Only Young Drivers Reviews

3% of reviewers recommend Only Young Drivers

Tell us how Only Young Drivers made you happy

Telephone
"Asked for a quote, was told they couldn't provide one but took my personal information and spammed me constantly. Dont take peoples information if you aren't providing the agreed service!"
"When I first started driving they were the cheapest quote I could find at a whopping 200 pound a month. After the first year it went down quite considerably to about 100 a month. After the third year it dropped even more to 70 pounds a month which was great. But as soon as I mentioned I was moving house they put the insurance back up to 120 a month!? Last year they decided to cancel my policy after the app wasn’t recording my driving data but they didn’t inform me (no text no email no post) until after they had already cancelled my policy as they ‘didn’t receive any data for 3 weeks’ after numerous arguments and phone calls and after about a month I was finally able to drive my car again after they realised they did wrong and reinstated the policy. The app to record the data is an absolute joke in itself.. I am asked to use a black box after 3 years no claims and still paying 1200 a year!? The app would say I was driving 60 miles a day and driving from 8am till 6pm in one journey, when was at work and not even in my car? I emailed them about this and all they could suggest was turning my Bluetooth off while not in the car? Which I did do but still would do the same thing. Overall not a very well organised or customer friendly company. It’s mains goal is to rip off young people who are timid to this kind of stuff. 10/10 would not recommend for anyone"
"This is a company that provides a very competitive quote. However, if you slightly default on any terms or conditions in any way they will severely punish you when it comes to penalties I.e. monetary fines. They have poor customer service and lack any personal communication technique. Please consider seriously NOT engaging with them they are purely money driven and NOT customer based. Avoid!"
"I had no issues with OYD for my insurance for two years. I also had no issue getting proof from them of no claims bonus after ending my insurance. I however compared to all the bad reviews did not have a black box or app I had to use. I had standard fully comp insurance with added legal cover. I only ever used the insurance for windshield chip fix and had no issue getting in contact about that."
"Absolute rip off company do not let your son or daughter use them! They are asking for a £97. 78 cancellation fee from my daughter for less than 7 weeks insurance. We are seeking legal advice"
"Bunch of scammers the cancelled my policy right near the end when I told them I'm going on holiday. They sent a letter out to my house after a week I went on holiday before u know 3 weeks later I got home to find a letter saying ur insurance has been cancelled. Ever since then where ever i look for insurance no one wants to insure me. What to do guys? Any ideas it's been a year. Thank you"
"I would give them -10000 if that was an option!!! AVOID AT ALL COST, it is not worth the hassle!! Took out their policy last year in July 17 and followed all their instructions regarding the app, etc...a couple of months later they started sending me texts that I was not recording my journeys when, in fact, I was!! Endless hours on the phone with them, they promised call back to discuss more in detail and investigate...Surprise surprise, no call received; had to call back myself, explain myself and the whole story all over again and was promised another call back which, guess what! It never happened. Days later, I received an email from a so-called ‘technician’ - asking details about my phone. Bear in mind this was now in Nov last year, so the whole thing dragged for months and, during all this time, I kept receiving emails, texts and letters of cancellation although I was told over the phone and via email that my policy would not be cancelled. I also kept chasing that ‘technician’ via email who eventually stopped answering and I didnt think too much of it as he had assured me several times that the matter was ‘under investigation’. To keep track of the story, we are now in Feb 18. Mid Feb I received yet another letter of cancellation, that was when I thought enough was enough and made a complaint. Of course, I had to explain everything yet again as no one had any idea about my situation. About a week later, their final response came, no solution to my problem, no compensation, merely an apology that the ‘technician’ stopped responding to my email and of course, the threat of cancellation which I was already too familiar with by that time. I contacted FOS and they are now investigating; the company is avoiding responsability, passes the issue to one another, as one review below said, they are operating as...regulated by...etc. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT to anyone, STAY AWAY as it will only cause you trouble and head aches!! I was hoping to save a few quid as their quote was cheaper than all the rest however, trust me, it is not worth the hassle!!! PLEASE STAY AWAY and if you are having issues/ have had issues - REPORT IT TO FOS, Something has to be done!!"
"Also would not give 1 star to this company absolute waste of money. Phoned the 21st of june and paid my insurance and told them i had difficulty accesing the app was told not to worry about it fornmy insurance to be cancelled on me the very next day have drove about for a week with no insurance and didnt even have a clue about it !! Completley avoid when i phoned and asked for my money back as i paid to be covered and hadn't been covered the man told me there was no refund available they dont communicate with each other whatsoever one says one thing and another says another absolute shambles take from experience please avoid !! Less stress and wont waste money like i did !!"
"OYD is so shocking it’s unreal. I’ve had nothing but problems with them! It all started out pretty well but about 3 weeks into my insurance I had an accident. I had to get a new car and change my car on my policy. They sent me out a new wingman which arrived but it stopped tracking my journeys. I phoned up numerous times and they eventually sent me out another wingman. This one didn’t work at all!! I phoned up again and they said I had to delete the app and then re-install it. That didn’t work so they said they’ll send out yet another wingman. My wingman did not arrive and I phoned again and again. I sent loads of emails and still no wingman. Eventually I received a letter saying my insurance would be cancelled as no journeys were being tracked. I phoned up again and said no journeys were being tracked because I was still waiting for another wingman to arrive. I said I didn’t want anything to happen to my policy as I’ve done nothing wrong and I asked him to make a note on my insurance saying I had phoned up and to make sure my policy did not get cancelled. About a week later I received a letter saying my policy had been cancelled 3 days earlier meaning I HAD BEEN DRIVING MY CAR FOR 3 DAYS WITH NO VALID INSURANCE. I had no emails or calls regarding my policy being cancelled. I phoned up straight away and my mum took over the phone call. We were absolutely FURIOUS. The guy that we spoke to on the phone said they had absolutely no record of me contacting them. I stated I had all the calls logged on my phone, every single email printed out and I even had the names of the people I had spoken to. We were on the phone to them for over an hour and a half. Eventually they said it was their error and that they would re-instate my policy but it wouldn’t be until Tuesday as it was bank holiday weekend. (I phoned on the Friday). My mum stated this wasn’t acceptable as I needed my car for work and asked to speak to someone more senior. After being on hold for yet another period of time the man came back saying they would speak to the underwriters to get it re-instated. So yet again on hold for another period of time. Eventually my policy was re-I stated. A month or so down the line, despite having emailed AGAIN, STILL NO WINGMAN. Resulting in another phone call this morning. Again requesting a wingman and for my insurance not to be cancelled again. To be fair Dominic who we spoke to was extremely apologetic and has re-ordered a wingman and has updated my file with notes that we have been in contact, we will see? Also about 3 weeks ago my car broke down, I phoned OYD as I have breakdown cover, they gave me a number to phone for assitance. When I phoned the number they had given me, I was told I was not covered meaning I was stranded alone at night (a 19 year old female). Luckily my local garage came out to assist. included in this mornings phone call to Dominic, he confirmed I have breakdown cover which I already knew and has given me a different number to ring in case of breakdown. This company is a joke! I would never use this company again and would never advise anyone to. I am looking into further action."
"cancelled my insurance whilst i was in London , i had to get a friend to get the train down to drive my car back letter dated the 9th May from OYD to say they had cancelled my insurance on the 9th May received the letter on the 12th May (RIDICULOUS) told the policy was cancelled due to black box score even though i had many inaccurate readings and two replacement boxes ; the app registered i was driving when i was on the train!! completely useless and caused nothing but problems - provided only 1 years NCB when it should have been 2 years currently in the complaint procedure."
"Avoid at all costs!!! The app was extremely inaccurate, I noticed that my score was really low so I purposely went on journeys to boost my score making sure I didn’t exceed the speed limit and it was rating my speed -10 which meant I was at more risk of cancellation. I saved myself the time and cancelled it myself.. “14 working days and the money should be back in your account” they said, 3 weeks later and I’m still waiting for my £700 refund.. I have contacted them every day since the “14 working days” mark and I’m still £700 down.. will be taking things further in the morning. Disgusting!"
"They are the absolute worst company ever, ridiculously unhelpful, they cancelled my policy without informing me, I was driving around for 3 days without knowing. They won't inform me of whether or not my refund will actually come and the staff are rude and quite frankly a little stupid. I would never recommend this company. They are literally the worst!"
"Not even worthy of one star! Threatening to cancel my policy after one journey! I had explained it was a new vehicle and different fuel type to my previous so may not be used to it and I was assured that they were lenient with the first few journeys. CLEARLY NOT!!! After checking more reviews online which stated policies had been cancelled and poor notification methods I decided to beat them too it and cancel my policy before they did! Was on the phone for no longer than a minute minimal information taken. 19 days later still no refund. Called to chase this up as I have been poorly and unable to contact them. Was put on hold for 30 minutes!!! In the finish turns out the didn’t have a contact number for me although at the beginning of the call they asked me to confirm my number as security checks so obviously they did!!! I paid this policy in full over £800 and have been relying on this money and have no been left in debt with other companies as unable to pay bills because only young drivers can’t pay their refunds when due!!! WILL NOT RECOMEND THIS COMPANY TO MY ENEMIES!!!"
"I wouldn’t even give it a one star review. Absolutely awful company. I took out insurance, unfortunately had an accident, was stuck on the road with a child for 5 hours. Customer service is useless, and unreachable. Wasn’t even insured through them, and they couldn’t tell me who I was insured with even though I purchased it under the illusion it was with them. Got passed along from company to company and then today had another company call me telling me I made a claim through them but they couldn’t find any details or policy and they weren’t even my insurers , when I told them this the woman on the phone was terribly rude. It’s tragic to say but if I wasn’t insured I would have been recovered much quicker and helped quicker. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, you’ll end of abandoned and worse off if you do. Quick to take your money and harass with phone calls but when you need to use your insurance your unable too. And that’s the whole point of having insurance in the first place!!! So disappointed with this. I’m £1500 worse off thanks to them. Stuck on the road needing medical attention but couldn’t leave my car, for 5 hours in the freezing cold with a young child.. not even worthy of having 1 star!! The most useless company ever who not only just pass you along from company to company with no idea themselves. Also told me my car was a write off and they will keep it but an honest mechanic told me repairable and can be put back on the road. To use the worst dissaponted is a massive understatement to describe them. I simply cannot deal with how we were left on the side of the road especially with a young child, in such poor weather having to deal with injuries & shock and safety and to on top deal with the stress & anxiety of dealing with this company in such terrible circumstances. 5 hours it took to get somewhere, it’s just disgraceful. Avoid at all costs!!!!"
"worst company ever"
"Terrible terrible service !!! Had my policy cancelled with them and the lack of communication within the company is shocking ! They told me my policy was cancelled by second class post no call no email and I received the document that said my policy was being cancelled on the day it was finished ! I made a claim with them in July 2017 to then be told in February 2018 my case is still not closed even though I paid my excess and collected my vehicle - everytime I have called I am told something different and the details change everytime ! I asked for my no claims certificate and was then told I should have received an email stating that I owe them £155 and they will not issue it to me without the full payment being made upfront - I was then told they had no idea about my claim WITH THEM and that they would need to get information from yet ‘another area’ to update my no claims before sending it which could take a few days - called them the next day to settle the balance only to be given another number to call to get my certificate only to be told apparently they have no certificate for me and to contact my previous insurers - by all means all staff members were nice and polite however no one knows what they are doing and clearly there is no internal communication between departments and lack of training !! AVOID the amount of stress for such a small and simple task is shociking"
"I passed my test last feb 2017. I decided to go with OYD as they were offering a good deal and as a first time driver it was an offer i had to accept. Which was taking on a blackbox. Now in some cases this is great but it caused me nothing buy hassle i was having to phone them every other month so complain about problems. Just after christmas i got an email of cancellation because apparently they hadn't been getting readings from my black box. I phoned to try get an explanation and all i got back was we shall investigate and get back to you. Only yesterday (15/01/2017) i phoned to say i wont be carrying on my policy with them and this morning i have an email with them saying everything was fine with my blackbox they've been getting readings all along. Shambles of a company charge you a load just to change a few simple things. Wouldn't advise this company at all and quite frankly don't think they should be in use anymore!"
"Worst car insurance provider I have ever used... In the 12 month I needed to make 3 changes to my account - address, adding business mileage, adding a named driver. They charged me £25 every change! I told them i was going to be late paying one month due to banking issue, they said no problem we will collect again in 7 days. 10 days past no collection of payment, only to receive a letter saying insurance would be cancelled. Finance company refused to reinstate payment plan even on instruction from insurers. Finally long wait times. I’ve always had to wait 30 mins - 1 hour to get through to anyone. Total joke !!"
"wow, shocking business, very convoluted...operating as...licensed by... avoid at all costs. They are part of a very large company, AUTONET. I would complain to them directly. My guess is this brand won't be around in 12 months time, not under this name anyway. They are making money by conning already pressured young drivers, ethically and morally bankrupt. My suggestion is that whoever took the time to write the reviews here should report them to the ombudsmen http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/, who will take action if they receive enough complaints, and the people that have lost out financially could well recover their money and then some."
"The app what they give you to track your driving is set to give you low scores even if you drive well. I made several test runs ensuring that i don't go over the speed limit at any given time and they still gave me a -10 (the worst score) for speed for the whole journey. They either want you to drive as some 90 year old granny, or this is how they get money by increasing premiums by next year. Please take my advice - avoid this company at all cost!!!"
Only Young Drivers is rated 1.18 based on 33 reviews