RAC Insurance Reviews

52% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"My husband rang to get a quote, and they said it was going to be £4000. Customer service very abrupt, could'nt of cared less wether he accepted or not. Could'nt believe it, how he managed that god only knows."
"Offhand and brief when contacted by phone. Extremely officious in all communication. Expected the world and gave little in return."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 6 months ago
"RAC had decided To take virtually all aspects of my score down to 0 despite the car not moving! They are constantly taking my score down drastically, which would be fine of there was justification for it. When reviewing my journeys there are not reports of speeding or harsh breaking, yet my score is randomly lowered without explanation... also very high price point. Feels like one big money making scheme, attempting to make your score lower so that the charge increases in the following year..."
"They charge £25 to make even the tiniest of changes - like a date of birth. Total rip off for something that takes them seconds to activate. Shameful treatment of customers and unlikely to retain their loyalty."
"Would advise anyone to not use RAC insurance. They first of all allowed another company to take lead on sorting the claim as a 3rd party. They then reported they did not even know who this company was and took over as the lead 5 months later after numerous calls and complaints. My personal claim was handle very poorly, each time you phone there was no recording of previous conversations so staff had no idea what your claim was. To add to that, RAC then declined everything on the claim despite picture evidence, reciepts of black box fittings and stull refused to fund the amount that should have been paid out. The staff have been extremely rude and try to place the blame on the person not at fault if the it is their clients fault to get out of paying out. DONT NOT USE, I have heard so many stories they will not support you in a claim."
"We tried to claim on damage to our car from another vehicle that opened their door into our moving car. The culprit told his insurance its not his fault even after RAC saw that the evidence was, however RAC could only write a letter as to not rush the matter. We had to deal with the underwriters as RAC could not do anything... so absolutely useless in fighting your corner for a claim, as they wont"
"Been insured with them 10 months after changing my car, my black box was to get fitted on the 20th of this month. After contacting them to advice them on the 19th that the car had broke down and was in the garage for repair. They told me to advice RAC insurance which I did and to reschedual for another appointment to get black box fitted, they have now cancelled my policy and refused to fit the black box at garage. They are also they are a nightmare to get through to on the phone, been on the phone the past 3 days 1hour at a time just waiting to get through to speak to someone. They have also took my NCB off me as I haven’t completed the full year even though I am not at fault it was them that cancelled the policy. On the letter of cancellation it is not the correct spelling of my name and the wrong ref number tberefor my insurance should not be cancelled as its not the correct details. THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH THEM!!"
"They seemed to offer a really good company at first but wanting to add or remove something off your policy is next to impossible I need business insurance for work they have told me my payment has gone from £137 to £334 a month which is disgusting and then told me my 7 month no claims bonus will start again it doesn’t count. So because this is no good to me they are requesting over £100 to cancel my insurance I have never missed a payment and had perfect score on my black box and now I need help they are basically telling me they is nothing they can do unless I pay out money I don’t have I would not recommend this insurance company"
"Awful customer service, originally quoted £30 a month, went upto £60 as my husband had claims against him, charged £25 amendment fee, then charged another amendment fee of £25 to remove him off the policy. Car insurance alone was still £45 a month, to cancel it's £55 + the rest of the month, and would still have to pay amendment fees. They wrote to me 3 weeks later so after cooling period had ended. They are theives, avoid at all costs. Plus the fact I was put on hold for 15 minutes. Complete joke of a company."
"This company is an absolute joke tried to get extra money out me because they said my NCB was not received I had posted and emailed it and they still said it had not been received and £55 charge would be put in place on top or cancelled Would never use them again"
"Upon being charged more for my insurance the originally quoted I immediately cancelled my insurance with them and requested a refund, I was reinsured that everything was cancelled and that the refund was processed and will take between 3-10 days to come back in, not trusting online companies after 5 days I contacted them again to make sure the refund had been processed as i was previously told turns out it hadn't and that i would have to wait up to a further 8 days to get this refund afterwards i reached out to them on twitter to 100% confirm i was getting my refund i was told to DM them my details and they would get back to me and surprise surprise they never did i can't believe how useless and uncaring they are when it comes to giving people their money back. if you have recently cancelled i would advise chasing them or they will all be having a nice holiday in our expense"
"Unsure if I could claim or not so I phoned up and the help and advice I was given was very good."
(Home Insurance) - Posted 9 months ago
"My building insurance was set to automatically renew. I specifically asked this not to happen....The race have looked into it... And claim it's my fault... Beware of the fact and there underhand tactics ."
"Automatic recharging for home building insurance....Even through you don't want it .Very sharp practices ... Steer well clear ....."
"I would not recommend RAC to anyone. They are an absolute rip off. They took unauthorised money from our account for reasons which other insurance companies agree with me is ridiculous & unfair and now I have to go to the time and trouble to go to the financial ombudsman to try & resolve this. Don't make the same mistake as we did, steer clear of these"
"It's a shame you can't give no stars. I sort out the insurance for both my wife and myself. Her insurance was due to renew. The quote came through and it was pretty competitive. I told her to ring and accept the quote (about £430). After spending ages on told me she eventually got through. She was told that they no longer use the underwtmriter where her quote came from and the new quote was £730. She cancelled it. She was told that had she not called to cancel, rac would have debited my card for £730 even though they never once notified us of this almost doubling of the price. Surely this is illegal! You can't give customers a comparative quote and then almost double it and bill the customer without notifying them."
"My renewal was sent via Service Centre but I had asked for it by post. I was told my premium and that nothing had changed. When I found how to look at my policy and the renewal I saw it had a £200 excess at renewal. Previously £100. I call that a change. Said I would think about it and a very rude man was not happy. Phoned today and my offer was not now available. What a Company. Very unprofessional."
"Absolute s***, they only install black boxes between 8-4 mon-fri so you have to take the day off work and waste an entire day waiting for them!! They turned up at 7pm, just hate it but can’t xhange my police as they’ll charge an £150 fee"
"Took RAC policy out in July for £480 via compare. Moving so contacted them they said where I am moving to they can't insure under current policy, Why?? Well need to start a new policy and instead of £480 will be over £3000 really can't be the case as high demographic area moving to. Cancelled RAC went back online got insurance for £55 more than where I live currently. I think RAC trapped me on initial insurance and then they wanted to charge me £25 to cancel - hmm no way"
"WORST INSURANCE EVER!!! Particularly the black box insurance, please no one go with this company, I have had nothing but grief and disgusting customer service from the beginning; wouldn’t tell my worst enemy about going with them! Trying to make drivers pay more and cancelling insurances based on inaccurate data!Scumbags!"
RAC Insurance is rated 3.10 based on 551 reviews