think very carefully before giving their business to such a company
I've been with RAC car insurance on a black box as an under 25 driver for 2 years now. I've never had to make a claim and always scored highly in their metrics. Why then have they doubled my insurance rate from £53 to over £116 per month. Nobody on the phones will explain this to me and it's not on. Why am I being punished as a young driver on a black box with 5 years no claim experience now? Its not on. They tried to double it last year and I solved it as they appeared reasonably priced on a price comparison site but to happen for a second year running is just ridiculous and offering no compromise. Just look elsewhere young drivers and avoid the RAC.
Not the cheapest but decided to go with them for my wife's car insurance. Trying to complete the form in the payment section but my credit card rejected because my antivirus detected information gathering. Apparently, the RAC is aware of this because they allowed you to click a button to continue - which did not work. The only way to continue was to disable the AV - unbelievable! Then when trying to provide the Direct Debit details of the account we use to pay the insurance it was rejected as the account was not in my Wife's name! Then tried to 'phone the RAC to sort the situation out - only to be told this was a new policy and nothing could be done! Ridiculous behaviour I have been paying this way for years with lots of different companies. So bye-bye RAC I will just take my business to Swinton.
Firstly, after taking out a van insurance policy with the 'RAC', I discover that the company acting for the RAC is actually IGO4.com. This is NOT the RAC, misleading me to arrange cover with a company which I believed to have good longstanding reputation. After submitted correct information and agreeing to the online quote, I later received an email stating there was a 'discrepancy' and a further charges were added. Their 'discrepancy' claim was false, although it took weeks to rectify and reimburse the charges, only after threats to report the issue to the FCA. This is an honest review and my first experience with this company. In 30 years of driving, I have always found RAC Breakdown to be excellent but drivers must be aware that RAC Insurance is NOT the RAC.
Incompetent. Internal communication within their organisation is a disaster. I insured my car for business use with RAC, I thought this would be simple. It was not simple. There was so much confusion between RAC and the insurance underwriters. I had to have my policy amended twice because it did not cover what I required. The lack of due diligence and communication between themselves and their partners is a farce. I received notices of cancellation of insurance policy on two separate occasions, both times were due to their own mistakes/confusion/negligence. I started a 12 month policy, but after countless unnecessary phone calls and emails I ended the policy after only 7 weeks. It takes the company 7 weeks to realise they do not offer business insurance for my profession, yet I still have to pay the premiums in that time. That time delay was infuriating. The call centre staff are friendly yet under-trained "yes men" working on a computer system so restrictive they cannot help a customer with any unconventional issues. I do not recommend this insurance provider.
Just got charged £130 to change vehicle. Absolutely disgusting. Avoid at all costs.
This is the worst insurance company we have ever dealt with. We chose RAC as we thought they were a good brand but have had nothing but problems. We accepted and agreed to their quote and then they contacted us to say they were putting the payments up by nearly £40.00 per month because they had found a claim that we hadn't told them about. We explained that we had and it was all agreed but they said they would still need to put the payments up by £8.00 per month because that was the price that day! We made a complaint and were told that they would get back to us in 4 weeks, then it was 8 weeks. After 6 weeks we received a new payment schedule with the payments at nearly £40.00 more than quoted! It just goes from bad to worse, and we STILL waiting for them to sort our complaint out. Wish we had never gone with RAC, would never recommend them.
Terrible customer insurance, booked a service call for my box 3 times and no one turned up just for them to then cancel my insurance because my box was disconnected after going in for service. Very bad when dealing with claims and got transferred to about 10 different departments. Definitely would not recommend
RAC Insurance is rated 2.96 based on 604 reviews