John Lewis Insurance Reviews

John Lewis Insurance have a Customer Happiness Grade of C. Customers are happy with their prices and customer service but are unhappy with their refunds. Full Insights

32% of reviewers recommend John Lewis Insurance
8PM
8PM
Telephone

How would you rate John Lewis Insurance ?

"Have already spent 20 minutes on phone trying to get help. The slowest emergency service ever!"
"My premium has increased by 16% this year, even though CPI is only 2.3% and RPI 3.2%. This is how JL rewards its loyal customers? They are no better than other companies that try this con trick. Don't buy their insurance!"
"Ha wouldn’t touch them with a barge poll!! There accredited tradesman flooded my home with sewage Boxing Day we still arnt home we’ve been in alternative accommodation ... the damage the company has caused has gone against me even though it was proved it was there accredited tradesman and all I got aoffered was £250... an insult ! They flooded it again .. we lost possessions that cannot be replaced ... I was sick of staying in the local premier inn so found a 2 bed house to rent to start off with and we stayed there ever since .. 5 of us has been a bit much and not once did they offer a like for like living arrangement ... we have a 5 bed.. And they have tripled the price of my policy ! Do not use !!!! Never ever in 16 years of having insurance have ever dealt with the idiots i have dealt with ! It’s like They Employ people that know nothing about what they are doing !"
"Over 23% increase in home insurance although no claims since 2009. No negotiation on price"
"Tried to get away with an inflation busting increase renewal price of over 25% from the previous year, despite a claim never being made. Tried to justify it by saying they now take the number of bathrooms into account (which hasn't changed, it's still one). Not willing to negotiate on the price despite cheaper quotes for comparable coverage and that's how you lose business. Can't recommend, the price is simply not competitive any more."
"Don’t ever buy pet insurance from John Lewis. Initial quote seems fine but example yearly increases: 37% if claim free, 67% if you’ve had one very small claim. Goodness knows what the increase would be if a pet wasn’t generally in excellent health."
"Just had renewal through and prices risen by over 22% on last year's premium but I have not claimed anything. Disgusted with that extortionate price hike so will not be renewing. They will have no customers left at this rate. I was already paying an expensive premium supposedly to get good customer service but this is anything but."
"Massive price hikes when no claims have been made."
"The worst insurance company! Pray you don't have to claim anything broken in your household. Unfortunately, my tv was damaged and now they are using bevalued and using every trick in the book to stop my claim from going through. Never mind I have 'new for old' replacement policy, a month in and I still don't have a replacement. They are trying to reduce their liability as much as possible regardless of the fact that I paid them an upfront premium. John Lewis are crooks!"
"Claimed for removal of wasp nest under the Home emergency cover. Was asked (by 3 different people) for location - roof level to the side of a dormer window. Pest control turn up with no ladders - guy that came out was lovely but had no idea what job he was coming to do! He said it happens all the time as the job description has gone through about 4 different people before it gets to him. You can’t speak to John Lewis themselves as everything is contracted out to CET. There you speak to a call centre who employ a contractor to do the work. Guy at my house rings CET to complain that he’s not been given correct information to do the work only to be told he’s not insured to go up a ladder-first he’s heard of it and he’s been with them for years! He then has to go away and await further instructions. Several phone calls later and I am told someone will ring me with another appointment- for 2 people to come out. Why they couldn’t give me onevthere and then, I have no idea. I have chased it up but as yet, still no appointment..... Hardly the ‘high level of service you would expect’ from John Lewis. Policy is due for renewal shortly and I will be going straight back to Aviva who were excellent when we used them previously."
"I like using John Lewis and I am willing to pay (say) 5% over cheaper insurers in order to have confidence but when it came to renewing my home insurance the excess for things like water damage had increased but worse.. the premium increased by 18% over last year for equivalent cover ... that is an obscene increase. I was able to obtain the same cover from Aviva for £148 instead of the £296 quoted by JL. Did you think we wouldnt notice or something? Very annoyed."
"Bought a laptop from John Lewis Order number: 127497075. Was faulty within a month (Not JL fault). They initially refused a returns, even though the laptop was a month old and tried to pass to manufacturer. Now they have accepted the returns, have failed to refund my £519.99 and kept the laptop. John Lewis are crooks, but paint a good picture to the public. DO NOT TRUST THESE WITH THEIR FAKE WARRANTIES."
"16th March 2018 driving alone in the rural village of Clanfield, Oxfordshire, my car went down one of the many potholes and I had a flat tyre. I called and called the J L emergency number but no answer. Just left holding to speak to someone or just cut off. In the meantime a lovely couple offered to help. In the freezing weather conditions as dusk falling they went home to get the tools needed and thankfully returned to help. I was frightened. In the meantime I was kept holding and holding on the line endlessly. They too were disgusted there was no answer from J L. As they changed my car tyre ( I had already double checked the J L number, I called again but still no answer. What is the point of J L car insurance if you can't speak to anyone when you need help or in an emergency? I am a senior citizen driving alone. I felt frightened. Be warned! I"
"My 2018 renewal has just come in with a 20% price increaae. When I rang JL it is because they have had a lot of claims and apparently everyone's policies have increased. I have to say I don't really care about other price increases as I'm not paying them. So having shopped around I have numerous quotes from reputable companies that are 50% less than JL. Sorry JL I don't want pay for all the claims you have paid out for others, you agent could do nothing to help so I won't be renewing."
"Hi I would not recommend John Lewis break down service.or the insurance.my bmw was damaged by break down service 8000 pounds worth of damage and know one wanted to know.I am now seeking legal advice."
"My mother has had a subsidence Insurance claim on going now for 11 months. The drainage work was “finished” 6 months ago. But when it rains the drains still flood. The kitchen remains half tiled and the contractors keep not turning up even after complaints are made. I think John Lewis Insurance are taking advantage of people having faith in the John Lewis brand. When they really are sub contracting out to cowboy outfits."
"My policy said I had breakdown cover selected so for 3 years I renewed the policy. Then when I needed it I am told "selected" doesn't mean it is selected at all. Oh no, it has to have a tick alongside it. Pity I am not telepathic. A plain English policy? Wholly misleading."
"I've insured with JL, using their Premier level Buildings and Contents insurance, for 4 years - and have just received my renewal for what would be a 5th year. Each time I have been sent a renewal premium it has increased way beyond inflation, and each time I have called them and they have either reduced it, or shown me a slightly different policy which has kept the premium roughly the same. A couple of years ago i simply went online, reapplied, and got the same policy for nearly £150.00 less than my renewal quote (there was one fairly minor difference, but nothing that should have justified a difference of £150). This year (2018) my combined buildings and contents premium has risen from £618 to £713 and when I called them I was told that "because your buildings premium has gone down by £9.00 that's why the contents premium has increased (by nearly £100). It was obvious the guy didn't know what he was talking about, and when i pressed him he muttered something about "we now have to take the number of bathrooms into consideration". At this point I gave up! At the very least they should provide some explanation on the renewal letter as to why the premium has jumped by so much; on principle I'm not paying a 15% increase when I haven't made a claim, and no other comprehensible reason for the increase has been provided. They did the same with my Pet insurance earlier this year - I saved over £100.00 by insuring elsewhere"
"Chaotic: website payment down. Documents saying the wrong thing. Demanded large increase in premium fore minor modification. Not impressed"
"I wish I’d read reviews on this site rather than going with Which? recommendation to get Home Insurance Cover from John Lewis. We have been let down at every stage by John Lewis and their subcontractors without heating and hot water for more than ten days with repeated failure to do what they promised. Countless times we’ve been assured that someone will call back when it didn’t happen; it took them four days to approve a quote for the necessary boiler part by which time it was the weekend so there were no deliveries and we had to wait even longer. The only reason we even got an engineer booked to come out was by calling to ask for updates only to discover that despite the approval they hadn’t bothered to contact the engineer. When he eventually came he didn’t do what we were told he would ( in the house 30 mins not 5 hours) so I’m not convinced the problem has been effectively solved and we are also still waiting 5 working days (7 including the weekend) for the complaints department to respond to us. Apparently they will call is within three days of the complaint being made. Still waiting! Dreadful service and no sense of urgency despite the cover being called Home Emergency. Don’t buy this insurance"
John Lewis Insurance is rated 2.33 based on 188 reviews

Get ready for our phone call!