John Lewis Insurance Reviews

29% of reviewers recommend John Lewis Insurance
02AM
2AM

Tell us how John Lewis Insurance made you happy

"It's certainly not "high quality cover from a name you can trust" We had an electrical fault in our car which caused a fire 26 days ago... we are still awaiting JL underwriters (Sabre) to make payment for the vehicle which they have deemed uneconomically viable for repair & it looks like it will be another 2 or 3 days before they send me a cheque. Who on earth pays out by cheque in 2019???!!! By the time the cheque clears we will have had no car for 5, possibly 6 weeks & instead of a 30 min commute each way to work it's taking 2 hours in each direction. There is no service whatsoever at any level & you get passed around from call centre to call centre with no one willing to take ownership."
Are you John Lewis Insurance? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"JL Home Insurance have the most appalling customer service, data protection and interpretation of FCA principles. 2 stars are given as a review? - 1 is my experience. Do not honour claims and inconsistently allow Assessors to become involved and not disabled friendly. Once our go to provider, but never again would I purchase from the brand."
"Very pleased with the easily used application website for car insurance and the price. My car was a write off after being hit by a speeding driver. John Lewis acted quickly, but COVEA, who do the legal work were slow and I had to phone several times before I received satisfactory service. They let John Lewis down badly ."
"Grievious incompetence; incredible belligerance; clearly uses delay tactics; refusal to escalate matters; herculean effort needed to get resolution (8 weeks and 6.5 hours of my time, and counting, so far); will try every trick in the book to avoid paying out; and will offer far below market prices. Trust me and others here, who have experirenced first hand, the incredible world of John Lewis insurance. Take heed."
"Desperate Home Insurance policy, totally unfriendly to disabled user: my poor 86 year old mother has been treated ghastly. I could never recommend this service. Once our go to provider, we now totally avoid. I had to cancel her policy due to loyalty annual price hikes with out due explanation. Ignored her claim for 10 months and still attempt to restrict claim. I would give -1 star if it were possible !"
"When I called up to make a claim, the staff applied their own version of events to the claim to justify refusing the claim and applied their own incorrect understanding of terminology used in the terms & conditions to also justify refusing the claim. When I complained about the way I had been dealt with was inappropriate (The FCA agreed that there had been two breaches of their principles and lodged a complaint against John Lewis Home Insurance and issued a reference number) and that wording of their terms & conditions was unclear, the person replying to my complaint stubbornly refused (over two letters) to enter into meaningful dialogue about the valid points I raised and closed the case off out of convenience rather than accept they were wrong. I spent a whole day on the phone dealing with people who were out of their depth or didn't know what they were talking about or what to do. I took out the insurance policy because I trusted the name 'John Lewis' and have multiple disabilities and can't do my own repairs. When I was sold the policy the agent stated that it was 'unlimited' cover. When I stated that I had been mis-sold the policy the reply in the letter, despite my complaint featuring legally valid points, was to call customer services to decide whether I wanted to continue the policy or not. When I called customer services they told me that it was down to the claims team to deal with the issues I raised against them and was given the run-around and put into some continuous call loop that took ages to get a reply from somebody (I'm still no further along). On closer inspection of the policy wording, a 'premium' policy which I paid extra for, the lack of clarity in the wording makes it difficult to understand what is meant. BBC Rip Off Britain states that a business has a responsibility to make their terminology clear. If the ratings scale on this page featured negative quantities John Lewis Home Insurance would score -5 based on my experience with them. I've has insurance policies with other companies which have been OK but have to say that this is the worst experience I've ever had in terms of customer service, competence and help. It was a totally distressing experience that left me worried and wanting to cry."
"I can't recommend John Lewis insurance enough. There's not difficult to deal with and their terms are not unfair. It's a simple straight forward home insurance with no hidden terms. I've claimed twice with them and they were brilliant. I can't really see myself leaving them (ever)."
"Think John Lewis means great customer care and high standards? Think again. We had an absolute nightmare from the very start of trying to sort out a genuine, serious escape of water claim and it's not over yet! This has been the most depressing and time wasting experience with JL (or, more accurately, RSA) constantly low balling and attempting to wriggle out of their insurer's obligations. From aggressively trying to force us to accept less than 33% of the true value of the claim to suggesting we all (2 adults, a 3 year old and a 5 year old) move into a family room at the local Premier Inn for 6 weeks with no cooking facilities, this whole experience has been horrendous. Spread the word and AVOID these crooks, they simply DO NOT care about you."
"John Lewis have completely lost it with this one. Want the personal touch or the customer care we are used to enjoying. You get a figures from trades men but you have to agree to any estimate they put in being the only cost you will be paid. Leaving the householder as we did paying for unforseen problems. We have been a JL customer since before we got married 35 yes ago. We changed to JL insurance because we trusted them and were used to their exceptional customer service. Forget customer service here. When we got a quote for house insurance we forgot about one small claim for a stolen bike. We put all other claims in from before and after that claim, an expensive error oud premium ballooned. To ghe point we pay far more than we did previously. Do use this insurance it sucks."
"Awful experience. we haven't ever claimed before and had a leak which flooded the downstairs. We've had to arrange the whole job ourselves whilst the insurance company kept putting hurdles in our way and withheld monies until the job was completed... would never go with these muppets again"
"Pet Insurance My insurance has gone up £78.11 this year £575.40 to £653.51. The only variable is that my dog is 1 year older !!! I rang Customer Services and asked for an explanation as to why the premium has increased and was told 1. They take into account that VET fees had increased. Great but my dog hasn't had any treatment from the VET. 2. They look at the breed "standard schnauzer" and look to see if any condition is prevailing that my pet might be susceptible to. Great but my dog doesn't have an existing condition regardless of the breed. When I asked what options I had to reduce the annual premium I was advised that I had 3 options 1. Cancel policy and go elsewhere 2. Increase my excess 3. Change cover level. Ooops it appears that my policy renewal date was 3 days ago. So options left available to me Option 1 Cancel policy. Option 2 Shut up and put up the cash. GREAT!!! Be very careful once you've signed up your stuck!"
"Appalling customer service, their emergency cover not worth the paper written on. They opt you into this Emergency Home cover, but refuse to help when you call them. If you call them, just say you know nothing about your house, every question is designed to catch you out. Abysmal, hate them and Waitrose, overpriced food."
"JL Insurance are now underwritten by RSA who are abysmal a straight forward robbery claim has taken 8 weeks to sort out. more than 130 pieces of correspondence between RSA, their 3rd parties and myself. have been asking for their final statement so I can escalate this to the ombudsman and still nothing. Insure with anyone else other than John Lewis."
"Been insured with them for four years massives price increasethis year. I have not made a claim phoned them up asking if they could do anything on the price and nothing from them at all. Been payng nearly £1000 per year no regard for loyalty!"
"Had Premium home insurance with them, never had a claim for donkeys years, swallowed the increase in premium last year but after another 25% increase this year went to another first class well recommended company for the same deal at less than half the price. Pay it if you're daft enough, I didn't."
"Complete nightmare! - Do not even consider... Happy to take the money but beware if you need to make a claim. Just pass you on to the underwriters who expect you to do all investigations even liaising with the police when my car was stolen?! What are their investigators paid to do?? Never reached a settlement they just made it so complicated we were left to swallow the loss"
"very slow to answer phone did not send documents after renewal claimed that i had declined documents I should not have had that option could not register to field documents online filled in all questions no response to registration wasting my time"
"66% quote increase from year 1 to year 2 ... loyalty?? Sustainable customers? No and no"
"Similar story to others on this site. Long standing customer of John Lewis Insurance - no claims. High spender in both Waitrose and JL stores and on line. Originally moved to JL for reasons of trust and customer service. This year they have lost our car insurance and now property insurance. The reasons for the price increases - 20% in our case for property just do not stack up. I was immediately offered two options by a very polite customer service rep - a £30 JL voucher or the option to reduce my premiums by putting up the excess. Apparently their business model needs to work and it only does by charging these prices - look at it again then! I've spent quite a lot of time researching this afternoon and find comparable cover (disregarding new customer discounts) elsewhere for approximately 45% of JL charge. As I've never made a claim, I have no experience of different companies customer service but I'm not prepared to spend that much more on the remote chance that I might need to find out. Very disappointing - never, knowingly undersold? Really? That might be more difficult to apply to financial products, I accept, but surely JL should be in the same ball park as others."
"Quite disappointed that loyalty these days doesn't count. Even though I have been insuring my contents through JL for 5 years now, my content insurance increased by 40% this year. We've never made a claim in our 5 years with them and are in the same property with the same list of contents. Will definitely be looking at quotes elsewhere when it gets closer to the renewal date."
John Lewis Insurance is rated 2.20 based on 215 reviews