RAC Insurance Reviews

of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance
Telephone, Live Chat, Email
customer service

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy
I have never been treated so badly by any company I have had dealings with. The staff are rude. I cancelled my home insurance policy to go with another company as the RAC quote was quite ridiculous. Weeks later I received a phone call telling me I was in arrears with my payments. I telephoned again (at a premium rate) I was passed from incompetent person to incompetent person until I was finally told they had no record of my cancelling. They said this would be rectified and that would be fine. Again some weeks later I received quite a bullying letter saying I was still in arrears and my case would be passed to debt collectors. I again telephoned (at no small cost) only to be told I had never cancelled. I had to provide proof that I had other insurance which I did and I was told someone would ring be back later that day. No one did. Again I received another letter, now telling me they had cancelled my policy but that I had fees to pay or they would again send my debt to a recovery department. I WOULD NOT recommend anyone to get insurance from this company.
Rac was the broker for aviva On the 27 th april 2016 they cancelled my dad's insurance without notice . I rang to see why they said he had a claim in march 2015 it was settled on 25 th april 2016 and the cost of the repair was to high so they cant insure him any more , the renewal was up in 4 weeks , i had to argue and fight to get his no claims , rac and aviva blame each other for cancelling the policy. This claim was listed when the insurance was talen out ... JOKE STAY CLEAR !!!
RAC black box insurance is the biggest con the world has. I was driving home from the football match on the 22/2/20. Traffic is bad as it’s match day, I was travelling at 40mph (the speed limit) On a duel carriage way (the road could quite easily be 60mph) a ambulance was right behind me with lights on, I couldn’t get in other lane as it was busy so I sped up to 63mph (alright it was over limit) but in this case on the high way code it says you can speed up to move out of the way. I never over took the ambulance or anything which is illegal to do that, I moved into the other lane about 1/4 mile up road and that was that, back to normal driving. I got a email and a letter saying my insurance is getting cancelled for excessive speed limit. Now this is first time I’ve actually been told about my driving, my overall score is good, I’ve done this to simply get out of way of a ambulance the was in a emergency. RAC are now trying to charge me £189 for THEM cancelling my insurance. They never gave me a reason on the email for cancellation I had to ring them. Anyone else heard of this utter bollox cause I’m not paying that.
Terrible service do not use. I setup my insurance and was emailed to confirm I did not need to send my no claims cert. My insurance was then cancelled 2 months later without any further correspondence, due to me not sending it. When I challenged and sent them their email proof, they tried to put my premium up by £500 even though it matched what was originally quoted. Complete jokers... They then took the money off my credit card a day before Xmas and I had to wait a month for a refund. Nice...
Terrible service don't use!!!!! No claims bonus was 20 or so days past 2 years old. No clear notification where no Claims bonus is entered, that they must be less than two years old. Unfortunately I'm not an insurance expert so did not know this. been an rac customer for over ten years in relation to my car breakdown. Will be cancelling that as well. Customer service rude and not even worthy of a star.
They cancelled my insurance 5 days ago and did not tell me. Pure chance I checked my personal emails before I drove home from work today. They sent 4 emails at 2.50pm today telling me they had cancelled my policy, were taking numerous charges - cancellation fee, etc from my account and that I could buy a new policy from them with higher fees. Why? Because they say they didn't receive my no claims discount information. This is untrue as I ccd the email to my personal email address so I would have a copy of the info sent to them. Twice I have called them. No answers and each time I am told someone will phone me back, no one does. I think there should be laws against the way they treat their customers - not even the courtesy of a phone call to me. They don't even deserve a 1 star rating.
Absolutely disgusted. We were told 90 mins and 4 and a half hours later we took a taxi home which rac paid for. Meanwhile I have to get back to where the car is parked up tomorrow morning. I never realised that a company as established as rac could be so inept
im insured with them with all the available ad-ons on the policy including breakdown, when i broke down and rang em they said im not on their system......
Agree, with previous person. Do not get a black box with them. Avoid as it will cost you.
Agree ruthless is the word, do not get a black box with them, send threatening letters saying they are cancelling due to the miles you have done even though you have 4,500 left, you have to increase to more miles otherwise they will cancel, so you pay them. For them to threaten you again, worse mistake in car insurance I have ever done, and U did thus for a family member. They were like this in the beginning even getting the box installed, but it costs you £125 to cancel so you stuck with it, so not right The insurance ombudsman needs to look into them are thief's.
All these comments are so useful thanks everyone! I was going to buy with them but hell no! Don't need to waste my money...
Absolutely rubbish Dooooooooooo not even think about taking insurance from them.
Absolutely rubbish. Dooooooooooo not even think about taking insurance from them I wish I never moved from Tesco. I wasted my 3 lunch breaks over 3 days until they answered the phone, I told them that they said we submitted your complaint and someone will call you, it’s 9 weeks now but no call from them. I missed last payment, I rang to pay it they charged me £20 extra. Dooooooooooo not even think about taking insurance from them eeeeeeven if it’s cheaper than othe companies.
Absolutely disgusted with RAC. My son tapped a car at a roundabout and apparently that cost £1500 to repair, he gave up driving due to anxiety so went to cancel his car insurance to then be told he has to finish paying the remaining 4 payments or the balance will be sent to a creditor. Never again will I use them. They rinsed my husband too on breakdown cover always charged him every time he broke down even though we paid a huge fee every year for breakdown cover. Stay clear is my advice they will rip you off.
Scam of a company, avoid at all cost! RAC needs to be reviewed by regulators as they are scamming people left right centre. Took a policy out back in August and they came and fitted my black box. No mileage curfews it stated and I rang them beforehand my policy went live just to make sure there was no mileage restrictions and this was confirmed by the advisor on the phone. Fitted the black box and on the app it doesn’t show how many miles you’ve done which is fine because they never say they’re tracking your mileage. 3 months down the line I get a very threatening phone call from RAC which tell me to call them ASAP as my policy could get cancelled. Rang back and the advisor states that after reviewing your policy it looks like you are driving more than we thought and therefore as you’re on the road more often, we are putting your premium up from £200 to £270 a month! I’m sorry whatttt??? Oh and if you want to cancel then there’s a £150 cancellation fee for us putting your price up...LOL. Also, let’s not forget, if you agree to the price going up then there’s also a £30 admin fee to it too for their change to the policy! Lol what an absolute joke. They lure customers in with decent prices so people think yeh yeh they’re not bad and then a few months later when you’re in they’ll make changes and leave you in a difficult position to say yes and to agree to their idiotic policies. Can’t wait for my year to be over to go elsewhere, been an absolute nightmare financially this company. £270 a month I’m paying, £270!
If I could leave a 0 i would. set up the insurance and was told we can change our private registration for free within first 14 days and then when I called they wanted extra £3.50 per month because apparently putting a different registration on your car is a higher risk. Massive con artist. Never insure with this company!!!!!
I AM DISGUSTED WITH THE RAC I LOST 3 YEARS NO CLAMS BONUS THEY COULDNT FIND THE ORIGINAT CERTIFTATE I SENT IN DIABOLICAL
Paid for 12 months van insurance in full then after 6 months I sold the van so rang to say I no longer needed the van insurance. I was then told there was no refund and that I owed them a further £16.85. I am feeling totally ripped off. In 30 years of driving I have never had a company not issue some kind of refund after only using the policy for 6 months and actually charge you more. Not happy.
Paid my van insurance for 12 months in full. Six months later I sold the van as I no longer needed it. I let them know straight away. I was then told there was no refund and I also owed them a further £16.85p. Feeling totally ripped off. Every other company I have used in the last 30 years would have refunded something after only using the policy for 6 months. Not happy.
Terrible company. Most people who pay monthly are doing so because they can’t afford a lump sum. They tried to increase my monthly payment because I got an evening job I already had - I didn’t use my car for it but they tried to increase my premiums by £17 per month because apparently earning more money makes me more at risk of not paying logical ha? This isn’t the half of the trouble I have gone through with this company and the companies it associates itself with. DO MOT GO WITH THEM
RAC Insurance is rated 2.81 based on 669 reviews