RAC Insurance Reviews

54% of reviewers recommend RAC Insurance

Tell us how RAC Insurance made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat, Email
"There aren’t enough hours in the day for me to write why you should avoid insuring your car with the RAC. From the initial phone call to report an incident that is your last contact with the RAC. I have been dealing with Enterprise car rental, Acromas underwriters now SAGA claims. It took a week to get a courtesy car and today it has been taken away despite my policy giving me a car for the duration of my claim. I have had to arrange for my damaged car to be taken to a garage and arrange my own estimate as they don’t have garages covering the north of Scotland. They have “not received” the estimate despite it being faxed, emailed and posted. I’ll stop there as I’m sitting carless in the rural Highlands with no public transport or taxi and unable to get to work. DO NOT INSURE WITH RAC..!!!!"
"Insurance products awful, customer service people somewhat helpful.. Been with RAC Advance for a year now paying £154 a month for the pleasure of having their AWFUL black box fitted to my car. I have spent the past year worried sick after every single journey in case their black box had recorded false readings, causing my score to drop and them to send me ‘warning’ (which if 3 are given out the insurance is cancelled). False journey after false journey is recorded on this black box which is what I believe caused me to go over my annual estimated mileage which I was of course charged for. A huge jump of nearly £50 a month more for an extra 1000 miles to make the end of the policy (which OF COURSE includes a £30 admin fee for the paper they insist on sending in the post - there must be a couple of trees at least stuffed into that envelope) - if you report these false harsh braking / acceleration and completely false journeys you just get told the GPS loses its signal and jumps.... doesn’t explain the box recording journeys that haven’t even been made (and I don’t mean journeys that have been made before and just repeated, there are completely made up journeys that have never been made in the car).. funny that. The staff on the phones are somewhat empathetic and helpful, but as much as that is great it doesn’t make the black box work. Technical department are full of the usual excuses reference the boxes false recordings. To top it all off, my renewal hit the letterbox this morning... up by more than £100 a MONTH!!!!"
"The price they say on confused.com is not the price they quote you, when you contact them."
"Currently/regretting going with the RAC telematics box says I've done trips I havent and constantly making my score go down. Phoned up too see if I could get my box looked out got told I was lying and I should tell the truth."
"I received a quote which I took up, I'd had an accident three years ago which I declared as no fault as a Deer shot out into my car, apparently the insurance company had declared it as my fault as the Deer wasn't insured , when the RAC did a check they then wanted another £150 which I refused to pay, I could not recommend the RAC because of this, it clearly was not my fault as any idiot could see yet they wanted to stitch me up because of it, so if you're thinking of insuring I'd suggest that you go elsewhere, oh and although the policy hasn't yet started they want to charge me a cancellation fee, up yours RAC"
"DO NOT USE RAC INSURANCE they do not answer the phone, do not reply to emails, and when you get thru the staff are rude and unhelpful I have complained to the company but no reply so I moved to a new insurer BE WARNED"
"DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! I thought they would be a company you could trust. If you have to make a claim you will not get the money you should receive and it takes up to a year. The third party they use to help you settle the claim is just as bad and don't even know when a car has been picked up for scrap and do not look into your account properly."
"Terrible customer service attitude, did not want to listen to my explanation of a problem I had with previous insurers regarding proof of no claims, which I have 18 years of. It was easier to go to a different more understanding and helpful insurer. Stay away is my advice."
"Called several times during the day and evening, waited over 25 minutes on each occasion without anyone answering the phone. Not worth using this insurer!"
"DO NOT INSURE WITH THIS COMPANY!!! - One star is far too good for them. Disgusting. Shocking service. Had insurance with RAC nothing but bad service start to finish. Insurance was due for renewal 28th January 2019. Got renewal price through. Got cheaper elsewhere but even if I didn't was certainly not renewing. Phoned and cancelled renewal and told them it was due to their customer service... Now today just arrived home to a demand letter from them to contact them about renewal or it will cost £55 to cancel."
"WHERE DO WE START?? I have never come across such a cowboy outfit in all my days. My parents took out car insurance back in January.. We are now in APRIL! They have called or sent letter to cancel the policy 3 times now because of errors in administration and then have cheek to ask for cancellation payments each time! So yesterday was the final straw for my parents who are 70+ this is HUGE STRESS on them and will be going back to Tesco or Direct line for an easy life. PLEASE STAY AWAY from this absolute joke of an insurance company. If zero star was actually an option I would give that out out kindness. Stick to fixing cars at the roadside."
"Rang up cancelled the insurance as our car goin to scrap they ask us pay £125 for cancellation fee thou they took £76 month off us aswell top off £125 we ask our £76 back as we should be entitled it back they said they don’t refund back they took lot out of us just because we had cancel we won’t be use ur company again such rip off."
"disgusting customer service for your car insurance 14 days after the 1st payment they tried to charge extra £20 as i cancelled a direct debit from them which did not have their company name on it. I am arranged the 2nd payment early and you still want to charge £20 or £50 cancellation fee. The customer services was so rude."
"Had very pleasant experience dealing with their team of workers who have been extremely helpful, prompt and efficient."
"The app doesn’t work correctly, it states your score is lower than it actually is. E.g. my app states my score is 22 out of 100 but the website is 99! The app needs changing."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 months ago
"Excellent service , was not aware I could get a few hundred discount on policy renewal just by shopping around. Extremely helpful service. Worth waiting half hour on the phone for"
"Hi Would just like to say that the service i recieved today about a new car quote was second to none . The young lady Nicole Butler from the Peterborough branch was very polite ,professional and freindly .It was a pleasure to listen to her advice . Thankyou Nicole 🙂"
"I have had my car hit by a hit and run captured on cctv. Person has been charged by the police and they have not informed there insurance company. Total shock when was told we would need to claim on our own policy and pay 450 excess. Further more they directed us to enterprise whom gave us a car to use under a non fault issue. I have recently been sent a letter telling me it's not a couresy car but a credit agreement. Total sham. Do not entertain this company...."
"saved over £400 pounds, how do they do it?"
"Hi just changed my car insurance from aa to rac.the gentleman was fantastic totally upfront and did all he could to get me a competitive rate.i had been with aa but cancelled insurance as there were all these hidden extras.will never go back.cannit stress how great the rac representative was."
RAC Insurance is rated 3.18 based on 526 reviews