Lancaster Insurance Reviews

5PM
5PM

Tell us how Lancaster Insurance made you happy

Over a week
"Do a bit of online research to confirm this. Basically, they sell you a really cheap policy, then try to make unreasonable changes right away, then charge 40% or more of the original price, just to cancel. Rarely answer the phone, take several days to answer emails etc. etc. etc. One day this kind of thing will be illegal."
Are you Lancaster Insurance? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"I purchased insurance with Lanaster at the end of June and payed up for a whole year. I recently sold my car so phone up to cancel my Policy and see what my refund would be. I have only had this policy for under four months. The company claim I am not owed a refund, literally nothing back. I am disgusted at this company I had eight months left and not a penny! I used to rate Lancaster but my opinion of them now is in the gutter and I will NEVER use them again and will let people I know with classic cars about my experience with them. AVOID"
"I found this company on Go compare. I wanted to insure my 1999 Audi tt..it is insurable as a classic as it is 18 years old and used about 30 miles per week max. I gave a mileage declaration to verify this. On filling in my application there was a question,.,do you drive another vehicle besides this one? to which I answered Yes... I have 3 vans..one is a berlingo that I use always as my daily transport. Then the following question was do you own another car ? but gives no option for van, just car....So assuming this was to verify the fact that the vehicle I was insuring was a second occasional use vehicle I answered yes. I sent in my proof of no claims . During the next few days I was emailed and called by Lancaster requesting this no claims proof and milage declaration etc. I tried to call them 4 times but after long, long delays gave up. ( if you've tried to contact them you'll know what I mean) . Eventually I got through thinking all was well. I was asked questions like Do you owne another car. I said no..but I used a van every day instead. Did I have access to another car?..Yes I did, but it was my ex wifes car used in cases where our son needed to go with pals somewhere. . I was told neither of these situations counted and so the insurance would be cancelled. I was origionaly quoted just under 290 for the year. I had paid 40 deposit but had used only 3 weeks cover by then. . (I had 2 years previously insured with them under those very same conditions!.) Remarkably I was asked for 130 cancellation fee. ! Now i have received a letter from a collection agent. for 188.10 which I refuse to pay. ......Its in the bin by the way Lancaster... I will happily go to court over this . if its cost me 1000 ,there is a principle here. This company do not need to actually sell insurance if they are claiming huge fees of this kind on a regular basis. It would be very interesting to know just what percentage of their turnover comes from these heavy handed tactics. Finally,.. On a following quotes search to insure after this fiasco, Not knowing the company I contacted the cheapest provider using the telephone....( all calls recorded as per usual).. I explained that I was using a VAN as my first vehicle, not a car. I stated this several times.... I was offered a quote for £280. Yes £280 ..and guess who the company turned out to be?.. LANCASTER ... .Be warned, make one small mistake or even use your initiative on your application and you will give this outfit opportunity to sting you big time."
"I found them fairly straightforward. Yes, I cancelled a policy 6 weeks in and got no refund, but as the total paid was £94 for a year (classic policy) I wasn't expecting much. Most of the £94 will have gone into handling cost and commission - I think they quoted minimum £70 cost from the insurer and their own cancellation fee which exceeded what was left over, the excess being "waived"."
"""Pained to have to give them 1 star... I took out insurance with them after using a comparison website, answered all questions honestly and went on to purchase cover... Upon receiving the insurance documents, I noticed that they had classed my 2012 Toyota Yaris as a "Classic car" - I phoned them to query this decision and they tell me that I had mislead them as the [private] registration implied a much older vehicle and my policy was to be cancelled [by them!] that very day! I was left with a car, parked on a main road, uninsured and now have to declare to future insurers that I've had a policy cancelled which has increased my premium by more than £600!!! - Lancaster also kindly charged me a £70 fee for my trouble also... Please be careful if you want to insure with them, they may be cheap at first but I imagine their policies are worthless if you ever have to claim"
"Ripped me off when cancelling a car insurance policy - multiple categories of charges for cancellation - ended up surprise surprise I was entitled to no refund even though I had months of validity left on the policy - going to take the matter up with the financial ombudsman - my recommendation is don't touch this company with a barge pole buy your insurance from a firm that has morals and common decency"
"Was always impressed but recently have found always on hold and wrong information sent out to me. Am now seriously considering going elsewhere."
"Insurance broker told lies"
"Had a insurance policy sold car after 6wks, charged more for cancelling than cost of year. Really the worst company I've ever used and I've insured with a lot , but never have I had charges and excuses for these ridiculous charges like these. AVOID THIS COMPANY. I will never use or recommend this company"
"Cancelled after a month as I had sold the car. Time on risk for the month including cancellation cost more than the annual premium. Customer service is shocking with wait times in excess of 20 minutes. AVOID!!!!"
"On renewal forgot to mention an accident my wife had earlier in the year in another car (hit a deer so technically driver at fault!!??) Got a semi illiterate snotty letter from Lancaster demanding to know the details and why I had not told them but also "fining" me £30 (they call it an admin fee) for the mistake. I challenged them on this but they initially refused to waive the £30 so I complained and cancelled the insurance. Complaint was upheld and I did not pay the £30 and have now moved to Hagerty International where you get treated with respect although it is more expensive. Lancaster are cheap (in every sense) but will hit you with "admin" fees that are excessive."
"Went to cancel my insurance (3 months left) ( paid in full) told me they wanted to charge me £70 to cancel my fully paid upfront insurance and I am not entitled to any refund for the remaining months. perfect company until you want to cancel or amend anything.. RIP Off Merchants"
"Sold the car after 7 months they want to Charge me 59.97 it would have been better to leave the policy in place just a rip off. Will not use again"
"Have insured my classic cars with this company for many years, they have provided the best price backed up by a great service."
"good vakur no hassle brokers"
"Do not use these, Had a classic car for four months, sold the car rang to cancel and they charged me the whole year as it was over 120 days. Find another insurer"
"I accepted reasonable quote only to find that it was very difficult to prove my NCD to Lancaster Insurance. They wanted to charge me another £105.65 on top of the Insurance Premium already paid for £133.50 as they would not accept my No Claims past history. Although I have a Multi Car Policy with Admiral it is still on cover but shows a 9 year No Claim. I then sent Policy with Direct Line showing 8 Years and also a copy of Policy with Aviva showing 7 years No Claim but still they refused to accept that I have 9 years Plus. Previously, I had a Motor Dealer's Policy for 20 Years without any claim whatsoever. I'm Retired, 66 Years old, clean driving licence, no accidents at all over the past 25 years. The alternative they gave me is Pay the extra £105.65 and accept the non existence of No Claims or Cancel the Policy and pay for the 10 days cover plus a cancellation charge with a Refund of £87.27 from the original quote/charge of £133.50. In other words this has cost me £46.23 for 10 days cover! They also wanted to charge me an extra £46.50 for an Admin Charge for changing the total yearly mileage from 2,000 miles a year to 3,000 miles a year. I feel that I have been robbed, and that I my integrity has been questioned over my entitlement of No Claims. I couldn't believe the Reviews when I looked at the amount of negative reviews on this page and I wish I had read them before I paid Lancaster Insurance for car insurance. I "DO" have a No Claims Bonus of 9 years and all the other Insurance Companies seem to be able to accept my honesty, however I decided to cancel this Insurance rather than continue with what seems to me to be sharp practice. This was a horrible experience, and the tone of the E-Mails from this Company were appalling."
"Three different customer services representatives repeatedly asked for the same information,this despite having sent it the day I paid . I had to phone ( and give up on hold after ten minutes twice ) .Finally managed to speak to someone who even then could not see that I had accurately send NCD documents requested . No praise whatsover . I would not renew if it was free."
"LANCASTER INSURANCE THE worst company on the world please avoid this insurance if you Don't want lose money Rubbish Never again"
"Don't get quote unless you want to be harrassed! I got a quote online.. The next day someone called and I agreed for them to call me back the next day (tomorrow) when I will own the new car. Since then I have had 4 people all from the call centre asking me to complete the policy.. The price was good but not worth the hassle and other reviews say the same. AVOID."
Lancaster Insurance is rated 2.09 based on 152 reviews