John Lewis Insurance Reviews

38% of reviewers recommend John Lewis Insurance

How would you rate John Lewis Insurance?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

161 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
Christopher Bottomley

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about John Lewis Insurance in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
Christopher Bottomley
Verified Reviewer
"The facts are we have sent off well over a hundred emails to your claims department ... and the complaints department but no one ever responds ... so not the most helpful insurance company to deal with"
"In 4 years I have not been able to access my account on website as the server reports an error (tried from multiple computers on multiple browsers). Customer service says its been a known problem for several years - but only affects some people! Incredible this has not been fixed in this time (this is a business worth hundreds of millions). Maybe this is a scam to encourage interaction via phone, which presumably results in a commission for customer service rep ? I offered to help their tech team fix the problem as that is my profession - no response from JL. If I don't have faith in their basic operations, how can I have faith they will deliver if I ever need to make a claim ?"
Patricia Green
Verified Reviewer
"I have full cover home insurance with john Lewis. Recently the fridge of my AEG side by side fridge freezer kept icing up done the back panel. We called John Lewis and an engineer came out and duly said a part would need to be ordered. About a week later he returned with the part and began the repair. A short time later he told me that although he was able to fix the original problem, there was no point in doing so as his testing gadget had revealed a gassing problem which was not repairable so he was recommending a replacement fridge and that we would have to wait for it to go through the insurers. After waiting for some weeks I contacted the company to ask what was happening and was told that an email had been sent regarding the claim. The message had been sent to an email address the I do not use (John Lewis's Greenbee address).He was mumbling something about a cheque but didn't expand when i mentioned the fact that we used another email address so I didn't get the full gist the information. He asked for the email address that I used and i assumed he would resend the message but NO, instead today we have received cheque fo £499 ( cost of the original fridge). My policy states that, "If your product is uneconomical to repair, we will provide you with a replacement of the same make and model. Where the same make and model is not available, the replacement will be of a similar specification", The exact model that we have is no longer available however, it has been superseded by another of the exact dimension and appearance but the bottom shelf arrangement has been modified. Here's the problem though, this current model costs £699. I contacted the insurers but the person I spoke to immediately went into a list of excuses why they wouldn't replace the fridge with said newer version. First he said the point in the policy should have an extra clause added saying .... he didn't actually finish what it should have said. Then he said it was because they can't give us the £699 fridge as it was obviously not of a similar spec'. Our old one is at least 5 yrs old so costs are bound to have increased in that time so I don't see that as a good enough reason to refuse our request. Then he said he couldn't send the extra £200 as I had accepted the £499 - the original person I spoke to had put in his records that I had accepted the offer of £499 so i pointed out that I had not received the offer so no way had I accepted it and furthermore, I was still waiting for the original offer to be resent to my correct email address! Finally I did point out that since it was one half of a side-by-side appliance it was ludicrous not to provide an exact match (If one is available) irrespective of any modifications that the passage of time has accrued in the current model. I would not be recommended this company. With our previous insurers our policy was a like for like replacement policy and this what we were buying into when we changed to John Lewis. Its no good people saying well its not actually John Lewis. Thats just loyalty speaking and I'm as loyal a devotee as the next man but john Lewis should not put their name to services which are at the very least second rate. They should keep a watchful eye on companies that they direct business to, or, stick to what they are good at - never knowingly being undersold! I shall be changing insurers at the renew date."
"John Lewis Home Insurance is administered by RSA who use CET as their supplier for fixing any Home Emergencies. Be warned that CET are a complete shambles of a company to deal with based on our experience. On Monday 8th Jan I called John Lewis (RSA) for assistance with a faulty boiler which had resulted in no hot water or heating for our home. RSA passed this to CET who called me that same day to arrange an engineer for the following day. All fine so far. On Tuesday 9th the engineer came and made his assessment of the requirements to fix the problem and reported that it would need to be approved by RSA then parts etc could be ordered. Still ok at this point. We then had no further communication from CET until Friday 12th at which time they informed me that the repair had been approved by RSA, that parts had been ordered and that we would get a call when the repair could be done. Starting to get frustrating to be cold after 5 days and still no appointment to fix it... The following Thursday I had to call John Lewis (RSA) to make a complaint that we had not heard anything back and were still cold. CET then rung me and siad they could get an engineer to us the following Monday - TWO WEEKS after the incident! In the end we insisted that we use our own trusted service engineer to do the fix (two powerhead valves and a flush) and CET are paying for the job plus providing £100 in compensation. Incidentally, on Monday 8th when we first spoke with John Lewis my service engineer said that the parts could be delivered next day and that he could be available the day after. CET told us that it took from 11th to 15th to get the parts! Having looked online at many plumbing suppliers these are readily available so no idea what CET were doing except trying to cover their own failings... Definitely would not recommend and have transfered to Direct Line Select which also offers a more comprehensive level of cover."
Athene Fridge
Unverified Reviewer
"My father has the Premier level of home insurance with John Lewis, which he renewed in December. He cancelled his emergency cover with British Gas believing he was fully covered by his John Lewis policy. Waking up on Monday morning, my parents who are in their seventies discovered that neither their central heating nor their hot water was working. They phoned the emergency helpline first thing and were told someone would call them back, they missed a call at 1400 (due to being in the attic looking to see if they could find out what was wrong) and my father then spent 35 minutes on hold to the company John Lewis had put him in touch with before being told they might be able to get someone out on Thursday. As it happens, they did get someone out Tuesday morning but he had no idea what to do. He came back on Wednesday and said he thought perhaps a power flush would clear the blockage but he'd have to get back to his head office to get back to the insurers to get back to my parents to tell them if they were covered. On Thursday the John Lewis insurers finally got back to tell my parents that only the boiler was covered so they were on their own. It's now Friday and my father's been in contact with a local plumbing and heating company who have sent someone round to have a look and see if they can fix it. In short, all that having emergency cover from John Lewis has achieved is to delay my seventy-year old plus parents having access to heating and hot water by more than a week in the middle of January. They will have to cover the full cost and, until the local company can get someone booked in, they will have to continue boiling kettles to do the washing up and to wash themselves using buckets and jugs as they don't have an electric shower or an immersion heater. I can't comment on the rest of the policy but the John Lewis emergency cover is worth less than the paper it's written on."
"They can't handle their call volumes - there are 30 minute+ wait times on their lines which is a very 1990's thing"
"Our central heating boiler stopped working. Called John Lewis who then said they'd transfer us to the team dealing with this. The line went silent and there was no transfer. In the end I killed the call. Nobody called back so I called JL again. After waiting ages on hold I was diverted again and kept waiting several minutes. Eventually CET Home emergencies picked-up. The CET call centre guy was hopeless - he really shouldn't be in a customer-facing role. Now after 2 hours of negligible progress I'm told to wait another 1.5 hours for a call-back from someone who might be able to help. Most unimpressed so far - will update"
ChoseJLforreputation
Unverified Reviewer
"roof damage , water internally, unable to use electrics whilst listening to drips - quoted 1 week for surveyor to assess !!!!!!!"
Mrs P-Southend On Sea, Essex
Verified Reviewer
"That's worse experience of my life ever. They staff at their call centre have no knowledge on specifics to do with pay-outs for a claim. Lax attitude with customer empathy and always had to do ring back as you couldn't get through. Cunningham Lindsay acting as loss adjusters couldn't manage a drink up in a brewery. I had to complain about first Claims Manager as they were useless with overseeing and instructing, the second one appointed was better but always talked over you when you were speaking. JSL a building company based in Basildon, that they contracted to do our repair work were useless and rude (we ended up doing the repairs ourselves) after being let down as there was no communication between them and Cunningham Lindsay. The only company that were good were Rainbow International, as they were honest, always in touch and very helpful. I would not recommend JOHN LEWIS HOME Insurance to any one. They have made a very traumatic and stressful time even worse for myself and my family and I will be referring my case to the Ombudsman, as a email complaint to John Lewis was never replied to ....."
Deborah Mason
Unverified Reviewer
"John Lewis Insurance use CET for their home emergency service and they subsequently subcontract to other contractors, in our case SURE maintenance services. We have had maintenance engineers out six times and we have been without hot water and heating for over two weeks in the run up to Christmas. CET are absolutely appalling and totally unprofessional in dealing with any queries regarding our ongoing boiler repair. As an example I was kept on hold for twenty four minutes when trying to chase up the engineers to revisit us. If you have a choice please avoid the John Lewis Home emergency service as it is not worth the paper it is written on."
"Just received our home insurance renewal letter with an annual increase of 22% and a statement saying "As you have been with us for a number of years you may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around." An official John Lewis statement informing me how foolish I am to show them any loyalty!!!"
"Not received paperwork and unable to access account on-line despite payment taken by company on 4th December- so not even able to cancel and go elsewhere. Have telephoned twice and been told they need to contact the technical team- promised call back today now 10.20 am and no contact"
"I had my iPad stole, reported to the police and made the claim and during the claim it came up that I had omitted to mention a very minor subsidence 21 years ago. They have just called back to say that they have voided the insurance since they would not have given me this insurance. This is rubbish since I just did a quote on their site and its given me a quote and it only asked about claims in the last nine years. So its just an excuse to get out the claim, usual form for insurance companies."
"Being burgled is horrible. John Lewis made it worse. I have their best home and contents cover and was appalled. Disdainful, offhand first contact, slow response and fiddly, refuted claim. And after all that they would have underpaid even more if I hadn't noticed they'd got their sums wrong. The complete opposite of their advertised service."
Worst Experience In Claiming Home Contents Insurance
Unverified Reviewer
"Worst experience for Home Contents Insurance I have come across. We had a leak from the upstairs neighbours flat in august 2017. We have just had a baby so getting all this sorted asap was key. I had also mentioned this to the insurers. We had sent everything the insurance had asked for including any receipts that we had. Yet still they ask for receipts for items such as duvets, sheets, cheap costume jewellery which we have told countless times we do not have as this is not something we keep in receipts. They brought in a company RENEW to look at our carpets and initially refused to change the carpet in the baby's room even though the carpet was completely flooded with waste waster. After much arguing we managed to get the carpet replaced. Apart from this, nothing else has been done. We have been without a BED to sleep on until now (NOV 8 2017). We have had to buy our baby a new COT ourselves as they have yet to pay this. They refused to pay for our damaged electric blinds and remote control which we were told the buildings insurance was responsible. We spoke to the buildings insurance company and they had said no this is part of contents. Our buildings insurance company when they were notified they completed their work within 2 weeks. Insurance company is not John lewis, it is underwritten from some other insurance company LMG. So no, you will not receive any replaced items from John Lewis. I do advise to AVOID this company and look at the more reputable Insurance Companies out there who actually care about their customers."
"Paying for premier cover yet they do not cover anything to do with gas. Even with regards to trace and access of a gas leak. Awful. Its covered on the cheapest policy with other companies. We wish we had never changed provider. Avoid John Lewis if you have any gas supply to your house."
"Probably the worst insurance experience I have had in over 25 years of various companies. Flooded bathroom no emergency callout provided that i had paid for aenybwrong engineer twice and on third day told me it as best to source my own plumber and bill them . Failed to pay out for good damaged. Called at 11pm to say they couldn't find anyone to come out ..aftet telling me that at 8pm. Reported to ombudsmen as they failed to pay for good water damaged. For my £800 premium shockingly poor service . Awful service from John Lewis avoid at all costs. 8"
Chris.hale@sky.com
Verified Reviewer
"Have had all my electric trip out call emergency cover line premier cover . call 6 35pm j lewis said they would call back 8pm no call ever came back . I did explain our only heating source was electric cooking lights fridge ect i called them back 3 time they said they were uable to find a electrician in cornwall ,we are 67yrs old none disable with injections stored in fridge we have no electic they called back offerd hotel 11 50pm ,But still could no find electrician or get me a time of one arriving ,9.00 am had a call from j lewis a electrian would arrive 2.0 pm 20 hrs later at the moment i am still waiting EMERGENCY PREMIER I DO NOT THINK SO DISCUSTING SERVICE chris hale in camel ford cornwall"
"Home emergency - water leaking through wall from waste pipe above kitchen which flooded fuse box. Mugged off by having to handle the claim myself between JL (Royal Sun Alliance), an emergency company called CET and a loss adjuster called Cunningham Lindsay. I had to call all three entities numerous times and was given a different explanation, outcome and costs every time. I was told that flooding houses and wet fuse boxes do not constitute an 'emergency' and I that because I have another bathroom it matters not that I have a new born in the house. Apparently JL insurance does not cover waste pipes, water damage, or quite frankly anything that is written in the policy. I have literally just got off the phone to CET and cancelled the claim as I believe I could probably get the work done locally for similar to the excess quoted and without having to deal with THREE separate disconnected companies all with their own agenda. NOTHING TO DO WITH RETAIL JOHN LEWIS....AVOID!!!"
"Took out lifetime cover pet insurance. SNEAKILY they increased the premium without authorization each year. It's now more than double, and the dog is only 4 years old. There has never been a single claim! I contacted them to complain. The said they would get back to me, but it may take a few days, still waiting, months later and they are still taking the unauthorized amount from the bank."
John Lewis Insurance is rated 2.52 based on 161 reviews